Should same-sex marriage become legal?

Should same-sex marriage become legal?

There are 15317 comments on the MLive.com story from Sep 25, 2011, titled Should same-sex marriage become legal?. In it, MLive.com reports that:

Between 2000 and 2005, the number of same-sex couples in the United States increased by more than 20 percent, according to the Williams Institute, a think tank concerned with laws and public policy related to sexual orientation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MLive.com.

Arkansas David

Alexander, AR

#15382 Aug 4, 2012
We are addressing this issue wrongly, by "we" I refer to American society generally. "We" are looking for permission from the GOVERNMENT to be allowed to have the lifestyle of our choice. If I were gay Ibdo believe that I would be insulted that I need "permission" from the government to be "allowed" to marry the man I desire to spend my life with. Again, I'm probably the most heterosexual male in the world, but this seems to me that society in general and the gay community in particular... that we are putting ourselves in the position of a parent-child relationship with the government, wherein we have to "ask for permission" to be able to do that which we desire. Such a relationship puts "us" in an inherent position of weakness (does not the parent weild more power in such a dynamic? I could make a corollary to the welfare state or our system of taxation but it is neither here nor there).
Listen people, lend me your ears, WE DO NOT NEED "PERMISSION" TO LIVE THE LIFESTYLE CHOICE THAT WE WANT- THAT IS OUR ABSOLUTE RIGHT. Do what thou will lest ye harm none.
To all the people who say that "well maybe someone wants to have the lifestyle choice of being a bank robber- should we tolerate them too?" I have several points to counter with that. First of all I work in a courthouse and, on the lighter side, there already exist many people who make this lifestyle choice! They net on average $200-400 and about 1/7 times they are successful in bringing in more that $1,000; but this is Arkansas so maybe in big cities they het more money. The point I am trying to get at is there is no moral ambiguity when it comes to bank robbing- everyone knows it is wrong, even the robbers (that's why they bring guns and wear masks and use get-away cars). But many have no problems with gay marriage. Secondly, seeing all the nasty ways the legal recognition of heterosexual-marriage has been used against people (nasty divorces, child custody battles, alimony disputes, and the like) I can tell you gay men and women that not being able to marry is probably half as much a blessing as it is a curse.
What I'm getting at is this- instead of recognizing gay marriages the government needs to STOP RECOGNIZONG heterosexual marriage- it is not the governments job to recognize a persons lifestyle choice- whether that person be gay, straight, or neither. If two people, of any gender, are married they know this in their hearts and no government decision could or should influence how they want to live or view themselves. Pretty much anything the government touches turns to šhīt so watch out gay guys and gals.

David from Arkansas
Ken

Concord, CA

#15383 Aug 4, 2012
dances with weebles wrote:
<quoted text>
ken, you still haven't explained why you are so attached to the word. the word isn't holy, isn't a sacrament, and isn't owned by anyone. isn't this becoming strictly an arguments of semantics?
Hey dances, I am very much a traditionalist. Holy Matrimony is in my church's wedding liturgy. I know I don't own the word...but the fact is for centuries it has had a certain meaning, millions can attest to that. Matrimony is one of our 7 sacraments, a principle means of attaining grace, that draws us closer to God. Religion aside, it has held a certain definition throughout secular society as well.

In a society made up of many beliefs and groups, I would think we could find a way to respect tradition, and recognize new forms without having us at each other's throats. Compromise. Each side has to give a little.
Ken

Concord, CA

#15384 Aug 4, 2012
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never seen anyone fornicating in public, so I doubt it's much of a problem.
As to the peeing, yes, sadly, I've seen that. Some men have no shame when it comes to that.
To the first point...I saw that once behind hedges in a park, but it was over quickly and I think I was the only one that even caught a glimpse of anything. Did I mention they were in their 70's!
To the second point...all guys are guilty of this...at least find a tree or discreet corner!
Ken

Concord, CA

#15385 Aug 4, 2012
<quoted text>
actually, ken, you do have the right to pee whenever and wherever you've got to go. women don't however. you even have the right to pee in my garden just remember, tho... i might stand on my right to chuck a brick at you if i see you doing it.
the point being made, however, is sex acts, not peeing... and i've seen both homosexual and heterosexual acts happening in places that you probably couldn't imagine, including some guy balling a teenaged girl on the drinking fountain in a bowling alley, people in cars driving down the highway with someone giving the driver a blowjob, and people (both men and women) masturbating while driving... you name it.
and do you know what? i doubt that even fornication is a very good reason to call the police unless someone's being forced against their will. it really just doesn't matter all that much.
Okay,dances..peeeing wherever is a stretch...at least be a little discreet.

