Utah in gay marriage filing: Kids nee...

Utah in gay marriage filing: Kids need mom and dad

There are 78 comments on the KRMG-AM Tulsa story from Feb 4, 2014, titled Utah in gay marriage filing: Kids need mom and dad. In it, KRMG-AM Tulsa reports that:

Utah state attorneys filed their opening argument to the federal appeals court reviewing the state's same-sex marriage ban, saying the optimal environment for raising children is with a mother and father.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KRMG-AM Tulsa.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#1 Feb 4, 2014
QUALITY , not gender , is what makes a good parent .. What does it avail a child to have two morons as parents ? Not to mention all kinds of disordered , and even criminal persons , without means or a vocation for parenthood .. This is so obvious only a rabid bigot will deny it and ultimately .. who cares ?? It's the children who will have to pay the price for the mistake .. That's what we should care for .

“Married 6/17/08”

Since: Feb 07

Porterville, CA

#2 Feb 4, 2014
With these "arguments" maybe Utah should change their name to "Delusion".
If memory serves, these same arguments were tried in Perry v Hollingsworth and were found wanting.
amp

Las Vegas, NV

#3 Feb 4, 2014
david traversa wrote:
QUALITY , not gender , is what makes a good parent .. What does it avail a child to have two morons as parents ? Not to mention all kinds of disordered , and even criminal persons , without means or a vocation for parenthood .. This is so obvious only a rabid bigot will deny it and ultimately .. who cares ?? It's the children who will have to pay the price for the mistake .. That's what we should care for .
Typical homosexual defective ad nauseum argument, using the exception to void the rule.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#4 Feb 4, 2014
amp wrote:
Typical homosexual defective ad nauseum argument, using the exception to void the rule.
Typical xenophobic opposition, empty of any salient points.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#5 Feb 4, 2014
Well, perhaps Utah needs to pass a constitutional amendment banning divorce, and criminalize pregnancy outside of wedlock. Those measures would better serve the state's interests as expressed in their filing.
Elizabeth Johnson

Falls Church, VA

#7 Feb 4, 2014
Alas the world is not perfect never was any kid will tell you having a home and any good parent is better than having none.

I am tired of hearing about "Traditional Marriage" being threaten. Traditional marriage is and shall forever be between a man and a woman. Nothing can ever change that. SSM Is Non-traditional and so what.

Reducing the birth rate is really dumb, all you have to look at is all of the unwed mothers and the babies up for adoption.

True Equality and Freedom of Religion come at a high price. We HAVE to allow people to do things we may not like so we can enjoy what we like.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#8 Feb 4, 2014
Elizabeth Johnson wrote:
Alas the world is not perfect never was any kid will tell you having a home and any good parent is better than having none.
I am tired of hearing about "Traditional Marriage" being threaten. Traditional marriage is and shall forever be between a man and a woman. Nothing can ever change that. SSM Is Non-traditional and so what.
Reducing the birth rate is really dumb, all you have to look at is all of the unwed mothers and the babies up for adoption.
True Equality and Freedom of Religion come at a high price. We HAVE to allow people to do things we may not like so we can enjoy what we like.
Thanks for your supportive comments but remember that in Biblical times, traditional marriage was between a man and one OR MORE women, a state of affairs most women would no longer wish to revert to.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#11 Feb 4, 2014
To use this argument, they will either need to prove that gay people marrying will prevent straight parents form having and raising children, or admit that they believe that the government should sacrifice all the children of gay couples in their quest to make raising children harder for same-sex couples - as a strong dis-incentive.

Both of these arguments are illogical and have failed in the past.

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#13 Feb 4, 2014
Yeah, Pierre1.very "camp".

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#15 Feb 4, 2014
They seem to be asserting that all those children ever born and raised with only one or the other simple died from the lack, or never grew to live fulfilled lives and make any contribution to their communities.

