Family plans to open Gold's Gym

Apr 1, 2009 Read more: Evening Sun 35
A new gym to be built on Broadway in Penn Township will be a family affair. Brooks Rankin and members of his family - including his father, Dr. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hio

Elkridge, MD

#1 Apr 2, 2009
watch out the owner of club 2000 will fight you to the bone to make sure you dont open.
Amber

Harrisburg, PA

#2 Apr 2, 2009
I have to agree with you hio. Watch out for club 2000; they did file a lawsuit against the YMCA because they had opened where Gold's Gym used to be. Be aware; be very aware......
seriously

Annapolis, MD

#3 Apr 2, 2009
Great, a Gold's Gym in Hanover...then maybe the steriod pumpers will leave the Y so you can actually go and work out now. I like how they all stand around the machines with their tank tops on talking to every chick that walks in...spending more time looking in the mirror than they do working out. If it weren't for the roid's they would be just like everyone else. Goodbye needle boys!

Since: Aug 08

Gettysburg, PA

#4 Apr 2, 2009
seriously wrote:
Great, a Gold's Gym in Hanover...then maybe the steriod pumpers will leave the Y so you can actually go and work out now. I like how they all stand around the machines with their tank tops on talking to every chick that walks in...spending more time looking in the mirror than they do working out. If it weren't for the roid's they would be just like everyone else. Goodbye needle boys!
I've never seen that kind of behavior at the south Hanover YMCA. Are you referring to the north Hanover location? It is common for a large group of muscle bound men to monopolize the equipment, but I rarely see them hitting on women or posing in the mirror. If anything, hitting on girls would be a distraction and they could lose focus.
Hometown Girl

Newville, PA

#5 Apr 2, 2009
I would love to see something for us second shifters (get off at 1:00 AM).
That is when I would like to work out to burn the stress from working.
Bear

Oxon Hill, MD

#6 Apr 2, 2009
GREAT NEWS - Now we can all leave CLUB 2000 as that place is going to the tubes FAST!!!! I like the idea of the kid area. Make it a family atmosphere! Great News!!!
Hanover resdient

Harrisburg, PA

#7 Apr 2, 2009
Have fun with the competition in this area. Because a lot of people work out at the YMCA. They offers things for everyone to do.
cookie

Mifflintown, PA

#8 Apr 2, 2009
With all the fatties in Hanover we could stand to open several more gyms! Just an observation. Thank You
B Lippy

Gettysburg, PA

#9 Apr 2, 2009
Maybe this will get rid of the crowd at 2000, so Scott and I can do our business.
you are right

Elkridge, MD

#10 Apr 2, 2009
B Lippy wrote:
Maybe this will get rid of the crowd at 2000, so Scott and I can do our business.
this will surely empty club 2000 out, you will have no problem getting a machine now lippy.
TonyFromAbbottst own

West Grove, PA

#11 Apr 2, 2009
Great...Another abandoned building in Hanover.(When it fails). This has been tried many times before. What makes you think it will work now? Like Cookie said all the fatties would rather eat than go work out.
jimmy white

Elizabethtown, PA

#12 Apr 2, 2009
seriously wrote:
The 50yr old gold chain wearing hair dyed brown corvette driving dudes with 25yr old gold diggers trip me out
Jamal Warner

Spring Grove, PA

#13 Apr 2, 2009
On a serious note, this venture is doomed to fail. Do you know how expensive it is to operate a Gold's Gym? It is outrageous.

A typical Golds needs 2-3k members to run profitably. Where are those members going to come from? Even if you wipe out Club 2000 and their 400-500 members...you are still way short. The YMCA isnt going anywhere as it has the kids programs and, hence the parents go there too.

As Tony says...this is just another vacant building to deal with in 3-4 years.
Deisel

Plainsboro, NJ

#14 Apr 3, 2009
B Lippy wrote:
All I want to say is that more people on this earth should strive to look like Bob Lippy.
Deisel

Plainsboro, NJ

#15 Apr 3, 2009
Jamal Warner wrote:
On a serious note, this venture is doomed to fail. Do you know how expensive it is to operate a Gold's Gym? It is outrageous.
A typical Golds needs 2-3k members to run profitably. Where are those members going to come from? Even if you wipe out Club 2000 and their 400-500 members...you are still way short. The YMCA isnt going anywhere as it has the kids programs and, hence the parents go there too.
As Tony says...this is just another vacant building to deal with in 3-4 years.
I definitely understand that point.. health clubs are supposed to capture roughly 10% of a population within a 10 mile radius, which technically makes this a possible venture with the huge influx of people moving to the Spring Grove area... but, Hanover is an atypical marketplace because there are far more inactive people than there are active people. Golds has an awesome business model these days, it wouldn't suprise me at all to see the business succeed.
Deisel

Plainsboro, NJ

#16 Apr 3, 2009
Hometown Girl wrote:
I would love to see something for us second shifters (get off at 1:00 AM).
That is when I would like to work out to burn the stress from working.
Not sure where you live in Hanover, but there's a 24/7 gym in Manchester called Snap Fitness 24/7 - relatively inexpensive, open 24/7, great equipment.. brand new.
Deisel

Plainsboro, NJ

#17 Apr 3, 2009
Amber wrote:
I have to agree with you hio. Watch out for club 2000; they did file a lawsuit against the YMCA because they had opened where Gold's Gym used to be. Be aware; be very aware......
Club 2000 filed a lawsuit against the YMCA because the Y is a non-profit that was "operating as a health club" but not paying taxes like one. It's actually one of hundreds of cases like it. It's a big issue in the health club industry.. for profit vs. non profit.

Think about it.. a small single owned business is created and has to pay taxes, postage, and the initial build-out, costing the business owner hundreds of thousands of dollars. A non-profit business within the same industry in the same market comes, builds a multi million dollar facility, pays no taxes, does not pay for postage, and competes for free against all competitors while using tax payers money to renovate and improve their facility.

Is that fair? No, not really.. but that's life, and that small business owner needs to stay on top of his or her industry, constantly improve their facility and programming, and put the time and effort necessary into improving their business. Has Club 2000 done that? Not sure, never been there!:)
whatru

Carlisle, PA

#18 Apr 3, 2009
forget the Gym get kettle bells and a jump rope and you will be in betters shape then any gym will get you in!
Zelda

New York, NY

#19 Apr 3, 2009
This will be a great addition to the community.
Happyasalark

Chambersburg, PA

#21 Apr 3, 2009
Thank God! Finally a real gym in Hanover and someone who has the capability of putting Club 2000 in the ground where it belongs!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pilates Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Families pump up nutrition, exercise know-how Apr 6 FREE FRIED CHICKEN 4
News Pound it out Apr 5 ZUGZWANG 1
News After Back Injury, When Is Exercise a Bad Idea? Feb '15 claude7 2
News Can exercise improve back pain (Aug '13) Jan '15 onlineherbalpill 46
News Fitness Icon Denise Austin Introduces New 10-We... Dec '14 DeniseAustinFan 1
News Jennifer Aniston's Naked Yoga Practice Responsi... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Noushin 1
News Vanessa Hudgens' cap says it all as she shows o... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Big mike 1
More from around the web