Honey Boo Boo, child-appropriate TV?

Honey Boo Boo, child-appropriate TV?

There are 53 comments on the Examiner.com story from Aug 9, 2012, titled Honey Boo Boo, child-appropriate TV?. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

Since making a name for herself on TLC's reality show about child pageants , "Toddlers and Tiaras," Alana ' Honey Boo Boo ' has managed to find herself a reality show sensation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“May you all come home”

Since: Mar 07

safely Bless you all

#1 Aug 19, 2012
This is an article that SHOULD draw the attention of child protection agencies. A good article that says so much of what so many in the public are saying, but alas, these things make so much money, the only thing the public can do is boycott the sponsors and be more vocal about it

Unfortunately, it is scary how many people will tune in to watch this trash and exploitive show along with the pageant exploitive and inappropriate shows

In this case, while "cute", this is not an overly attractive child, but look at her with all that makeup. She ended up looking like a young Tammy Faye Baker.

It's just obscene! When will the public wake up??!!!

Since: May 11

Seattle, WA

#2 Aug 19, 2012
Capricorn wrote:
This is an article that SHOULD draw the attention of child protection agencies. A good article that says so much of what so many in the public are saying, but alas, these things make so much money, the only thing the public can do is boycott the sponsors and be more vocal about it
Unfortunately, it is scary how many people will tune in to watch this trash and exploitive show along with the pageant exploitive and inappropriate shows
In this case, while "cute", this is not an overly attractive child, but look at her with all that makeup. She ended up looking like a young Tammy Faye Baker.
It's just obscene! When will the public wake up??!!!
I think Honey Boo Boo is as cute as a cupie doll. In fact, she reminds me of old Hollywood child stars like the kids from Our Gang, a baby from the 30's. That said, the show and all the players are a hot mess and no child should be in HBB's shoes. Once she grows into her tweens, she's in for a rude awakening and then what will they do? She's headed for a big let down unless she has school and friends to keep her grounded..which I highly doubt will be the case. Education doesn't seem to be mama's top priority.
The Truth Hurts

Southfield, MI

#3 Aug 19, 2012
Is that the kid who needs subtitles because you can't understand a word she says?

pupsilicious

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#4 Aug 19, 2012
Well, maybe the family will use the money that they make from the show for a lap band operation on the mother. This show is sad and pathetic.
Retired Nurse

Heber Springs, AR

#5 Aug 19, 2012
The behavior of the entire family is appalling and disgusting. I cannot believe teaching a young child disgusting behavior by her parents and siblings is "entertainment".

TLC should be ashamed for exploiting an innocent child who comes from an obviously poor family who doesn't have a clue about manners or etiquette. It is quite obvious the child doesn't have the typical "pageant" look and she will be ostricized by others.
What happens when she goes to school and hears others making fun of her and her family?


Perhaps we should all make TLC aware of how outraged we really are. So called entertainment at the expense of an innocent child is beyond cruel and should be stopped.

“May you all come home”

Since: Mar 07

safely Bless you all

#7 Aug 20, 2012
Retired Nurse wrote:
The behavior of the entire family is appalling and disgusting. I cannot believe teaching a young child disgusting behavior by her parents and siblings is "entertainment".
TLC should be ashamed for exploiting an innocent child who comes from an obviously poor family who doesn't have a clue about manners or etiquette. It is quite obvious the child doesn't have the typical "pageant" look and she will be ostricized by others.
What happens when she goes to school and hears others making fun of her and her family?
Perhaps we should all make TLC aware of how outraged we really are. So called entertainment at the expense of an innocent child is beyond cruel and should be stopped.
The only way these shows will ever stop is if people stop watching them. People have the power to make or break any show by refusing to watch and write and boycott the sponsors.

Money talks with any industry and if there are no sponsors, there is no show. It also boggles the mind that child protection agencies aren't swooping in on these parents and organizations as well as the reality shows that exploit children, period. Not just the pageant shows but all the reality shows that include children. It should be against the law IMO

The pageants are also entertainment for adults at the expense of the children.

“May you all come home”

Since: Mar 07

safely Bless you all

#8 Aug 20, 2012
This is news that is on every station today

http://video.today.msnbc.ms n. com/today/48716488#48716488

This is a custody case where a father is fighting for custody for his daughter, whose mom is putting her in the pageants and "sexualizing" her.

All the talking heads are claiming that this could be groundbreaking and has brought attention to this horrific problem. If he gets custody, many parents will be forced to RECONSIDER the lifestyle of their little girls.

I hope he wins the case. perhaps that is the only way the problem can be resolved

“May you all come home”

Since: Mar 07

safely Bless you all

#9 Aug 20, 2012
I wanted to add that I put the link in but separated some of it so you have to put it together to get it, but it will be on every news station

I didn't realize it would show up as a link anyway, but it is easily found
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#10 Aug 21, 2012
..Perhaps reality television, has found it's bottom.....

“May you all come home”

Since: Mar 07

safely Bless you all

#11 Aug 21, 2012
I think reality TV hit bottom a long time ago.

