Awesome PA Teacher Sharon Wright Fire...

Awesome PA Teacher Sharon Wright Fired For Supporting Gay Son

There are 32 comments on the Queerty story from Jun 27, 2012, titled Awesome PA Teacher Sharon Wright Fired For Supporting Gay Son. In it, Queerty reports that:

It's looking the Mom of the Year award may be going to a Pennsylvania woman named Sharon Wright : When her teenage son came out in 2009, Wright and her husband decided to "support him and love him for who he is." But Wright was a teacher at the conservative Covenant Christian Academy in Harrisburg, where her son attended, and administrators were ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Queerty.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#21 Jun 28, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>This is not a public school, rather it is a sectarian religious school that has the right to set standards compliments of Amendment I. I strongly suspect that the students were made aware that flouting the teachings of the Bible was not permitted even before they enrolled. There is no such thing as teure in a private school unless there is a union contract in place that mandates it. Religious organizations should not be forced to accept anything that runs contrary to the Bible. If this makes it to the Supreme Court, I strongly suspect that the teacher will leave empty handed. If one part of the Constitution, namely religious freedom can be undermined, what's to stop other freedoms from suffering the same fate? That could become a slippery slope. Do you recall Dubya's attempt to limit free speech and the protections against unreasonable search and seizure? There has been a recent assault on the Bill of Rights from all directions.
It may have that right....it may not.....but I seriously doubt it can suspend a child strictly on the fact of his sexual orientation, nor make accusations about the parents abusing their son.......sorry, but she will win!!!
Brian

Houston, TX

#22 Jun 28, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible always describes sex by those of the same sex in negative terms. If you don't like what the Bible says, then find a church that does not follow the Bible.
I don't go to church and I don't believe in the bible, the torah, or the Koran. I tend to think for myself and believe in reality.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#23 Jun 28, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
It may have that right....it may not.....but I seriously doubt it can suspend a child strictly on the fact of his sexual orientation, nor make accusations about the parents abusing their son.......sorry, but she will win!!!
I attended a Christian college and had to sign a covenant that I would not smoke, drink, use intoxicating drugs, engage in anything the Bible considered immoral and a number of other things. The professors had to sign an even stricter covenant. Such covenants are typical of Christian schools and colleges. The student very likely violated the student covenant and the mother as well for not upholding the beliefs of the school and whatever covenant she signed. If she lucks out and gets a liberal judge, she may get a favorable result in court, but if it gets appealed, she will likely be SOL.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#24 Jun 28, 2012
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't go to church and I don't believe in the bible, the torah, or the Koran. I tend to think for myself and believe in reality.
You are certainly entitled to your philosophy.

“WAY TO GO”

IRELAND

#25 Jun 28, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>I attended a Christian college and had to sign a covenant that I would not smoke, drink, use intoxicating drugs, engage in anything the Bible considered immoral and a number of other things. The professors had to sign an even stricter covenant. Such covenants are typical of Christian schools and colleges. The student very likely violated the student covenant and the mother as well for not upholding the beliefs of the school and whatever covenant she signed. If she lucks out and gets a liberal judge, she may get a favorable result in court, but if it gets appealed, she will likely be SOL.
Sorry, I'm going to disagree with you.......except on her winning and winning on appeal as well.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#26 Jun 28, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I'm going to disagree with you.......except on her winning and winning on appeal as well.
You certainly are entitled to your opinion. Have a nice day and I sincerely mean it.

“WAY TO GO”

IRELAND

#27 Jun 28, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>You certainly are entitled to your opinion. Have a nice day and I sincerely mean it.
I just know we have different opinions on this and don't really want to get into a nasty discussion with you about it.....I respect that your opinion is different than mine.

Thanks, you to:-)
Brian

Houston, TX

#28 Jun 29, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>You are certainly entitled to your philosophy.
Yes, I am, as you are, only I use my philosophy for good. Unlike your defensive philosophy, I use mine as a defense to your kinds blantant reluctance to let other Americans live freely under constitutional laws and not some fictious laws from an ancient piece of fiction.
You should move to a theocracy such as Iran if you truly believe you are correct.
Brian

Houston, TX

#29 Jun 29, 2012
"Unlike your defensive philosophy." Should have been OFFENSIVE.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#30 Jul 1, 2012
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I am, as you are, only I use my philosophy for good. Unlike your defensive philosophy, I use mine as a defense to your kinds blantant reluctance to let other Americans live freely under constitutional laws and not some fictious laws from an ancient piece of fiction.
You should move to a theocracy such as Iran if you truly believe you are correct.
Freedom is often a two way street. Fording a religious organization to admit people who are out of step with their doctrinal statement or sympathetic to such people amounts to intrusion on religious freedom. The school is a religious and not secular organization and should not be forced to accomodate beliefs outside of their doctrinal statement.
hsr412

Harrisburg, PA

#31 Jul 1, 2012
As someone who personally knows this family and am PROUD to say that the son is a close friend of mine, I can say that this family is one of the most loving, accepting and caring families I know. They show more of a Christian example than the bigoted "Christians" at that school. Having attended that school myself for many years, I can say that I know firsthand the lack of Godly love that fills those halls and instead the school prides itself on having a holier than though attitude. Whatever outcome happens here, I just hope that at least some awareness is brought to the issue.One of the things that I have found most frustrating about this situation is how the board and the faculty have acted as though they are without sin. From their viewpoint homosexuality is a sin and it irks me how they all have acted as though they themselves are without sin. Going off the logic that they have shown if one sins they should be expelled, no one should be teaching at the school let alone attending it. I understand that this whole situation is a touchy subject but from my understanding the mother was encouraged to take some time off to deal with the changes happening in her life and was told she could return to her position in the near future. However when she went back to work, they refused to give her position back to her. I'm a little confused by how people think she breached her contract. I get that some are saying she was supporting her son which may conflict with the Church doctrine but she is obeying her command to be a good mother and not forsake her child, much like God does for us (unlike what the school did). And in terms of her breaching her contract, then that school needs to abide by these rule for ALL teachers. Meaning if they have not shown in their minds a Christ like example, then they should be terminated from their positions.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#32 Jul 1, 2012
hsr412 wrote:
As someone who personally knows this family and am PROUD to say that the son is a close friend of mine, I can say that this family is one of the most loving, accepting and caring families I know. They show more of a Christian example than the bigoted "Christians" at that school. Having attended that school myself for many years, I can say that I know firsthand the lack of Godly love that fills those halls and instead the school prides itself on having a holier than though attitude. Whatever outcome happens here, I just hope that at least some awareness is brought to the issue.One of the things that I have found most frustrating about this situation is how the board and the faculty have acted as though they are without sin. From their viewpoint homosexuality is a sin and it irks me how they all have acted as though they themselves are without sin. Going off the logic that they have shown if one sins they should be expelled, no one should be teaching at the school let alone attending it. I understand that this whole situation is a touchy subject but from my understanding the mother was encouraged to take some time off to deal with the changes happening in her life and was told she could return to her position in the near future. However when she went back to work, they refused to give her position back to her. I'm a little confused by how people think she breached her contract. I get that some are saying she was supporting her son which may conflict with the Church doctrine but she is obeying her command to be a good mother and not forsake her child, much like God does for us (unlike what the school did). And in terms of her breaching her contract, then that school needs to abide by these rule for ALL teachers. Meaning if they have not shown in their minds a Christ like example, then they should be terminated from their positions.
She needs to choose between being a good mother and being part of a team. Unfortunately she cannot be accepted by the school if she will not live by the moral standards they set.

I once went to a Christian college with very strict rules. To the less compliant students, they were a burden, but to those who were truly dedicated to their faith, they were no problem at all. Some of the strictest faculty and staff members there were also very compassionate in times of difficulty. I remember a widow, Mrs. Tracy, the dean of womem, who was hated by the less conforming female students, but whom I found to be a very compassionate caring woman. As a male student, I didn't have to deal directly with her, but I did have the chance to converse with her and really get to know her and found her to be a very nice lady who just happened to be a strict disciplinarian. The issue of a school seeming to require compassionless adherence to rules is all in the eyes of the beholder.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parenting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Protest planned at Elitch Gardens by breastfeed... (Jun '07) Feb 17 CommonSense 2,889
Son,age33/Myself,a54 yr.old mom ...... Feb 16 Metoo 1
News Father Shoots Laptop Over "Disrespectful" Faceb... (Feb '12) Feb 14 Spotted Girl 240
News Harsh parenting predicts low educational attain... Feb 8 MichaelN 2
Kids will ruin your life (Jun '10) Jan 31 Chidlfree woman 200
News The Duggars are 'trying' for a 20th baby (Oct '13) Jan 30 Kennyvonallen 6
News How to break the 'generational curse' that keep... Jan 23 imanidiot 3
More from around the web