Gold's Gyms in Corte Madera, Bay Area to cut ties with parent company

Full story: Marin Independent Journal

Gold's Gym franchises in Corte Madera and elsewhere in the Bay Area plan to cut their ties with the bodybuilding chain over its CEO's contributions to a Karl Rove-backed group.
Comments
21 - 40 of 44 Comments Last updated May 17, 2011
new gym

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

They might as well change the name of the gym to a "Bath House". Then maybe we can get the ice skating ring back!

Here is a funny story. This hot woman I know was telling me that she met this guy and then dumped him when she found out he worked out at Gold's Gym. She figured he was bi-sexual and didn't want any part of that.
lara smith

San Leandro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

...and perhaps Golds should look at all the drug use and sales that go on at this gym instead. It is disgusting.
dove_rosey

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

I think back when slavery was being debated that not a lot of people thought that was horrible either. I wonder how many people on any given residential block stood up and screamed THIS IS WRONG. I wish I saw signs on every lawn saying, "I support the Freedom to Marry".

I know that slavery is worse than sex discrimination but it's still totally wrong in my book. If the CEO was making a private donation to the KKK I would want to boycott Golds until they removed him. I think that Golds board should ask this guy to step down.
Mike

Sausalito, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

I guess since Barack is against same sex marriage we should all just boycott every company that ever contributed to him too.

Hopefully the Gyms and their employees won't seffer any loss because of this nonsense.

To the gay "activists" - all i can say is most of us are getting a little sick of these gay little prissy fits being thrown all the time.

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Mike--"I guess since Barack is against same sex marriage we should all just boycott every company that ever contributed to him too."

You guys can't stop repeating this lie, can you? Obama OPPOSED Prop H8.

"Hopefully the Gyms and their employees won't seffer any loss because of this nonsense."

This isn't nonsense, and hopefully their contributions to the far right will stop and they'll become responsible corporate citizens.

"To the gay "activists" - all i can say is most of us are getting a little sick of these gay little prissy fits being thrown all the time."

Fuck off. Your type whined about "prissy fits" thrown by women wanting the vote, blacks wanting civil rights, now gays. At WHAT POINT will you get it through your thick skulls that this nation is SUPPOSED to stand for equality and justice, and until it does decent human beings WILL rise up and fight. Don't like it?

Find a nation that DOESN'T stand for equality and justice, and move there.
Truth

Mill Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Typocal censorship by liberals. It's ok to say whatever you want, AS LONG AS YOU AGREE WITH THEM. The connection to Gold's Gym is tortured. So is the connection to anti-gay rhetoric. Rove is all about fiscal sanity. The only connection is a tortured connection to some politicians they contributed to, as if that were the only issue. Sorry, it is not. Neither is gays in the military. We have much more important issues to address: like getting the millions out of work into a job. LGBT is as intolerant as they try to make others out to be. Gay/bi is a choice. Some might have a greater propensity, hard to say. After decades of attempts by gays to link genetics to their life style, it still comes up empty.
Garbage Man

South San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Gays can lift weights anywhere they'd like too. It doesn't bother me....why do they have to get so sassy about stuff like pol contributions...why does every issue have to be about gay rights....jeeez just go work out and be gay it's okay with me...it's the owners business how he spends his cash
Jim

Sausalito, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

I am a 20 years member of Gold's Gym and while Mr. Dickerson is free to do what he wants with the franchise, I can tell you that I will cancel my membership with his gym and go somewhere else, as I do not accept actions typical of the NAZI Germany to limit freedom. Mr. Rowling is free to support any legal groups or political parties.
I am an independent and can't understand why liberals have become so arrogant, so anti-democratic so anti-freedom. This is unacceptable.

Jim

Sausalito, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

By the way, I am not a body builder just a regular guy trying to stay in good shape, like most of the people at Golds.
Whiffle ball world

Corte Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

What I love is the fact that most of these posters are pissed that the gyms would withdraw from the Gold's corporation, but decide to protest by ending their membership...Which is basically what the gym is doing...You sound like the guy who was bitching about people posting online, online...You want to end your membership over this??? Go for it...its a free country for you and the people that own the gym...

“Stop the liberal madness”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Marin Conservative wrote:
More tolerance from the left.
The real fascist nazi's are the left. They try to silence anyone who dare think for themselves and do not subscribe to freedom of speech.

We must strip these nazi's of any political power till they cry .

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Truth wrote:
Typocal censorship by liberals. It's ok to say whatever you want, AS LONG AS YOU AGREE WITH THEM. The connection to Gold's Gym is tortured. So is the connection to anti-gay rhetoric. Rove is all about fiscal sanity. The only connection is a tortured connection to some politicians they contributed to, as if that were the only issue. Sorry, it is not. Neither is gays in the military. We have much more important issues to address: like getting the millions out of work into a job. LGBT is as intolerant as they try to make others out to be. Gay/bi is a choice. Some might have a greater propensity, hard to say. After decades of attempts by gays to link genetics to their life style, it still comes up empty.
The liberals are the thought pc nazi police .