Is that patently false on the face of it, or what?
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#16 Feb 4, 2014
This argument is so appallingly stupid that it hurts to respond. This case is not about kids. Gay couples HAVE kids already, who are doing better than those with hetero parents according to Every Single Study done so far. Banning gay marriage will neither take those kids away from their gay parents, nor compel straight, single parent households to get married immediately. This is a straw man argument, designed to distract the audience. I can hear the minister's wife in The Simpsons moaning, "Won't somebody please think of the children."

If this is the best the moronic mormons can come up with, this case is already over. Though to be fair, this entire fight is already over. The fundies, and similar religious nutoids, are simply too stupid to realize it.
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#17 Feb 4, 2014
Whether gay parents or straight parents , if the quality of their parenting is low you'll get nothing but more mental defectives , and we don't need any more of those ; for they now amount to three thirds of a sadly overpopulated world .
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#19 Feb 4, 2014
Sir Andrew wrote:
This argument is so appallingly stupid that it hurts to respond. This case is not about kids. Gay couples HAVE kids already, who are doing better than those with hetero parents according to Every Single Study done so far. Banning gay marriage will neither take those kids away from their gay parents, nor compel straight, single parent households to get married immediately. This is a straw man argument, designed to distract the audience. I can hear the minister's wife in The Simpsons moaning, "Won't somebody please think of the children."
If this is the best the moronic mormons can come up with, this case is already over. Though to be fair, this entire fight is already over. The fundies, and similar religious nutoids, are simply too stupid to realize it.
Thanks be to great intelligence .. of which you are a shining example .
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#20 Feb 4, 2014
Hans wrote:
Kids need mom and dad.
The optimal environment for raising children is with a mother and father.
DUH! Of course!
This ain't rocket science folks.
No .. it's just so much trash .
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#23 Feb 4, 2014
SteamRoller wrote:
Queers should never be allowed to be around children, let alone raise them
Yet another sign of utter frustration ..
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#25 Feb 4, 2014
Thank you, David. Yours is the last message I read before heading to bed. I shall have wonderful dreams now.
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#26 Feb 4, 2014
Sir Andrew wrote:
Thank you, David. Yours is the last message I read before heading to bed. I shall have wonderful dreams now.
You deserve all possible praise . Happy dreams ..

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#27 Feb 5, 2014
Sir Andrew wrote:
This argument is so appallingly stupid that it hurts to respond. This case is not about kids. Gay couples HAVE kids already, who are doing better than those with hetero parents according to Every Single Study done so far. Banning gay marriage will neither take those kids away from their gay parents, nor compel straight, single parent households to get married immediately. This is a straw man argument, designed to distract the audience. I can hear the minister's wife in The Simpsons moaning, "Won't somebody please think of the children."
If this is the best the moronic mormons can come up with, this case is already over. Though to be fair, this entire fight is already over. The fundies, and similar religious nutoids, are simply too stupid to realize it.
What these assertions actually is farm the programmed-in buzzword effect for the upcoming elections (and the annual bishop's collection).
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#28 Feb 5, 2014
Hans wrote:
Kids need mom and dad.
The optimal environment for raising children is with a mother and father.
DUH! Of course!
This ain't rocket science folks.
A marriage license is not a contract to have children

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#29 Feb 5, 2014
Same lame arguments against same-sex couples marrying.

I especially loved the part about gay marriage will cause less children to be born.

Really, they actually said that in court.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parenting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kids will ruin your life (Jun '10) 16 hr Kristen 203
News Miami Mom Gives Birth Alone During Hurricane Ir... Sep 12 patriciaaprice98 1
News Law would let courts restore parental rights (Apr '07) Sep 8 Laqueena 195
Apparently I'm an overprotective parent Sep 8 Singlemother34 1
News 'Who's the dad?' and other things not to say to... Sep 2 Roger 27
News Lady Storms Out of Diner After Manager's Brutal... Aug 29 Orose 1
News Adding sex back into relationship (Dec '08) Aug '17 RACE 198
More from around the web