Yoga the new craze at Santa Cruz High; class filled beyond capa...

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

The 6-foot-2 football player raises his arms, breathes in and lunges forward on his left leg.
Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated May 13, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lol

Tracy, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

what ever happened to good old fashioned dodge ball and flag football. Schools have gone so soft, boys in a gym class with girls. Ridiculous. These boys need to learn how to become men. They have a tough country to inherit for christs sake and they are teaching them yoga. Do you want these kids to sit around and be stoners like every other local that never gets out to explore the world beyond santa cruz?

Since: Sep 08

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Stretching? Sure beats running around getting all sweaty and having to shower afterwards; and it doesn't mess up your hair!
parent

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Oh good heavens, people! They all have to take the regular PE classes too; complete with running, swimming, calisthenics, even dodgeball!

A yoga class is complementary and, as a bonus, it increases body awareness so those of you playing fat and nutrition cop based on a couple of pictures in a newspaper can just relax and get over yourselves.
Walk first

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Look wrote:
From the looks of it, they could also use a running and nutrition class...
But it is good that they're learning about how to control their bodies, how to stretch and the rewards of being uncomfortable for a few moments.
First thing any good trainer will tell you is healthy diet first and light exercise - like walking. Running while overweight can put horrible strains on knees and ankles.
thinking the same thing

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

parent wrote:
Oh good heavens, people! They all have to take the regular PE classes too; complete with running, swimming, calisthenics, even dodgeball!
A yoga class is complementary and, as a bonus, it increases body awareness so those of you playing fat and nutrition cop based on a couple of pictures in a newspaper can just relax and get over yourselves.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure all of these people posted are the picture of perfect health.
Parent

Aptos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Thanks SCHS for offering yoga.I hope the other schools will follow.
Serf City

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

All the people who are complaining about yoga should do an hour and half of Bikram.

An hour and half of Bikram versus an hour and half of cardio machines is superior on every level, imo, and I have done both for exercise.

Most people I know who do yoga are in tip top shape and it makes people look younger than their age.

My experience is purely anecdotal and not scientific.

Regardless, it is better for a fatty to do yoga than doing nothing active at all.
Lorraine

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Unbelievable! Has anyone researched the history of yoga? http://www.allaboutspirituality.org/history-o...
The Scream

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Serf City wrote:
All the people who are complaining about yoga should do an hour and half of Bikram.
Bikram will HURT YA. Not a criticism, it's just physically difficult. The kind of yoga that appeals to overachievers and the goal-oriented. And that's not meant as a criticism, either.

The kiddies sound like they're doing traditional hatha, and while that won't exactly make you into a hunk, it is good for you. It'll keep your head straight, which teenagers need. And if you end up sitting in a cube eight hours a day, it'll keep your back straight, too, and your body flexible enough that you can begin practicing some other physical activity without immediately pulling something. It's a good life habit.
learn something

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Lorraine wrote:
Unbelievable! Has anyone researched the history of yoga? http://www.allaboutspirituality.org/history-o...
Wow.... cuckoo, cuckoo...
Publican

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

All of you who are criticizing kids for getting interested in exercise are jealous punks.

Those of you who are insulting the physical appearance of those kids are a-holes and worn out dogs. You should be forced to exercise down on Pacific Ave. where everyone can comment on your particular shape.

In this era where people are constantly criticized for not exercising enough, we should be glad that a new generation is getting into paying attention to their physical training. Even if that training is not geared at some BS idea of extreme sport.
Serf City

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

I think the problem with Bikram initially is just getting used to the heat.

Other than that, it is fairly low impact.

I got into it because a friend of mine was an instructor and he pushed me into it.

It really kicks your arse in the beginning, but if you stick with it consistently and get over the beginning humps, you get over the feeling of wanting to die. LOL

I don't do it now because of inconvenience, but I miss it.

