4 Teens Killed In Car Crash In Oswego

4 Teens Killed In Car Crash In Oswego

There are 714 comments on the cbs2chicago.com story from Feb 11, 2007, titled 4 Teens Killed In Car Crash In Oswego. In it, cbs2chicago.com reports that:

Four teens died and five other young people were injured Sunday when a car struck a utility pole in far west suburban Oswego.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at cbs2chicago.com.

lex

Bolingbrook, IL

#22 Feb 13, 2007
i worked with mathew and we were pretty close hommies, this just seems so ureal. RIP.
Nicole

Oswego, IL

#23 Feb 13, 2007
I will miss Tiffany very nuch and the others who were killed in the crash. R.I.P And i hope we can u guys soon.
Vida

Wheaton, IL

#24 Feb 13, 2007
so basicly I go OEHS, the other skool, but it has effected all of us .. like we all had conslers to help us through the day yesterday .. like everyone at skool was wearing shirts that said RIP and everything .. i was a veryyy sad day & it draged the whole day long .. & i bascily found out , that 2 of my friends were suppose to be them & its like ironic how they werent in it .. its so werid . its like the saying goes, everything happens for a reason ...
Sad Mom

Wichita, KS

#25 Feb 13, 2007
I understand Vida I did not know these kids either but I live in the community and have one graduate from OHS and one in OEHS currently. I pray for these families and for the friends of the victims. As a mother of teens it is my worst fear for them and their friends that I love so much. To let go and pray that they return home everyday safe and sound. I hope that if anything you kids feel this deeply and keep yourselves safe and make good decisions. I was glad that OEHS recognized that this is a community. This tragedy effects many in many different ways and that they had folks there for you to talk to.
DEBRANN-OSWEGO

Oswego, IL

#26 Feb 13, 2007
My heart goes out to all the families and friends of all the kids in the accident. Iam praying for all of you.
cassandra

Tinley Park, IL

#27 Feb 13, 2007
i am not from the area, but i feel for the family and friends of these teens who lost their lives. i am 19 and i dont know how i would handle loosing 4 friends because i chose to have a night of fun. it just seems that teenagers still dont learn that there are conquences with drinking and driving. we always say there will be a lesson learned....yet crashes still happen due to alcohol. i will pray for those in the hospital, for those families who have lost someone and i will pray that teenagers can get a hint and learn to not DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!
someone who cares

Villa Park, IL

#29 Feb 13, 2007
Dear familes of this aweful accident,

Please let the peace of God surround you! This is so sad I wish I could do something. Please know that there are many prayers going up for all of you. The road ahead may be long, but with the help of loved ones and our Lord Jesus you can make it through!
If nothing else a diffence has been made in others lifes, so this did not happen in vain.
Just a reader

Somerset, KY

#28 Feb 13, 2007
I'm just another person that happened to glance down at the newspaper and see the headlines and pictures so i read on. Being someone that didn't know anyone involved and not even bein from the same town, I was suprised to see how it affected myself as well as the other people sittin around me readin about it. I'm 20 years old and remember bein their ages and doing the same stupid things and making the same stupid decisions. And then i lost a good friend to drunk driving, and it woke me up. It sucks that it takes something this big this painful and this real to let people know that life is not a game, but we are human. No one is invincable. Hopefully everything that has happened will wake people up. If it don't, then everyone might as well prepare for another tragedy. My hearts and prayers go out to the familys the friends the neighbors the community and everyone else in this country.
unreal

Oswego, IL

#30 Feb 13, 2007
Very sad what happened, I feel for the parents, friends, and family that are suffering for the loss, of the children.
BUT!!! One beer does not constitute drunk driving, and does not make the driver a killer. She got into a CAR ACCIDENT. She's 23 with 2 children, do you really think she is gonna invite children in her car if she was plastered? No.
And she is being charged with all these fines and etc. when she already has the death of 4 kids on her hand?
Unfair. Totally unfair.
Yes, unfair as well that the 4 young children lost their life, and the others are critical. But really chalking it up to "drunk driving" is a little ridiculous.
Stupidity, yes, for letting that many kids in her car. But don't charge her for every account available. Why were these 14 year old, or 15 year old children out at 2 am?
niccole donaldson

