Why I'm still a Catholic

Oct 1, 2013 Full story: Salon 123

From the other room, I hear my eldest daughter ask her father the question. Again.

Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
a suffering little one

Monroe, CT

#1 Oct 2, 2013
Da pweest bys mee kandy a lot.
SHYKORA arts paul

Calgary, Canada

#2 Oct 2, 2013
a suffering little one wrote:
Da pweest bys mee kandy a lot.
..ahhh..daw...
SHYKORA arts paul

Calgary, Canada

#3 Oct 2, 2013
..ONE HAS the ''right'' to be a CATHOLIC or NOT..simple...eh..
Catholic Girl

Bethpage, NY

#4 Oct 3, 2013
It's up to you to pick your religion. God gave us freedom of choice. Kind of like the Price is right game, do you want door # 1, 2, or 3? could be a zonk, could be the big prize of the day.:)
enjoy your day that the Lord has made...
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#5 Oct 3, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
It's up to you to pick your religion. God gave us freedom of choice. Kind of like the Price is right game, do you want door # 1, 2, or 3? could be a zonk, could be the big prize of the day.:)
Catholic girl says.....It's up to you to pick your religion.

Michael says......The vast majority of people of faith are indoctrinated into the same faith as their parents who want their children to become just like them. Very few catholics join other religions simply because their families would SHUN them.

Very sad, when someones personal belief is not determined by themeselves.
Ocean56

AOL

#6 Oct 4, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
Of course you neglected to mention that in the United States, one is free to pick NO RELIGION. Which I did 25+ years ago, when I kicked the toxic baggage of Catholicism to the curb. I have seven good reasons to love being what I call Catholicism-Free (CF for short):

1. No constant and tedious preaching about "sin"

2. No long and boring church services and sermons to ruin my Sundays

3. No hassles about the weekly drag known as "confession."

4. Not having to pop out more kids than I wanted because of Catholicism's anti-contraception doctrines

5. Not having to give any of my money to the church's blood-sucking hierarchy by the church-based extortion known as "tithing."

6. No worries about my child being a victim of one of the Catholic Church's vile pedophile priests

7. Freedom to decide for MYSELF on all important personal matters like sex, marriage, and reproduction

Personally, I find it a gross obscenity that a group of male clerics in dresses has the arrogance to believe it has the "right" to rule over millions of women's lives. Luckily for me, I can -- and DID -- kick all of this toxic church's baggage to the curb so it wouldn't ruin the quality of MY life. I celebrate that decision every day.

For me, being Catholicism-Free (CF) ROCKS. It's wonderful how much freedom a woman has when she ISN'T mentally chained to a regressive and oppressive religious institution.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#7 Oct 4, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you neglected to mention that in the United States, one is free to pick NO RELIGION. Which I did 25+ years ago, when I kicked the toxic baggage of Catholicism to the curb. I have seven good reasons to love being what I call Catholicism-Free (CF for short):
4. Not having to pop out more kids than I wanted because of Catholicism's anti-contraception doctrines
5. Not having to give any of my money to the church's blood-sucking hierarchy by the church-based extortion known as "tithing."
6. No worries about my child being a victim of one of the Catholic Church's vile pedophile priests
7. Freedom to decide for MYSELF on all important personal matters like sex, marriage, and reproduction
Personally, I find it a gross obscenity that a group of male clerics in dresses has the arrogance to believe it has the "right" to rule over millions of women's lives. Luckily for me, I can -- and DID -- kick all of this toxic church's baggage to the curb so it wouldn't ruin the quality of MY life. I celebrate that decision every day.
For me, being Catholicism-Free (CF) ROCKS. It's wonderful how much freedom a woman has when she ISN'T mentally chained to a regressive and oppressive religious institution.
You are definetly not alone in your feelings as an ex-catholic, even the 42,000 nuns in america are locking horns with the vatican over their job description.

Catholic Girl

Bethpage, NY

#8 Oct 4, 2013
I sure do feel sorry for you poor souls. Hope you see the light before it's to late. It's your life here and the ever after.
In my day parents would do the best they could for their children and showing them the religious side of life was one of these things. Buying children whatever they desire is not doing the best for them. It takes love and guidance to raise children, not how much you can charge on your charge card.
Than the world was a much better place. todays world isn't so good, most likely due to people thinking like you guys.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#9 Oct 4, 2013
The topic should be, how many catholics today actually practice their faith.

... the vast majority of roman catholics practice or have practiced forms of birth control the church says is sinful.

...recent polls indicate MOST roman catholics favor optional celebacy, the church screams NO1

....millions of roman catholics are divorced. The church says this is wrong because you cannot dissolve a sacrament, and many of the divorced catholics have new partners, the catholic church says this is adultery.

....the bishops in america claim only 25% of roman catholics go to mandatory sunday mass weekly. The church claims every sunday mass missed is a mortal sin.

