In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Acade...

In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong

There are 370 comments on the www.theatlantic.com story from Dec 13, 2012, titled In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong. In it, www.theatlantic.com reports that:

In the 1960s and '70s, towns across the South created inexpensive private schools to keep white students from having to mix with black.

took LaToysha Brown 13 years to realize how little interaction she had with white peers in her Mississippi Delta town: not at church, not at school, not at anywhere. The realization dawned when she was in the seventh grade, studying the civil rights movement at an after-school program called the Sunflower County Freedom Project. It didn't bother her at first. By high school, however, Brown had started to wonder if separate could ever be equal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.theatlantic.com.

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#367 Jan 21, 2013
Pappasmurf2252 wrote:
<quoted text>
Affirmative action is equal opportunity employment.
....unless you are a white heterosexual male. Apparently, some people are more 'equal' than others when it comes to Affirmative Action. And you can delve into semantics all you like but there is minority set aside and diversity quotas. These mean that dark faces are hired whether they are qualified or not and society suffers for this.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#368 Jan 21, 2013
Listen, dipshit, read through the past two days of posts on this and try to open that tiny little mind of yours to see the bigger picture outside of the little bubble that you have built as your world. I've had it with peons like yourself who get on forums and try to have a debate with someone when you have not the tiniest notion of what the hell your discussing. WeTheSheeple and I have both tried to explain the truth to you but you do not listen. You call both of us racist and then you say to me "so it's demented to think that all men should be trated equal by the gov? And you say this on MLK day?". No, screw you buddy. You don't give a shit about MLK so do not sit there an chastise me by twisting what I said. I have said IN WRITING (it's a forum, dumbass) that I believe everyone should be treated equal, and you get on here blasting laws that MAKE things equal for all races. Get your facts straight, until then stay off of forums because you embarass yourself.
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#369 Jan 21, 2013
Pappasmurf2252 wrote:
Listen, dipshit, read through the past two days of posts on this and try to open that tiny little mind of yours to see the bigger picture outside of the little bubble that you have built as your world. I've had it with peons like yourself who get on forums and try to have a debate with someone when you have not the tiniest notion of what the hell your discussing. WeTheSheeple and I have both tried to explain the truth to you but you do not listen. You call both of us racist and then you say to me "so it's demented to think that all men should be trated equal by the gov? And you say this on MLK day?". No, screw you buddy. You don't give a shit about MLK so do not sit there an chastise me by twisting what I said. I have said IN WRITING (it's a forum, dumbass) that I believe everyone should be treated equal, and you get on here blasting laws that MAKE things equal for all races. Get your facts straight, until then stay off of forums because you embarass yourself.
Name calling means you've lost the argument. Perhaps avoid these forums for a bit so your blood pressure stays normal.

Location hidden

#370 Jan 21, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
....unless you are a white heterosexual male. Apparently, some people are more 'equal' than others when it comes to Affirmative Action. And you can delve into semantics all you like but there is minority set aside and diversity quotas. These mean that dark faces are hired whether they are qualified or not and society suffers for this.
THERE IT IS!!! You call us racist yet the TRUE plain2see is coming out now. So you are upset because a "dark face" gets the job before someone else. That is up to the employer, not the government. The government PREVENTS this from happening all over the nation. It protects ALL RACES from discrimination. You are nothing but a racist prick who hides behind a pointing finger. Look in the mirror, YOU are the issue with this nation, you are one racist individual. Seriously, take a good hard look at yourself.

Location hidden

#371 Jan 21, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
Name calling means you've lost the argument. Perhaps avoid these forums for a bit so your blood pressure stays normal.
No, you get on here and call me a racist and then try to purposely spin my words. You better believe that is going to get my blood pressure up. You have ZERO facts to back up what you believe to be the truth yet ignore the facts that have been laid before you. You're only course of action after that is to spin a complete lie to make the person who you don't agree with to look the exact opposite of what they stand for. It is you that is the racist and you completely blew your cover with the last post saying a "dark face" gets the job first. That's what angers you the most isn't it? You cannot stand the fact that a black man gets something before you.
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#372 Jan 21, 2013
Pappasmurf2252 wrote:
<quoted text>
THERE IT IS!!! You call us racist yet the TRUE plain2see is coming out now. So you are upset because a "dark face" gets the job before someone else. That is up to the employer, not the government. The government PREVENTS this from happening all over the nation. It protects ALL RACES from discrimination. You are nothing but a racist prick who hides behind a pointing finger. Look in the mirror, YOU are the issue with this nation, you are one racist individual. Seriously, take a good hard look at yourself.
No, if the only reason anyone gets a job is because of skin color and not qualification, that's a problem. Doesn't matter if the person is white or black or whatever. IF one is hired ONLY because of color, then that is a racist hiring policy and that is exactly what Affirmative Action is.

The word racist doesn't bother me. I personally do not want any one held back if they have the ability, I do take issue with policies that benefit so called minorities to the detriment of society as a whole-big difference there. Slide your race card back in your pocket, it is null and void.
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#373 Jan 21, 2013
Pappasmurf2252 wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot stand the fact that a black man gets something before you.
I bet you're black aren't you? Then your ramblings make sense. lol

Location hidden

#374 Jan 21, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>I bet you're black aren't you? Then your ramblings make sense. lol
Haha and we are racist. No, I'm white. Believe it or not I lean towards conservative too but I'm an extremist which you obviously are.
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#375 Jan 21, 2013
Pappasmurf2252 wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha and we are racist. No, I'm white. Believe it or not I lean towards conservative too but I'm an extremist which you obviously are.
How am I extreme in believing that everyone should have a fair shot based on qualification alone? You make no sense.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#376 Jun 30, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Racial segregation still going strong in the deep south?
Gee, what a shocker!
That's just one of many reasons I no longer travel below the Manson-Nixon line into the confederacy.
The last States where women and 'coloreds' had the right to vote..Tern pregnancy/High school dropouts are everywhere

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Teenagers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Teens charged with violent crimes also linked t... 20 hr Bluntruth 1
News Sorensons Ranch School helps when teens make ba... (Oct '10) Apr 17 Anonymous 37
News Teens plead not guilty to near-fatal beating of... (Aug '09) Apr 14 Eye 4 N Eyw 9
News Teens help rescue six people from capsized boat... Apr 12 jimbo 1
News Teens arrested in video arcade robbery attempt Apr 11 The Thinker Ate M... 19
News 2 dead, 17 wounded in shooting at Kentucky high... Apr 6 javawhey 2,193
News Failing our children Apr 4 Its reality 5