Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 32019 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Top Hat

Chicago, IL

#18384 Oct 28, 2011
Interesting nugget from the grapevine. Back in late August or early September the SEA contacted each candidate with a request to fill out a online survey so they could screen them for recommendation to its members. The chatter is that Petroni and Rigano politely and respectfully declined the possible SEA endorsement in order to remain independent. Also the survey was obviously slanted toward early SEA favorites Babb and Gentry campaign talking points with questions such as "Describe your personal experience and involvement with the public schools within the past five years that would qualify you to be a school board member, including enrollment decisions involving your own children and family." and "Do your children attend public schools? If not why not?" The survey looked more like a way to use answers as talking points for the SEA members than it did as a means to gather information for a genuine endorsement from the SEA.

Here we are a little more than a week from election day and he SEA has not publicly issued a recommendation. After Babb and Ellis have done about everything under the sun short of kissing SEA officers union rings to get the endorsement, the SEA has not issued an endorsement. After sending out surveys to give a endorsement to their members, it is interesting that they have not endorsed any of the remaining 4 candidates that have not declined the possible endorsement. It would appear that the SEA won't issue an endorsement after reviewing the submitted survey answers, watching their own debate and how the candidates have presented themselves during the campaign thus far. Have the early SEA favorites fallen out of favor with the SEA? If the SEA won't endorse Ellis, Gregg, Kruse, or Babb why should anyone else vote for them. There are 2 seats open and 4 candidates still seeking the SEA endorsement, but the SEA remains quiet. Is the SEA sending a silent message to the candidates that don't have a message? Why would the SEA choose not to endorse a former SEA president, SEA VP and SEA Treasurer? Why would they not endorse former BOE president Kruse? Why won't they endorse NFSS BOE Liaison Lisa Babb? Why won't they endorse Gentry Ellis who "has the teachers backs"? Could it be that the SEA wants to endorse Petroni and Rigano?

If they SEA won't endorse those that want their endorsement why would you vote for them? I will be taking the silent lack of an endorsement from the SEA for Gregg, Ellis, Babb and Kruse as another reason to vote for David Petroni and Jim Rigano on November 8th.
Community Rep

Cincinnati, OH

#18385 Oct 28, 2011
Top Hat wrote:
Interesting nugget from the grapevine. Back in late August or early September the SEA contacted each candidate with a request to fill out a online survey so they could screen them for recommendation to its members. The chatter is that Petroni and Rigano politely and respectfully declined the possible SEA endorsement in order to remain independent. Also the survey was obviously slanted toward early SEA favorites Babb and Gentry campaign talking points with questions such as "Describe your personal experience and involvement with the public schools within the past five years that would qualify you to be a school board member, including enrollment decisions involving your own children and family." and "Do your children attend public schools? If not why not?" The survey looked more like a way to use answers as talking points for the SEA members than it did as a means to gather information for a genuine endorsement from the SEA.
Here we are a little more than a week from election day and he SEA has not publicly issued a recommendation. After Babb and Ellis have done about everything under the sun short of kissing SEA officers union rings to get the endorsement, the SEA has not issued an endorsement. After sending out surveys to give a endorsement to their members, it is interesting that they have not endorsed any of the remaining 4 candidates that have not declined the possible endorsement. It would appear that the SEA won't issue an endorsement after reviewing the submitted survey answers, watching their own debate and how the candidates have presented themselves during the campaign thus far. Have the early SEA favorites fallen out of favor with the SEA? If the SEA won't endorse Ellis, Gregg, Kruse, or Babb why should anyone else vote for them. There are 2 seats open and 4 candidates still seeking the SEA endorsement, but the SEA remains quiet. Is the SEA sending a silent message to the candidates that don't have a message? Why would the SEA choose not to endorse a former SEA president, SEA VP and SEA Treasurer? Why would they not endorse former BOE president Kruse? Why won't they endorse NFSS BOE Liaison Lisa Babb? Why won't they endorse Gentry Ellis who "has the teachers backs"? Could it be that the SEA wants to endorse Petroni and Rigano?
If they SEA won't endorse those that want their endorsement why would you vote for them? I will be taking the silent lack of an endorsement from the SEA for Gregg, Ellis, Babb and Kruse as another reason to vote for David Petroni and Jim Rigano on November 8th.
That is truly a funny post. Have you been living in a cave? This is a great example of the mess this country is in. Anyone over the age of 17 can vote. Even people with the lack of skills to do any research at all: "I think I'll just vote for a candidate that refused to answer questions b/c the SEA won't endorse someone." This is a very funny means of deciding who to vote for. So will you be drawing a pretty picture on the ballot to decide how to vote for the other issues and hope maybe some of your drawing falls over the top of one of the boxes? And we wonder why this country is in the shape it is in.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#18386 Oct 28, 2011
Community Rep wrote:
<quoted text>
That is truly a funny post. Have you been living in a cave? This is a great example of the mess this country is in. Anyone over the age of 17 can vote. Even people with the lack of skills to do any research at all: "I think I'll just vote for a candidate that refused to answer questions b/c the SEA won't endorse someone." This is a very funny means of deciding who to vote for. So will you be drawing a pretty picture on the ballot to decide how to vote for the other issues and hope maybe some of your drawing falls over the top of one of the boxes? And we wonder why this country is in the shape it is in.
It is in the shape it is because people like you that can't see the forest because of the trees. I think you missed the point that Top Hat was trying to make. Ya might want to reread it and see if the forest becomes clearer. If only those dang trees would get out of the way...lol.
check it out voter