...today its hard to find a priest in america who has not been imported from another country as vocations for men and women dwindle.

The catholic church in the western world is in terrible shape, as catholicism gives way to growing secularism. South america, africa and asia is where the future catholic church flourishes while the western world grows more to secularism.

Why I am still a catholic is a redundant topic.

SHYKORA paul arts

Calgary, Canada

#10 Oct 4, 2013
..well you's do have a choice,here...eh..
jean

Van Nuys, CA

#11 Oct 4, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
I sure do feel sorry for you poor souls. Hope you see the light before it's to late. It's your life here and the ever after.
In my day parents would do the best they could for their children and showing them the religious side of life was one of these things. Buying children whatever they desire is not doing the best for them. It takes love and guidance to raise children, not how much you can charge on your charge card.
Than the world was a much better place. todays world isn't so good, most likely due to people thinking like you guys.
to catholic girl i understand what you mean about the world today. i still am a practicing catholic atend mass and communion every week but so many people i know have left the church and turned to the lutheran church.many people in my family had stopped gping to church the o ly ones that went were me my fathers three sisters and my cousin and her husband in florida. my sister left the church in 1973 when she turned 21 people domake their own decisions in tis day and age.
Ocean56

AOL

#12 Oct 5, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
The thing is, I DID see for myself what the "religious side of life," specifically the Catholic Church, had to "offer," and I use that last word with heavy sarcasm. As far as I'M concerned, the Catholic Church represents regression, oppression of women, and sheer MISERY because of its anti-contraception doctrines. That's why I REJECTED it when I was finally able to do so. I still consider it one of the best decisions I ever made, and I celebrate my freedom from the RCC every day.

The world for ME is a much better place since I don't have that toxic church's influence poisoning the quality of MY life. I have the freedom to make my own sexual and reproductive decisions for MYSELF, which sure beats having a bunch of male clerics in dresses making those personal decisions FOR me.

Bottom line; you're free to believe whatever backward ideology you want. You just don't get to impose that ideology on me or anyone else. Your religious beliefs stop with YOU.

Secularism = FREEDOM. No dogmas required.

“Fast before the feast”

Since: Oct 13

Sydney, Australia

#13 Oct 5, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
IN reply to your comment I'm a catholic woman and i completely disagree. Being a catholic i am in the fullest sense free, more so than any other people i believe because i know full well what is right and what is wrong and that for everything i do there is a consequence.

1. Sin is an offence against God.n That's as straightforward as you can get.
2. Since when was the purpose of mass supposed to be entertain people. The primary reason for attending church is to worship. It's not a concert. There are 168 hours in a week and you're too stingy to give up at least 1 to thank the God that made you.
3. You obviously have misunderstood the purpose of confession also.
4. You misunderstood those teachings also.(Contraceptives such as condoms and pills may not be used because they prevent the reproduction--> one function of sex/ and is therefore and abuse because it is purely for pleasure)--> NFP is the way to do it.
5. The church has helped millions of people around the world with those tithes.
6. You shouldnt judge a whole by the actions of a few. Your daughter is anything has a lower chance of being attacked by clergy than any other group in society.
7. You're free to do whatever you want (its within your capacity) however every choice has a consequence.

I find it ironic that you believe women are oppressed in the church when the Mary, the Queen of Heaven .. A WOMAN .. is the most revered creature in the universe.
Men and women are different and therefore must play different roles within the church.
Im a woman, Im catholic and I'm free.
God Bless
jean

Van Nuys, CA

#14 Oct 5, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
how old were you when you left the catholic church? my sister stopped when she was 21 but will attend for funerals weddings and special times. sometimes when priests preached so many thought that he talked to use like we were cildren even when we were grown up. what church do you go to now? i still go to sunday mass but not as often to cinfession because the priest also has faults of his own. iny god can forgve sin.
Ocean56

AOL

#15 Oct 6, 2013
LIBER-THINKER wrote:
IN reply to your comment I'm a catholic woman and i completely disagree. Being a catholic i am in the fullest sense free, more so than any other people i believe because i know full well what is right and what is wrong and that for everything i do there is a consequence.
2. Since when was the purpose of mass supposed to be entertain people. The primary reason for attending church is to worship. It's not a concert. There are 168 hours in a week and you're too stingy to give up at least 1 to thank the God that made you.
4. You misunderstood those teachings also.(Contraceptives such as condoms and pills may not be used because they prevent the reproduction--> one function of sex/ and is therefore and abuse because it is purely for pleasure)--> NFP is the way to do it.
5. The church has helped millions of people around the world with those tithes.
6. You shouldnt judge a whole by the actions of a few. Your daughter is anything has a lower chance of being attacked by clergy than any other group in society.
7. You're free to do whatever you want (its within your capacity) however every choice has a consequence.
I find it ironic that you believe women are oppressed in the church when the Mary, the Queen of Heaven .. A WOMAN .. is the most revered creature in the universe.
Men and women are different and therefore must play different roles within the church.
Im a woman, Im catholic and I'm free.
God Bless
You can BELIEVE you're "free" if that's what floats your boat. But as far as I'M concerned, a woman is NOT free if she allows a backward religious institution like the RCC to make all her personal decisions FOR her.

The most basic freedom a woman has -- to decide for HERSELF whether or not to be a mother and how many children SHE wants to have -- is DENIED her by the Catholic Church's anti-contraception doctrines. Why any woman would allow a bunch of male clerics in dresses to make such personal choices for her is beyond me. That's one of the benefits of being Catholicism-FREE (CF); I'M in charge of my reproductive processes, not some backward church hierarchy.

Ocean56

AOL

#16 Oct 6, 2013
jean wrote:
how old were you when you left the catholic church? my sister stopped when she was 21 but will attend for funerals weddings and special times. sometimes when priests preached so many thought that he talked to use like we were cildren even when we were grown up. what church do you go to now? i still go to sunday mass but not as often to cinfession because the priest also has faults of his own. iny god can forgve sin.
When I kicked the toxic baggage of Catholicism to the curb 25+ years ago, I dumped the baggage of other gods, religions and churches as well. Suffice it to say that I was a legal adult at the time, that's all you need to know.

Ocean56

AOL

#17 Oct 6, 2013
LIBER-THINKER wrote:
Riiiiiiiiight, and in the Catholic Church, a "sin" is anything the Pope SAYS it is. That includes the use of what the Catholic hierarchy calls "artificial contraception" to prevent unwanted pregnancy. Oh, and I believe the church still considers certain sexual acts to be "sins" as well, since they avoid the pregnancy risk if they don't lead to intercourse. Am I correct on that point?

That's one of the seven benefits of being CF (Catholicism-FREE); I don't have that kind of church-based nonsense running MY life. I get to decide for MYSELF in all matters of sex and reproduction without some nosy male cleric telling me I'm committing some kind of "sin" for making those decisions.

That means I can decide to use contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancy, since I'm DONE with the whole procreation thing. The "consequences" you mentioned are nothing more than stopping at the number of children I wanted (in my case, ONE), and enjoying life on MY terms.

S.I.N.= Self-Inflicted NONSENSE
Ocean56

AOL

#18 Oct 6, 2013
LIBER-THINKER wrote:
Since I consider your "God" to be IMAGINARY, and that in fact I was "made" by my biological mom and dad, there's no reason for me to ruin my Sundays, including today, with long and tedious church services to "worship" some deity I have no belief in. I can spend my Sundays any way I want.

Seems to me like you're just pissed that I CAN reject Catholicism with no civil or criminal penalties for doing so. Too bad. That's one of the best advantages of living in the United States, which is, thankfully, NOT dominated by that toxic church.

Ocean56

AOL

#19 Oct 6, 2013
LIBER-THINKER wrote:
Sure I do. It's to "confess," to a cleric, whatever so-called "sins" you think you might have committed during the week before the weekly drag known as "confession." Then the cleric tells you what kind of "penance" you have to do to atone for those imagined "sins," which was usually a bunch of silly prayers.

That's how I interpret that silly ritual, anyway. If I'm incorrect, I couldn't care less. I consider it to be another church-based waste of time, which I'm also very glad to be FREE from.

jean

Van Nuys, CA

#20 Oct 6, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Riiiiiiiiight, and in the Catholic Church, a "sin" is anything the Pope SAYS it is. That includes the use of what the Catholic hierarchy calls "artificial contraception" to prevent unwanted pregnancy. Oh, and I believe the church still considers certain sexual acts to be "sins" as well, since they avoid the pregnancy risk if they don't lead to intercourse. Am I correct on that point?
That's one of the seven benefits of being CF (Catholicism-FREE); I don't have that kind of church-based nonsense running MY life. I get to decide for MYSELF in all matters of sex and reproduction without some nosy male cleric telling me I'm committing some kind of "sin" for making those decisions.
That means I can decide to use contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancy, since I'm DONE with the whole procreation thing. The "consequences" you mentioned are nothing more than stopping at the number of children I wanted (in my case, ONE), and enjoying life on MY terms.
S.I.N.= Self-Inflicted NONSENSE
well do you believe in god at all ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parenting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parents welcome son's diagnosis 13 hr GrahamB 1
'He was like Jekyll and Hyde but drug means he'... Mon GARDASIL MAIMS KILLS 2
How To Make The Most Of Your 10 Minutes With Te... Sat BlumpyJones 2
Spanking Is Great for Sex Sep 20 Anonymous 3
Harvard and Stanford Experts Speak Out Against ... Sep 18 HumanSpirit 8
Judge Byrd reprimanded in Wilson County case (Feb '08) Sep 14 Gold finger 143
Who should do the Spanking ? Mom or Dad ? (Aug '12) Sep 11 amy19013 38
•••

Parenting People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE