Spanish public TV channel draws fire in Md.

May 27, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News Journal

“The reality is that this channel will enhance the intellect not just of Hispanics, but of all other open-minded individuals.”

Maryland Public Television's plan to launch a Spanish language channel is drawing complaints from critics who charge that the publicly funded organization should not be catering to an individual ethnic group. via News Journal

Comments
1 - 20 of 133 Comments Last updated Sep 3, 2012
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Since: Mar 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

Judged:

I doubt there's a single statistic anywhere that shows more intellect in a locality with Spanish television.

I would suspect the opposite is more true.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

Or should I say "Tengo muchas dudas...."

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

Judged:

Unreal! What is it with catering to Spanish speaking people? This is an English speaking country! Let's get it together and stop this nonsense.
sinajuavi

Shadyside, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

Judged:

Very racist. Spanish correlates with low intellect? LOL. There is a lot more fine literature produced in Latin America in CASTILIAN than in the USA in ENGLISH. Why is that? Well, they have more culture, for one thing.

More languages are good. There are a lot of ethnic groups who speak Castilian. You cannot say that this caters to one ethnic group. There are many ethnic groups speaking Castilian in the USA: Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Colombians, Guatemalans, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Nicaraguans, Hondurans, Peruvians, not to mention many Native Americans in the USA such as Ohlone and Gabrielinos, and a number of white and black Americans who speak it and appreciate having some Spanish tube to watch.

Fear of a language is SO tacky. The USA is notoriously monolingual, a global laughingstock, really. You should all be striving to solve that problem, rather than exacerbate it.

Obviously racism clouds your thinking.

This is America! SPEAK SPANISH!
mike

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

Judged:

sinajuavi wrote:
Very racist. Spanish correlates with low intellect? LOL. There is a lot more fine literature produced in Latin America in CASTILIAN than in the USA in ENGLISH. Why is that? Well, they have more culture, for one thing.
More languages are good. There are a lot of ethnic groups who speak Castilian. You cannot say that this caters to one ethnic group. There are many ethnic groups speaking Castilian in the USA: Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Colombians, Guatemalans, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Nicaraguans, Hondurans, Peruvians, not to mention many Native Americans in the USA such as Ohlone and Gabrielinos, and a number of white and black Americans who speak it and appreciate having some Spanish tube to watch.
Fear of a language is SO tacky. The USA is notoriously monolingual, a global laughingstock, really. You should all be striving to solve that problem, rather than exacerbate it.
This is not about ever body the only people that can not learn english or just does not want to learn is the Hispanics,nobody else has a problem either they are just dumb or they just do not want to be an American,SPEAK ENGLISH OR LEAVE
Mayday

Bay City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

Judged:

sinajuavi-Mexico is the real global laughingstock since they do not educate their people. Spanish correlates with low intellect especially since many hispanics do not value or have very little education. Here they take advantage of our free schooling and drop out as soon as they can. If you are in Latin America speak spanish. If you are in the USA speak English!
The definition of the word racist in spanish is: A spanish word for a person who wants the law to be enforced.
L ALL OVER

Rohnert Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

I think it could be cool, but it would be nice to have either subtitles or the SAP thing where you can hear it in English.
sinajuavi

Shadyside, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

Mexico is controlled by foreign capital, so the blame goes to the big money and power, including the USA.

Spanish was spoken FIRST in the USA. Mexicans lived FIRST in many states, long before any gringos arrived.

Spanish was spoken before French or English in the USA even in Illinois and Indiana, not to mention along the Mississippi River, in LA, MS, AL, GA, FL, NM, AZ, TX, OK, KS, CO, UT, NV and CA.

The children of illegal immigrants grow up in the USA and speak English. What you are doing is insisting that new immigrants immediately speak English. Why should they not conduct business in Spanish. They are adults. YOU try learning a new language when you are adult. It is not that easy.

The immigrants I know generally speak SOME English, to varying levels, depending on their progress. Their children speak it well, and are always translating for them in stores, banks, etc.

Sounds like these immigrants are mostly bilingual. Is that a problem for you? Knowing other languages is a GOOD thing, that's why they teach them in highschool and college, get it?

¡qué estúpido!
step

Catonsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

Judged:

sinajuavi, i agree they need to learn english now. we are setting r selves up for a big let down.theyre coming over just to have babies and draining r systems.now theyre getting thier own spanish speaking channel. its almost unbelievable their lack of wanting to learn. i had a funny run in with a spanish speaking woman, she was speaking in her native tougue with another woman.I laughed and she asked do i speak spanish i told her no and she sounded shocked that i didnt. we need to make english the official language period.
Rush Limbaugh

