Intercostal Muscle Pain

Since: Oct 13

Hartsdale, NY

#1 Oct 3, 2013
I've had some problems with my intercostal muscles in my back on and off for a few years now. Not sure how I aggravate
this condition, could be from exercising too much. I also might have irritated these muscles from camping out recently because I was sleeping on my back. I'm in late 40's been training with weightsfor over 20 years and am still quite strong for my age.
I also swim regularly and am working up to a mile in the
pool a couple of times a week.
Today I am in alot of pain, very stiff and sore, haven't slept well for a couple of weeks now.
I did go to the doctor yesterday- he gave me some muscle
relaxers to help relax and pain medicine as well. I'm wondering about asking for a cortisone shot. I heard these shots can
offer relief for months.
I hope the shot might give me a few months of no pain while I do other exercises to strengthen the weak area.
I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a cortisone shot for this problem, or someone who might have had a similar experience.
Additionally I'm looking for some exercises that can help to loosen up the stiffness. I 'd like to start doing some simple exercises at home to strengthen the area in a week or so when this episode passes. Later in a couple of weeks - depending on what happens with the cortisone shot - I'd like to resume my full
schedule in the gym with some new exercises.

Thanks to anyone willing to offer some help !

Jim

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weight Training Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New kickboxing gym opens in Liverpool (Jun '16) Apr 12 test 3
Help with Formula Ventures BodyTech machine (Jan '09) Mar '17 Motleyman64 112
News Strongman gym boss dies in freak accident when ... (Oct '09) Feb '17 Phartiano 14
News Meet the teenage sex swap lovers (Jul '13) Feb '17 saqi49 185
cambridge and pure cleanse Jan '17 ANTISTALKINGBTYCHES 1
Good Morning ! (Nov '13) Jan '17 centurion 3
superstar adidas femme blanche le logo heat de... (Oct '16) Oct '16 sharomi 1
More from around the web