The country has had enough and they must all be voted out of office.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Whiffle ball world wrote:
What I love is the fact that most of these posters are pissed that the gyms would withdraw from the Gold's corporation, but decide to protest by ending their membership...Which is basically what the gym is doing...You sound like the guy who was bitching about people posting online, online...You want to end your membership over this??? Go for it...its a free country for you and the people that own the gym...
Oh I have a hunch thegym will regret it when many leave the gym and go some place else.

Many are sick and tired of the liberal thought police and now rising up.
New Name for Gym

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Sounds like this owner should re-name his two gyms - "The Gay Pride Gym".

Thus he could publicly announce his beliefs and values to the world, and potential customers could be better informed and decide if they want to join or not.
Everyone knows

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

fruits and nuts wrote:
it is funny because california thinks that what is right out here is right throughout the rest of the country. The fact of the matter is, only california tolerates gays. You could throw in New York as well. But the rest of the country does not tolerate gays. The country seems to believe that gays equal anarchy in the streets and that would be no way to run gov't. Also, Obama has really hurt the gay movement by putting so many radical gays in positions of power. People feel he is doing it to cause anarchy. Even Gavin Newsom hurt the gays bigger than any other mayor in recent memory when he said "Whether you like it or not!". That statement turned off a lot of californians when gov't acts that we work for them and not the other way around. Gavin's statement was broadcast throughout the entire country and showed up all over the place in ad's during this latest election.
It's a well known fact that virtually homophobes and gay-bashers are secretly gay themselves, or at least uncomfortable with their own sexuality and personal inadequacies. They hate gays because they see it in themselves and they hate themselves for being gay.

Anyone who is filled with as much hate and FEAR as this person is clearly very very gay on the inside.
Yeah Man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

fruits and nuts wrote:
it is funny because california thinks that what is right out here is right throughout the rest of the country. The fact of the matter is, only california tolerates gays. You could throw in New York as well. But the rest of the country does not tolerate gays. The country seems to believe that gays equal anarchy in the streets and that would be no way to run gov't. Also, Obama has really hurt the gay movement by putting so many radical gays in positions of power. People feel he is doing it to cause anarchy. Even Gavin Newsom hurt the gays bigger than any other mayor in recent memory when he said "Whether you like it or not!". That statement turned off a lot of californians when gov't acts that we work for them and not the other way around. Gavin's statement was broadcast throughout the entire country and showed up all over the place in ad's during this latest election.
Thats why only the gays and dorks will still vote for him. Vote for Karen England for Lt Gov.(write in). Dont know her? google her.
Disgusting Subject

San Ramon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Why is it the gays can't just live like the rest of the hetros. Do you see hetros having disgusting sexual parades? Do you see hetros wondering what donations have been made by the gym that they belong to? Who fricking cares what you people do in your bedrooms. Grow up and get on with your gay lives. Who cares!
Disgusting Subject

San Ramon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Everyone knows wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a well known fact that virtually homophobes and gay-bashers are secretly gay themselves, or at least uncomfortable with their own sexuality and personal inadequacies. They hate gays because they see it in themselves and they hate themselves for being gay.
Anyone who is filled with as much hate and FEAR as this person is clearly very very gay on the inside.
Based on what is written above, i am conviced that perhaps you have a mental disorder as was previously thought.
Smart Phone

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

OkieDarren wrote:
Mike--"I guess since Barack is against same sex marriage we should all just boycott every company that ever contributed to him too."
You guys can't stop repeating this lie, can you? Obama OPPOSED Prop H8.
"Hopefully the Gyms and their employees won't seffer any loss because of this nonsense."
This isn't nonsense, and hopefully their contributions to the far right will stop and they'll become responsible corporate citizens.
"To the gay "activists" - all i can say is most of us are getting a little sick of these gay little prissy fits being thrown all the time."
**** off. Your type whined about "prissy fits" thrown by women wanting the vote, blacks wanting civil rights, now gays. At WHAT POINT will you get it through your thick skulls that this nation is SUPPOSED to stand for equality and justice, and until it does decent human beings WILL rise up and fight. Don't like it?
Find a nation that DOESN'T stand for equality and justice, and move there.
Whoa I am looking at this on my phone, and I can see he says the F-word, uncensored. Pretty neat.
gold member

Fairfax, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2010

Judged:

Don Dickerson?. that is the SORRIEST Bastard I have ever met in Golds Gym Marin. He is a lifeless individual with not an once of personality and is just as racist as anti-gays. I am honestly surprised that he hasnt been bitch slapped for the way he is changing Golds and if I was his supervisor I wouldnt hesitate to get rid of him or SLAP him two times!!!

GET RID OF HIM GOLD'S. EVEN THE GAYS DON'T LIKE HIM!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Weight Training Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Workout Plan for 14 Year Old (Jul '07) Wed Your a fcking retard 29
Primal Burn Review: Fat Burner System the Real ... (Jan '13) Tue Rando 3
JessicaBell published Aug 11, 2014 /Press Relea... Aug 12 Weilos 1
Bangalore's Pani Puri seller is a body builder ... (May '08) Aug 11 NAVEEN 47
we can help each other Aug 7 Anonymous 1
New Workout Kosama (Feb '10) Jul 26 Kosama Clive 65
Help with Formula Ventures BodyTech machine (Jan '09) Jul '14 Shannon 98

Search the Weight Training Forum:
•••