Health - Study: Marijuana and Depressed Teens are a Dangerous Mix

There are 24 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from May 11, 2008, titled Health - Study: Marijuana and Depressed Teens are a Dangerous Mix. In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

VIDEO: NBC News Channel Report Talk Back: Post a comment on this article By Tracie Potts, NBC News Channel Teenagers appear to be using marijuana to fight depression, the government said Friday, but they could ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
the joker

Middleburg, FL

#1 May 11, 2008
Taste the madness "Reeeefffffeeerrr MMmmaaaddddnnneeessss". Are people still stupid enough to believe this propoganda? Marijuana leads to carpentry, Tetris, and board games like Chess and Stratego. Its never been the gateway to other drugs, its been the gateway to Milton Bradley.
kitty

San Diego, CA

#2 May 12, 2008
i think majuana should not be used by anyone because there have been to many diffrent studys on the drug. and the drug is harmful in many ways. these kids seem to trying to fit in with the main crowd and these kids need their parents more than ever right now.
the kids possiby need to go to church more often. and find a person to talk to aoubt things that they are having to deal with. these kids need to know that they can talk to their parents about anything and it doesn't matter what it is.
James

Fairport, NY

#3 May 12, 2008
The only reason its deemed legal is because our government wants you to think that. TO take pot away would ruin Krispy Kreme, convienence stores, fast food joints, waffle house, where all the pot heads go when they get the munchies.
jesse285

United States

#4 May 12, 2008
the joker wrote:
Taste the madness "Reeeefffffeeerrr MMmmaaaddddnnneeessss". Are people still stupid enough to believe this propoganda? Marijuana leads to carpentry, Tetris, and board games like Chess and Stratego. Its never been the gateway to other drugs, its been the gateway to Milton Bradley.
You know before I know the true and you are right, but the only problem about this is the break in the move of the human mind.
samps

Jacksonville, FL

#5 May 12, 2008
wow, shocking discovery
pot + depression = not good
wonder how long it took to discover this

“WHAT HUMP? ”

Since: Mar 08

Chicago

#6 May 12, 2008
When I was a kid (which of course was not too long ago lol) I tried pot cuz everyone else was and used it cuz it felt good.

Maybe all the other "legal" drugs that the family doctor (drug pusher) is giving the kids is causing the depression or all the drugs and booze mom and dad are using or being dumped by the hottie teacher you were doin or the economy and no jobs. There's a million things that can cause a kid to be depressed....not pot
Zoom

United States

#7 May 12, 2008
kitty wrote:
i think majuana should not be used by anyone because there have been to many diffrent studys on the drug. and the drug is harmful in many ways. these kids seem to trying to fit in with the main crowd and these kids need their parents more than ever right now.
the kids possiby need to go to church more often. and find a person to talk to aoubt things that they are having to deal with. these kids need to know that they can talk to their parents about anything and it doesn't matter what it is.
Do you trust the FDA? There has been little effort on the FDA's part to control the "PILL" companies that have put out, what, 7-10 pills that needed to be pulled because of the side effects, to include death. I have never heard of anyone dying of a pot O.D., in fact I have never heard of anyone getting cancer from pot. Pot has been outlawed from that late 20's and the government is still trying to test its effects,yet they are unable to provide concrete evidence of the effects of pot. I find this to be off, how about you?
Zoom

United States

#8 May 12, 2008
Kitty just one more thing, have you seen on TV all the drugs being advertised and all of the disclosures of side effects that may result from taking a particular medication? Do you still feel pot is bad for you when you can take a medication for a runny nose and possibily die of a heart attack?
haha

AOL

#9 May 14, 2008
ice cream and a depressed teen is a dangerous mix.who comes up with this stuff.anything and a depressed teen is bad.
haha

AOL

#10 May 14, 2008
kitty wrote:
kitty how many people have died in the name of religion, ok ill tell you millions have died for thousands of years in the name of religion. we would have more money to deal with depressed teens if their was not a war against pot smokers

“WHAT HUMP? ”

Since: Mar 08

Chicago

#11 May 14, 2008
Suddenly got the munchies
haha

AOL

#12 May 14, 2008
how about stupid news reports and depressed teens are a dangerous mix
tommy salami

