25 St. Paul rec centers to be left after cuts

Full story: TwinCities.com

Depending on how you look at it, St. Paul's rec centers are either evolving or simply declining.
Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Oct 7, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
James

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

Not surprised Prosperity Rec will be demolished. Our whole community has been demolished as Dan Bostrom has been nothing more than a warm body on the City Council. What a shame! OH! and how about weeding and watering the trees on Phalen Blvd. It took one season to let that go to pots.
Michelle Bachmann

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

Sorry, we need those tax dollars to develop a little more high end retail east of the metro. Government should have never built those structures, because they rely on tax funding to stay open. Remember, Government is the problem, not the answer. Especially for you inner city dwellers.
stpaulj

Inver Grove Heights, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

We need the extra money for light rail, and bicycle lanes to congest traffic. It can't be as expensive to operate these rec centers as they make it out to be. I'm sure a normal citizen could go in there and find ways to save money and keep them open.
stpaulj

Inver Grove Heights, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

Why aren't more people outraged by this POS city council that we have? When I voted there were probablly only 10 people there when I was. Last month was the lowest voter turn out in how many years?I guess the majority of people don't care. We need to vote these people out!
James wrote:
Not surprised Prosperity Rec will be demolished. Our whole community has been demolished as Dan Bostrom has been nothing more than a warm body on the City Council. What a shame! OH! and how about weeding and watering the trees on Phalen Blvd. It took one season to let that go to pots.
Peter

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

Rec centers require a tax base. Ongoing hostility towards businesses and turning neighborhoods toxic to better off stable families via the sanctuary policy, the refugee program and high taxes, kills the tax base and, over time, kills nice things like rec centers. Liberal stew.
Isnt it Ironic

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

Tough times call for tough measures, but it is sad that when we want our kids off the streets these are the first things to be cut without so much as a whimper. 125 positions cut, so much for a city job being a secure job.

Sure, if were a police or fireman/paramedic we'd be protesting, but a park & rec worker?

By cutting back on park security they've already let the hoodlums take over - notice the spray paint on shelters.

How does this city, like any city, deal with the rotting inner core? As educated, working, tax paying, contributing members of society flee the inner city for the suburbs, leaving only the non-educated, non-working, non-tax paying, parasites who demand more and more government services?

Just like at the state capitol, when have we heard of cuts from within city hall - our "part-time" city council sharing an administrative aide, or the mayor with one less minion.
youngblood

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

James wrote:
Yeah he is old and crustly, time too move on. Wait until his kid becomes sheriff, the gangs will take over our parks. I live in ward 7 if you think Bostrom sucs, take a look at Lantry, she does nothing, except get fatter.
new guy

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

We have also just lost over 6% of our fire stations.

There will be no story on how the new "super-station" is actually replacing over 6% of YOUR fire protection.

A 6.25% REDUCTION in fire stations means a 6.25% chance that a firefighter is not as close to your emergency as he was last week.

But maybe we need to keep open more rec centers. I mena, what's the chance you'll need a fire station close to your neighborhood?
cheryl

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

when I was little we went to the rec-center to hang out or play sports and make friends and we all went their to see boys. when i was growing up we hung out at wilder and they were some good times and the workers are still working for the city. and as for closing the rec-centers where will the kids go? like sylvan if the go to rice they have to cross rice street and may get hit by a car, or Prosperity what is the closest rec-center by their? Hayden hights but it's still a far walk for a kids to go! What about the new buildings they are building when will they be cut if they keep closing rec-centers and where will the kids go? If we keep colseing rec-centers we will need more and more cops and jails!
low income

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

look at the 3 rec-centers that are going to be demolished they are all in low income area!
Lewis Sinclair

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

Yes, but we're going to have the Central Corridor. That'll bring prosperity and joy to all of us. Really. Chris Coleman, Tim Pawlenty, etc. would never deceive us about such a thing. They'd never lie to us. Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

As for the City Council, what needs to be said about them has already been said here. A finer rogues gallery hasn't been seen since the days of Boss Tweed in New York.
Joe Merlot

