State can't charge illegal immigrants...

State can't charge illegal immigrants' kids higher tuition

There are 24 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Sep 4, 2012, titled State can't charge illegal immigrants' kids higher tuition. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Students at Florida's public colleges and universities cannot be charged higher out-of-state tuition simply because their parents are in the U.S. illegally, a federal judge ruled.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pug

La Grange, IL

#22 Oct 14, 2012
REWBA wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get me started. I know that there are some great teachers in the public school system but the majority of the teachers in public schools are mediocre at best. A few teachers in the public schools should have never been allowed within a thousand yards of a child.
The best teachers influence their students to behave better than most teachers. The best teachers encourage their students to be better people. The best teachers inspire their students to try harder. The best teachers gift each and every one of their students with a lifelong love for learning.
You will never hear a great teacher blame a student or their parent for failing to influence excellence, encourage perfection, inspire greatness or gifting the lifelong love for learning. No ma'am! The best teachers don't have to point out blame because they do not fail.
The worst teachers whine about being forced to follow a lesson plan, complain about the low quality of their students, cry about being forced to be "counselors", "referees" and "nurses" in addition to being a "teacher". The worst teachers never communicate effectively with their students or their parents. They simply assign tasks, punish anyone with a question by demeaning them in from of their peers, leave the classroom to the paras as they go to the break room to bitch and complain with their fellow crappy teachers only to send the entire days curriculum home with their students for their parents to deal with.
You have already said what kind of teacher you are. lol
Your assumption is that all students are equal. They are not.
Pug

La Grange, IL

#24 Oct 14, 2012
REWBA wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not assume. I know that everyone in different. Unique! With that said, I will tell you that Teachers are no different. Some are really good but most are just doing the minimum required to get by. When we ask teachers for results, the good teachers deliver while the mediocre teachers complain. Mediocre teachers don't complain about how lazy the mediocre are...NO! They complain about the students that they are paid to teach. They complain about the tests. They complain about the parents who have no choice but to send their children to a school filled with mediocre teachers who got their job because the mediocre administration didn't want to hire anyone smarter than the administrators for fear of competition.
Public schools are filled with teachers, administrators, nurses, counselors, principles and coaches who couldn't get a job anywhere else. These mediocre performers wrap themselves in a blanket of protection known as tenure giving mediocre politicians something to bitch about without being forced to name names.
I realize that there are some fantastic teachers out there in the public education system. Private schools seek them out and hire them up.
I also know that a teacher who stands up against the institution will not stand in front of a class in that institution for much longer. They will be terminated, they will be forced to sue for wrongful termination and they will accept a cash settlement in exchange for silence.
I also know that the institution will stand behind the worst teachers as long as that teacher is a team player and remains loyal to the institution. Even teachers who are serial rapists preying on the students will be allowed to continue their careers...many times these pedophiles are caught, their crimes covered up and they are handed shining letters of recommendations in exchange for silence to avoid a scandal.
We have schools being sued by the ACLU because generations of students who attended those schools can't read, add or subtract. You cannot tell me that when zero percent of a graduating class can pass college entrance exams it's because 100% of those students are incapable of learning. It can be only one thing. Bad Teachers!
I would advocate going one step further than simply testing students in public schools. I would publicize each and every public teachers class scores for the public to see. If a teacher is accused of being bias towards Latinos...put it in the paper! If a teacher is accused of getting too friendly with their students...put it in the paper! These teachers are public employees! They asked for the job. Make their performance PUBLIC.
Hmmm, so public education is a failure, let's close the public schools. Privatize the schools and save the tax dollars. The "bad" teacher would be weeded out faster in a private school system. What do you think?
confusing

Albuquerque, NM

#26 Oct 14, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>this article was not about illegal students. it was about American citizen students whose parents happen to be illegal.
hope that helps you get back on topic.
most college students or enrollees are 18 or older and are considered adults. If the student is 18 and a citizen by birth then what would the parents status legal or not have to do with anything? If an 18yr old citizen that can pass the residency regs for instate tuition, and has the money in his/her hand then they should get the instate tuition. A lot of 18 and older do not live with mommy n daddy and are adults in the eyes of the law whether the parents are citizens or from mars.
barry

Pisgah, AL

#27 Oct 15, 2012
confusing wrote:
<quoted text>
most college students or enrollees are 18 or older and are considered adults. If the student is 18 and a citizen by birth then what would the parents status legal or not have to do with anything? If an 18yr old citizen that can pass the residency regs for instate tuition, and has the money in his/her hand then they should get the instate tuition. A lot of 18 and older do not live with mommy n daddy and are adults in the eyes of the law whether the parents are citizens or from mars.
that was my point. some were trying to argue that illegals should not get the same breaks. all i was doing was pointing out that these kids were not illegal and therefor not part of that argument.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jennifer Michelle Arnold 3 hr Guest 3
News Three Children Among 25 Undocumented Immigrants... 8 hr Waterville Mike 24
Unwanted Fantage Accounts (can be non-member or... (Jun '12) 13 hr angelkitten 178
News Child care choices limited for those working ou... Sep 19 CodeTalker 13
News Talking to Your Children about Transgender Sep 19 TerriB1 1
News Deportation tears apart family of 9 Sep 18 Erich 1
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) Sep 18 Boro parent 32,019
More from around the web