Jersey Shore is a prime example, but only one of the many examples

The nation is getting dumber I guess if they have that many viewers supporting the sponsors

Since: May 11

Seattle, WA

#12 Aug 21, 2012
Capricorn wrote:
I think reality TV hit bottom a long time ago.
Jersey Shore is a prime example, but only one of the many examples
The nation is getting dumber I guess if they have that many viewers supporting the sponsors
I disagree Cap, Kardashians get the prize for hitting the BIG BOTTOM, no pun intended;)

“May you all come home”

Since: Mar 07

safely Bless you all

#13 Aug 21, 2012
realTopaz wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree Cap, Kardashians get the prize for hitting the BIG BOTTOM, no pun intended;)
LOL, you have a valid point. I think I even asked once on here many moons ago WHY we follow them, but it seems that it is what the people want.

I'll stick to The Soup and get all the stuff I missed :)

“May you all come home”

Since: Mar 07

safely Bless you all

#14 Aug 21, 2012
Actually, that should have read that I always wondered why we kept up with them and WHO WERE THEY LOL?

Since: May 11

Seattle, WA

#15 Aug 21, 2012
Capricorn wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, you have a valid point. I think I even asked once on here many moons ago WHY we follow them, but it seems that it is what the people want.
I'll stick to The Soup and get all the stuff I missed :)
LOL that's the only way to take it in. The Soup and Daily Show are all you need to keep up in this world,..and the Colbert Report for fun:D

Since: May 11

Seattle, WA

#16 Aug 21, 2012
Capricorn wrote:
Actually, that should have read that I always wondered why we kept up with them and WHO WERE THEY LOL?
We 'keep up' with them I guess because Kim has a gigantic bum and she made a porno with Brandy's little brother. That's about the only thing they ever did, other than be related to OJ's friend and accomplice, Robert "I'll get rid of the golf bag" Kardashian. Ryan Seacrest must have liked the porno, a big rearend or OJ.

Ole South

“2009, 2011, 2012”

Since: Aug 11

Roll Tide - Good Luck, Tide!

#17 Aug 21, 2012
I didn't find a thing about it, "cute". And, I believe "Retired Nurse" said it all. I can only feel disgust at the depths to which some people have fallen in raising their children.

Back when mine were little, I had a little plaque on the wall in their bedroom. Of course, they could not read it, but I read it to them often and it became engrained in my mind. Such a beautiful, instructive message/guide that I suspect not many parents nowadays ever heard of:

A CHILD LEARNS WHAT HE LIVES
by Dorothy Nolte

If a child lives with criticism,
He learns to condemn.
If a child lives with hostility,
He learns to fight.
If a child lives with ridicule,
He learns to be shy.
If a child lives with shame,
He learns to feel guilty.
If a child lives with tolerance,
He learns to be patient.
If a child lives with encouragement,
He learns confidence.
If a child lives with praise,
He learns to appreciate.
If a child lives with fairness,
He learns justice.
If a child lives with security,
He learns to have faith.
If a child lives with approval,
He learns to like himself.
If a child lives with acceptance and friendship,
He learns to find love in the world.

“May you all come home”

Since: Mar 07

safely Bless you all

#18 Aug 22, 2012
http://www .huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/20 /maddy-verst-dolly-parton-cust ody-toddlers-tiaras_n_1812317. html

Excerpt:

"....The judge also made sure to ban Jackson from signing up her daughter for any pageants until the proceedings are finished. Just before the gag order, Jackson told "Fox News" that she hasn't done anything "illegal" to warrant losing custody and expressed concern for the future of beauty pageants:"

It's a start
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#19 Aug 22, 2012
This is kinda like, in the old days, when the circus would come to town, and they had this freak show....if you paid your quarter, you could go into the tent and actually see them.....now, we pay for cable....

“May you all come home”

Since: Mar 07

safely Bless you all

#20 Aug 22, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
This is kinda like, in the old days, when the circus would come to town, and they had this freak show....if you paid your quarter, you could go into the tent and actually see them.....now, we pay for cable....
I couldn't have said it better myself. You are soooo right
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#21 Aug 22, 2012
Capricorn wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't have said it better myself. You are soooo right
Curiously, we are both Capricorns....Jan. 19th for me...lol...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Preschoolers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Poorest preschoolers most vulnerable to fatal c... Apr '17 Spotted Girl 1
News Preschoolers to enter Kanawha County school sys... (Mar '17) Mar '17 FEMA 4
News Thompson reads to preschoolers during Georgia P... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Captain Kangaroo 8
News NPR examines how Conn. is combating preschool s... (Sep '16) Sep '16 BPT 1
News Colorado preschoolers learning about same-sex c... (Mar '16) Apr '16 A_Visitor 4
child refuses to go to preschool (Mar '06) Jan '16 Dan 90
News Judge blocks NYC flu vaccine requirement for pr... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Vaccines Cause Au... 1
More from around the web