Jackson County Pioneers Missouri Move to Fathering Courts

Full story: Fox4KC

Kevin Gainey was on top of the world. A good job as a bail bondsman, a lake home, and custody of his young son following his divorce.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Wendy Reed

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

Judged:

Dear Mr. Holt~
My name is Wendy Reed, I am the mother of Kevin Gainey's son that you highlighted this evening in your "Daddy do over" / "Deadbeat to Devoted" segment on
Fathering courts. My son's name is Nicholaus who is now 19 years old and has little if anything to do with his father. Mr. Kevin Gainey has continued to play
the system for years and now he has been featured on the local news, which leaves me flabbergasted. I am appauled that Channel 4 news would cover a story without
the complete details.
Just to clarify.. Nick was born without his father even around, Kevin returned to Missouri after his drug induced haze in California when Nick was almost a year old.
Kevin became a decent father for several years, when I fell on hard times and I let Nick live with his father for 3 years when he was 5 years old. When Nick was 8
(not 10) I remarried and Nick came home with me, his sister and his new step father, because Kevin had lost his home and in fact he came to live with us as well.
Kevin has lived with me and my husband many times over the years all the while trying to get his act together. He never has... Kevin has been living in "the welcome house"
for over a year, with no intentions of moving. Kevin has never kept a real job, because that would mean he would have his wages garnished for child support.
He has ducked, dodged and played the child support courts for years. And to this day I have recieved no more than 2,000 dollars in child support from him in 19 years.
Now that he is in "the fathering program" he has been ordered to pay 50 dollars a month and I recieved 189.74 in the last year. Your report suggested that the "fathering program"
gives these deadbeats a chance to make themselves better so they can be a positive role model in their children's lives, well I haven't seen it nor has my son.
You stated Kevin speaks to his son on a regular basis, well this is only when Mr. Gainey is not drunk or high on methamphetamine.( These are not baseless aligations
I am making, these are the facts) Thank you for perpetuting Kevin's play on the system as a whole.
After your repeated promos and report this evening, I have had calls from people all the way from Nick himself to freinds and family members that lived
through this hell with me and my son. My son is embarrassed and my freinds and family that have helped raise and support Nicholaus his whole life,(Not his father,
Kevin Gainey) are as shocked as I am that the true players in this story were not contacted for their side.
If you would like to report the facts, Me and my son would be happy to tell our story.
The "Fathering program" is just another avenue for these "fathers" to escape their responsibilities!
My current husband was one of the first fathers to enter this program and he got the other end of the deal... he pays child support and NEVER gets to see
his children! I don't see where this program has benifited anyone frankly.
Sincerely~
Wendy Reed
"Disappointed viewer"
Wendy Reed

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

Judged:

In addition~ Kevin and I were never married, he never owned a home in his life and he only had partial custody of his son for 3 years. This story someone leads people to believe that Kevin was in Nick's life his whole life and this is just false reporting.
Yvette

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2009

Judged:

My spouse attending fathering court for 5 years and I'm sorry to say that the only thing fathering court accomplished was making sure they received the child support programs. There was no thought for my spouse and some of these other men that having to appear in court monthly effected their jobs or job searches! Also, no thought was given to constantly increasing the amount of child support payments for the men that are unemployed. Fathering court also wants these fathers to be in their childrens lives but Fathering court doesn't have requirements for the mothers to require them to allow these men to see their children. I agree with the Man that made the comment about buying a new car and having to make car payments but never seeing the car again once it leaves the car lot. Is it right that a man pay child support and not even be able to be in his childrens lives.... only because the mother has animosity or only wants the money because that man is not in her life. There's nothing wrong with sharing the news But, it's better to share it from all aspects.
Yvette

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2009

Judged:

Also, correction on a previous sentence... Fathering court ensure they receive their child support payments not programs. Also, they suspend these men's licenses then expect these men to able to find jobs. They also say they help the men find jobs. They don't. They also don't take into consideration that some of these men are felons and it is harder for them to find jobs. Fathering court needs to make partnerships with businesses in the area that will hire these men.. I'm sure that alot of these men would have no problem paying child support if they had a job. In addition require the mothers to appear in court each time the father appears in court. And to MRS. REED...... How did he get away with missing payments while in fathering court. My husband wasn't allowed too.. I agree with her on the fact that Fox 4 should have tried to get complete details. I also feel they should have interviewed more of the fathers to get their opinions on whether or not fathering court is actually helping their situation.
Disappointed

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

Judged:

