State can't charge illegal immigrants' kids higher tuition

Sep 4, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Students at Florida's public colleges and universities cannot be charged higher out-of-state tuition simply because their parents are in the U.S. illegally, a federal judge ruled.

Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Oct 15, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Juan

Pearland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2012

Judged:

That would not be fair. If they were born here than they are citizens and deserve the same treatment as any other citizen. All children have a right to a free education.
Magadala

Gig Harbor, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

I thought they were the best and brightest. I thought they could make their own way, they just needed an "opportunity." Well, here it is, WORK for it!!!

They are all such beggers and whiners. They came for a better life=Interpretation: I came to get as many freebies as I can steal.

This means that we have groomed the next generation of illegal aliens. This one will be quick, they already know the process.
Biff

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

why not??? if the parents were here "legally", obtained permits to be here for work or whatever and then the child was born here, sure, give that individual full citizenship and benefits! BUT, if the parents were illegals........that child should NOT be allowed full benefits! I realize it my not seem "fair" to that person but.....life's a bitch and things aren't fair in the real world

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

It is not fair for a legal, American student who happens to live out of state to be charged more than an illegal student who has no legal right to be in FL. It's pandering, plain and simple. How can penalizing an American student ever be construed as fair?

“RelaxEverythingW illBeAllright”

Since: Mar 11

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

teddyr4me wrote:
It is not fair for a legal, American student who happens to live out of state to be charged more than an illegal student who has no legal right to be in FL. It's pandering, plain and simple. How can penalizing an American student ever be construed as fair?
That is why you are just a half fast substitute teacher and not a federal judge.

Our children are failing in school because of shatty racist teachers like yourself.
Whatever

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

But they can charge U.S. citizens more if they live out of state. Leaves a nasty taste in your mouth, doesn't it?
Whatever

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

REWBA wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why you are just a half fast substitute teacher and not a federal judge.
Our children are failing in school because of shatty racist teachers like yourself.
Since you love illegals sooooo much, adopt a few and support them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

REWBA wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers can't do it all. Parents have to take responsibility for helping their kids to succeed as well.
Free is free

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

Talk about violating the equal protection clause of the 14th! An illegal alien getting a break a US citizen doesn't get is lawsuit bait.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>Teachers can't do it all. Parents have to take responsibility for helping their kids to succeed as well.
When a teacher fails to teach, that teacher blames the parents. We don't pay parents to teach their children. We pay teachers to do that. Get off you fat ass and start doing your job and quit bitching about it. Or you could just go out and get a job that you are qualified for and open up a slot for a real teacher.
Pug

Berwyn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

These Colleges are really reaping in the money and churning out graduates. But, only 40% are finding gainful employment in their field of study.
Dee Dee Dee

Macungie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

REWBA wrote:
<quoted text>
When a teacher fails to teach, that teacher blames the parents. We don't pay parents to teach their children. We pay teachers to do that. Get off you fat ass and start doing your job and quit bitching about it. Or you could just go out and get a job that you are qualified for and open up a slot for a real teacher.
Typical union entitlement mentality. If you don't get paid you do do anything for anybody even for your own children.
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

teddyr4me wrote:
this article was not about illegal students. it was about American citizen students whose parents happen to be illegal.
hope that helps you get back on topic.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

REWBA wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously have no clue what teachers do each day besides teach. Nobody is asking parents to teach the kids the curriculum, but it would be nice if they taught their kids manners, respect, self-discipline, self-control, responsibility and how to follow directions. Teachers have to be counselors, referees and nurses as well as teachers. Parental involvement is one of the best investments that a family can make for the future of its children. Stop trying to pass the buck...it takes the school and parents working in tandem to ensure there is student achievement.
LearnTheTruth

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

Biff wrote:
why not??? if the parents were here "legally", obtained permits to be here for work or whatever and then the child was born here, sure, give that individual full citizenship and benefits! BUT, if the parents were illegals........that child should NOT be allowed full benefits! I realize it my not seem "fair" to that person but.....life's a bitch and things aren't fair in the real world
I gotta agree Biff, especially...."if the parents were illegals........that child should NOT be allowed full benefits!"

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>You obviously have no clue what teachers do each day besides teach. Nobody is asking parents to teach the kids the curriculum, but it would be nice if they taught their kids manners, respect, self-discipline, self-control, responsibility and how to follow directions. Teachers have to be counselors, referees and nurses as well as teachers. Parental involvement is one of the best investments that a family can make for the future of its children. Stop trying to pass the buck...it takes the school and parents working in tandem to ensure there is student achievement.
Don't get me started. I know that there are some great teachers in the public school system but the majority of the teachers in public schools are mediocre at best. A few teachers in the public schools should have never been allowed within a thousand yards of a child.