I am no New Age yoga hippy, but the health benefits on a personal level--digestion, breathing, posture, muscle tone, skin, flexibility-- were self-evident.
The Scream wrote:
<quoted text>
Bikram will HURT YA. Not a criticism, it's just physically difficult. The kind of yoga that appeals to overachievers and the goal-oriented. And that's not meant as a criticism, either.
The kiddies sound like they're doing traditional hatha, and while that won't exactly make you into a hunk, it is good for you. It'll keep your head straight, which teenagers need. And if you end up sitting in a cube eight hours a day, it'll keep your back straight, too, and your body flexible enough that you can begin practicing some other physical activity without immediately pulling something. It's a good life habit.
duh

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Cameron wrote:
<quoted text>
Those activities are way too violent.Yoga allows the students to become in touch with their inner self in a peaceful manner.
OMG. <<facedesk>>
anyway

Emeryville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Todd Gak wrote:
We were doing this at harbor at least 6 years ago!! SC high gets all unwarrented press.
what is the big deal?
Al Pastor

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

yoga farts
mad men

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Todd Gak wrote:
We were doing this at harbor at least 6 years ago!! SC high gets all unwarrented press.
Ok but at least SC High School produces students who can spell.
_SC Pops_

Felton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Soquel High has offered yoga for years, too. It's a great option for some. All freshmen have to take Freshmen PE which includes swimming, running, basketball, tennis, and a gamut of other activities.

Society as a whole is dealing with the ramifications of a fast food world and sedentary lifestyle of television and video games. In other words, obesity. And we have the ocean and forest in our backyards! No excuse. Get outdoors, people!
jimi doss

Felton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

lol wrote:
what ever happened to good old fashioned dodge ball and flag football. Schools have gone so soft, boys in a gym class with girls. Ridiculous. These boys need to learn how to become men. They have a tough country to inherit for christs sake and they are teaching them yoga. Do you want these kids to sit around and be stoners like every other local that never gets out to explore the world beyond santa cruz?
Oh my stars !!!! Can ya actually post a more uninformed and masoginist comment ???? Also could you insult the offspring of this amazing city anymore than by referring to all the other "locals" as stoners ?????
Its not the "locals" that are an embarsment to Santa Cruz its you !!!!!!! Can I for one please suggest the idea that you move out of Santa Cruz if your so offended by the locals and the town itself ???? Please ???
You obviously have no idea of how positive yoga is . I also have to say along with yoga ALL these "locals" are taking regular Phys Ed classes . My son is enroilled here in Santa Cruz in the 8th grade and they practice Yoga almost daily !!!! I as a parent am thrilled about it !!!!!!
parent of SC High

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2009

I am seriously outraged and blown away by the type of responses that this article has drawn. The lack of appreciation that some have for the art of yoga is shameful. Not everyone has to have an interest in yoga or even like it, but to ridicule the boys pictured and consider them in your minds as less than a man is purely a shovanistic attitude. It takes serious guts for a young man to step forward and participate in something that would other wise be classified as a feminine activity. This class is offered during first period at 8 am everyday. It is a wonderful way for these students to begin their morning. It gives them the time and space to prepair themselves mentally,physically and emotionally for the days rigorous course work. I personally don't know a single person who enjoys waking up and by 8 am throwing your mind into world wind of equations in trig class or attempting to remember the elements on the periodic table. I know I sure as heck didn't. I have personally watched the benefits this yoga class has had on my son and it has been an incredibly positive experience. In only a few short weeks I have witnessed an amazing strength develop from within my son. He has now found a way to center himself and react to amazingly ignorant people and situations in a mature and responsible way. And yes I accredit yoga and his teacher Kelly Andrews for helping bring this out in him. Seriously don't knock it until you have the guts yourself to try it. And since some of you will probably ask, no I am not a yogi myself nor am I a typical Santa Cruzian hippie. I am however a person who has grown up here, moved away and come back so I could raise my children in a place where people from every diverse background are welcome.
Lux

Clovis, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2009

duh wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG. <<facedesk>>
That's Santa Cruz for ya!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••