When should girls start wearing makeu...

When should girls start wearing makeup? Dating? Navigating the ...

There are 364 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from May 21, 2007, titled When should girls start wearing makeup? Dating? Navigating the .... In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

A s young as 8 or 9, some little girls will idle up to their mothers with begging, puppy-dog faces.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

“RadicalDudette”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#25 Jun 4, 2007
When I was growing up my parents were strict about make-up and dating.

We had an age set on us as to when we could where make-up and it was about 16.
Dating was the same.

My father was set on us getting an education and a career before we left home. Then he would not be able to help us unless we asked and it was serious.

If I had children now, I doubt I would allow them any freedom. It is extremely
difficult to accept the attitudes of the
kids today and the dress code is even worse.

Last week, Macon County students asked the school board to allow them to teach sex education to the other students rather than the teachers.

The school board has to THINK about it.
DAH!

When a teen ager needs to ask "Where do babies come from?" or "How do you make
babies?" means there is a communication gap.

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#26 Jun 4, 2007
Back Again Again wrote:
I saw this girl the other day that couldn't have been more than 8-9 maybe...
All dolled up with the makeup, looked like Jon Benet Ramsey for gods sake...
Makes me wonder what he parents are thinking ?
She probably is a latch-key child and does not have anyone for a mentor.
Dunnin

Washington, DC

#27 Jun 4, 2007
Jon Bonnet Ramsey was a beautiful child forced to live like an adult. That was very sad. I dont like to see little girls acting like they are grown women, either. Be a child while you can.

And MM, I agree with you. If I had a child today, they would be watched like a hawk. And thats really not fair to them so I think that you and I made the right choice for ourselves.

I personally think that all beauty pageants are insanely stupid and mean nothing. Although a pretty package on the outside gets you noticed, an empty and callous heart will soon get you forgotten.

And when should kids today start dating? About 40, because by then the may have gotten the mentality of an 18 year old.

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#28 Jun 4, 2007
Dunnin wrote:
And when should kids today start dating? About 40, because by then the may have gotten the mentality of an 18 year old.
That is good! I would be supporting spinsters and momma boys! LOL

“Fourth Estate = Fifth Column”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#29 Jun 4, 2007
There's not enough makeup in the world to fix my ugly puss.

When I think of women's makeup, I think of Tammy Faye Bakker of twenty years ago and the tee shirt.

Transplanted

“Be No Tarheelborn”

Albermarle

#30 Jun 4, 2007
retiredlawman wrote:
When I think of women's makeup, I think of Tammy Faye Bakker of twenty years ago and the tee shirt.
Thanks ....I will be up all night now ......we might as well "meet for coffee" LOL

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#31 Jun 4, 2007
retiredlawman wrote:
I used to live in Fort Mill, SC when the Bakker's
decided to move their show to Heritage USA.

And this is how I still remember the show:
http://sbno.illicitohio.com/heritage/otherpic...

http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a2/ac/5a99_1....

Who supplied all that make-up? Crayola?

Location hidden

#32 Jun 4, 2007
ROFL
I believe it actually was Crayola.
Dunnin

Henderson, NC

#33 Jun 4, 2007
I personally think they should throw the blue crayon out of the box. I STILL see people wearing that godawful blue eyeshadow. It makes me shiver. NASTY!!

Asheville

#34 Jun 4, 2007
Well for my daughter it was about the time her friends did. At least by 12 an 13, really wan't a big deal.

Location hidden

#35 Jun 5, 2007
After reading the posts here, Mrs. Retiredlawman set the record straight.

When our daughter was twelve or so, this situation arose. Like any father, war vet, SWAT team leader, and breadwinner of the family, I told her, "Go ask your mother."
Dunnin

United States

#36 Jun 5, 2007
No, retiredlawman, thats called "passing the buck". My Dad pulled that one often.

“Fighting Stupidity ”

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

#37 Jun 5, 2007
MurphyMobile wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to live in Fort Mill, SC when the Bakker's
decided to move their show to Heritage USA.
And this is how I still remember the show:
http://sbno.illicitohio.com/heritage/otherpic...
http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a2/ac/5a99_1....
Who supplied all that make-up? Crayola?
We used to live near Ft. Mill when all that was going on. Heritage USA was kinda neat for a kid, but then all the crap happened and ruined my ideas about certain things.

“Fighting Stupidity ”

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

#38 Jun 5, 2007
I have a little girl who is only three years old. I hope when she gets a little bit older she will not want all of the makeup that I see so many younger girls wearing. I personally was never really attracted to the ones that wore all that crap. I paint my little girl's fingernails sometimes, but i think as she gets older i will not let her do that to her pretty little face.
Gabriella

United States

#39 Jun 5, 2007
My daughter Cindy wanted to start wearing makeup at age 11. I told her to wait until she was 13, at least, to wear a little lip gloss and blush. She got a boyfriend without my knowing at 12, but I think as long as it's an "I like you, you like me" kind of relationship, there really isn't anything wrong with experimentation. I wish Cindy would listen more, and stop trying to grow up so fast, but I was the same way when I was a ten.

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#40 Jun 5, 2007
retiredlawman wrote:
When our daughter was twelve or so, this situation arose. Like any father, war vet, SWAT team leader, and breadwinner of the family, I told her, "Go ask your mother."
OMG, my mother would tell me to go back and ask my
father. On of the silly cirlces.

When I was in elementary and jr. high school my father insisted that our dresses be no more than 2" above the knee. As soon as we got out of their sight, we rolled the skirts up at the waist band. LOL

I never wore make-up because I could not see well enough to put it on. Even with those make up mirrors with the different lighting.

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#41 Jun 5, 2007
Love It Here wrote:
<quoted text>
We used to live near Ft. Mill when all that was going on. Heritage USA was kinda neat for a kid, but then all the crap happened and ruined my ideas about certain things.
When the PTL club was in Charlotte, NC it was just fine by me. But when they moved in on York County, SC, I was sickened.

My ex had family that worked there. He gave me a tour of the place. And I just could not believe anyone could work or believe in that organization.

It really changed when PTL, changed from praise the lord to people that love. Now me, and my fun friends
would just say pass the loot. That is how I saw them
and still do.

Tammy has not changed other than having a web site about her cancer. She has not stopped the make-up.
I do believe she uses a spatula to apply it on.
Hunter

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#43 Jun 5, 2007
Check out msn.com homepage today...they have a whole section dedicated to mens makeup...I only 'wear' aloevera cream...
Good Grief

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#44 Jun 5, 2007
retiredlawman wrote:
What a guy!! LOL

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#45 Jun 5, 2007
Hunter wrote:
Check out msn.com homepage today...they have a whole section dedicated to mens makeup...I only 'wear' aloevera cream...
Only you would state that, Hunter. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parenting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is This Black Parenting Magazine Racist? 1 hr Redefined 4
News Pemberton Twp. teenager dies after being punche... (Nov '09) Jun 14 Stuck here 27
Should I Spank my sons over the Pants, over the... (Apr '14) Jun 13 grettavanhorne 13
News Researchers awarded $2.4M NIH grant to study le... Jun 12 friend 6
News Judge Byrd reprimanded in Wilson County case (Feb '08) Jun 11 Lesson learned 185
News Keep the Feds Out of Your Children's Bathrooms Jun 6 Jimmy 1
News Lennox preschool teacher Maria Cervantes receiv... Jun 3 Nancy Thyme 1
More from around the web