The best teachers influence their students to behave better than most teachers. The best teachers encourage their students to be better people. The best teachers inspire their students to try harder. The best teachers gift each and every one of their students with a lifelong love for learning.

You will never hear a great teacher blame a student or their parent for failing to influence excellence, encourage perfection, inspire greatness or gifting the lifelong love for learning. No ma'am! The best teachers don't have to point out blame because they do not fail.

The worst teachers whine about being forced to follow a lesson plan, complain about the low quality of their students, cry about being forced to be "counselors", "referees" and "nurses" in addition to being a "teacher". The worst teachers never communicate effectively with their students or their parents. They simply assign tasks, punish anyone with a question by demeaning them in from of their peers, leave the classroom to the paras as they go to the break room to bitch and complain with their fellow crappy teachers only to send the entire days curriculum home with their students for their parents to deal with.

You have already said what kind of teacher you are. lol

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

REWBA wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get me started. I know that there are some great teachers in the public school system but the majority of the teachers in public schools are mediocre at best. A few teachers in the public schools should have never been allowed within a thousand yards of a child.
The best teachers influence their students to behave better than most teachers. The best teachers encourage their students to be better people. The best teachers inspire their students to try harder. The best teachers gift each and every one of their students with a lifelong love for learning.
You will never hear a great teacher blame a student or their parent for failing to influence excellence, encourage perfection, inspire greatness or gifting the lifelong love for learning. No ma'am! The best teachers don't have to point out blame because they do not fail.
The worst teachers whine about being forced to follow a lesson plan, complain about the low quality of their students, cry about being forced to be "counselors", "referees" and "nurses" in addition to being a "teacher". The worst teachers never communicate effectively with their students or their parents. They simply assign tasks, punish anyone with a question by demeaning them in from of their peers, leave the classroom to the paras as they go to the break room to bitch and complain with their fellow crappy teachers only to send the entire days curriculum home with their students for their parents to deal with.
You have already said what kind of teacher you are. lol
Much of what you say is true, but you fail to realize that some of those kids go home to deplorable conditions, and each new day they have to be reminded what IS acceptable behavior while they are in school. If there are behavioral problems the parents will read about them daily on their behavior chart that goes home in their folder. If there is a probelm with some concept, a note goes home on that paper. If they do something exceptionally well, they know about that as well. There is not one teacher at our local school wo does not communicate effectively with his/her students' parents. We use a positive reinforcement model, and most kids do well with it, however there are always a few that need another approach to bring out the best in them. Concerning the folder, far too many parents don't even look at the notes or even remove the daily work that goes home. There is a place for the parent to initial the folder daily, that in many cases comes back blank. Phone numbers given at the first of school usually end up disconnected. Home visits are the last resort. By the way, there is no "break room", there are no lounge lizards, that "free" time is usually spent catching a student up or to get work ready for the next day, or to grade papers. We usually don't get to talk to each other until we get to the lunch room, and that's only in passing. At the end of the year, when some kids must repeat or go to summer school, there are always some parents who can't understand why, but the reasons for the need went home to them daily.
Aryan Soccer Mom

Chandler, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

With Teddy, X Man

is "civil"

yet he is insulting people all over Topix who dont

support the la Raza agenda

go figure
djmary

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

If the students can show evidence that the parents paid both property and federal taxes the way legal people do then a higher rate should not apply. I paid tons in taxes and believe american born kids with parents that follow the rules and pay their fair share come first. We need more reasons to stop screwing american kids out of a quality education with over loaded class rooms by kids that dont belong here and do not pay their share!
Will

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Aryan Soccer Mom wrote:
With Teddy, X Man
is "civil"
yet he is insulting people all over Topix who dont
support the la Raza agenda
go figure
Exactly!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

64 Users are viewing the Kids Forum right now

Search the Kids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama, Emanuel Need to Put Chicago's Kids First 6 min reality is a crutch 1
Voices: Deportation policy could define Obama l... 47 min wild child 7
GfK Poll: Americans' illegal immigration concer... 1 hr wild child 1
Lubbock man says he was fired for being gay; la... 1 hr Jaleesa 193
Tampa doctor to speak at EPA public hearing on ... 2 hr Janie 5
Moviestarplanet passwords (Jan '12) 2 hr K33mys 2,917
Hundreds of fatigued Syrian rebels give up the ... 3 hr Hey George 3
Unwanted REAL Member Fantage Accounts FOR GIRLS (Jul '12) Tue Michelle 751
•••