Cincinnati, OH

#18387 Oct 28, 2011
voter wrote:
<quoted text>
fyi...the boe just approved the 5 yr forcast at their last meeting....if you were THERE, you could have seen it. lmao
ONCE AGAIN the finance guys drag their feet to get the data posted until the LAST DAY POSSIBLE. No credibiltiy at all! none. They could not even fcst the last 2 months of fy 11 worth a darn.
deadline

Cincinnati, OH

#18388 Oct 28, 2011
check it out voter wrote:
<quoted text>
ONCE AGAIN the finance guys drag their feet to get the data posted until the LAST DAY POSSIBLE. No credibiltiy at all! none. They could not even fcst the last 2 months of fy 11 worth a darn.
there was a deadline that was met...impatient twit
Question

Cleveland, OH

#18389 Oct 28, 2011
voter wrote:
<quoted text>
10-1 you are part of the home schooling bunch who don't give a damn about our public schools
Aren't you 100% the seventh grade teacher spreading lies about one of the parents in our school district who is currently running for Springboro School Board?

How would you feel about yourself as a Springboro teacher IF your students modeled YOUR behavior and told lies about YOU throughout the community?
deadline

Cincinnati, OH

#18390 Oct 28, 2011
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you 100% the seventh grade teacher spreading lies about one of the parents in our school district who is currently running for Springboro School Board?
How would you feel about yourself as a Springboro teacher IF your students modeled YOUR behavior and told lies about YOU throughout the community?
I call it as I see it....no mattter how painful it may be...
Community Rep

Cincinnati, OH

#18391 Oct 28, 2011
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the accusation you refer to is that "sports and activities which do not prepare students for college will be cut" if P/R are elected. Too scared to refer to it in writing? It's all over the blog and all over the community. I don't think we need to point one finger in one direction by dragging a teacher through the mud on this issue. Again, that idea didn't go over well, so we act like it didn't happen. Now we deflect to blame a teacher for a comment made about a "parent in the district". We don't mention that this parent only resides in this district, doesn't send his children to this district's schools, but is running for board on a platform of children first. His children first, not yours! Back pedal, deflect, back pedal, deflect, back pedal, deflect.
Question

Cleveland, OH

#18392 Oct 28, 2011
...only resides in this district?
there's no lie there.

...one finger in one direction?

there's only ONE teacher pointing lies in one direction.

How would you feel about yourseelf as a Springboro teacher IF your students modeled YOUR behavior of telling lies about YOU throughout the community?

