Catholic church bans yoga class

Sep 26, 2012 Full story: Andover Advertiser 18

A row has erupted over a priest banning yoga from a church hall because the class was "not compatible" with the Catholic faith.

Full Story
Nicolay

Hollywood, FL

#1 Sep 26, 2012
Yoga is not a religion, it is the philology of religions. If your body is fit and your mind is pure you become a better catholic, Jew or whatever religion you follow.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#2 Sep 26, 2012
The Catholic Church has launched a hotline for victims of sex abuse.

Nice try, Church, but one already exists. It's called "The Police".
Economist

Buffalo, NY

#3 Sep 26, 2012
"The lotus position" is not Catholic--only the "on bended knee" is an acceptable position.

LOL
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#4 Sep 27, 2012
Nobody expects the English Inquisition. I think Monty Python said it best,
“NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no...*Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.”

And who can argue with that??!
Yimmie Krack Korn

Sweden

#5 Sep 27, 2012
Nicolay wrote:
Yoga is not a religion, it is the philology of religions. If your body is fit and your mind is pure you become a better catholic, Jew or whatever religion you follow.
No, no, no!

Jesus didn't do yoga so Catholics must not do yoga either! That's also why sex is "dirty". The Virgin Mary didn't have sex and neither should Catholics!
Yimmie Krack Korn

Sweden

#6 Sep 27, 2012
swerty wrote:
The Catholic Church has launched a hotline for victims of sex abuse.
Nice try, Church, but one already exists. It's called "The Police".
Nice try, Swerty, but the "Hotline to the Catholic Church" was establised so that sex abuse within the Church will never come to the attention of the police in the first place. You non-Catholics just don't seem to "get it".
Brit Expat

Agde, France

#7 Sep 27, 2012
Yimmie Krack Korn wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try, Swerty, but the "Hotline to the Catholic Church" was establised so that sex abuse within the Church will never come to the attention of the police in the first place. You non-Catholics just don't seem to "get it".
Lets face a few facts!!

Of all of the religions/sects(Thousands of them)that polute this tiny planet, The Roman catholic church is among the worst.

I hear its the latest religion of that warmongering/pontificating freeloader Tony Blair?

Anyhow! When thinking of the Roman Catholic church, always remember the Borgias!

All religions attract thier "followers" by wearing theatrical garb.

What price intelligence??

The Atheist....
Yimmie Krack Korn

Sweden

#8 Sep 27, 2012
Brit Expat wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets face a few facts!!
Of all of the religions/sects(Thousands of them)that polute this tiny planet, The Roman catholic church is among the worst.
I hear its the latest religion of that warmongering/pontificating freeloader Tony Blair?
Anyhow! When thinking of the Roman Catholic church, always remember the Borgias!
All religions attract thier "followers" by wearing theatrical garb.
What price intelligence??
The Atheist....
I'm an X-catholic myself.

I couldn't understand how the church could claim "one God" yet babble on about "the Trinity" nor how eating meat on a Friday could be a "mortal sin" all through my childhood then suddenly be degraded. Here was me thinking only God could make rule-changes about who goes to heaven and who may not. I must have been wrong, eh?
Big Al

Grand Rapids, MN

#9 Sep 28, 2012
Did you ever notice how tolerant of others’ beliefs many of the practitioners of Eastern religions are and how intolerant most Christians generally are?

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#11 Sep 28, 2012
Good for this priest. Yoga is part of the Eastern religion of Hinduism and has no part with our faith.

Transcendental Meditation has always been part and parcel of yoga.

Want to argue with me that it's a harmless exercise? Not so!

"Without the practice of yoga, How could knowledge Set the atman (soul) free? asks the Yogatatva Upanishad. Yoga: union with the ultimate. Carl G. Jung the eminent Swiss psychologist, described yoga as 'one of the greatest things the human mind has ever created.' Yoga sutra consists of two words only: yogash chitta-critti-nirodah, which may be translated:“Yoga is the cessation of agitation of the consciousness.”

http://www.hinduwisdom.info/Yoga_and_Hindu_Ph...

Keep it out of the Church and in the shopping centers.
Big Al

Grand Rapids, MN

#12 Sep 28, 2012
the real DUD FIVERS wrote:
<quoted text>no, I haven't. Islam is extremely intolerant. Only Hinduism seems to be fairly tolerant. islam makes the Inquisition look like a garden party.
Does the Pope still behead people , or burn them , for heresy? NO. but Islam does.
Islam is just an offshoot of the Judeo-Christian tradition and also generally very intolerant.

