Should same-sex marriage become legal?

Sep 25, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: MLive.com

Between 2000 and 2005, the number of same-sex couples in the United States increased by more than 20 percent, according to the Williams Institute, a think tank concerned with laws and public policy related to sexual orientation.

Comments
12,541 - 12,560 of 15,279 Comments Last updated Jun 12, 2013

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2012

Judged:

Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>
And how could I overlook Sodom and Gomorrah? Were they on the right side of history?
That's easy. Because it never happened.

Who cares about fairy tales anyway?

“Who's Sane Wife am I?”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
But, you just don't want to share your beliefs, you want to impose them on others. Don't like the idea of gay marriage? Don't marry someone of the same sex. But other citizens shouldn't be denied equal rights because of your beliefs.
Beliefs are impose on others all the time..some don't believe in paying taxes..or putting people to death...on and on the list goes...doesn't mean laws aren't made, change, or broken all the time...that's the whole point in voting/protesting..etc...

“Who's Sane Wife am I?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose's Law:
Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?"
Anyone can deem another's argument not "real"...when avoiding a direct point...there are others who claim they should also have rights to children..that the attraction is just as natural as lesbian/gays and heterosexual...whether you like this line of agrument or not..it's a valid one..calling it moronic will not change the point..that if you're against this..you indeed want to impose your belief on others like everyone else..don't deny it's not one in the same..in order to foster your own personal stand on homosexual marriage..

“Who's Sane Wife am I?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

gummiebear wrote:
<quoted text>
and see I respect your opinion it's your belief believe to the best of your ability but still wish people will be as mature and understanding as you and with the whole legalizing pot is just stupid why is all I'm asking
I respect your opinion as well and enjoy how to express it..it really helps bring understanding to the discussion.

“Who's Sane Wife am I?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why shouldn't adults do what they please so long as nobody is hurt and no laws are broken?
Why should your religious beliefs control the lives of other Americans who do not have the same beliefs as you?
Exactly what harm is done by allowing same-sex marriage?
Will straights stop marrying?
Will straights all get divorced?
Will bank robberies increase?
Exactly what?
Robert
Society is formed on a collective scale...which not only deem what is legal, but also what is moral..and this country was built on religious beliefs (Judo-Christian)..right or wrong..we cannot deny that...obviously we have some pulling in one direction and others pulling in another...I take the stand..that moral decay destroys a nation..that homosexuality works against the natural design of human relationship/family which should be the foundation of societies..

“Who's Sane Wife am I?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Weak!
Lame!
You are an embarrassment to bigots everywhere.
Robert
Why do you guys used the word "bigot" a lot when speaking to someone with a different belief/opinion than you..is trying to use shaming supposed to work?

“Who's Sane Wife am I?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you must be constantly amused when your fellow bigots like Shady constantly use the mythical claim that same-sex marriage will some how damage opposite-sex marriage.
We live in a constitutional republic, set up by men far smarter than either of us. They, for the most part, did not follow your Judeo-Christian beliefs.
Instead of worrying about the downfall of western civilization, why don't you worry about the downfall of your own soul?
American culture and history has always been a bumpy road headed for increased civil liberties. Including civil rights for homosexuals just another landmark on our trip.
Robert
Robert
I don't take the stand that women's rights, civil rights for blacks, and inter-racial marriages is the same..in terms of viewing this from a religious point of view..as the Christian Bible never excluded the basic rights to the above mention...but the biblical belief does take a strong stance against homosexuality..

“Who's Sane Wife am I?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why shouldn't adults do what they please so long as nobody is hurt and no laws are broken?
You don't believe that..because homosexual marriage (for the most part) is/was "law breaking"...
so indeed..you believe in adults breaking the law if you yourself deem the laws shouldn't be followed...let's be honest here.

“Who's Sane Wife am I?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

dances with weebles wrote:
<quoted text>
what charlie chicken doesn't understand (among myriad other things) is that a society which doesn't change, grow and evolve constantly is a failed culture already. all it's waiting for is someone to come along and shovel the dirt in on top of it.
But all changes in society doesn't secure it's success either..many are it's downfalls.

“Who's Sane Wife am I?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you have no basis to claim any harm will come from same sex marriage - you're just afraid of change.
Duly noted.
We're traveling down a slippery slope in the legality of defining marriage (multiple wives or marrying an animal or child could be next).