Mercy! Where do you live with all this going on? Or am I way too sheltered?

What about children seeing such an act? I doubt you would say that is alright? I think it does matter.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#15386 Aug 4, 2012
Arkansas David wrote:
We are addressing this issue wrongly, by "we" I refer to American society generally. "We" are looking for permission from the GOVERNMENT to be allowed to have the lifestyle of our choice. If I were gay Ibdo believe that I would be insulted that I need "permission" from the government to be "allowed" to marry the man I desire to spend my life with. Again, I'm probably the most heterosexual male in the world, but this seems to me that society in general and the gay community in particular... that we are putting ourselves in the position of a parent-child relationship with the government, wherein we have to "ask for permission" to be able to do that which we desire. Such a relationship puts "us" in an inherent position of weakness (does not the parent weild more power in such a dynamic? I could make a corollary to the welfare state or our system of taxation but it is neither here nor there).
Listen people, lend me your ears, WE DO NOT NEED "PERMISSION" TO LIVE THE LIFESTYLE CHOICE THAT WE WANT- THAT IS OUR ABSOLUTE RIGHT. Do what thou will lest ye harm none.
To all the people who say that "well maybe someone wants to have the lifestyle choice of being a bank robber- should we tolerate them too?" I have several points to counter with that. First of all I work in a courthouse and, on the lighter side, there already exist many people who make this lifestyle choice! They net on average $200-400 and about 1/7 times they are successful in bringing in more that $1,000; but this is Arkansas so maybe in big cities they het more money. The point I am trying to get at is there is no moral ambiguity when it comes to bank robbing- everyone knows it is wrong, even the robbers (that's why they bring guns and wear masks and use get-away cars). But many have no problems with gay marriage. Secondly, seeing all the nasty ways the legal recognition of heterosexual-marriage has been used against people (nasty divorces, child custody battles, alimony disputes, and the like) I can tell you gay men and women that not being able to marry is probably half as much a blessing as it is a curse.
What I'm getting at is this- instead of recognizing gay marriages the government needs to STOP RECOGNIZONG heterosexual marriage- it is not the governments job to recognize a persons lifestyle choice- whether that person be gay, straight, or neither. If two people, of any gender, are married they know this in their hearts and no government decision could or should influence how they want to live or view themselves. Pretty much anything the government touches turns to šh&#299;t so watch out gay guys and gals.
David from Arkansas
I agree
Kom2

Miami, FL

#15387 Aug 4, 2012
<quoted text>
you do realise, don't you, that 'sodomy' really has not very much to do with homosexuality per se. you see, by definition, sodomy is any sex act which isn't man-on-top-get-it-over-with-qu ick-vaginal-intercourse. that means oral sex (including both cunnilingus and fellatio) is sodomy, anal sex is sodomy, and co-masturbation is sodomy. these are all things that more straights than gays do with each other.
go figure.
My friend, God said that it was an Abomination. What more? "Sodomy, any sexual intercourse regarded as abnormal, as between persons of the same sex, especially males, or between a person and an animal."
Kom2

Miami, FL

#15389 Aug 4, 2012
Rogue Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
That would suck to be killed for eating shellfish. I luv shrimp.
My friend, The New Testament confirms the Old Testament command against homosexuality, explains why the command existed, and argues for why homosexuality should continue to be considered sinful. What then about shrimp? Does God still hate shrimp? No. Jesus Himself "declared all foods clean" (Mark 7:19). Jesus later confirmed this in a vision to Peter (Acts 10:15). While the New Testament confirms that homosexuality is sinful, it clearly indicates the food laws to be null and void. God never hated shrimp. Rather, God disallowed the consumption of shrimp to distinguish the Israelites' diet from that of the surrounding nations, and likely due to the fact that since they are bottom-feeders, shrimp are really not very healthy.

Location hidden

#15390 Aug 4, 2012
Kom2 wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend, God said that it was an Abomination. What more? "Sodomy, any sexual intercourse regarded as abnormal, as between persons of the same sex, especially males, or between a person and an animal."
God never said anything.
Kom2

Miami, FL

#15391 Aug 4, 2012
<quoted text>
really? there are several instances of gay marriage listed in the bible... should we simply disregard the fact that god blessed those marriages?
My friend, God has said that homosexuality is an Abomination. God has never blessed same-sex marriage.

Location hidden

#15392 Aug 4, 2012
Kom2 wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend, God has said that homosexuality is an Abomination. God has never blessed same-sex marriage.
God never said anything. You are nuts.

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#15393 Aug 4, 2012
Rogue Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
Is she you're second wife?
My son is eight and my daughter seven. Both are full of unfocused energy.
yes... 2nd. i have two other kids by my first wife... a daughter 43 and a son 37. now i've got a new crop... a girl 11 and a son 7.

'unfocused energy... is that what it's called? they say 'insanity is hereditary. you get it from your kids.'

Location hidden

#15394 Aug 4, 2012
Kom2 wrote:
<quoted text>
um... god never said that. you've had this all explained to you. didn't you read it?

the word 'abomination' never appears in the torah. what you're referring to is 'towáveh'... or taboo which is 'unclean in the temple'

Location hidden

#15395 Aug 4, 2012
Kom2 wrote:
<quoted text>
go back and read what i wrote...

sex between persons of the same sex is perfectly normal of both people are homosexual. if not, then it's probably a pretty rough row to hoe.
ELH

Portland, OR

#15396 Aug 4, 2012
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
Matrimony is one of our 7 sacraments, a principle means of attaining grace, that draws us closer to God.

Yet you continue to fornicate with a harlot outside of marriage while you are condemning homosexuality.
ELH

Portland, OR

#15397 Aug 4, 2012
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
To the first point...I saw that once behind hedges in a park...

Sure, you just happened to be bushwhacking in the park...I bet you never inhaled either.
ELH

Portland, OR

#15399 Aug 4, 2012
Kom2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus Himself "declared all foods clean" (Mark 7:19). Jesus later confirmed this in a vision to Peter (Acts 10:15). While the New Testament confirms that homosexuality is sinful, it clearly indicates the food laws to be null and void.
The disciple Mark, who wrote his Gospel at least 30 years after the death of Jesus ever heard Jesus speak. In fact the John the Apostle was the only disciple who actually knew Jesus and (interestingly) he never made any record of Jesus speaking about homosexuality or "adjustments" to the dietary laws.

The fact is that Jesus, who observed these laws all his life, "declared all foods clean"...is about as likely as the christian lore that sacramental wine represents the "blood of Christ"... The ingesting blood is strictly forbidden by the laws of Leviticus and the ideal that Jesus, an observant Jew, would have ever said this at a PASSOVER SEDER is preposterous.
Kom2 wrote:
God never hated shrimp. Rather, God disallowed the consumption of shrimp to distinguish the Israelites' diet from that of the surrounding nations, and likely due to the fact that since they are bottom-feeders, shrimp are really not very healthy.
As for your assertion that God didn't "hate" shrimp but (apparently) did "hate" pork the food laws given to Moses by God do not have anything to do with food saftey or health.

Since you care clearly clueless about your own religion my advice is that you get a flucking EDUCATION before you make blanket statements about mine.

Robsan5

La Mesa, CA

#15400 Aug 4, 2012
Kom2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kom, where is this quote in your bible?
Do add to the bible, it is a sin.

Robert
Kom2

Miami, FL

#15401 Aug 4, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
God never said anything. You are nuts.
My friend, but he did say it.
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.(NKJ, Leviticus 18:22)

If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.(NKJ, Leviticus 20:13)
Kom2

Miami, FL

#15402 Aug 4, 2012
<quoted text>
um... god never said that. you've had this all explained to you. didn't you read it?
the word 'abomination' never appears in the torah. what you're referring to is 'towáveh'... or taboo which is 'unclean in the temple'
My friend, In Old Testament times, homosexual activity was strongly associated with idolatrous cult prostitution as in 1 Kings 14:24, 15:12.(There was also cult prostitution by females.) In fact, the word "abomination," used in both mentions of homosexual acts in Leviticus, is a translation of the Hebrew word tow' ebah which, according to Strong's Greek/Hebrew Dictionary, means something morally disgusting.
Robsan5

La Mesa, CA

#15403 Aug 4, 2012
Kom2 wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend, but he did say it.
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.(NKJ, Leviticus 18:22)
If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.(NKJ, Leviticus 20:13)
Kom, where does the bible mention homosexual MARRIAGE?
Do not add to the bible; it is a sin.

Robert
Join Free

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
moviestarplanet free account! (Jul '13) 7 hr Lilia 599
News More than 1,000 backpacks, school supplies give... (Aug '10) 11 hr heaven 15
News Why Spanking High-School Students Is Dangerous (Oct '12) 13 hr Pubic Hair Itchy ... 2
News News 1 hour ago 4:10 a.m.First-graders cuffed, ... Fri Slammer 12
News Sticks, bug hunts and stargazing - '50 things' ... Fri Shirvell s Shrivel 14
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) Jul 28 Pay your taxes 31,934
News Fireman Sam's shocking scene Jul 28 naman 4
More from around the web