Buddhism is another Eastern religious tradition that also very tolerant.

“All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness ...”- Dalai Lama quote
Big Al

Grand Rapids, MN

#15 Sep 29, 2012
the real DUD FIVERS wrote:
<quoted text>what about that message about beheading infidels? That seems to be the message of islam.
Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all Abrahamic religions that trace their origin to the same source and all are generally intolerant. Islam is not generally considered an "Eastern" religion. Abraham was said to have been born in modern-day Iraq and Muhammad was said to have been born in modern-day Saudi Arabia not too far away.

“In today's world, the religions of wisdom (the Eastern religions) appear to be far more tolerant than their Western counterparts, the religions of revelation. The Jews, Christians, and Muslims, who look to the Bible and the Qur’an for guidance…”- Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer, M.Div, Union Theological Seminary in New York, professor of justice and peace studies at the University of St. Thomas, in St. Paul, Minnesota

Since: Jun 12

Las Vegas, NV

#17 Oct 16, 2012
I can't believe they would make such a big deal about this. When there's more important problems to address in the world. Plus my grandma is a lifelong Catholic and she used to do lots of Yoga because of her I got into practicing Yoga myself.
Brit Epat

Lunel, France

#18 Oct 16, 2012
Alisa 702 wrote:
I can't believe they would make such a big deal about this. When there's more important problems to address in the world. Plus my grandma is a lifelong Catholic and she used to do lots of Yoga because of her I got into practicing Yoga myself.
Ooooo. You are demented, follow the church, especially the Borgias. They will teach you what religion really means. But!! If you have just a modicum of intellegence, you will realise what nonsense it all is!

Have a nice day.

The Atheist aged 81.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#19 Oct 17, 2012
Its ridiculous for the Catholic Church to ban Yoga.
Indian

Bussum, Netherlands

#20 Oct 17, 2012
Big Al wrote:
<quoted text>
Islam is just an offshoot of the Judeo-Christian tradition and also generally very intolerant.
Buddhism is another Eastern religious tradition that also very tolerant.
“All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness ...”- Dalai Lama quote
It is undisputable that Yoga is a great practice if done properly. The physical yoga that deals just with breathing exercises and physical poses but no meditation is essentially NON-YOGA. TRUE YOGA also involves meditation and not only benefits physical & mental well being but also liberates the mind and the spirit to a very high level. However there are several brands of Yoga seen in the west nowadays so which is the correct one? Only those yoga practitioners who do not charge any money for it are possibly teaching true yoga. This is a fact. Because true yoga is a birthright and no one can or should charge any penny for it. Just like a mother does not charge for her love, nor does a wife charge for her love. So does a teacher of yoga does not charge for what comes from God and is free for everyone.
It is very unfortunate that many fake Indian Gurus have made it to the west and are acting like Masters of yoga. One such Guru was the Mahesh Yogi. His transcendental meditation (TM) is known to produce brain waves similar to patients of epilepsy. Google it to find which "yoga" is "free of charge" and is a "spontaneous" happening and is like a "mother's love".

Las Vegas, NV

#21 Oct 17, 2012
Brit Epat wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooooo. You are demented, follow the church, especially the Borgias. They will teach you what religion really means. But!! If you have just a modicum of intellegence, you will realise what nonsense it all is!
Have a nice day.
The Atheist aged 81.
And because you are 81. I will keep silent for I respect my elders.

Las Vegas, NV

#22 Oct 17, 2012
Clayton Rockwell wrote:
Its ridiculous for the Catholic Church to ban Yoga.
Agreed!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wish List: 19 Awesome Gifts Under $50, From Bac... Nov 25 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Who is the best bodybuilder past and present? (Feb '14) Nov 23 Kenny 5
Weight loss successful stories Nov 23 Researcher 2
'Shark Tank' Investor Daymond John Says Losing ... Nov 18 Jason Oman 2
Bodybuilding Tips For Vegans & Vegetarians (Sep '09) Nov 9 sushil864 2
5 Religions You've Probably Never Heard Of (Sep '09) Nov 8 Kid_Tomorrow 128
6 Pack Abs | How To Get A 6 Pack Abs Nov 3 daskundo 1

Fitness People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE