Parents happier than childless couple...

Parents happier than childless couples: study

There are 6 comments on the Canada.com story from May 18, 2012, titled Parents happier than childless couples: study. In it, Canada.com reports that:

Sure there are the late-night feedings, the early-morning hockey practices, and all kinds of stress - but new research suggests that parents are still happier than childless couples.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Canada.com.

SilverSwanBabies

Clearwater, FL

#1 May 21, 2012
Parenting is a choice. Some parents are childless because they do not want to raise children. They are happy with their choice.
Ocean56

AOL

#2 May 21, 2012
SilverSwanBabies wrote:
Parenting is a choice. Some parents are childless because they do not want to raise children. They are happy with their choice.
You did mean "some PEOPLE are childless...," didn't you? Someone who is childless obviously isn't a parent.

In any case, this "study" is misleading at best and dishonest at worst, for one simple reason. It didn't separate people who were childless by CIRCUMSTANCE (ie they wanted children but for some reason couldn't have them) from people who were childFREE by choice.

ChildFREE people have reported they are definitely happier than parents, simply because they DON'T have the stresses that parents have to deal with every day. They CHOSE not to deal with them by NOT becoming parents.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#3 Jun 11, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
You did mean "some PEOPLE are childless...," didn't you? Someone who is childless obviously isn't a parent.
In any case, this "study" is misleading at best and dishonest at worst, for one simple reason. It didn't separate people who were childless by CIRCUMSTANCE (ie they wanted children but for some reason couldn't have them) from people who were childFREE by choice.
ChildFREE people have reported they are definitely happier than parents, simply because they DON'T have the stresses that parents have to deal with every day. They CHOSE not to deal with them by NOT becoming parents.
. I was thinking the same thing.
Ocean56

AOL

#4 Jun 12, 2012
Camille Pegram wrote:
I was thinking the same thing.
Yep. I've seen similar "studies" that claim that "parents are happier than childless couples." So far, I haven't seen any that make the separation between childLESS couples and childFREE ones.
To me, it's the same kind of nonsense that says nonsense like "two children makes up a family, just one child does not."

IMO none of these so-called "studies" are worth believing. When it comes to the decision to be parents or not, each individual has to do what works best for him or her. Some folks choose to be parents, others choose NOT to. Either way, it is THEIR decision, and none of anyone else's business.
Ocean56

AOL

#5 Jun 12, 2012
Camille Pegram wrote:
I was thinking the same thing.
I'm sure there's some kind of "study" that claims it's better to have two children or more to make up a family rather than stopping at just one child. It's pure idiocy.

I very much enjoy being what I call a "done after one" mom because I had the number that works best for ME (and DS too), rather than whatever "society" thinks is "best."
maxkors

Miami, FL

#7 May 20, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I find it a no brainer that childless couples are usually happier than ppl who have kids. IN this study the seem to be stretching it a bit. They ask ppl whether they feel happier doing kid things as opposed to doing other chores. This is like so many studies that make correlations that don't really apply in the the big picture. Like not being able to see the forrest through the trees. I have many friends who really wanted kids and like kids who are really not too pleased with the situation. And their kids are good kids. Not little monsters like they could have had.I desperately don't want kids but sometimes I feel like I'm gonna have to either give in or do without a girl. So frustrating.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parenting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Excited by Trump, gay Republicans struggle with... 26 min Fa-Foxy 118
News Making GOP history, Trump vows to protect LGBTQ... Jul 22 Christsharian Law 6
News Navajo Healthy Marriage project offers free edu... (Oct '08) Jul 22 avery 35
News Man charged in Fitchburg woman's slaying; as fr... (Jul '10) Jul 22 Fat Stevie 41
News Speaker to World Congress of Families: Don't la... (Oct '15) Jul 19 Bush Romney Boycott 26
News Is This Black Parenting Magazine Racist? Jul 13 MadamX 10
News New program looks to ease divorce pain (Jan '09) Jul 12 Susie Q 88
More from around the web