“Your religion is NOT in charge”

Since: Nov 11

Columbus

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Who Sane Wife wrote:
<quoted text>We're traveling down a slippery slope in the legality of defining marriage (multiple wives or marrying an animal or child could be next).
That argument has been tried before - but nations that recognize SSM's have yet to face these issues. Also, while polygamy might be raised as a question... animals, children, and inanimate objects cannot consent - a necessary component of a committed relationship.

“Your religion is NOT in charge”

Since: Nov 11

Columbus

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Who Sane Wife wrote:
<quoted text>I don't take the stand that women's rights, civil rights for blacks, and inter-racial marriages is the same..in terms of viewing this from a religious point of view..as the Christian Bible never excluded the basic rights to the above mention...but the biblical belief does take a strong stance against homosexuality..
Actually, the bible was frequently referenced in regards to both of these issues. Woman were told to be silent and subserviant in Genesis 3:16, 1 Corinthians 14:34-36, Ephesians 5:22-24, Colossians 3:18, 1 Timothy 2:11-15, Titus 2:4-5, and 1 Peter 1:3.

Likewise, your religion was used to justify the abomonation of slavery in the exact same books. Please let me know if you would like the specific passages.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Who Sane Wife wrote:
<quoted text>We're traveling down a slippery slope in the legality of defining marriage (multiple wives or marrying an animal or child could be next).
Yup....that slippery slope is what you have in ().
Robsan5

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Charlie Feather wrote:
Were the proponents of the aristocracy during the French Revolution on the right side of history?
Were the proponents of King George on the right side of history?
Were the proponents of Nazism on the right side of history?
Were the proponents of Marxism on the right side of history?
What side of history are you on, Robert?
See above post,'Repression, oppression and persecution'.

Robert
Robsan5

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Who Sane Wife wrote:
<quoted text>You don't believe that..because homosexual marriage (for the most part) is/was "law breaking"...
so indeed..you believe in adults breaking the law if you yourself deem the laws shouldn't be followed...let's be honest here.
You're not making much sense here.
Same-sex couples can't get married until it is legal for them to get married. How is that 'law breaking'?

Robert
Robsan5

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>
And how could I overlook Sodom and Gomorrah? Were they on the right side of history?
Oh, I didn't know you wanted to have a discussion of fantasy lands...

Robert
Robsan5

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Who Sane Wife wrote:
<quoted text>Society is formed on a collective scale...which not only deem what is legal, but also what is moral..and this country was built on religious beliefs (Judo-Christian)..right or wrong..we cannot deny that...obviously we have some pulling in one direction and others pulling in another...I take the stand..that moral decay destroys a nation..that homosexuality works against the natural design of human relationship/family which should be the foundation of societies..
Can you present proof of your claims of your 'stand'?? Public policy should be based on more than just feelings....

Robert
Robsan5

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Who Sane Wife wrote:
<quoted text>I don't take the stand that women's rights, civil rights for blacks, and inter-racial marriages is the same..in terms of viewing this from a religious point of view..as the Christian Bible never excluded the basic rights to the above mention...but the biblical belief does take a strong stance against homosexuality..
Does the bible take 'a strong stance' against homosexuality, or the sex acts of homosexuals? They are two different things, right?

Robert

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>
The message gay marriage sends is that it is okay to be gay. But do we really want our children indulging in risky and morally decadent behavior?
No, we want our children to marry normally, to have children normally, raise them up normally in a normal family, and pass on the historic values and traditions of our country.
Gay marriage does none of that.
wtf is 'morally decadent behavior'?

'we've always done it like that' isn't a good reason for doing anything at all, you ditz.

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

Who Sane Wife wrote:
i think that you should go back and read your bible or the torah.

women are to be silent and to keep their heads covered in public. women aren't allowed to enter into the temple unless it is as a prostitute to be used during religious ceremonies.

blacks are to be subservient to whites in all ways, and to obey their masters

the creator placed each different species of person on a different continent so that they couldn't intermingle and to keep the blood pure.

but, there is absolutely nothing in the bible which could be honestly construed as being against homosexuality. anything that they say does was added into religious dogma, not the bible.

learn to read.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••