Gilberts, IL

#31 Feb 13, 2007
i was friens with tiffany urso one of the teens that died so was a very outgoin young lady..... i cant be leave that she is gone.. the drive should get put away for life i kno thats harsh but what can i say she killed 4 innocent teens and put the others in critical condition..... well thats all i have to say... and i also new arielle rexford one of them that servived in the crash.
cbringle

Elgin, IL

#33 Feb 13, 2007
unreal wrote:
Very sad what happened, I feel for the parents, friends, and family that are suffering for the loss, of the children.
BUT!!! One beer does not constitute drunk driving, and does not make the driver a killer. She got into a CAR ACCIDENT. She's 23 with 2 children, do you really think she is gonna invite children in her car if she was plastered? No.
And she is being charged with all these fines and etc. when she already has the death of 4 kids on her hand?
Unfair. Totally unfair.
Yes, unfair as well that the 4 young children lost their life, and the others are critical. But really chalking it up to "drunk driving" is a little ridiculous.
Stupidity, yes, for letting that many kids in her car. But don't charge her for every account available. Why were these 14 year old, or 15 year old children out at 2 am?
People comment on the facts presented, and as of right now, this is what they are reading
Concerned from Osweg

United States

#32 Feb 13, 2007
I am very sorry, but I think your message is destructive and irresponsible! This driver's blood alcohol was beyong the legal limit, which 100% DOES make this about DRUNK DRIVING! It is also about poor choices and teenagers learning lessons and parents becoming more ofeensive when your children tell you what they are doing socially.
I taught Tiffany in school and I pray for all who mourn these losses. I also pray this lesson ripples far and wide so we do not lose any more lives.
unreal wrote:
Unfair. Totally unfair.
Ray V Aurora IL

AOL

#34 Feb 13, 2007
I was deeply saddened when I heard the news about the car accident that claimed the lives of four teenagers and possibly a fifth. I didnt know any of the victims personally, I did meet Katie Merkel several months ago. She used to date my nephew. She seemed like a terrific person that was full of energy. My heart and prayers goes out to the victims families that lost a loved one and for the survivors and their families. May God give you the strengh to overcome this tragedy when the healing process begins.
WJM

Oswego, IL

#35 Feb 14, 2007
It is very sad that the driver will be held responsible for the deaths of the 4 teens and from what we hear, the other boy is possibly not going to make it. She was the adult, for whatever reason, said she would drive them home. I am sure it is something she will always regret. From what we know of the driver, she is a CNA at a nursing home... and a young mom herself.. she naturally helps people and knows the love you have for your own children. I am sure the realization of what she has done is punishment enough, but it can't be left at that. They all made poor choices that night.. but she will be the one held accountable.

I also wanted to say thank you to Officer Sherwood who was on the scene of the accident. He was the D.A.R.E. Officer for both of my daughters in the Oswego School Dist. He worked very hard with all of our kids, talking to them about this type of scenerio. Most of the kids in the accident also went thru the D.A.R.E. program, too. Our kids are trying to grow up too fast... Our prayers go out to our community and our children.
Parent of 4 in Oswego

Greenwood, IN

#36 Feb 14, 2007
First, this is extremely SAD and I pray for all involved God will be with you and your children always, just open your heart!

Second, What are the consequences of having these children out past curfew? If there are to be village laws that govern our behavior should they not be enforced regardless of the very sad circumstances? What will the rest of the community learn from this? We as parents must be held responsible for our children and their actions. When I was 15 I drove a friends car without a license with 7 people in the car (including my little brother who was not given a choice) no seatbelts were worn and we crashed into a utility pole causing a power outage and BY THE GRACE OF GOD only somewhat minor injuries occurred. My parents were held accountable for MY actions along with the other parents (owners of the vehicle) which makes sense of curfew laws to me now. From that day on my parents ALWAYS knew where I was at and we both made that agreement.
Parents everywhere need to talk with your children and make sure that this could not happen to your family, this is simply a case of PARENTS and their chidren NOT Communicating PERIOD. Parents have been interviewed and have admitted they thought their child was here or there and NO ONE knew the location of their child. With honest discussions, trust (not to mention technology ie cell phones, GPS from home computers)or getting in your car and checking on your child. NO one has ever said that raising adults was easy nothing wonderful ever is!
Saddened from Oswego

