Dad suing Bexley schools over residency

Mark Ebner reads in his apartment at 485 S. Parkview Rd. in Bexley, which he says is where he and his children live. Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Dirk

Columbus, OH

#1 Sep 29, 2009
LMAO @ filthy rich liars
Wendy Sue

United States

#2 Sep 29, 2009
This is BS-- if he can prove beyond reasonable doubt that the family has established residence INSIDE Bexley's border's, WTF is the big deal? Who cares which house the kids spend their time in? The family HAS RESIDENCY PEOPLE!!!! Wake up and smell yourselves!!!!
B Wright

AOL

#3 Sep 29, 2009
If the Ebner family wants their children to attend Bexley school, then they need to move to Bexley! The law is the law and just because he has money he does not think that the law applies to him. I am sure that Bexley will win the case.
kwaljalein_Marys ville

Chillicothe, OH

#4 Sep 29, 2009
Mark, you need to change your name and file for dual citizenship. Pick Hose Illegal from Senegal or any west coast African country. Tell them you operate a taxi cab at the airport. They'll drop the case! Who do you think occupies most of the low rent apartments in that city?
Todd

Columbus, OH

#5 Sep 29, 2009
This guy is a crook. He pays 18,000 a year in property taxes to Columbus but would double that amount if he lived in Bexley. Quit trying to scam the system. Sell your house and move to Bexley a-hole.
UA RES

United States

#6 Sep 29, 2009
Goes to show that the school district doesnt care about educating students, just the amount of money it gets from taxes.
huh

Columbus, OH

#7 Sep 29, 2009
What's the problem? He is paying taxes that are linked to the apartment that he owns and "lives" in. So if someone in that apartment "lives" there and attends Bexley schools, they are paying the same? I don't understand the problem? The man has money, so he is paying taxes for both properties in both districts correct?
Grovetucky

Grove City, OH

#8 Sep 29, 2009
He's RICH he'll get what he wants. If he was poor they would put him in jail for fraud.
DSP

Lima, OH

#9 Sep 29, 2009
Sounds like the gentleman is within the law. Bexley should spend the legal fees on closing the loophole in the law. I don't understand how the school district would or should win this case. People are free to spend their money the way they want as long as it is within the law.

I'm sure this same thing is happening in Dublin, UA, etc. It's keeping those lower rent apartment owners in business -- and paying their share of property taxes!!!
Heritage

United States

#10 Sep 29, 2009
Why don't the Ebners just send their kids to a private school? Sounds to me like they can afford the best private school in the area for their kids.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#11 Sep 29, 2009
It seems as though we need to think long and hard about a system of education that supports huge differences in quality depending on which side of a line one lives on. If our public schools were able to provide equitable opportunity, things like this wouldn't be an issue.
Bald Guy

Columbus, OH

#12 Sep 29, 2009
WAIT!!!! Let's build a wall around Bexley and your kids can go to school there if you live within that walled area.

Who gives a crap? The school district is getting property taxes from that apartment complex regardless of their being a tenant in that apratment. What is a family moved in there that had 17 kids? They would all go to Bexely schools and the amount of property tax wouldn't increase.

Though I do like the wall idea too!!!
nnw

Columbus, OH

#13 Sep 29, 2009
Mr. Ebner has gotten caught in his own web. What he is paying in rent and boarding school is a whole lot more than he thought he'd be putting out. No mother in the world would let her children live in an apartment while she lives alone in her estate home just to access the local public school - so she is also culpable in this scam. I cannot imagine why Ebner wanted such bad PR. The whole family looks duplicitous.
People use to do this in Arlington a lot. I am glad that Bexley is on to him and he will be reimbursing them. Ebner should have had either the convictions to move to Bexley or the brains to let this go once caught. Bexley will not be Madoffed.
Pepper Ann

Columbus, OH

#14 Sep 29, 2009
Another school district throwing a temper tantrum.
$$$$$$$$$$ The mighty $$$$$$$$$$
Wonder how many families are pulling the same thing in SWCS and getting away with it.
If they are paying the rent then let them go to the school.
cook

Columbus, OH

#15 Sep 29, 2009
Let me understand. He owns the apartment. Pays taxes on it. Stays there sometimes. I assume claims it as his residence on his taxes. So why shouldn't his kids go to Bexley schools. They stated that Bexley people are highly taxed and he is paying that tax. As long as he is paying the taxes what is the gripe?
Mark

Cleveland, OH

#16 Sep 29, 2009
Maybe Mr. Ebner should talk to Mr. Husted of Kettering about what meets and does not meet residency requirements.
Shankapotimus

Redmond, WA

#17 Sep 29, 2009
I was surprised to read the school board went to the trouble of hiring a private investigator. Not a cheap thing to do.

If this was a divorce case with joint custody, how would it be decided? Would it depend on the kids having to spend half their nights at both places over a month? Then where would they go?
send it in

Grove City, OH

#18 Sep 29, 2009
Todd - don't you all just hate those rich people ... making all that money and paying all those taxes to a school they don't even want to attend. "He's a crook ... paying $18000/yr in property taxes" - give me a break, you probably you don't pay that much in 4 years. Quit whining that's money you don't have to pay in!

Wonder how many people have homes in Bexley that spend the majority of their time in Florida or perhaps in an assisted care facility? Is the district tracking them and sending them refund checks because they aren't "residents"? They are not actively part of the community and aren't benefiting from the schools but they sure won't be getting any consideration when it doesn't help the school system.

The family needs to spend 4 nights a week in Bexley and if the wife wants to stay in Columbus they need a legal separation with custody defined awarding the children to Dad during the week.
There are rules to the game, play the game within the rules and let them investigate/confirm you are within the rules. Everybody wins.
gman

Columbus, OH

#19 Sep 29, 2009
How sad is the Columbus School District that people will go the these lenghts to get their kids to another district. SAD.
a Mother

Columbus, OH

#20 Sep 29, 2009
Has Mr. Ebner filed legal separation papers from his wife? Does he have legal custody of the children? Are the children staying at the apartment? I think this family is trying to scam the scool system. I am on Bexley's side this time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parents upset over graphic anti-abortion ad nea... 10 min kiki 26
City council candidates discuss economic develo... (Nov '06) 37 min Ethel 2
'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo' canceled. 1 hr Gomer 6
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 2 hr Doug Wiedeman 31,305
Fantage Members Passwords (Aug '11) 2 hr Civic_princess bff 1,941
Peter Schweyer, Steven Ramos square off over ed... 2 hr silly rabbit 2
Battle Lines Drawn At Silver Grove School (Oct '07) 4 hr ShutemDown 197

Kids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE