Why I'm still a Catholic

Why I'm still a Catholic

There are 144 comments on the Salon story from Oct 1, 2013, titled Why I'm still a Catholic. In it, Salon reports that:

From the other room, I hear my eldest daughter ask her father the question. Again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salon.

Ocean56

AOL

#41 Oct 9, 2013
LIBER-THINKER wrote:
1. Dont confuse true happiness with that temporary feeling we associate with happiness. You seem hell bent on living that utilitarianism life so go ahead, let the experience speak for itself.
2. Just stop hating on the CC because youve had issues in the past because theres a reason its lasted 2000 years.
1. "True happiness" is a term that can mean different things to different people. For ME, true happiness is a great feeling I have, which comes from the freedom of being able to make my OWN life choices without some nosy Catholic Church cleric telling me I'm committing a so-called "sin" for making those choices.

2. If you're telling me to stop expressing more verbal criticism of the Catholic Church, forget about it. I'll criticize that toxic institution all I want. Whether or not YOU approve of my doing so is irrelevant.

Secularism = FREEDOM. No dogmas required.
Ocean56

AOL

#42 Oct 9, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
As for those who stop being a practicing catholic, they may return someday. But I bet their heart is still with Jesus, they may be lazy or just not with it for now.
Dream on, honey. I have NO intention of trading in the pleasures of secularist FREEDOM for the miseries of Catholic slavery.

As for your "bet," you lose on that one too. I'm enjoying all the benefits of being CF (Catholicism-FREE), as I have been for the last 25+ years. By the way, there's nothing "lazy" about enjoying the freedom to make my own life decisions without some nosy church cleric telling me I'm committing some kind of "sin" for doing so.

But hey, you're free to believe whatever fantasy you want, even one that in my case will remain just that.

Secularism = FREEDOM. No dogmas required.
Catholic Girl

United States

#43 Oct 9, 2013
ok Ocean56... stay happy and be good.
Catholic Girl

United States

#44 Oct 9, 2013
Hey Paul (SHYKORA paul arts) nice to read of you once again. have you done anything with puzzles of your art work yet? I look for them in craft stores, AC moore, in my area. hOPE ALL well for you. Do you know if Sherlyne is still around? She was nice person.
Sherlayne

Sparta, NJ

#45 Oct 9, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
Hey Paul (SHYKORA paul arts) nice to read of you once again. have you done anything with puzzles of your art work yet? I look for them in craft stores, AC moore, in my area. hOPE ALL well for you. Do you know if Sherlyne is still around? She was nice person.
Hi Catholic Girl! I was just thinking the same about you - like where have you been? By the way, Paul hates me, LOL. Sorry, but he's the wrong one to ask about me. Does he really do that craft stuff? I ask because I've found it hard to believe a lot of what he says.

I'm doing fairly well by the way and I hope you are too!
Legion Dagua

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

#46 Oct 10, 2013
Very simple,very poor,easy to heaven.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#47 Oct 10, 2013
You are still a Catholic because habit is stronger than hatred.
Catholic Girl

United States

#48 Oct 10, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Catholic Girl! I was just thinking the same about you - like where have you been? By the way, Paul hates me, LOL. Sorry, but he's the wrong one to ask about me. Does he really do that craft stuff? I ask because I've found it hard to believe a lot of what he says.
I'm doing fairly well by the way and I hope you are too!
So glad to hear from you and that things are going fairly well. Had hip replaced in Feb, 2013. Doing well myself, no more pain. I had prayed to be able to walk like everyone else I see and you know what. I am! I don't think Paul hates you, he seems to be a man of few words. Would like to see some of his art work. Looked around once before on line but wasn't able to find. I suggested he turn some of his works into puzzels.
Eager to hear how grandson and hubby doing.
Happy to have found you once again.
shykora PAUL ARTs

Calgary, Canada

#49 Oct 10, 2013
...thankyou's...I's selling me ART WORKS ..ONE ON ONE ..FACE TO FACE...$$$...SUCCESSFULNESS... GOOD..Okay....evolving...GOD bLESS...eh...yada u u..(+)..shalom
shykora PAUL ARTs

Calgary, Canada

#50 Oct 10, 2013
...and..MERRY CHRISTMAS is me peak art sales period..Sold out in the last 5 years...eh..sigh..the local Nuns ..''love'' me...sigh
Sherlayne

Sparta, NJ

#51 Oct 12, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
So glad to hear from you and that things are going fairly well. Had hip replaced in Feb, 2013. Doing well myself, no more pain. I had prayed to be able to walk like everyone else I see and you know what. I am! I don't think Paul hates you, he seems to be a man of few words. Would like to see some of his art work. Looked around once before on line but wasn't able to find. I suggested he turn some of his works into puzzels.
Eager to hear how grandson and hubby doing.
Happy to have found you once again.
Catholic Girl, No more pain? That's wonderful! I'm surprised though because I was assuming you were only about 20 years old or so. I'm very glad you came back. So Paul's artwork is good? That's nice to hear. I never knew if he were serious about it or not. Hope to see you soon :)
SHYKORA Paul arts

