Local Man Loses 242 Pounds, Wins $100,000

Jul 17, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WTVF Nashville

A Sumner County man says he was once so big, he had to get on an industrial scale at the local scrap yard just to see how much he weighed.

Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Mar 20, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sad

Columbia, SC

#1 Jul 19, 2012
How a $100,000 win makes news. If it isn't money or murder it isn't reported anymnore.
Anonymous

Nashville, TN

#2 Jul 20, 2012
sad wrote:
How a $100,000 win makes news. If it isn't money or murder it isn't reported anymnore.
At least this story is inspiring rather than depressing. That is, unless you get depressed about not winning the $100,000 for yourself.
fyi

Nashville, TN

#3 Jul 20, 2012
sad wrote:
if you actually watched the news you would know that hes been on there a couple times for his amazing transformation and not the money. Sooo in all reality all you see in the news is money or murder. Just saying.:)
a lost friend

Morganton, NC

#4 Jul 20, 2012
I love the fake crying he pulled on tv.
fyi

Nashville, TN

#5 Jul 20, 2012
yep cause when you lose almost 300 hundred pounds just by actually working out, have a son, and fixing to be in debt because his wife was on maternity leave, then won this money right when you need it most in life, no i wouldnt cry either... men do have emotions ya know and hes just not afraid to let it out :)
the truth

Chester, SC

#6 Jul 22, 2012
He already knew the CEO of the company that gave him the money well before they gave him the check. It's not like he didn't know it was coming.
Next thing you know his name will be on the Welcome to Portland signs. Right under a basketball player and a tribute singer. Yeah, those are people to brag about.(rollseyes)
fyi

Nashville, TN

#7 Jul 22, 2012
ohh the jealously im sure if he was for somewhere else you all would be happy and inspired after hearing his story but since he is from your town you just wanna talk down about him, no actually he didn't know he was gonna win and you all are acting like he was the only one that won the money a female also won the money. So what if he gets a sign hopefully that will help a lot of the people in Portland get inspired by his wonderful transformation and get them motivated to get in shaped, stay fit and live a healthy life.:)
Bob

White House, TN

#8 Jul 23, 2012
I love the tribute part lol. The Elvis Inpersonator.
ouch

Brentwood, TN

#9 Jul 23, 2012
Some haters on this site! Richard is about as humble as they come! Dude lost a great deal of weight and he didn't do it for the money, He didn't have a ranch to go to, He didn't have surgery! YES GIVE THIS MAN A SIGN! Give this hard working boy and thing he wants. He is a true person to look to. He wants to pay it forward. IDK why the hate on for this guy I guess your not getting a hand out then your just a hater
fyi

Nashville, TN

#10 Jul 23, 2012
ouch wrote:
Some haters on this site! Richard is about as humble as they come! Dude lost a great deal of weight and he didn't do it for the money, He didn't have a ranch to go to, He didn't have surgery! YES GIVE THIS MAN A SIGN! Give this hard working boy and thing he wants. He is a true person to look to. He wants to pay it forward. IDK why the hate on for this guy I guess your not getting a hand out then your just a hater
THANK YOU!!!!! glad to finally see someone else on his side :)
I agree

Franklin, NC

#11 Jul 23, 2012
"The truth" has an awesome point. Portland has signs saying hometown of ________. Portland was hometown to several dozen men who fought and died for their Country. If it was up to me the sign would say "Welcome to Portland TN Home of ___ men who fought and died for our freedom".
That sign would carry more weight and meaning.
fyi

Nashville, TN

#12 Jul 23, 2012
I agree wrote:
"The truth" has an awesome point. Portland has signs saying hometown of ________. Portland was hometown to several dozen men who fought and died for their Country. If it was up to me the sign would say "Welcome to Portland TN Home of ___ men who fought and died for our freedom".
That sign would carry more weight and meaning.
News flash, go to the high school lobby they have a whole wall up for those several dozen men AND WOMEN that have fought or are fighting for our country from Portland. including the Fallen. I would like to know who even got in their mind that he is gonna get a sign... It is no where in talks of him getting one so yall are worried about nothing
Can people no just be happy for him? This world is filled with so much jealousy and envy!!
Oh and there is a huge memorial in front of one of the main factories for all to see, just saying :)
the truth