The parent who is running for School Board is telling no lies.

The teacher who influences OUR school children in the classroom IS telling lies.

How do you think parents feel about teachers who are not good role models for children enrolled in our school district?
what will happen

Euclid, OH

#18393 Oct 29, 2011
Here's a question for you. If what is likely to happen really happens, i.e. Petroni and Rigano get elected AND Issue 2 fails, which current polls indicate it will by a huge number, how are the "12 steppers" gonna implement their plan? Most of their ideas assume the unions are going to fall in line with their way of thinking, but what I think Petroni and Rigano fail to realize is that if there is no incentive for the unions to negotiate (in this case SB 5) and the fact that they are backed by a huge organization (OEA and NEA) which is able and may be willing to fund them during a strike given the national media attention Issue 2 has garnered, what happens to the plan? Rigano has been on the board before and well knows that the current contract is the starting basis for any further negotiations. The plan they want to implement assumes the union is somehow broken to the point that they will be willing to negotiate a contract from ground zero, which IMO ain't happening.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#18394 Oct 29, 2011
Community Rep wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the accusation you refer to is that "sports and activities which do not prepare students for college will be cut" if P/R are elected.
But that is not what was said, now was it? Some posted the verbatim answers given in regards to this issue. Perhaps you should review them for your own clarification. Or provide a source for your post…otherwise just more negative rumor mill campaigning by those that have nothing positive to say.
Community Rep wrote:
<quoted text>Too scared to refer to it in writing?
Nope,(see below) but I won't repeat gossip and falsehoods. The answers to the questions regarding this issue have been posted. Can you provide a legitimate source for your post?
Community Rep wrote:
<quoted text>It's all over the blog and all over the community.

Of course it is, because of fear mongering gossips like you that would rather spread falsehoods instead of talking positive about the candidates they support. But when you don't have anything positive to say, I guess you resort to this type of "campaigning." Care to give any objective positive reasons to vote for anyone other than P/R?
Community Rep wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think we need to point one finger in one direction by dragging a teacher through the mud on this issue.

Why not? Is that not what this 7th grade math teacher is doing? Seems you are ...how did you put it? oh yea..."Back pedal, deflect, back pedal, deflect, back pedal, deflect." How about providing a legit source of this rumor if you don't think "we need to point one finger in one direction by dragging a teacher through the mud on this issue."
Community Rep wrote:
<quoted text>Again, that idea didn't go over well, so we act like it didn't happen. Now we deflect to blame a teacher for a comment made about a "parent in the district".
Where should blame lay for the start of this false rumor?

Here, lemme put it on the line for you. Instead relying on a teacher lying and fear mongering to her young students, who then go tell their parents, who tell their neighbors, who tell a friend, who tells a B,K,E,G, supporter, who tells you to blog it and spread it...let's try this. YOU can be the hero here, YOU can clear this up and it will be my pride on the line if YOU can do one simple thing. Give a single legitimate, on record, source for this rumor and I will do the following.

If YOU can come up with a single LEGITIMATE on record source that shows either Mr. Rigano or Mr. Petroni ever said a single word about CUTTING any sport or related activity I will kiss your backside, in an outfit of your choosing, at the K&W, during the Christmas in Springboro Parade.

AND...on top of all that...I will give you 30 minutes to draw a crowd to watch.

Up to the challenge? C'mon, a single legitimate, on the record, source, that's it...just one. What do YOU have to lose? Put the cheese on the cracker and YOU can be the hero. Or are YOU too scared to put your money where your mouth is?

Vote for positive thinking, vote for David Petroni and Jim Rigano.
lets just get along

Cleveland, OH

#18395 Oct 29, 2011
voter wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm more anti p/r than pro babb.....I'm still very concerned about a p/r/kohls majority. I've heard kohls rhetoric, and its scares the bejeepers out of me the things she's trying to do to our schools...like I said...I see xenia in our future with strikes, etc. if they are able to team up.
A YES vote on Issue 2 can take away your fear of "xenia in our future with strikes" not only in Springboro public schools; but throughout Ohio's public schools! Now is not the time to allow the UNION to strike forcing our teachers to walk out on our children!

