Feel drained/overtrained from hitting...

Feel drained/overtrained from hitting the gym too much - Please advice

Posted in the Weight Training Forum

Tom Ballack

Lowestoft, UK

#1 Dec 20, 2011
I have been going to the gym now for 8 months doing a weight training routine suggested by the gym instructor I saw and I am starting to feel burnt out from the intensity.

I haven't taken any time off (I train 6 times in a week) and my gym instructor says to keep at it and work through the fatigue. I have been reading around and one should be taking some days off after bouts of training hard yet he says that taking time off is nonsense. My joints ache and I am not motivated any more to hit the gym so I just go because I have a one year contract.

This article talks about how to recognize when you are overtrained and I tick all the points suggested.

http://www.manlycurls.com/2011/07/learn-when-...

I think taking some rest would benefit me at this stage, despite what my gym instructor says, but I don't know how to go about it. Shall I do some light weights when I rest, maybe some cardio? How much rest is too much? According to the article I should take a week off because I honestly feel like crap (achy joints and I cannot fall asleep every time I weight train).

Please, recommend me how to proceed to take a rest period as I have made some good gains and I don't want to lose them.

Thanks!

Tom

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weight Training Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News L-Arginine (Nov '11) Jan 30 Cora 44
Is there a better method of losing weight? Jan 20 momo 2
News Exclusive a " Edward Klein: Is Hillary Clinton ... Jan 17 Ritual Habitual 1
News Diabetes requires aerobic plus weight exercise,... (Nov '10) Jan 13 aronpunwatkar 11
Weight loss at home ? Nov '15 RudolphMCasey 2
What's your best weight loss tip? Nov '15 RudolphMCasey 4
Foods best for fat loss? Nov '15 RudolphMCasey 3
More from around the web