Elk Grove Village, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

cheryl wrote:
when I was little we went to the rec-center to hang out or play sports and make friends and we all went their to see boys. when i was growing up we hung out at wilder and they were some good times and the workers are still working for the city. and as for closing the rec-centers where will the kids go? like sylvan if the go to rice they have to cross rice street and may get hit by a car, or Prosperity what is the closest rec-center by their? Hayden hights but it's still a far walk for a kids to go! What about the new buildings they are building when will they be cut if they keep closing rec-centers and where will the kids go? If we keep colseing rec-centers we will need more and more cops and jails!
No Cheryl, you need policies that will bring more responsible families that parent their children effectively. The ongoing anti-buiness, tax the wealthy policies are serving to run the jobs and responsible families from your city leaving just those who have no option to, but to stay in St Paul and try to survive. Unfortunately, these people tend to be under educated and ill prepared for the job market and are forced to spend a disporpotionate amount of their time working to provide for their family leaving the family to raise itself. As the policies that are cheered and reveered in St Paul continue, this will accelerate and get worse. The remaining residents need to get serious about reviving St Paul and that will require a broadening of perspectives and a softening of the tax the wealthy policies. Regardless, it will be a long and painfull path back to prosperity in St Paul that will require some short term consessions as St Paul has fallen quite a way from their hey day of your time. I do recall that time as well. I have two generations of families that grew up in the Battle Creek area and none live there anymore because of the cost of living their and the general decline of the populis.
Hmmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

The class war continues...
Rumblebee

Cottage Grove, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

The city needs to change with the times. The rec center system as it was developed served a baby boom generation with far more children than the city currently has. Those families with 5-10 children just are not as common as they were in the 50's and 60's. Thus the city doesn't need as many rec centers. Many of them simply are not used enough to justify their cost.

What the city needs now is some leaders who can develop a better parks and rec system. Hayden Heights playground was built in a stupid spot. It is a block from Maplewood to the north, and a couple blocks from Maplewood to the east. If this playground had been combined with Hayden Heights school, it would conveniently serve far more citizens. Sell the land that Hayden Heights playground sits on to a developer. Use the money to buy land next to Hayden Heights school. Build a new center there that can be used by Hayden Heights kids and Prosperity kids.
Sell the unused tennis courts along Maryland near Lake Phalen. Someone would love to build a commercial property in this underused area. Put the money in a trust to run a rec center or two. Good leaders can save this system.

Oh by the way, what happened to the great rec center that Joan Kroc wanted to GIVE to the city as part of her estate. Oh that's right, the do-gooder libs wanted nothing to do with it because that nasty Salvation Army might have put a cross above the front door. Thanks for nothing do-gooders.
carolroberts

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

new guy wrote:
We have also just lost over 6% of our fire stations.
There will be no story on how the new "super-station" is actually replacing over 6% of YOUR fire protection.
A 6.25% REDUCTION in fire stations means a 6.25% chance that a firefighter is not as close to your emergency as he was last week.
But maybe we need to keep open more rec centers. I mena, what's the chance you'll need a fire station close to your neighborhood?
Who Cares, a bunch of over weight raceist cry babies. Plus I have homeowners insurance.
fire buff

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

carolroberts,

Nice attempt at sarcasm.

If you were actually serious, please post evidence to support your claims of racism (raceism.)

Also, ask the paretnts of the kids on the burn unit at Gillette how well their homeowners insurance takes away the pain...
as if

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Plus, don't forget that your insurance rates are affected by how close you are to the fire department, among other things.

If you are in the area of old station 10 or station 1, you might just see your rates go up now that you do not have a fire house nearby any more.

But rec centers are more easily linked to emotion.
THE CHILDREN! PLEASE WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
rec centers and libraries

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

This is where kids go whose parents can't or won't (yes - there actually are BOTH of those situations) provide them a safe place after school - these places or the streets. There are still almost twice as many rec centers in St Paul as there are libraries after these closures.

Every comment section and blog I see reminds me of the third thing you can count on beyond death and taxes...that few people want to look at the facts, and every single taxpayer is unhappy with how some tax revenues are spent.
Under-marketed

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

I'm an active user of one of St. Paul's rec centers and I agree with the earlier comment about them being painfully underutilized (many if not all). I lived in the city for almost a decade before I started using the rec center entirely because I didn't know what it/they had to offer. Now maybe I should have taken it upon myself to physically step in the building and ask, but in this day and age of easy information access I think they need to market themselves more and better. Granted marketing and advertising costs money, but if they get more people in the building then they will generate more user-fees and cover those costs. The rec centers seem all to be run fairly independently, each offering different classes, facility equipment etc. They should be marketed more as a package, like community education, and their offerings distributed more widely through a better/stronger website, home mailings, brochures posted at similar institutions like the library, etc. Until residents know what they all offer, they will continue to be underused and won't generate the user-income they need to survive.
John Dreshler

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

It's time to close down the St. Paul golf courses and open the land up for development. The courses are located in prime areas and development can add significantly to the tax base.

There's no financial justification for keeping such large tracts off of the tax rolls.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••