And now it is up to Ohio voters who are concerned for the very best public education possible for our children NOT to turn our backs on our children and their teachers on November 8th!

When Teachers' UNIONS strike, it is the UNIONS decision to FORCE our children's teachers out of the classroom and walk away from our children. That's Not Fair!

Our teachers are valued public servants who perform a vital service--educating our childlren. And they derserve to be well-compensated.

BUT when disputes over compensation and benefits arise, their UNIONS should not be allowed to close OUR public schools and sacrifice OUR children's public education.

YES on ISSUE 2 preserves collective bargaining for teachers, but it prevents their UNIONS from going on strike AGAINST the families and taxpaying homeowners in their school district. Instead of walking out on OUR children, UNIONS will be asked to RESOLVE their concerns at the bargaining table with our elected school board members.

YES on ISSUE 2 Restores Fairness; Respects Taxpayers; Requires Accountability

FOR REASONABLE REFORM THAT KEEPS OUR TEACHERS FROM BEING FORCED BY THEIR UNIONS TO WALK OUT ON OUR CHILDREN....JUST VOTE YES ON ISSUE 2.
lets just get along

Cleveland, OH

#18396 Oct 29, 2011
what will happen wrote:
Here's a question for you. If what is likely to happen really happens, i.e. Petroni and Rigano get elected AND Issue 2 fails, which current polls indicate it will by a huge number, how are the "12 steppers" gonna implement their plan? Most of their ideas assume the unions are going to fall in line with their way of thinking, but what I think Petroni and Rigano fail to realize is that if there is no incentive for the unions to negotiate (in this case SB 5) and the fact that they are backed by a huge organization (OEA and NEA) which is able and may be willing to fund them during a strike given the national media attention Issue 2 has garnered, what happens to the plan? Rigano has been on the board before and well knows that the current contract is the starting basis for any further negotiations. The plan they want to implement assumes the union is somehow broken to the point that they will be willing to negotiate a contract from ground zero, which IMO ain't happening.
Government unions are failing to realize that Obama's policies are failing our country. Obama wants us to do things HIS way? Wants government unions to force our teachers to walk out on our children's public education; even though government union workers make 43.4% higher on average than workers in the private sector?(American enterprise institute: public vs. private compensation in OH, 9/14/11)

As we have all seen on the highly emotional ANTI-TRUTH TV ads distorting the truth about issues of restoring fairness, respecting taxpayers, and requiring accountability;

Government Unions don't want to talk about economical facts:

such as our state is broke because of 400,000 jobs leaving our state and leaving behind families that cannot afford to pay more taxes for government services.

Government Unions JUST WANT OUR MONEY!

They make 43.4% higher on average than workers in the private sector (American Enterprise Institute, public vs. private compensation in OH, 9/14/11)
BUT THAT'S NOT ENOUGH FOR GOVERNMENT UNIONS!

Government unions typically pay far less for their own health insurance coverage than most other Ohioans.
STILL NOT ENOUGH!

Government unions get guaranteed retirement plans.
MOST OF US DON'T GET THAT!

They get automatic pay increases just for showing up!
DO YOU HAVE THAT AT YOUR JOB?

Sure, they have to keep raising our taxes to pay for it.
BUT, THAT'S OUR PROBLEM--NOT THEIRS.(teachers union brags on this post that they have the NEA big money backing them; and what can we do to keep teachers union from stabbing our children's education in the back!)

YES on Issue 2 puts an end to the spending spree.

NO WONDER GOVERNMENT UNIONS WANT OHIOANS TO VOTE NO!

Obama want us to do things HIS way?

YES ON ISSUE 2 IS OUR CHANCE TO DO THINGS OUR WAY!