Canton, NC

#13 Jul 25, 2012
The sign comment was sarcasm. Look it up in the dictionary. I referred to the basketball player and trbute singer being on the signs, so why not someone who lost some weight. They are all about as relevant (or irrelevant) as the other.
You say go to the high school to see those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom? That's where they should be honored? A ball player and a singer over them? Just more great decision making by the council. Much like the lake that couldn't hold water, and the $30,000 clock that seldoms works, and......
Ouch

Brentwood, TN

#14 Jul 26, 2012
Has nothing to do with the council. Dont like it MOVE! complain about everything portland does or is.... Really come on. Be happy for this man! he is a humble example of hardwork! Jealous of what he has done maybe... Get off your pride and be happy someone changed and is now an example!
Rotten People

Nashville, TN

#15 Jul 27, 2012
Ouch wrote:
Has nothing to do with the council. Dont like it MOVE! complain about everything portland does or is.... Really come on. Be happy for this man! he is a humble example of hardwork! Jealous of what he has done maybe... Get off your pride and be happy someone changed and is now an example!
Just plain old jealousy, as old as Cain and Able.
fyi

Nashville, TN

#16 Jul 29, 2012
so happy to see others comment on this that aren't downing him :) he truly his one of the sweetest men alive :)
the truth

Crouse, NC

#17 Jul 31, 2012
Jealous? Far from it. What did he accomplish by losing weight he gained by being stupid? No one just "gets" to 400lbs. The guy got healthy. Big deal.
The $100,000 wouldn't do anything for my bank account so I am not jealous of that either.
You guys go ahead and praise the guy. Everyone needs something to be happy about. If a guy dieting and excersizing does it for you than have at it.
Rotten People

Nashville, TN

#18 Aug 1, 2012
the truth wrote:
Jealous? Far from it. What did he accomplish by losing weight he gained by being stupid? No one just "gets" to 400lbs. The guy got healthy. Big deal.
The $100,000 wouldn't do anything for my bank account so I am not jealous of that either.
You guys go ahead and praise the guy. Everyone needs something to be happy about. If a guy dieting and excersizing does it for you than have at it.
Yes, actually, it IS a big deal. Sure, stupid decisions can be a part of why he weighed as much as he did, but he changed. Why is that not worthy of praise? If you have a family member who has spent a span of time making bad choices that affected their health and life in general and they wake up and start living a better life, do you not praise and encourage them? Alcohol? Drugs? Food? Doesn't matter the vice...when you can fight and turn away and better yourself in the end I'm going to praise you up, down, and sideways. I hope you learn the value of positive reinforcement before someone in your circle of family and friends needs it.
Ouch

Brentwood, TN

#19 Aug 1, 2012
the truth is nothing more than a coward! Hiding behind a screen saying mean things to make his ego better! Funny oh 100000 does nothing for his bank account... Funny how this person has said nothing positive at all. hey truth get over your self. If your not happy for the man then don't even worry about posting here. because its not needed. He has inspired others to do the same thing! Ending Obesity! What POSITIVE thing have you done worthy of attention? I am pretty sure you are ex military and if so I think you for your service but why be so negative? I pray God opens your heart and not be so cold!
Tom

Rockville, MD

#20 Aug 7, 2012
P90x has given me great results. Its definitley not for the faint of heart but you get out what you put into it. I recommend looking at a schedule of the workouts to see whats in store:
http://http://myp90xworkoutsch edule.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kids Health: Injuries in Youth Sports on the Rise Wed blackbenchfit 1
steroids24.net Review Wed waltyb 4
Community Calendar, Aug. 21 to Aug. 30 Aug 23 CNN Wolf is so fu... 2
How a child's drawings at four 'are a clue to c... Aug 19 humanSpirit 1
How to lose weight before wedding day (Nov '13) Aug 13 Lina 3
Who is the best bodybuilder past and present? (Feb '14) Aug 12 Kenny 3
Yoga Workout Routine | "Shapeshifter Yoga" Teac... (Sep '13) Aug 11 Good 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••