When should girls start wearing makeu...

When should girls start wearing makeup? Dating? Navigating the ...

There are 364 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from May 21, 2007, titled When should girls start wearing makeup? Dating? Navigating the .... In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

A s young as 8 or 9, some little girls will idle up to their mothers with begging, puppy-dog faces.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Acara

Columbus, OH

#375 Jul 9, 2010
I wont let my daughter wear makeup until she starts to drive, as long as she doesnt try to put it on while driving. LOL
haaaa

Charlotte, NC

#376 Aug 25, 2010
My mom is totally against me wearing makeup to school. I can wear it anywhere else except school. I absolutely dread it. But she has some valid points. She said it's not nessacery and I need to find my true self and not hide behing makeup. My mom doesn't wear makeup. But my parents are rather strict so I don't know about other parents. I sometimes try to sneak it to school and stuff. I use it really lightly anyway.

But my parents are still firmly against it no matter how many times I cry over it.
Durrrrrr

Asheville, NC

#377 Aug 25, 2010
I only wear make-up when attending official Republican functions like seeking anonymous gay sex in public restrooms or hooking up from a M4M ad on CL. I try to come across as a tuff guy on here but the real Durrrrr is just a submissive squeaky little homo looking for big hairy lollipops to suck.
Glad I got that off my chest.(besides, it was squishing my wonderbra)
linda

Grimsby, UK

#378 Mar 2, 2011
i think girls should start wearing make up when they are either mature for their age or if they have started secondary school because when they do eventually ask you if they can wear make up they will feel upset.
I did when my mother said i was not allowed to wear make up and i was 14!
my opinon is whenever they ask u think what it would be like in their shoes all their friends wearing make up and being the odd one out thats what happened with me and i looked like a ghost! some girls look better with make up and some look better without i hope this helps.
Violet

Lansing, MI

#379 May 13, 2011
I think girl 9 10 and 11 only should be wearing sport bras or training bras or padded bras to make their breasts get used to be in the bra for the rest of their life and idk about dating tho but make up is a once in a while thing for my girls only for special things like birthdays dances and like that but it they r wearing a shirt that mom and dad can see through and they have no bra on MAKE THEM PUT SOMETHING UNDER IT SO PERVERTED BOYS CANT SEE HER BREASTS!
Violet

Lansing, MI

#380 May 13, 2011
but no age or opinion is right email me on yahoo messager at [email protected] or on facebook i put my name as my daughters but Kristen Olivia Carter contact me ur opinion

Since: May 11

Europe

#381 May 27, 2011
Back to original question - not earlier that 30 I think. All have natural beauty while they are very young. It's not that 30 means old though :-)

“Conservative for America”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#382 May 27, 2011
As the father of a female child, I vote for 35 and no dating until I am 1 year in my grave. :)
Samuel Clemons

Waynesville, NC

#383 May 27, 2011
As a Dad, I say never. As a realist, when you believe they are ready. At that point they will have been doing it behind your back for at least a year.
selena

Grass Valley, CA

#384 Jul 7, 2011
When should girls start wearing makeup?
When they feel they are ready. I'm twelve and I only wear lip gloss. I'm going into 7th grade this fall adn MANY girls are wearing makeup. I think 13-14 should be a good age. I've known this girl since I was 5, and she started wearing makeup in 2nd grade!!! Thats way too young. Anyways, my friends can't wear makeup until 8th grade, and thats probably the same with me. My mom doesn't have an "age". It's just whenever I ask her, basically.

When should girls start dating?
8th grade(13-14 years old) Then you are starting to "grow up", as you're nearing high school. In 5th and 6th grade, kids at my school would "date", it was just for popularity and attention. I think its okay to have a crush. I have one :P Dating isn't anything bad, because I don't get how parents are so uptight about it, sayign they "can't date until they're 14!" I mean , seriuosly! All of our parents have dated, how would they haev gotten married?! If you're responsible and know the limits, then you can date at age 14. Hope that helps!
The Last MsMe

Sherrills Ford, NC

#385 Jul 7, 2011
selena wrote:
When should girls start wearing makeup?
When they feel they are ready. I'm twelve and I only wear lip gloss. I'm going into 7th grade this fall adn MANY girls are wearing makeup. I think 13-14 should be a good age. I've known this girl since I was 5, and she started wearing makeup in 2nd grade!!! Thats way too young. Anyways, my friends can't wear makeup until 8th grade, and thats probably the same with me. My mom doesn't have an "age". It's just whenever I ask her, basically.
When should girls start dating?
8th grade(13-14 years old) Then you are starting to "grow up", as you're nearing high school. In 5th and 6th grade, kids at my school would "date", it was just for popularity and attention. I think its okay to have a crush. I have one :P Dating isn't anything bad, because I don't get how parents are so uptight about it, sayign they "can't date until they're 14!" I mean , seriuosly! All of our parents have dated, how would they haev gotten married?! If you're responsible and know the limits, then you can date at age 14. Hope that helps!
In Candler we are married by the time we are 14 .. you are cutting it way too close.
JLS

