Women taking over gyms? Willing to l...

Women taking over gyms? Willing to lift 'real' weights now?

Posted in the Fitness Forum

Since: Apr 12

Sydney

#1 Apr 20, 2012
So I'm not really a gym goer at all, but when I walk past gyms there always seems to be more women inside and coming/going. Is this happening in your gym? Are men getting lazier? Are women more concerned about their bodies? Or just more motivated?

Previously, I would have argued that women are just paranoid about getting fat, but it also seems to me that more women are lifting proper weights now, not just spending an hour on the treadmill or lifting the little pink dumbbells. True in your local gym too?

Just to comment: I've got absolutely zero problem with this actually. In fact, I find physically strong women very attractive, probably because I'm not a strong man. They have that confidence in their bodies that I don't. But I do find it interesting culturally, that women aren't scared of sweating and pushing themselves or getting too strong, as seemed to be the case 20-30+ years ago.

Tell us what you see in your gym...
Anonymous

Bristol, UK

#2 May 2, 2012
I guess there is nothing wrong with women lifting weights and I guess it is a natural follow on from the Jodie Marsh scene. Most women I guess wouldnt want to be professional weight lifters but there is lot to be gained from a weights program as opposed to the traditional class/cardio based fitness programs that I know many women have followed in the past.

2012 Fitness & Training Goals:
Windsor Triathlon
South Downs Marathon
Blog - http://www.rankmytri.com/2012/05/asics-gel-ci...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What's up Today (Jul '08) Apr 19 dlsanford 10
News 'Poseidon Adventure' meets 'Breakfast Club' in ... Apr 14 gfhjhgfj 1
Tips to improve stamina, energy, and recovery? Mar '17 EvahLinear 2
News Assignment: Ukiah - Ukiah then and now (Sep '09) Mar '17 meat loafing 23
News Yoga studio stretches into Historic Dublin shop (Nov '10) Feb '17 coffee tea or me 4
News How to lose weight before wedding day (Nov '13) Feb '17 fitfreak10k 6
News Personal Trainers Reveal the Best Products to R... (Sep '16) Feb '17 fitfreak10k 4
More from around the web