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

sinajuavi wrote:
Mexico is controlled by foreign capital, so the blame goes to the big money and power, including the USA.
Spanish was spoken FIRST in the USA. Mexicans lived FIRST in many states, long before any gringos arrived.
Spanish was spoken before French or English in the USA even in Illinois and Indiana, not to mention along the Mississippi River, in LA, MS, AL, GA, FL, NM, AZ, TX, OK, KS, CO, UT, NV and CA.
The children of illegal immigrants grow up in the USA and speak English. What you are doing is insisting that new immigrants immediately speak English. Why should they not conduct business in Spanish. They are adults. YOU try learning a new language when you are adult. It is not that easy.
The immigrants I know generally speak SOME English, to varying levels, depending on their progress. Their children speak it well, and are always translating for them in stores, banks, etc.
Sounds like these immigrants are mostly bilingual. Is that a problem for you? Knowing other languages is a GOOD thing, that's why they teach them in highschool and college, get it?
¡qué estúpido!
Spanish was spoken first here? Really? I thought the Native Americans had their OWN languages? Hmmmm, I guess I learn something new EVERYDAY. Does the term "Louisiana purchase" strike a bell for you? Louisiana is primarily a FRENCH colonized state and STILL is. It belonged to FRANCE before. It does not belong to Mexico, the soutwest and west does. Where are you getting all of this wonderful information from? Now if we're going to be technical, of course LA and this entire nation rightfully belong to the Natives, but then again....they damn near GAVE IT UP to the Quakers/pilgrims so that was part of their fault too.

Ashley
Mayday

Bay City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

Judged:

sinajuavi wrote:
Their children speak it well, and are always translating for them in stores, banks, etc.
¡qué estúpido!
The illegals are always using their children. They are too lazy to learn English themselves. A good parent would not use their child like the illegals do. Yes knowing other languages is a GOOD thing but in the US we have the freedom to learn other languages besides spanish. The spanish speakers are the only ones too lazy to learn English. I very seldom see other legal immigrants and illegal aliens from other countries that can't speak English. It's always spanish speakers that are monolingual.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

sinajuavi wrote:
Here we have it -- Paysan reincarnated. Same state and everything.

Hey Paysucks, how goes it? Sure (didn't) miss your racist posts lately. How about going back to the psychiatric hospital - you're not well yet.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

Mayday wrote:
sinajuavi-Mexico is the real global laughingstock since they do not educate their people. Spanish correlates with low intellect especially since many hispanics do not value or have very little education. Here they take advantage of our free schooling and drop out as soon as they can. If you are in Latin America speak spanish. If you are in the USA speak English!
The definition of the word racist in spanish is: A spanish word for a person who wants the law to be enforced.
ROTFLMAOPIMP - that last sentence (your definition)! It's great!
mandrake

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2007

Rebel wrote:
Unreal! What is it with catering to Spanish speaking people? This is an English speaking country! Let's get it together and stop this nonsense.
Do you really want to know? Well my friend, MONEY and POLITICS are the name of the game. Hispanics are a real force in this country. They are a great buying and voting force. And that is what seems to count in our country.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2007

Judged:

mandrake wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really want to know? Well my friend, MONEY and POLITICS are the name of the game. Hispanics are a real force in this country. They are a great buying and voting force. And that is what seems to count in our country.
That's why it's falling apart. We have to stop this nonsense. ONE language - English - will be a good start.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2007

Judged:

sinajuavi wrote:
¡qué estúpido!
Hint --- English speaking countries are performing better than Spanish speaking countries. You don't see millions of people leaving the English speaking countries to go live in Spanish speaking ones.

English speaking immigrants get the good jobs in this country, Spanish speaking immigrants scrub toilets.

Fail to learn English -- and you will be at the bottom -- not only of the USA but of the world.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2007

Rebel wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we have it -- Paysan reincarnated. Same state and everything.
Hey Paysucks, how goes it? Sure (didn't) miss your racist posts lately. How about going back to the psychiatric hospital - you're not well yet.
And all this time I thought Paysan was Pacifican.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2007

Judged:

Mayday wrote:
<quoted text>
The illegals are always using their children. They are too lazy to learn English themselves. A good parent would not use their child like the illegals do. Yes knowing other languages is a GOOD thing but in the US we have the freedom to learn other languages besides spanish. The spanish speakers are the only ones too lazy to learn English. I very seldom see other legal immigrants and illegal aliens from other countries that can't speak English. It's always spanish speakers that are monolingual.
The inability to learn even a sentence in English even after 20 years of living in this country is a sign of low intellect.

The typical American tourist will learn more Spanish for a 2-week vacation in Cancun than many Mexican immigrants will learn in a lifetime of living here -- but they do learn quickly where the food stamps are. But even welfare offices have to hire Spanish speakers.

It's plain intellectually lazy to live in a country and have no curiosity about it's language -- but we're sure seeing a lot of that.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2007

malamute wrote:
<quoted text>
And all this time I thought Paysan was Pacifican.
At first I did, too, but the ISP location was not Virginia. This guy's is. Not that we can't have more than one freak from Virginia, but ... it's pretty coincidental.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2007

Judged:

malamute wrote:
<quoted text>
The inability to learn even a sentence in English even after 20 years of living in this country is a sign of low intellect.
The typical American tourist will learn more Spanish for a 2-week vacation in Cancun than many Mexican immigrants will learn in a lifetime of living here -- but they do learn quickly where the food stamps are. But even welfare offices have to hire Spanish speakers.
It's plain intellectually lazy to live in a country and have no curiosity about it's language -- but we're sure seeing a lot of that.
Very much agreed. It's not just lazy, but disrespectful, rude, and a whole host of other "not nice" adjectives.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••