Calgary, Canada

#52 Oct 13, 2013
..HAPPY Canadian ..thanksgiving...eh
Catholic Girl

United States

#53 Oct 14, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholic Girl, No more pain? That's wonderful! I'm surprised though because I was assuming you were only about 20 years old or so. I'm very glad you came back. So Paul's artwork is good? That's nice to hear. I never knew if he were serious about it or not. Hope to see you soon :)
No pain, stiff if sit long time but can handle that. Don't think I could handle being in 20's again. It's been a long and fun road traveled over the yrs. I turned 60 this yr.,yikes! Looking at retirement in 18 months. Difficult to believe I've made it this long in life.
Never seen Paul's artwork but must be good, people buy it, even famous ones. I'm sure he's true, what reason not to be?
I can't remember the email address I set up to corresponde with you, will have to set up another so we can touch base again.
Catholic Girl

United States

#54 Oct 14, 2013
SHYKORA Paul arts wrote:
..HAPPY Canadian ..thanksgiving...eh
Just wondering if the Canadians celebrate this holiday with a big dinner? US celebrates with big turkey dinner.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#55 Oct 14, 2013
If a person has been raised and indoctrinted in Catholicism, from childhood he/she cannot claim to have chosen his/her beliefs freely unless he/she has "seriously" questioned the validity of those beliefs. Converts can claim to have exercised "free will" to a degree because they have made a personal choice between at least two different possibilities. Catholics have traditionally been taught not to exercise "free will" in relation to their beliefs.

"By the Magisterium we mean the teaching office of the Church....A 'theologian' who would claim he needs to be able to ignore the Magisterium in order to find the truth is strangely perverse: the teaching of the Magisterium is the prime, God-given means of finding the truth. Nor could he claim academic freedom lets him contradict the Church. ...Now in Catholic theology, the correct method is to study the sources of revelation, but then give the final word to the Church." - Fr. William G. Most, EWTN (Taken from The Basic Catholic Catechism)
Catholic Girl

United States

#56 Oct 14, 2013
Big Al wrote:
If a person has been raised and indoctrinted in Catholicism, from childhood he/she cannot claim to have chosen his/her beliefs freely unless he/she has "seriously" questioned the validity of those beliefs. Converts can claim to have exercised "free will" to a degree because they have made a personal choice between at least two different possibilities. Catholics have traditionally been taught not to exercise "free will" in relation to their beliefs.
When one is already with the best why change? Free Will, of course we got free will. doesn't always apply to religion.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#57 Oct 14, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
When one is already with the best why change? Free Will, of course we got free will. doesn't always apply to religion.
If you never consider your options you have no choice. If you have no choice you have no free will.
Sherlayne

Sparta, NJ

#58 Oct 14, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
No pain, stiff if sit long time but can handle that. Don't think I could handle being in 20's again. It's been a long and fun road traveled over the yrs. I turned 60 this yr.,yikes! Looking at retirement in 18 months. Difficult to believe I've made it this long in life.
Never seen Paul's artwork but must be good, people buy it, even famous ones. I'm sure he's true, what reason not to be?
I can't remember the email address I set up to corresponde with you, will have to set up another so we can touch base again.
Hi there!

You turned 60? I just turned 68 - Aug. 29 - Michael Jackson's birthday.

And yes, I'd love to correspond with you through email :) It was my grandson's first birthday this past weekend, actually it was Oct. 11 - but they had a huge party for him Sat. We stayed overnight at my son's and had a wonderful time.

I don't mind getting old but the good health we could more or less take for granted seems to desert us :( Neither my husband nor I are in the best of health; we have a home health aide who comes here Mon - Fri and she's a real blessing. Our medical bills and medications took about all we had :( However, I know there are people worse off, so I concentrate on my blessings, and thank God I have many.

18 months til retirement? Wonderful! Actually, I got an "early out" (civil servant jargon) in 1987. I love being home but believe it or not I wish I were well enough to do my own housework; I always took pride in keeping my home looking good.

Hope to talk to you soon; God's blessings be with you and yours.
Catholic Girl

United States

#59 Oct 15, 2013
Big Al wrote:
<quoted text>
If you never consider your options you have no choice. If you have no choice you have no free will.
Always look at the options. It's just when you already have the best, why change.
Catholic Girl

United States

#60 Oct 15, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi there!
You turned 60? I just turned 68 - Aug. 29 - Michael Jackson's birthday.
And yes, I'd love to correspond with you through email :) It was my grandson's first birthday this past weekend, actually it was Oct. 11 - but they had a huge party for him Sat. We stayed overnight at my son's and had a wonderful time.
I don't mind getting old but the good health we could more or less take for granted seems to desert us :( Neither my husband nor I are in the best of health; we have a home health aide who comes here Mon - Fri and she's a real blessing. Our medical bills and medications took about all we had :( However, I know there are people worse off, so I concentrate on my blessings, and thank God I have many.
18 months til retirement? Wonderful! Actually, I got an "early out" (civil servant jargon) in 1987. I love being home but believe it or not I wish I were well enough to do my own housework; I always took pride in keeping my home looking good.
Hope to talk to you soon; God's blessings be with you and yours.
connect with email: schmedes2010@hotmail.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parenting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Child/Teen Spanking May 24 Maltamon 9
News Parenting: Time out vs. spanking (Dec '11) May 24 Spankamon 2
News Joe Jackson defends spanking Michael (Sep '10) May 24 Latoya 8
News When Is Spanking Child Abuse? (Oct '08) May 24 Phil Spankford 80
Spanking Children (Mar '09) May 24 Phil 6
News Pastor charged with felony for spanking son (Oct '08) May 23 Dayton Ohio 19
News Planned Parenthood boss: Kushner threatened to ... May 18 Trump is a joke 4