United States

#13 May 14, 2008
only time i am depressed..is when i am OUT OF WEED!!!!
dutchboy

Jacksonville, FL

#14 May 14, 2008
I so TOTALLY agree with the last statement....I know many professionals (i.e. LEO/JSO; attorneys, even Judges) and the rest of whom i grew up with that contiunue to smoke marijuana...NONE OF THESE HORROR STORIES as reportee by first coast have ever happended to about 20-25 of my acquaintances that smoke marijuana regularly. Personally, smoking marijuana on an occasional (1-2X/yearly) is a treat to me, but when I was younger I smoked daily, and also got a BA in Psychology, MA in Social Science, and MA in Education...So really the dumg people are the ones that don;t know what they are missing...Wished I had a connection:-)
dutchboy

Jacksonville, FL

#15 May 14, 2008
kitty wrote:
I asgree that marijuana may cause GANG TERRITORY wars, but the smoke itself does not cause dilenquency....In terms of spirituality(church)...Indians (other tribal people) have used a variety of herbs...and nothing but SPIRITUALITY occurs. SO get off your Church slump...Afer all, if it were legal it, the government could control it better than as it is on the black market, therefore protecting the underage who are still maturing...Having stated that, if it were controlled by the government, it would keep teens (and/or adults) away from trying harder drugs!!!!
dutchboy

Jacksonville, FL

#16 May 14, 2008
I totally agree..The only reason people consider it as a gatewsay drug is beccause initially people buy weed, then the "black market-dealer" offers hard drugs such as CRACK/COCAINE/HERION..etc...If the purchase of marijuana was regulated by the government, then most people would never be exposed/offered harder drugs that are on the black market!!!!
the joker wrote:
Pothead

Brunswick, GA

#17 May 14, 2008
We have depressed teenagers DRINKING too. They can acquire the booze easier than they can acquire the weed. It's legal for their 21 year old friends to get it on any street corner.

Have you ever seen a pothead in a barroom brawl?
dutchboy

Jacksonville, FL

#18 May 14, 2008
Joey K wrote:
When I was a kid (which of course was not too long ago lol) I tried pot cuz everyone else was and used it cuz it felt good.
Maybe all the other "legal" drugs that the family doctor (drug pusher) is giving the kids is causing the depression or all the drugs and booze mom and dad are using or being dumped by the hottie teacher you were doin or the economy and no jobs. There's a million things that can cause a kid to be depressed....not pot
GREAT RESPONSE, I TOTALLY AGREE!!!
dutchboy

Jacksonville, FL

#19 May 14, 2008
Marijuana TAXES plus legalization would give the
US some additional taxes/surplus and lowe teh people in prison for non-violent drug charges...What do you think????
Knows the real truth

United States

#20 May 17, 2008
YOU WILL NEVER GET THE REAL FACTS ABOUT POT UNLESS YOU GET AWAY FROM WHAT GOVERNMENT AND LAW ENFORCEMENT HAS TO SAY. LOOK AT HOW MANY OF THESE PEOPLE WOULD NOT HAVE JOBS AND NOT BE NEEDED IF ALL THE FACTS WERE REALLY MADE PUBLIC BY TRULY NON BIASED ORGANISATIONS.FACT IS IT IS HUMAN NATURE TO WANT TO GET HIGH BY WHATEVER MEANS AND THE LARGEST PART OF OUR SOCIETY NEEDS TO BE SEDATED ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.LOOK AT HOW MANY ARE TAKING PROZAC ZOLOFT ECT. ALL THE WAY DOWN TO CAFFEINE AND NICOTIN. ALL PSHYCO ACTIVE DRUGS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Teenagers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News From Hurricane Katrina to Howard University, a ... Mon Le Jimbo 7
News Two missing Oakville teens spotted in downtown ... May 2 they were away be4 1
News Lansing teens face felony charges in fight (Sep '08) May 2 Cracker 167
I caught my brother masturbating, was my reacti... (Mar '13) May 1 Nice Big Brother 19
News Police seek public's help in search for missing... May 1 they been away Be4 1
News 3 teens to be tried as adults in rock maiming o... May 1 see the light 1
I want to seduce my aunt (i heard her talking a... Apr 30 Hwayne 3
More from around the web