Fat camp shows China battling the bulge

Aug 27, 2011 Full story: MSNBC 13

A man lifts weight as part of his training during a six-week program at the Bodyworks weight loss campus in Beijing, China, on Friday.

Full Story

Since: Jun 10

Guangzhou, China

#1 Aug 27, 2011
There is a McDonalds or KFC every 200 yards in China these days, what to expect?

“I'm From the USA, 5 Years Here”

Since: May 10

Haungshi, China

#2 Aug 27, 2011
According to some on these forums, the Chinese face mass starvation everyday.

Just think, the biggest export the USA has to China these days is fat.

Since: Aug 08

Shanghai, China

#3 Aug 27, 2011
Jim Em wrote:
I like Starbucks! Although it's a bit fattening too bit one cup a day is serving me just fine.
MICHELIN BABY

New York, NY

#4 Aug 27, 2011
I admit I enjoy Starbucks, KFC, Popeyes, Church's, Checker Burger, etc etc! lol

Haungshi, China

#5 Aug 27, 2011
MICHELIN BABY wrote:
I admit I enjoy Starbucks, KFC, Popeyes, Church's, Checker Burger, etc etc! lol
With no disrespect intended, and based on your user name and what you said, are you built like a tire?

Shanghai, China

#6 Aug 27, 2011
Jim Em wrote:
And Corn

Haungshi, China

#7 Aug 27, 2011
dzhou wrote:
<quoted text>
And Corn
I thought it was soybeans

Shanghai, China

#8 Aug 27, 2011
Jim Em wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought it was soybeans
I guess both. Corn are imported as animal feed

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#9 Aug 27, 2011
Every nation will have this problem as fast food chains develop. It's really a sad thing, not only the fat, but the poor quality food instead of home cooked.

Tibetan have this problem in the States especially; not used to that kind of fat and processed sugars. Native Americans even more so.
HJT

New York, NY

#10 Aug 27, 2011
So let's have dim sum then. Your treat of course.

Haungshi, China

#11 Aug 28, 2011
When I first came to China in 2003, I saw a McDonalds in Beijing with a line of people snaking its way out the door, next door was a Chinese restaurant almost empty.

I thought, how sad.

Then when I was in the forbidden city, right smack dab in the middle I found a Starbucks. Inside were foreign tourists getting their latte fix for the day, all at western prices. I felt like burning the place down. Since then, the people in Beijing voted the Starbucks out.

I am not surprised that China has now opened up fat farms. I see many overweight kids, who's parents seem to think feeding them burgers and fries is a way to be a good parent.

As much as I like a good burger from time to time, I think it would be nice if China was the first country to declare that type of food a health menace and tax the hell out of it.

Shanghai, China

#12 Aug 28, 2011
Jim Em wrote:
When I first came to China in 2003, I saw a McDonalds in Beijing with a line of people snaking its way out the door, next door was a Chinese restaurant almost empty.
I thought, how sad.
Then when I was in the forbidden city, right smack dab in the middle I found a Starbucks. Inside were foreign tourists getting their latte fix for the day, all at western prices. I felt like burning the place down. Since then, the people in Beijing voted the Starbucks out.
I am not surprised that China has now opened up fat farms. I see many overweight kids, who's parents seem to think feeding them burgers and fries is a way to be a good parent.
As much as I like a good burger from time to time, I think it would be nice if China was the first country to declare that type of food a health menace and tax the hell out of it.
Yea, but I think your congressmen will raise hell if China does that. I think China should limit the amount of restaurant per city so its not so easily available.
Mars

Muscat, Oman

#13 Aug 28, 2011
Whereas KFCs, McDonald’s have taken advantage of Chinese population’s curiosity for affordable “western food”, I don’t hesitate to applause their successful marketing from technical point of view. Plus if the food itself didn’t taste good, no one would visit twice any of those outlets.

What we eat is certainly important to our health, what kind of life style we lead is at least equally important. City dwellers tend to be less active due to lack of fitness facilities, busy schedule, or other excuses, which of course burns fewer calories; plus stress from work, family…(and experts say the more stress we feel, the more we eat (true on me))… no wonder more and more people in cities are overweight. This is happening not only in China, but also in the Gulf region where I live. What amazes me is how much the society is lagging behind in terms of awareness of health. In Europe you see people exercise sports on weekends- hiking, jogging, cycling… here you see people eat, sit, and talk, and eat again… all the time..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weight Training Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Meet the teenage sex swap lovers (Jul '13) Fri hey 183
Mobile unit offers free mammogram screening Dec 8 Doug 1
77-Year-Old Grandma Willie Murphy Deadlifts 215... Nov 30 Pride 4
Bodybuilding Tips For Vegans & Vegetarians (Sep '09) Nov '14 sushil864 2
These Christian swingers like sharing Bible ver... Sep '14 Tom 1
Editorial: Labor costs weighing down Postal Ser... Sep '14 ICTDCO 2
Workout Plan for 14 Year Old (Jul '07) Aug '14 Your a fcking retard 29
More from around the web