Why I'm still a Catholic

Why I'm still a Catholic

There are 144 comments on the Salon story from Oct 1, 2013, titled Why I'm still a Catholic. In it, Salon reports that:

From the other room, I hear my eldest daughter ask her father the question. Again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salon.

Dan

Atlanta, GA

#122 Oct 30, 2013
JohnnyTrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
I think your forgetting one thing the Bible is the word of God not the word of the catholic church!!!
2 Timothy 3:16
Expanded Bible (EXB)
16 All Scripture is ·inspired by God [breathed out by God; L&#8239;God-breathed] and is useful for teaching..
How can I "forget" something I never said?

Which group of men, guided by the Holy Spirit, compiled the Bible?
SHYKORA PAUL arts

Calgary, Canada

#123 Nov 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
...most interesting,here...
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#124 Dec 1, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don`t know if these men called themselves Catholics or the Catholic Church calls the catholics.
Catholic Girl

United States

#125 Oct 30, 2014
Because
kent

Hudson, OH

#126 Nov 1, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholic girl says.....It's up to you to pick your religion.
Michael says......The vast majority of people of faith are indoctrinated into the same faith as their parents who want their children to become just like them. Very few catholics join other religions simply because their families would SHUN them.
Very sad, when someones personal belief is not determined by themeselves.
I was Raised by Atheist parents. I am now a Church going, bible believing, Catholic. My belief was not "determined by myself" but by the Hound of Heaven, Jesus Christ. He left the 99 who were saved to find me who was lost, without hope and without meaning, in Atheism. Praise the Holy name of Jesus Christ!
kent

Hudson, OH

#127 Nov 1, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be the Catholic Church that compiled the bible at the Council of Hippo in 392 A.D. and at the council of Carthage in 397 A.D. Previously the truly God inspired books were mixed in with some 100 FALSE Gospels and Epistles, such as the gospel of Thomas. After praying to the Holy Spirit for guidance the Church compared the writings with each other knowing that the true scriptures could not contradict each other. And there were years of study, debate and prayer, finally determining that there were 73 God inspired books in the bible. These 73 books remained in the closed Canon of scriptures for 16 CENTURIES.. until the Reformers took away 7 books at around 1532 A.D. Luther also wanted to take away James, Jude, and Revelation. The other Reformers, to their credit, would not allow it.- "I warn everyone who hears the prophetic words in this book; if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues in this book, and if anyone takes away from prophetic words in this book, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city described in this book." - Rev.22:18,19
Truth Teller

Rome, NY

#128 Nov 1, 2014
Didn't the pope just basically throw the entire Catholic Church under the bus by saying the big bang is real?
kent

Hudson, OH

#129 Nov 2, 2014
Truth Teller wrote:
Didn't the pope just basically throw the entire Catholic Church under the bus by saying the big bang is real?
Not at all! The Catholic Church is agreeing with science. Or rather science is finally catching up with the Church. For a long time science rejected that the universe had a beginning. It Believed the Steady State Theory. As Carl Sagan used to love to say. "What was.. always has been.. and always will be." Then science discovered that the universe is expanding outward from a center. Tracing that backwards you must arrive at a point in time and space where the universe began. One fraction of a nano second there was nothing.. then BANG there was everything being driven outwards in an explosion of light and matter!- "Let there be light.. the waters.. the firmament.." Einstein said his former belief in the Steady State Theory, taught by science.. "was the worst mistake I ever made." Then he grudgingly admitted that if there was a beginning then there had to be a.. Beginner!- Science had been wrong. Genesis had been right all along!
Truth Teller

Rome, NY

#130 Nov 2, 2014
Smh. You godbots are delusional....
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#131 Nov 21, 2014
JohnnyTrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
I don`t know if these men called themselves Catholics or the Catholic Church calls the catholics.
if you never said it did you ever know it?
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#132 Nov 21, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
thats right they were a groupe of men which the Church calls the catholic while the truth being theey were christians

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#133 Nov 22, 2014
Catholic Girl wrote:
Johnny, totally out there. Perhaps you should attend a Catholic Mass and visit the parishes to attend the ministries, some are for bible study. If the bible was taught at Mass, no one would show up. Mass is so we can praise the Lord and receive the Euchrist.
yes, catholics also like to enjoy the pleasantries that God created for us, it's called making love. something the JW are not allowed only if starting a family. no wonder you can state only 144,000 seats in heaven. crazy statement, never heard that one before.is this true about the JW and making love?
----------

Here is an experience I had with a couple of JW's

Hit and Caught Before Running

Last week I met in the street with a couple from the Christian faction of "Jehovah's Witnesses" who, after giving me a pamphlet from the Watch Tower, the following dialogue took place:

"J'W" - Do you know that the Jewish Divine election has been replaced by the "Jehovah's Witnesses."

Jew - I don't think so but, where is it written?

"J'W" - Isaiah 43:10.

Jew - Take the zero off and read Isaiah 43:1 and see who are the real Jehovah's Witnesses. The whole chapter is about Israel.

"J'W" - Better yet hear what John 3:16 says about Jesus: "Jehovah so loved the world as to give His only begotten son that whoever believes in him is saved." Notice that he said, "Only begotten son" which means that there is no other.

Jew - How about Exodus 4:22,23? Jehovah Himself said that, "Israel is My son; let My son go that he may serve Me."