I would like to let everyone know that Fox 4 News did not do their homework prior to airing this interview. AT ALL! It is pretty scary to think that we rely on these people daily to inform us (the viewers) of what is happening around us. I will, without a doubt, be changing my choice in news stations from this day forward.
Disappointed 2

Independence, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

Judged:

This program/system is a nice idea. However, that is all it is...a good idea. It is a "should of/could of/would of" game in my opinion for these fathers. I understand people make mistakes, commit crimes, and have trouble getting back on their feet. My question is why is it anyone else's responsibility to assist them in getting back on the right track. They had their chance and apparently failed at it. Now they must suffer and live with the consequences. It seems unfair to have someone hold their hand through it.
In response to Yvette, why should anyone help these fathers find a job? They have two feet to go looking for a job and hopefully know how to use a look through a newspaper for jobs. It stinks that they maybe a felon and are having trouble finding employment...perhaps they should have thought about that before committing a crime. I understand everyone has different circumstances but it is difficult to understand how people can't do right by their children.
Wendy Reed

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

Yvette~ Thats exactly what i was tryin to explain..Mr Gainey has manipulated every program that has come his way. He has done this his whole life! He was ordered to go to rehab because on one of his trips to jail for child support he knew he had nothin more to fall back on, so he finally played that card...NOW he lives at the Welcome house which is a half way house for Alcoholics and Drug addicts, he has been there over a year and has no intention of leaving. He works the desk to pay his rent off and this is the perfect living arrangement for him.. They do not expect him to get a job and move out. So he will play that as long as he can!
My current husband , had his driver license taken several times too and that totally defeats the purpose as far as Im concerned, he was a tow truck driver at one point and lost his job due to this. Also the money it takes to get a lawyer or pay fines to get that license back is more money that can NOT go towards Child support. And my husband dont see his children either, I think they should have a mothering court that requires the mothers to take parenting classes too! So Im on both sides of the argument, but in the long run I do NOT support this program. Frankly, None of it makes sense to me!
Yvette

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

Judged:

@ Disappointed 2:::::First of all the program says that Jackson Fathering Court helps these men find jobs. I am a witness that they don't so it's obvious that what was stated on the news is not totally true. Next, I assume you've never made a mistake in your life and you're not human. People make mistakes and fall on hard times it doesn't mean that they don't love and want to support their children. My spouse utilizes the newspaper, the internet and other options for finding a employment that doesn't always mean that in this ecomony they will get lucky enough to find gainful employment that will allow them to pay their child support timely and also support themselves so that they don't end up reverting to back to being a dad who cannot provide some of the financial support for their children.
Yvette

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

Judged:

@ Mrs. Wendy Reid::::: Thank you.

Also, I have children from a previous marriage and prior relationship. None of my childrens fathers pay child support. Although, none of them live in the state of MO. At the same the time and money wasted by various counties to prosecute these men and help to keep them from finding employment and supporting their children is no help either. My eldest child is 19 and has never been supported by his father.. All of my children have been supported throughout their lives by ME. I made a choice as a woman that if these SPERM DONORS chose not to financially support their children, then OH Well.. The older my childre have gotten (now teens), it is a fact that they've come to realize on their own and their feeling towards their fathers for the lack of are their own feelings and ones that I have forced on them. Not to say that the support wouldn't help.. But, I'm not trying to force any man to do what he won't on his own. And My spouse pays his child support and still does not get to see his children unless the mothers want additional money, or suddenly feel their children have gotten out of hand and they need assistance with discipline.. How is that Right????
Mason Elementary

Blue Springs, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

Sad sad story. Was hoping maybe the guy had changed his life around. The guy had more natural talent than most but obviously could not overcome his problems from his youth. He spent all of his time trying to cheat the system. I'm sorry to hear that he has let his family down. You can only hold out hope that the grown man can get a grip and figure out what is important.

Signed,

Where' s my wallet

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Parenting Discussions

Search the Parenting Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Should Spanking /Paddling be re-introduced in s... 11 hr Cynthia 8
Debbie Rowe Is Furious With The Jackson Family 14 hr Octopus 39
chudai Wed rani 3
Kids will ruin your life (Jun '10) Apr 16 pusherman_ 183
Gay woman wants same-sex marriage for her kids:... Apr 16 Batch 37 Pain Is Good 3
DHHS funding benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters Apr 11 Lil White Gal 3
Parenting in the age of social media Apr 11 humanSpirit 1
•••
•••
•••
•••