Oswego, IL

#37 Feb 14, 2007
One comment that I noticed no one made while we are trying to figure out why the teens got in the car with this girl was maybe they trusted her. She was alot older, she had a car, she was a mom. Just maybe they thought she was okay and they would be safe. And if EVERYONE was drinking, then it probably affected all their judgement. I hope God gives them the strength to get through all this and just hope we can all learn from this terrible tragedy.
Carlos Beidleman

Bolingbrook, IL

#38 Feb 14, 2007
I have 6 children and my oldest is always asking why? Dad, why do you check on me. Why must my freinds parents have to verify if I am sleeping over. Why do I have to be in by 10pm and if its later why do you have to pick me up why? why ? why?
Those children will be missed and my heart aches for their families and I know that not all the facts are out, but why are those kids drinking and what logic made them all get into that car. Its time that parents stop being freinds and start being parents. My answer to my children is always the same...I ask.... because I LOVE YOU!!!!
and till you are older I reserve the right not to trust you or the peer pressure you are getting in High School.
Trageties will always happen, some common sense might have avoided this one.
God Bless the children and the families of this tragic accident, but you can't sugar coat it, your lifes will never be the same again and time might dull the pain, but you will never forget all the what ifs.
Neil from Chicago

Chicago, IL

#40 Feb 14, 2007
I'm a grown adult, but I remember in college there we're a couple times I went into a packed car late at night with my peers. On one occasion me and three buddies packed into a four passenger car with about 6 girls. The whole time someone was harassing the driver and it was a blseeing we did n't get into an accident. But at that age, you don't think of consequences to your actions. Evan at age 23, teh driver is still legally an adult but at that age still avery young person. Actions like this is something that is done all the time by young people. I give my condolences to the friends and family of the ones who we're lost.
brian

United States

#39 Feb 14, 2007
unreal wrote:
Unfair. Totally unfair.
Are you an idiot her mexican self new she was drunk and why would she even be hanging out with 14-17 year olds? its her fault and she deserves life in jail! God your stupid
Lennis Geiken

AOL

#41 Feb 14, 2007
My heart is with all the kids and their families also.
I lost a sister several years ago due to others
She was in a coma for 9 months Had brain surgery
I know the hurt and the anger and wanting to blame someone. I pray you all will find peace in your hearts and let God take the anger and place before Him and do as only He sees fit.

I was told a story about a lady in the hospital who was near death when an area Chaplain came to visit her. This Chaplain was a very young female with long blond hair. She listened to the lady who was ill and left her a small gift for comfort. It was a tiny ceramic frog.

The next day one of the people from the lady's church came to visit. The lady told her friend about the beautiful young Chaplain who had come to visit her. The friend was so impressed with the way the lady had improved and felt the need to talk to the young Chaplain. In her search to find the young gal, she was repeatedly reassured that the chaplains are never very young and that there was never a gal that fit the description given.

Upon returning to the lady in the hospital, a visiting nurse entered the room and noticed the ceramic frog. The nurse made the comment "I see you have a guardian angel with you," As she held the little frog. We asked why she made the comment and we were informed that the frog stood for:

(F) Fully (R) Rely (O) On (G) God

To The World You Might Be One Person; But To One Person You Might Be the World.

Jesus Called and these children answered
May they and you all find peace.
Blessings,
Lennis Geiken

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Teenagers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jenks Alternative Center Students Lobby Lawmakers (Feb '10) Nov 30 shamika pasley 17
News The Gangs of (Brentwood) New York Nov 28 The Mick 3
News Chicago teens fatally shot congressman's grands... Nov 23 Jungle Mentality 6
News Challenges facing refugees push some kids into ... Nov 20 Mullet Omar Simps... 1
News 2 teens charged with murder in shooting of U.S.... Nov 20 Babydoll 1
News 200 teens involved in nightclub disturbance (Mar '08) Nov 17 Jon 61
News Teen gang Crazy White Boys connected to August ... (Oct '08) Nov 15 West 11th 321
More from around the web