"J'W" - Alas, that's Israel the people who has been replaced by us. But listen, although we have replaced you, Jews are very important to us. Here is our address; would you come to visit us at 1pm today?

Jew - Sorry but we are not supposed to be found within a non-Jewish house of worship.

"J'W" - What's the matter, are you afraid?

Jew - No it is not fear but a matter of Jewish culture.

"J'W" - Where is it written that you are not supposed to enter a non-Jewish house of worship ?

Jew - Naaman was the commander of the king of Aram and he was a leper. He had a Jewess servant who suggested to him to seek cure from Prophet Elisha in Israel. He came to Elisha and was told to immerse himself 7 times in the Jordan River, he did as he was bid and got cured. He converted to Judaism and asked Elisha to plead God to forgive him every time he had to help his master the king to enter the temple of Rimmon to worship. It is from this event that Jews acquired the custom not to enter a non-Jewish house of worship. That's in II Kings 5:1-18.

Conclusion - That was the end of the dialogue as they would neither speak nor remove their eyes from me. I had to say good bye and leave the area.
Catholic Girl

United States

#134 Nov 24, 2014
"Beautiful day the Link rd has made, let us rejoice n be glad....".
Hope everyone is having a wonderful day.
Paul Shykora Arts

Calgary, Canada

#135 Nov 24, 2014
Catholic Girl wrote:
"Beautiful day the Link rd has made, let us rejoice n be glad....".
Hope everyone is having a wonderful day.
....... you's are a vondrful person....eh....
Catholic Girl

United States

#136 Nov 25, 2014
Paul Shykora Arts wrote:
<quoted text>....... you's are a vondrful person....eh....
Hi Pail, hope all well with you. Still looking for your name on puzzels. Hope your art work is still profitable.
Catholic Girl

United States

#137 Nov 25, 2014
Ben_Masada wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
Here is an experience I had with a couple of JW's
Hit and Caught Before Running
Last week I met in the street with a couple from the Christian faction of "Jehovah's Witnesses" who, after giving me a pamphlet from the Watch Tower, the following dialogue took place:
"J'W" - Do you know that the Jewish Divine election has been replaced by the "Jehovah's Witnesses."
Jew - I don't think so but, where is it written?
"J'W" - Isaiah 43:10.
Jew - Take the zero off and read Isaiah 43:1 and see who are the real Jehovah's Witnesses. The whole chapter is about Israel.
"J'W" - Better yet hear what John 3:16 says about Jesus: "Jehovah so loved the world as to give His only begotten son that whoever believes in him is saved." Notice that he said, "Only begotten son" which means that there is no other.
Jew - How about Exodus 4:22,23? Jehovah Himself said that, "Israel is My son; let My son go that he may serve Me."
"J'W" - Alas, that's Israel the people who has been replaced by us. But listen, although we have replaced you, Jews are very important to us. Here is our address; would you come to visit us at 1pm today?
Jew - Sorry but we are not supposed to be found within a non-Jewish house of worship.
"J'W" - What's the matter, are you afraid?
Jew - No it is not fear but a matter of Jewish culture.
"J'W" - Where is it written that you are not supposed to enter a non-Jewish house of worship ?
Jew - Naaman was the commander of the king of Aram and he was a leper. He had a Jewess servant who suggested to him to seek cure from Prophet Elisha in Israel. He came to Elisha and was told to immerse himself 7 times in the Jordan River, he did as he was bid and got cured. He converted to Judaism and asked Elisha to plead God to forgive him every time he had to help his master the king to enter the temple of Rimmon to worship. It is from this event that Jews acquired the custom not to enter a non-Jewish house of worship. That's in II Kings 5:1-18.
Conclusion - That was the end of the dialogue as they would neither speak nor remove their eyes from me. I had to say good bye and leave the area.
Hi Ben, quite the story. Thanks for sharing.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#138 Dec 18, 2014
Catholic Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Ben, quite the story. Thanks for sharing.
----------
Well, Catholic Girl, not really a story but a real dialogue in the street.
Catholic Girl

United States

#139 Dec 19, 2014
Ben_Masada wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
Well, Catholic Girl, not really a story but a real dialogue in the street.
Yes, actual conversation.
Wonderful of u to be able to pick out the errors of their speel. So they must know the bible but pick n choose what they want to believe n things that they want to believe they seem to change paragraph number n change wording to suite their belief.
Beware of false prophets...
truth

Perth, Australia

#140 Dec 19, 2014
you believe in t;ra;verca
c=s
traverca=apron
see verse answer
see
when you pray rosary you find out
transfiguration
truth

Perth, Australia

#141 Dec 19, 2014
What a about tunic?
Which priest have tunic?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parenting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Viral video shows stereotypes about Asian women... Mar 16 pride66 3
News Baltimore author behind 'Scary Mommy' parenting... Mar 14 noobieR 1
News Jenelle Evans Fires Back at Fans Over Negligent... Mar 13 ugh 1
Should I Spank my sons over the Pants, over the... (Apr '14) Mar 9 Chris 18
News A Proven Solution to Prevent Infant Abuse and S... (Apr '09) Mar 6 Lauren 2
News Man ordered to pay $62,000 child support (Sep '11) Mar 4 Birdie 3
News Kids Who Exhibit Self-Control May Have a Lower ... (Aug '12) Mar 3 Bum Massage Inside 3
More from around the web