Safety Report: Protecting Your Childr...

Safety Report: Protecting Your Children from Sexual Predators - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA Ne...

There are 7 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Nov 1, 2012, titled Safety Report: Protecting Your Children from Sexual Predators - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA Ne.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Child sex abuse is often called a crime of secrecy and silence. However, studies find as many as 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 5 boys will become victims by the age of 18.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

HillbillyVa

Forest, VA

#2 Nov 2, 2012
So, a parents embarrassment is more important than arming a child with the weapons to protect themselves? Amazing...

None of this means anything however if the local court systems are only giving slaps to the hands of the offenders, as is done here. Virginia has the reputation of a very sex offender "friendly" state because of this very thing.
ORANGE

Newington, CT

#3 Nov 2, 2012
Really couldn't you just be happy there is a program out there to help children and adults with these kind of CRIMES!!! WHO CARES IF YOUR CHILD EMBARRASSES YOU AS LONG AS THEY ARE PROTCEDTED AND ARE SAFE. REALLY!!!
Get Real

Washington, DC

#4 Nov 2, 2012
ORANGE wrote:
Really couldn't you just be happy there is a program out there to help children and adults with these kind of CRIMES!!! WHO CARES IF YOUR CHILD EMBARRASSES YOU AS LONG AS THEY ARE PROTCEDTED AND ARE SAFE. REALLY!!!
The kids will be a lot safer if we executed first time offenders of tis terrible crime.
Gru

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Nov 2, 2012
HillbillyVa wrote:
So, a parents embarrassment is more important than arming a child with the weapons to protect themselves? Amazing...
None of this means anything however if the local court systems are only giving slaps to the hands of the offenders, as is done here. Virginia has the reputation of a very sex offender "friendly" state because of this very thing.
Greene County seems particularly "predator friendly".
Zoltar

United States

#8 Nov 5, 2012
Matt T. and the NBC29 team are the best in Charlottesville but this piece is really just feel-good puff that unfortunately serves to reinforce the false view that Foothills Child Advocacy Center (FCAC) exists solely to help abused children. FCAC likes to present itself a non-governmental, independent child welfare group who are experts in forensic child interview techniques. Unfortunately for our legal system they are none of these things. The truth is that the Child Advocacy Center (CAC) model followed by FCAC was created by a prosecutor for the sole purpose of improving his conviction rates in child abuse cases. The scheme he came up with is designed to remove accountability from the state, to preclude any actual independent investigation and to provide pseudo-scientific forensic interview techniques purpose designed to find that child abuse occurred, regardless of whether it actually did or not in order to bolster a prosecutor’s case and send the accused to jail, guilty or not. No search for the truth is done at the FCAC and while it is true that guilty people are probably more easily prosecuted due to their efforts it is equally true that their system has contributed to many hugely expensive and malicious prosecutions of completely innocent and falsely accused people. Understandably, lazy and incompetent prosecutors love this slickly marketed “quazi-government” organization and are more than happy to hide behind their falsely claimed “independence” and “expertise” instead of actually working to prove crimes have been committed by those they prosecute.

Would not the public be better served if reporters looked beyond the press releases and found out why public money is quietly diverted to this supposed “independent” non-profit to pay big salaries and employee perks. Why are WE paying for and supporting an organization that is designed to be unaccountable, has proven itself to be systemically biased and incompetent and yet continues to hold a dangerously influential position within our justice system.

We the people of Virginia and Albemarle County cannot afford this kind of waste and we deserve better than this. We deserve truly independent and competent investigations of these serious crimes and we deserve and should tolerate no less than honest, accountable and ethical commonwealth’s attorneys so that the truly guilty are rightfully punished and just as importantly that the truly innocent are not made victims. Maybe someday Albemarle.
Betty

Staunton, VA

#9 Dec 17, 2012
HillbillyVa wrote:
Why do they get away with being so sex offender friendly? I think it is true too. Had a problem long ago with just that.Why do they get away with that?
Michell Lindsey

Bellingham, WA

#11 Jan 3, 2013
I could use any and all information on what to do when the molester is still within my home, i am to afraid to leave him because i am co-dependent right now. please send anything that i can read to: Michell Lindsey
2511 Racine Pl
Bellingham, WA

Thank you all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Berkshire Carousel Opens to Much FanfareJul... 7 hr cops are degener... 1
moviestarplanet free account! (Jul '13) 10 hr aliii 575
News N.J. clears way for children of undocumented im... 11 hr Synque 12
News Rubin: Country club goes from - Yay, us' to - Y... 13 hr Ray 1
News Think of the children 15 hr IB DaMann 4
News Foster parent speaks out about DHS lawsuit (Feb '08) 17 hr NotAdhsfan 43
News Kids can explore the locks this summerSummer Da... 23 hr biz 1
More from around the web