My teenage son curses and threatens t...

My teenage son curses and threatens to punch me

There are 110 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jan 7, 2008, titled My teenage son curses and threatens to punch me. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Q: My 15-year-old son and I are butting heads a lot lately. When I get on his case about messing up the house, he begins cursing at me and has threatened to punch me.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
In Allentown

Elkton, MD

#1 Jan 7, 2008
Oh my. My brother once raised his voice at my parents - we all learned from his mistake. This punk needs to be taught a lesson, or we're going to be reading about him in the morning call.
Bushwacker

AOL

#2 Jan 7, 2008
What kind of man is your husband that he lets his son threaten his mother?
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#5 Jan 7, 2008
My mother raised 4 kids pretty much on her own, and I'm trying to think what she would've done if I'd cursed her; nope, can't think of what she'd have done, because it never would've occurred to me to do anything like that! All of us kids knew better than to mouth off to Mom, let me tell you... However, I've known other parents who, over the years, didn't want to discipline their kids because it would interfere with their little ones' right to 'expression," it would "stifle them," and I'm sure you all know the yuppy-new age terminology... Well, they didn't provide any discipline when the kids were little and I guess I don't need to tell you how their kids turned out, do I? By the time the children get into their teens, if you haven't provided proper guidance and discipline, they're not going to start obeying you all of a sudden.

“Does it really Matter”

Since: May 07

Sunnyville USA

#6 Jan 7, 2008
My child would be picking his/her teeth off the floor. This is way out of control. You need to seek professional help!
jim

Allentown, PA

#8 Jan 7, 2008
doindawash wrote:
My child would be picking his/her teeth off the floor. This is way out of control. You need to seek professional help!
amen to that........what kind of person needs to write to a newspaper for parenting advice?

“I've now been in 57 states”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#9 Jan 7, 2008
A - I wouldn't tolerate anyone talking to my wife in that manner, especially some punk 15 year old kid. He is in desperate need of being put in his place.

B - If that doesn't work then go to attorney and have an emancipation order prepared. Clearly explain that if his actions do not change the emancipation order will be put into effect on their 16th birthday.

It blows me away when parents allow this type of behavior to occur in their homes.

“Here's looking at ya!”

Since: Jul 07

AOL

#11 Jan 7, 2008
Call turning point and ask for advice, and/or go to the Court House and get a PFA.

The Judge will knock some sense into him and he will realize if he don't knock it off, he will lose his happy home.

Silver Surfer is right, you can have him emancipated.

“Go O's!”

Since: Dec 07

Reading, PA

#13 Jan 7, 2008
In today's world you physically discipline your kid and they can call child services on you and have you arrested.And the kids know it too. The Government steps in and tells you what you can and can't do to control things in your household.
All you can do is call the cops and have them step in. Then Child Services will take over for the parents.The Legal system wants to tell you how to do it? Let them handle it and raise the kid.
The State seems to own our kids today. And it's working sooooo well, ain't it?
OLDE DUDE

Bethlehem, PA

#14 Jan 7, 2008
First ask him where is he getting his drug money! Before he even answers,
nail him upside his head! Then ask him again. This will keep the parent clear on the abuse thing.He'll be guilty about the drug thing and cops and all that.This proccedure will clear the path to further communication.
margabale

Allentown, PA

#15 Jan 7, 2008
This behavior has been in the making for years. This kid didn't just wake up one morning and become this monster. The parents choose to ignore the behavior probably thinking he was going through a "phase" and would soon grow out of it, instead of taking care of it as soon as it started. These parents didn't want to stifle his freedom of expression because it would harm in some way and now they pay the price. Growing up, my mom would dare us to call the cops, she always said she would beat us in front of them. HA! HA! But that was the way it was.
Mary

Germansville, PA

#16 Jan 7, 2008
Put him in foster care!!!!
David-1206

Atlanta, GA

#17 Jan 7, 2008
Place his belongings outside the door and advise him that if he doesn't like living at home then he can find accomodations more suitable to his liking.

“Does it really Matter”

Since: May 07

Sunnyville USA

#18 Jan 7, 2008
silver surfer wrote:
A - I wouldn't tolerate anyone talking to my wife in that manner, especially some punk 15 year old kid. He is in desperate need of being put in his place.
B - If that doesn't work then go to attorney and have an emancipation order prepared. Clearly explain that if his actions do not change the emancipation order will be put into effect on their 16th birthday.
It blows me away when parents allow this type of behavior to occur in their homes.
You are 100% correct! The letter fails to tell us if their is a father figure (or did I miss that?) However I know my husband would beat the crap out of our son and then give him the phone to call the police!

Since: Feb 07

Chesterfield, MO

#19 Jan 7, 2008
will the Army take him??

“Here's looking at ya!”

Since: Jul 07

AOL

#20 Jan 7, 2008
Mary wrote:
Put him in foster care!!!!
No!!! he will be worse off, that's a recuiting station for gang members....
Just a dude

United States

#21 Jan 7, 2008
The poor kid just needs a time out in the corner & have his Xbox taken away for a while. How dare his mother yell at him for making a mess...
2nd Amendment Dem

Lancaster, PA

#22 Jan 7, 2008
This is a touchier situation then a lot of people are giving it credit. I got my butt whooped from a young age and knew better then threaten my parents, so a good crack in the back of the head would have worked for me. But this kid hasn't been taught that so hitting him would just re-enforce that you can do what you like so long as you are physical stronger then whom you do it to. My wife is smarter then me, and I think what she would do is calmly tell the kid it is not acceptable to threaten your way out of responsibility and let him know if he hits her she would have him locked up for assault and have him come up with his own bail money. Take one for the team and show him what comes of a violent person. Then when they come back if they still havenít learned there lesson it is time for dad to do a bit of re-enforcement, like my dad did when I thought at 16 I could knock the old man out, he knocked me into next year, and we werenít arguing just playing around, but I certainly didnít get too cocky after that.
Independent Biker

Alexandria, VA

#23 Jan 7, 2008
This kid obviously needs a lesson in respect and manners. It's never too late to start 'educating' a child who has a less than desirable outlook. And, when he threatens to call the cops tell him he should make sure an ambulance is coming, too 'cause he's gonna need it. If your gonna get locked up anyway, may as well ensure Little Johnny will NEVER think about doing that ever again.
If I had ever even thought about raising a hand to either of my parents, there would have been an ER trip in my very near future.
JOIN OUR PARADE

Walnutport, PA

#24 Jan 7, 2008
LET THESE KIDS STAY WITH A LATINO FAMILY FOR A WEEK, THEY WILL GET BACK IN SHAPE QUICK, CAUE WE ARE NOT AFRAID THE KICK THEIR AS$ES..
WELL TAKE CARE OF YOUR HUSBAND TOO!!!
NO PROBLEM, THEN MAYBE WE COULD GET HOOKED-UP AND STUFF.
emjoy

Northumberland, PA

#25 Jan 7, 2008
Tarnished Sheba has a point. If the child has been raised so badly or is just that abusive of his parents, he could easily find himself in foster care. If you think your own parents don't care much about you, try finding out how strangers feel.

Of course, there could be a health problem(mental health?), a drug/alcohol problem, or a negligent parenting problem. And any of these could have the same result - homelessness.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parenting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay Israeli Celebs Decry Same-Sex Adoption Ban Thu Wrong Move 5
News Parents who push their kids into gender explora... Jul 9 TerriB1 1
News Arizona Supreme Court to rule on same-sex paren... Jun 29 The Troll Stopper 20
News For advocates of gay adoption, progress but als... Jun 22 Tre H 29
News Sex in the family bed: Does it happen? (Jul '11) Jun '17 Michelle 137
News Idaho Supreme Court: Unmarried gay partner has ... Jun '17 Frankie Rizzo 5
News More than a third of teenage girls experience d... Jun '17 Humanspirit 3
More from around the web