United States

#386 Jul 7, 2011
I'd like to see them start wearing make-up around 4, that entire Jon Benet Ramsey deal gave me wood. I sneak down to the fountain in front of the courthouse at night and jerk off in the fountain, then go back the next day and watch the children swim, while fantasizing about being naked with them.

Since: Jul 11

Florence, KY

#387 Jul 8, 2011
Just light makeup maybe 11 or 12 years old is okay with me. I don't understand the restriction I think maybe it's a southern thing to me its just makeup who cares. I think parents need to stop worring about cosmetic crap and worry about cell phones all this sexting crap. Now violet to me that's a lil extreme about the whole bra thing. I couldnt even wear a sports bra i had to where a regular one at 11 but I was early bird to me a bra is a bra. I think 16 is a good age for dating. I wore makeup when I was little for weddings or events. I personally at 21 dont really wear much of it. But to me makeup is just cosmetics I think they're more important things parents should be worrying about than what bloody eyeliner the child is wearing.
Berry

Dallas, TX

#388 Jul 28, 2011
I think 12 is the best age to start wearing makeup and dating because if you dont let them date or wear makeup by then they will do it behind you back and plus,girls wearing makeup or dating before that is just crazy!!!;)
Native

Asheville, NC

#389 Jul 28, 2011
I think 18 would be a good age to start using makeup. What's the matter with you mothers?
PAIGE

UK

#390 Jan 16, 2012
I think you should use make-up when you're 11 or 12. I asked my mom at the age of 11 and a half and she said yes I can. But remember to use only light make-up because you don't want to over do it ;)
yana

United States

#391 May 17, 2012
Honestly when u should start wearing makeup is 10 AND UP!!!! i dont think its neccesary for little girls as young as 6 to be wearin that crap on their face!!!!! but for the people who wanna kno tha agez i think are here: 10 i guess u can start with light blush and lip gloss 12: they can experiment with light colored eyeshadow and mascara 13 and up: i say if u kno how to put everythong on, i guess whatever u want
Lucy
#392 Aug 16, 2012
Fiach wrote:
Just light makeup maybe 11 or 12 years old is okay with me. I don't understand the restriction I think maybe it's a southern thing to me its just makeup who cares. I think parents need to stop worring about cosmetic crap and worry about cell phones all this sexting crap. Now violet to me that's a lil extreme about the whole bra thing. I couldnt even wear a sports bra i had to where a regular one at 11 but I was early bird to me a bra is a bra. I think 16 is a good age for dating. I wore makeup when I was little for weddings or events. I personally at 21 dont really wear much of it. But to me makeup is just cosmetics I think they're more important things parents should be worrying about than what bloody eyeliner the child is wearing.
"a southern thing"? I live in mississippi, and all the girls in middle school are wearing HEAVY makeup at 12. The thing that DOESNT actually happen is "sexting". I mean someone made an instagram account dedicated to hating me, but.. That's not sexting.
1D lover

United States

#393 Dec 13, 2012
I know I a friend that wears makeup and so looks CUTE so I wear it to and boys love me SUCK IT boys love it
OMG

United States

#394 Dec 14, 2012
JLS wrote:
I'd like to see them start wearing make-up around 4, that entire Jon Benet Ramsey deal gave me wood. I sneak down to the fountain in front of the courthouse at night and jerk off in the fountain, then go back the next day and watch the children swim, while fantasizing about being naked with them.
I about choked when I read this one!

I guess what everyone says is right about him!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parenting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pemberton Twp. teenager dies after being punche... (Nov '09) Jun 14 Stuck here 27
Should I Spank my sons over the Pants, over the... (Apr '14) Jun 13 grettavanhorne 13
News Researchers awarded $2.4M NIH grant to study le... Jun 12 friend 6
News Judge Byrd reprimanded in Wilson County case (Feb '08) Jun 11 Lesson learned 185
News Keep the Feds Out of Your Children's Bathrooms Jun 6 Jimmy 1
News Lennox preschool teacher Maria Cervantes receiv... Jun 3 Nancy Thyme 1
News Florida Baptist Children's Home Offers Foster C... Jun 2 LillianJacks 2
More from around the web