Lose the lice, but first lose the myths

Talk about a head scratcher. Your child comes home with head lice and instantly your own scalp starts crawling with guilt and fear. Full Story
Ewwww

Palatine, IL

#1 Feb 15, 2009
Hate to admit it, but when my girls got lice, it was easier to get rid of the head lice than to get rid of the fleas my dog got from the dog next door.
Lice Expert

Bolingbrook, IL

#2 Feb 15, 2009
Having gone through this a few times, I have to say that using safe natural remedies like tea tree oil and peppermint oil in combo with lots of combing is the best way to rid yourself of the bug. Even if you miss one nit, your're doomed with the next round of bugs. You got to get to the source--the nit itself, which feeds off of your kid's head--or you'll be sorry.
Nelson

Ballwin, MO

#3 Feb 15, 2009
I was thrilled to make it through school without ever getting lice. I have this idiotic fear of bugs, and just the idea of them on me....blech.

When one of my friends would get them I'd have a panic attack, even after my parents combed my head (and didn't find any) the nurse did so (and didn't find any) and I basically would freak out constantly until I had that shampoo used on me and washed all my blankets sheets pillows and animals, along with spraying bug spray on my mattress...
It's sort of a smack in the face by the pimphand of reality to realize that I panicked over nothing. I'm going to go apologize to my parents for putting them through all that.
Mark Winshel

Pleasant Hill, CA

#4 Feb 15, 2009
This is a lousy story and article from top to bottom, through and through, and in every imaginable way.
BKJL

Mount Prospect, IL

#5 Feb 16, 2009
The medical journal Pediatrics reported a few years back that you can also have good results with Cetaphil lotion, which appears to suffocate the little buggers. Also, I've heard that hot air (as from a hot hair dryer) kills them, and they can't become resistant as they have to insecticides. Either of these would be a less toxic method to try.
Scott

Pleasanton, CA

#7 Dec 11, 2012
I tell you we were "THIS CLOSE" to shaving off my daughter's hair when she got the lice too, since we were having such a terrible and hard time getting rid of them. They were Ridiculously hard to kill. We tried the cetaphil too BKJL, but no luck on that...but i read a lot of great things on that before online too...too bad it just didnt work for us. www.licetokill.com is what worked finally..so you may want to try them too. But remember, you should also tell your kids to avoid sharing stuff like hats/combs with their buddies...and coats too, thats really how they spread. they like to brush each others hair and braid them, etc...so tell them to not share..i know hard to do right. good luck! YOU CAN get rid of them...they can be beaten!! Good luck. scott

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parenting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge Byrd reprimanded in Wilson County case (Feb '08) 1 hr Goldfinger 148
Sex Is Not A Sin: Erotic Art Exhibition (Oct '13) Sep 28 hal 3
Study of single parents' dating, sexual activit... Sep 24 elena23 1
Parents welcome son's diagnosis Sep 23 GrahamB 1
'He was like Jekyll and Hyde but drug means he'... Sep 22 GARDASIL MAIMS KILLS 2
How To Make The Most Of Your 10 Minutes With Te... Sep 20 BlumpyJones 2
Spanking Is Great for Sex Sep 20 Anonymous 3

Parenting People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE