Yoga the new craze at Santa Cruz High...

Yoga the new craze at Santa Cruz High; class filled beyond capa...

There are 26 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Sep 22, 2009, titled Yoga the new craze at Santa Cruz High; class filled beyond capa.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The 6-foot-2 football player raises his arms, breathes in and lunges forward on his left leg.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lux

Clovis, CA

#32 Sep 26, 2009
parent of SC High wrote:
I am seriously outraged and blown away by the type of responses that this article has drawn. The lack of appreciation that some have for the art of yoga is shameful. Not everyone has to have an interest in yoga or even like it, but to ridicule the boys pictured and consider them in your minds as less than a man is purely a shovanistic attitude. It takes serious guts for a young man to step forward and participate in something that would other wise be classified as a feminine activity. This class is offered during first period at 8 am everyday. It is a wonderful way for these students to begin their morning. It gives them the time and space to prepair themselves mentally,physically and emotionally for the days rigorous course work. I personally don't know a single person who enjoys waking up and by 8 am throwing your mind into world wind of equations in trig class or attempting to remember the elements on the periodic table. I know I sure as heck didn't. I have personally watched the benefits this yoga class has had on my son and it has been an incredibly positive experience. In only a few short weeks I have witnessed an amazing strength develop from within my son. He has now found a way to center himself and react to amazingly ignorant people and situations in a mature and responsible way. And yes I accredit yoga and his teacher Kelly Andrews for helping bring this out in him. Seriously don't knock it until you have the guts yourself to try it. And since some of you will probably ask, no I am not a yogi myself nor am I a typical Santa Cruzian hippie. I am however a person who has grown up here, moved away and come back so I could raise my children in a place where people from every diverse background are welcome.
Good post. You used a much more intellectual approach than the one saying they teach it because the other sports are too violent. The way you made your point was very articulate and informative. Thanks for the fresh perspective!
I'm not sure that I agree with you that Santa Cruz is very diverse, tho. There seems to be two races there. I think you know what they are.
_SC Pops_

Felton, CA

#33 Sep 26, 2009
Lux wrote:
<quoted text>Good post...The way you made your point was very articulate and informative.
Except the plethora of misspelled words, that is. ;-)
Tola Rat

San Francisco, CA

#34 Sep 30, 2009
Kelly Andrews is an amazing person and an amazing teacher. Santa Cruz High (and Santa Cruz for that matter) is lucky to have her. Way to go Kelly! You are truly making a positive difference in these kid's lives. Thank you!
Pat Kittle

Simi Valley, CA

#35 Sep 30, 2009
I do yoga. Maybe I can come in and show these kids a thing or two.

“Oh well, been called worse ”

Since: Sep 09

Santa Cruz

#36 Oct 1, 2009
_SC Pops_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Except the plethora of misspelled words, that is. ;-)
Come on Pops stick to the topic ,,,, Bad form there mister !!!!!!!! Good old fashioned deflecting of the topic on your part buddy !!!!! You should be embarresed !!!

Since: May 13

Dhaka, Bangladesh

#37 May 13, 2013
any good trainer will tell you are healthy diet first and light exercise as like walking. Running while overweight can put horrible strains on knees and ankles.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Teenagers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Meeting Held To Discuss Fate Of Boys Responsibl... (Aug '06) 4 hr Facebook friends 4
News From Amish to Ozarks, not the same old stories (Jun '08) 19 hr Former Student 41
I (girl) Walked in on my older brother masturba... Aug 24 wanderkub 1
News LGBTI campaigners turn on Swinney over homophob... Aug 21 Cave Man Alert 5
I think my 16 year old daughter is getting fat ... (Feb '10) Aug 20 hi there 101
News 3 teens dead after stealing one car too many Aug 17 where were your p... 6
News The Latest: Milwaukee toughens teen curfew Aug 16 Sammy 3
More from around the web