Activist, sex writer Dan Savage lets ...

Activist, sex writer Dan Savage lets loose in new book on conservatives, cheating, his mom

There are 6 comments on the Brandon Sun story from May 28, 2013, titled Activist, sex writer Dan Savage lets loose in new book on conservatives, cheating, his mom. In it, Brandon Sun reports that:

It's been quite a run for Dan Savage, what with all the podcasting and tweeting and in-your-face defending of marriage equality.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brandon Sun.

Chance

Grove City, PA

#1 May 28, 2013
Very interesting, Dan Savage, that part about parents becoming more conservative when they think about their own kids getting involved in sex and (perhaps) marriage. What I've been saying all along. I'd love to see a break down amongst supporters of "gay marriage." How many have kids, and how many don't. I personally think the support for "gay marriage" among straight people is growing because fewer people are having kids. Having kids puts a whole different slant on things.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#2 May 28, 2013
Chance wrote:
Very interesting, Dan Savage, that part about parents becoming more conservative when they think about their own kids getting involved in sex and (perhaps) marriage. What I've been saying all along. I'd love to see a break down amongst supporters of "gay marriage." How many have kids, and how many don't. I personally think the support for "gay marriage" among straight people is growing because fewer people are having kids. Having kids puts a whole different slant on things.
Or perhaps some of these parents' children are growing up and coming out, and their parents are learning to accept their gay kids and support their desire to obtain a civil marriage.

My rather conservative Catholic father was just that kind of parent.

I thought a great deal about him in the last several days. Memorial Day brought to mind his service in the Air Force in Korea (he passed a few years ago). I'll never forget what he said to me when I came out to him: "I'm from a different generation, so I may not understand it, but you're my son, and I'll always support you." And he did, as he did my partner.

Indeed, having a gay son put a whole different slant on things for him.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3 May 28, 2013
Chance wrote:
Only if you're stupid.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#4 May 28, 2013
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
Or perhaps some of these parents' children are growing up and coming out, and their parents are learning to accept their gay kids and support their desire to obtain a civil marriage.
My rather conservative Catholic father was just that kind of parent.
I thought a great deal about him in the last several days. Memorial Day brought to mind his service in the Air Force in Korea (he passed a few years ago). I'll never forget what he said to me when I came out to him: "I'm from a different generation, so I may not understand it, but you're my son, and I'll always support you." And he did, as he did my partner.
Indeed, having a gay son put a whole different slant on things for him.
That was what he had to do, a real testimony of the love of a father for a son. I think it is rather different for parents who are not forced into that position. I also suspect that it will emerge as time goes on that a lot of kids will experiment with same-gender sex, really blurring the lines between gay and straight. At that point, I think you'll see a lot of parents trying to help their kids make a healthy decision. Those who have supported "gay marriage" may really regret that because it gives kids the option.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#5 May 28, 2013
Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
That was what he had to do, a real testimony of the love of a father for a son. I think it is rather different for parents who are not forced into that position. I also suspect that it will emerge as time goes on that a lot of kids will experiment with same-gender sex, really blurring the lines between gay and straight. At that point, I think you'll see a lot of parents trying to help their kids make a healthy decision. Those who have supported "gay marriage" may really regret that because it gives kids the option.
I didn't "decide" to become gay. I decided to come out and be honest with my parents about who their son really was.

But you're wrong about my dad. He didn't "have to do" what he did. I didn't "force him into a position." I was honest with him about the reality of who I was. He could have been an obstinate SOB about it, like I suppose you would be if you had a child come out to you. But he was a far better man than you appear to be.

He didn't have to be accepting or tolerant. He chose to be.

Being gay isn't a matter of deciding on available "options." One doesn't "choose" one's sexual orientation anymore than one chooses to be left or right handed, or blue or brown eyed.

But dealing with it is all about choices. It's about acknowledging reality and junking tired old superstitions and unsupportable myths.

Or conversely, perhaps sadly, holding fast to those old superstitions and unsupportable myths and further marginalizing oneself and alienating others.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#6 May 29, 2013
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't "decide" to become gay. I decided to come out and be honest with my parents about who their son really was.
But you're wrong about my dad. He didn't "have to do" what he did. I didn't "force him into a position." I was honest with him about the reality of who I was. He could have been an obstinate SOB about it, like I suppose you would be if you had a child come out to you. But he was a far better man than you appear to be.
He didn't have to be accepting or tolerant. He chose to be.
Being gay isn't a matter of deciding on available "options." One doesn't "choose" one's sexual orientation anymore than one chooses to be left or right handed, or blue or brown eyed.
But dealing with it is all about choices. It's about acknowledging reality and junking tired old superstitions and unsupportable myths.
Or conversely, perhaps sadly, holding fast to those old superstitions and unsupportable myths and further marginalizing oneself and alienating others.
I came out to my family and friends at age 15. Today that would not be a surprising move, but this was in 1959. Hardly an enlightened age of America where discussions of sexuality are concerned. My mother accepted it in her usual manner of loving her children, and supporting them. My father, although he was not antagonistic, mulled it over for about a week, and probably discussed it with my mother, and maybe a couple of friends, and for sure our minister. But after that week he took me outside and we sat on the front stoop. He told me, like yours, that he did not understand it, but I was his son, and he loved me. He just admonished me to be careful who I talked to about this, for it was a dangerous world for us then. Some years later I introduced my spouse to them. They accepted him with open arms. That was 1973. My father died some years after that. My spouse and I are still together. I am sure that your love of your father equals my love for mine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parenting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Read one gay dad's scathing letter to anti-LGBT... 8 min Belle Sexton 12
News Aboriginal kids in care: 4 approaches to improv... 22 min leticia 11
News Fisher-Price's new campaign is making a positiv... 7 hr leticia 16
News How Autistic People Helped Shape the Modern World 7 hr friend 12
News Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner are divorcing 15 hr Kevn 1
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 17 hr thetruth 21
News Sex in the family bed: Does it happen? (Jul '11) Aug 26 Jennie 11
More from around the web