Child Abuse

Neither, I don't spank at all

Don't spank, see it as abuse

Don't spank, see as discipline

“Life is good when you're hated”

Since: May 08

Dallas, TX

#1 May 7, 2008
So what you guys think? I was spanked as a child. I am 20 now however, there are people my age or couple years younger never got spanked, most never got punished at all. Is spanking now one of them "Back in the good ole' days..." situations? Keep in mind I am talking about spanking younger kids from toddlers to about 10 or so (Is 10 too old to be given spankings?) Not preteens/teens.
Spanking Pros and Cons

Fairmont, WV

#2 Jun 24, 2011
It has been my observation that today’s parents who employ spanking as a parenting tool, don’t know the proper way. They do it with impulse and anger, they regret it and let the child have his or her way. That doesn’t work.

First a parent needs to know that their child is normal physically and mentally. Don’t even consider spanking as a parenting tool for a child who is challenged or autistic.

I was young once and received many spankings. I was whipped hard, but I never was beat or abused. I never got hit in the head. I didn’t soon forget what I had done wrong or how not to repeat it. I love my parents for taking the time to properly correct me when I was wrong. I was furious with them immediately after the spanking, but I knew as I know today, it was done out of love because they cared for me.

Spanking didn’t make me aggressive. In fact I get aggravated yet today, in my 69th year, at how easily influenced I am. Sometimes, I’d like to have some aggressiveness.

The key is PROPER. So many parents today do not seem to understand there is a right and proper routine for spanking and a wrong way.

Parents do not have the “right” to spank. Parents have an “obligation” to spank if the child is normal and healthy.
When one lady was asked why she spanked her children, she said,“I do it so the rest of the world doesn’t have to.”
In my opinion, this is “right on!”

No child of any age should be struck on the head…Never! In my opinion, the child face down across the parents lap, slapped on the butt with the hand is sufficient. No need for belts, paddles, etc.

Spanking should never be for the reasons of anger, revenge, or sexual release. It is for the child alone and only when they have earned it. If the child hasn’t earned it, don’t even give it a thought. All spanking should be accompanied by a little discussion before, very little during, and a lot after the spanking. As for age difference, before age four, a discussion reinforced with a slap on the butt should be enough. Ages four to sixteen, depending on the offense, a full spanking routine should be considered. After age ten, consider never spanking again, but continue the verbal discussions. Suggest to your children that they learn this method and pass it along to their children.

If you take the time to learn and care about your children, give them the proper discipline, then maybe they won’t ever land in prison.
Ms Williams

United States

#3 Jun 28, 2011
while i DO agree with what youre sayin', I think some kids & teenagers (especially boys) need their pants down for a good spanking across the bare Tush !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parenting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fewer Women Are Having Babies Than Ever Before Mon Actual Science 6
Kids will ruin your life (Jun '10) Sun annals 198
Should I Spank my sons over the Pants, over the... (Apr '14) Aug 24 Nick 16
News Irish gay marriage referendum campaigner warns ... Aug 23 Fa-Foxy 8
News Judge Byrd reprimanded in Wilson County case (Feb '08) Aug 17 Pepper 188
News Barack Obama's daughter Malia filmed smoking we... Aug 13 Serratus Anterior 1
News Making GOP history, Trump vows to protect LGBTQ... Aug 7 GCT 12
More from around the web