We can do things differently in Ohio. We can do things Better in Ohio! VOTE YES ON ISSUE 2! It's the right thing to do for Ohio!
Watching

United States

#18397 Oct 29, 2011
When was the last time The union in boro was even close to striking? If kohls-petroni-rigano get a majority........they will bring them closer to a strike then they have ever been. They will force one. That's exactly what they want.....make the teachers the bad guys. They want to clean house to get bargain basement priced new teachers. Ever heard of Little Miami school district? Or what is left of it? Same thing is at work here. Wake up people. This isn't a little 'ol school board election. Bigger forces at work. Tea party trio set on picking a part this district until it's little miami #2. They are out to wreck your schools. All the people on here ready to attack this post in 3.....2........1......are part of it too.:). God help your teachers. They need the protection of a union from those three.
Livin in 5 Points

Miamisburg, OH

#18398 Oct 29, 2011
deadline wrote:
<quoted text>
I call it as I see it....no mattter how painful it may be...
Along with altering your topix name whenever you feel cornered, apparently you do a fairly decent job singing late night duets at North Park's amphitheater with Lisa Babb!
Jimmy the Weasel

Springfield, OH

#18399 Oct 29, 2011
Livin in 5 Points wrote:
<quoted text>
Along with altering your topix name whenever you feel cornered, apparently you do a fairly decent job singing late night duets at North Park's amphitheater with Lisa Babb!
I heard they will do it again tonight in their Halloween costumes... Babbs will be dressed as Beaulah Ballbricker and Maney as Salvatore (the teacher) Gambino. He was going to dress as Jimmy Hoffa but the Mayor showed up in that costume so he had to change.

Since: Oct 09

Springboro, OH

#18400 Oct 29, 2011
Jimmy the Weasel wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard they will do it again tonight in their Halloween costumes... Babbs will be dressed as Beaulah Ballbricker and Maney as Salvatore (the teacher) Gambino. He was going to dress as Jimmy Hoffa but the Mayor showed up in that costume so he had to change.
That's some funny stuff right there. I love Springboro Politics!

Since: Oct 11

Springfield, OH

#18401 Oct 29, 2011
book keeper wrote:
whoever the Johantges vote for, I am voting the opposite way. Never met such spiteful creatures.
WOW! I thought that I was the only person who thought the same about Mr. Johantges..... has he ever been nice???

Since: Oct 11

Springfield, OH

#18402 Oct 29, 2011
Watching wrote:
When was the last time The union in boro was even close to striking? If kohls-petroni-rigano get a majority........they will bring them closer to a strike then they have ever been. They will force one. That's exactly what they want.....make the teachers the bad guys. They want to clean house to get bargain basement priced new teachers. Ever heard of Little Miami school district? Or what is left of it? Same thing is at work here. Wake up people. This isn't a little 'ol school board election. Bigger forces at work. Tea party trio set on picking a part this district until it's little miami #2. They are out to wreck your schools. All the people on here ready to attack this post in 3.....2........1......are part of it too.:). God help your teachers. They need the protection of a union from those three.
Please explain the reference to 'Little Miami Schools'
Community Rep

Cleveland, OH

#18403 Oct 30, 2011
First things First! If, we the Levy First candidates...Lisa Babb, Gentry Ellis, Jane Gregg and Mike Kruse...are selected on November 8th to join the Springboro School Board, we the Levy First big blue crew will reset district taxpayers priorities to Levy First...No transparency...No accountability...and hell yes! WE WILL PASS THAT NEXT UNNECESSARY LEVY FOR SCOTT MANEY! Pillage on and romp that vote for the Levy First union agenda!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Child care choices limited for those working ou... 10 hr CodeTalker 13
News Talking to Your Children about Transgender 11 hr TerriB1 1
News Three Children Among 25 Undocumented Immigrants... 18 hr josh 12
News Deportation tears apart family of 9 22 hr Erich 1
News Joe Guzzardi: DACA Mires Donald Trump in Swamp,... Sun Wildchild 3
News Last Place on Earth closing Sun Talkischeap 11
News My child's friend has head lice -- what should ... (Jan '08) Sep 17 weapon X 164
More from around the web