Trapped in the wrong body
Life for children who feel they are trapped in the wrong body can be a nightmare of shame and isolation.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sydney Morning Herald.
#1 Sep 9, 2012
It becomes a real nightmare when society,its institutions,religions, and laws are so backward and resistant to change that they fail to take into account advancements in medical science.This in not a product of a mental illness but a real medical condition. Psychiatric intervention may become necessary because of society's ignorance,biases,bigotry and even violence toward the patient that plunges the patient into severe clinical depression,and even suicide.
#2 Sep 10, 2012
What medical science are you going on?
#3 Sep 10, 2012
AMA views this as medical condition.There have been studies dealing with variations in genetics,(University of Minnesota finding on this late last year) chromosome mosaic differentiations,human embryology,neuroanatomocal variations in the hypothalamus, endocrinology,physiological and anatomical development in different biological species having a bearing on gender and sex .These are all factors occurring in nature but granted without" A (ONE) Smoking Gun" but still are present and very real.This has occurred throughout history in many cultures.In essence ,the universe loves diversity and is not in a static state despite we humans having a penchant to categorize and classify things to simplify them based on our present limited knowledge.We have to recognize and accept that our present information and findings are subject to change as we acquire more and more scientific information.In sum, we do not live in a binary world of simple male and female based on seemingly ostensible anatomical reproductive organs and the sex assignment made by an attending physician at the time on one's birth.
#4 Sep 10, 2012
A few questions:
1. What if differences in neurology are just showing how the brain looks after a long period of time starting with when the person begins to think about being the opposite sex and gradually becomes more and more attracted to the idea? What if these differences are not present at birth? How do we know? Are there any brain studies that scanned infant or young children's brains and then compared them later after it was known which of the children became transsexual/transgendered and which did not?
2. What if the variations in genetics are genes that code for factors that increase one's chance of winding up in environmental circumstances that are favorable to coming to desire a sex change? What if the genes involved have indirect rather than direct effects?
3. Why are some transgendered people just happy to live out their lives in the gender role they feel is "themselves" but don't care about changing anything physically (i.e. a male who dresses and lives as female but does not seek a sex change operation) while some insist they "must" change themselves physically? And are there any neurological/genetic differences between the later group of transgendered people and the former?
4. What about in-between? Some female-to-male transsexuals bother getting a phalloplasty but most don't. Some men are called "nullos" and have their genitals removed but continue living as men. What do studies say about these people?
5. What's the difference between Gender Identity Disorder and Body Integrity Identity Disorder? BIID is where a person feels like they will not be whole unless they lose a limb. Currently psychotherapy is usually the course of treatment. Should that change and instead we grant them what they "need" for their identity and do the amputation?
6. And back to the "nullos", that is sometimes thought of as a form of BIID. Currently "nullos" usually get their surgery from "cutters" informally. Should they be allowed to get this from legitimate medical practioners or would that be unethical and if it would be unethical what's the difference between this and sex change surgery?
#5 Sep 11, 2012
This blog is not the "New England Journal of Medicine,JAMA ,or the Lancet," so I am not going get into any long winded and involved discussions with questions dealing with "chicken and egg,nature and nurture topics." You are writing from East Lansing MI so I suspect you are connected in some way with Michigan State University so you have incredible research tools at your disposal to answer your foregoing questions. Do the research and science on these questions with an open mind, a willingness to change your opinion based on your findings and do not pollute your research with narrow "in the box" thinking and a political agenda.Finally,and this is a life lesson, "know, that you don't know," because today's opinions, facts and truths may become tomorrow's myths and magical thinking.
#6 Sep 11, 2012
Thanks for NOT answer the specific questions you raised.
So in effect you really don't a source.
As far as any studies they only resulted in theories, not conclusive facts by the way.
Fact is transsexuals and transgendered people have the right and ability to gturn thier bodies into Gumby if they so wish but they are a huge drain on society both monetarily and legally given they expect everyone to adhere to their messed up state.
Just recently a judge ruled a convicted murderer be allowed to have a sex change in prison on our dime. And most of the transsexuals seem to support this.
Fact is these gender confused people are allowed to play girl as a boy but the line should stop there. Suing an employer for example after a man goes on an extended vacation only to lay out a surprise upon his return that he now kind of looks like a woman and dresses like one should give the employer full rights to let him go depending on the circumstances but instead the tranny community would rather force this issue onto an unwary employer and threaten a lawsuit.
One thing is a fact here despite any theories you can provide....if you're born male you'll always be a man and if you're born a female you'll always be a woman.
Had that not been true these gender confused souls wouldn't find tghemselves injecting more hormones in them than Saudi Arabia pumps crude oil.
Since: Jan 09
#7 Sep 11, 2012
Who knows? Furthermore, Who cares? We don't like to be interrogated about the legitimacy of our core beliefs, feelings, and makeup! We are here! We have always been here and we're not going away.
#8 Sep 11, 2012
You can stay.
But should you be allowed to sue say an employer because you changed your appearance into something that would scare off anything 16 and younger while working at Baskin Robbins and he oe she felt it necessary to let you go?
Add your comments below
|Exclusive: Trump team drafting plan to deport m...||Fri||spytheweb||2|
|El Paso teen pregnancy rates are highest in Texas (Jul '10)||Thu||Fart Spores||104|
|Exclusive: Trump team drafting plan to deport m...||Sep 21||spytheweb||1|
|2 Vt. men face sex crimes involving teens (Nov '10)||Sep 19||Sosick||5|
|Lake Jackson considers teen curfew (Aug '08)||Sep 5||More Farts||10|
|AUSTELL: Slain teen, school gang had history (Apr '08)||Sep 5||Kyle||11|
|Black Superheroes In Hoodies Help Elderly Woman...||Sep 4||13th Angel||47|
Find what you want!
Search Teenagers Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC