Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
14,921 - 14,940 of 31,103 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
esc has 2 supts

Urbana, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

why not pay one of them to take over?
they both make 145-150 each, this is ok after the baker pay
why do schools need money when you have a cash rich esc
Are you kidding me

Batavia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

Do you know that Kelly Kohls has a cleaning lady for her own home?? Now let me understand this....here is a lady who has filed personal bankruptcy and stiffed creditors out of hundreds of thousands of dollars......she does not pay her debts, but still pays a individual to clean her home??? C'mon Kelly, doesn't financial reform start at home??? Clean the house yourself and put that money towards some of your creditors that you are stiffing!! Show us that you have SOME fiscal discipline and common sense in your personal life before you attempt to tell a school district how to make cuts to live within a budget!!!

Since: May 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

boroDad@@ it go's to pattern of behavior - BOE has not changed pattern and we as voters should not change our pattern -VOTE them out-
Not Kidding

Middletown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

Are you kidding me wrote:
Do you know that Kelly Kohls has a cleaning lady for her own home?? Now let me understand this....here is a lady who has filed personal bankruptcy and stiffed creditors out of hundreds of thousands of dollars......she does not pay her debts, but still pays a individual to clean her home??? C'mon Kelly, doesn't financial reform start at home??? Clean the house yourself and put that money towards some of your creditors that you are stiffing!! Show us that you have SOME fiscal discipline and common sense in your personal life before you attempt to tell a school district how to make cuts to live within a budget!!!
Springboro Voters elected, in November 2009, Dr.Kelly Kohls to help us "Clean Our School House!" and Voters are applauding her accomplishments and will continue offering full support and respect to our highly-popular-locally-elected official, Dr. Kelly Kohls.

Since Dr. Kohls has been elected to the BOE, she has reminded our school district leaders that the board is NOT listening to the community. Dr. Kohls has NOT stated that she will FIGHT the taxpayers for more of our household budget to continue funding EXTRAS for the school district. Dr. Kohls has NOT told her fellow citizens that the BOE demands us to "give up a few more dollars a day" in sacrifice to the deamnds of Springboro Teachers Union activists' agenda.

Dr. Kohls does not tell Springboro voters that we have to sacrifice "living within our own financial means" in order to continue paying huge amounts to SUPPLEMENTAL CONTRACTS for our SPRINGBORO TEACHERS to take fancy field trips to Washington and Camp Kern at the expense of taxpayers household budget.

Dr. Kohls has RESPECTFULLY requested, of our now newly resigned Treasurer, at public school board meetings that agenda items presented for approval, be presented to board members and what it costs taxpayers, BEFORE the teachers are actually ON the JOB. As an overburdened taxpayer in this school district, I'm still trying to figure out what is a supplemental "Pride Committee 1/2 contract", listed TWICE, on the recent agenda, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, what is it COSTING taxpayers, if anything.

Who Knows where our money is going or if the school district really needs more money for EDUCATING our children when over and over these "agenda items" are presented to the board by the School district admininstrators (superintendent and treasurer)to simply "rubber stamp."

Dr. Kelly Kohls did not repeatedly tell Springboro voters that NO raises had been received by Springboro ADMINISTRATORS; BUT that's exactly the un-true MYTH that our pro-levy neighbors projected in order to SCARE our district into suffering "brain drain" if a fifth levy failed.

And who are YOU to self righteously ENVY the money for YOUR self interests that Dr. Kelly Kohls is providing OPPORTUNITY for a cleaning lady to earn?

Now is the time for Springboro and Township Neighbors to STOP Micro Managing personal household budgets and turn our ATTENTION and ENERGY toward getting our SPRINGBORO SCHOOL HOUSE Budget reformed in the BEST interest of ALL community members.
Not Kidding

Middletown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

Boroman54 wrote:
boroDad@@ it go's to pattern of behavior - BOE has not changed pattern and we as voters should not change our pattern -VOTE them out-
NOW IS THE TIME TO "VOTE THEM OUT!"

As good citizens, we MUST respect the free election of 2009 and our locally elected BOE member Scott Anderson (term expires Jan.2014) but the good news is, according to BOE bios... Next year allows citizens opportunity to REPLACE two board members.

Mr. Kruse, BOE president, states in the Springboro Sun, "We're going through tough times." Tough financial times calls for Tough finacial cuts, Mr. Kruse: BEFORE asking citizens who are facing "tough times" to vote yes to increased taxes.

Once again, Mr. Kruse, here is the reminder of your TOUGH times that Springboro resident amd Ohio state senator, Shannon Jones, warned about in the DDN, June 30th article (which was BEFORE you pushed the proposed tax increase onto the November 2 ballot):

"Good peosple and good programs will be IMPACTED by the upcming tough choices that MUST be made. Ohioans CANNOT afford MORE taxes."

Mr. Kruse, Good school board elected leaders LISTEN to the advice and counsel of ALL board members who are representative of all voters), NOT just the board members with whom YOU personally agree. As we turn the calendar page to 2011, is that a ticking clock growing louder?
Not Kidding

Middletown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

This is unbelievable pettiness from both sides. Now is the TIME to Say Thank You to: TELL IT LIKE IT IS:

"Yes, Ellis is pro-levy and Kohls is anti-levy. Their personal lives are irrelevant. What they do as board members is relevant. Right now, Kohls speaks for the majority of Springboro Schools taxpayers and the majority rules. We need to concentrate on the real issue - the need to cut unnecessary and wasteful spending by the school board, school administration, and the unions. I have made suggestions to that effect and we need to have more suggestions from both sides, and the school board needs to act on these suggestions. We will not get anywhere until we do this. Anything else is just a needless distraction."

If I may add one more BOE name to the names of Ellis and Kohls, it would be Scott Anderson.
As good citizens and role models for our children, it is our duty to Respect these officials, and then in due process, Vote out the board members who do not repsect the will of the people. It is the American Way and there is no better way.

Now is the time to turn our attention to cost savings suggestions while maintaining our tradition of excellent schools and quality comunity living for all residents of Springboro and our Townships.

And from the understanding of many voters, it appears that the EXTRA expense of supplemental contracts, in addition to teachers' generous salaries, is a LUXURY for teachers that TAXPAYERS are no longer willing to pay for during these tough times for us all.
Not Kidding

Middletown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

Had enough already wrote:
We have a union and an administration that have done very well for themselves under the current system. Accordingly, we should expect strong opposition when attempting to get changes made. We will have to hold the BOE's feet to the fire if we expect to see any significant changes. We need to be reasonable in our expectations about how quickly that change can be implemented.
The teachers currently pay no more than 15% of the cost of their health insurance. In my opinion, a more reasonable percentage is 30% whcih is more typical of what someone pays in the private sector. This will not change overnight, but I do think it is reasonable over the next three years to raise the percentage paid by the teachers by 5% per year until they reach the 30%. In addition, the benefits in the plan need to be scrutinized to make sure that we are not providing them a platinium coverage. I don't want them to have crappy insurance, but I don't want them to have the best plan that (your and my) money can buy.
We currently pay 10% of the teacher and administrators' pay toward their retirement. I know of no private company that contributes that large of a precentage toward their empoloyee's retirement. I think we should reduce it 1% per year until it is at 7%.
Teachers can currently roll 275 days of sick time forward which is about 15 years worth of sick time. Again, there is no company in the private sector that provides such a benefit. Most teachers when they retire cash the unused days in at 25 cents on the dollar and walk away with an avaerage of $20k. We may need to grandfather teachers that are a certain number of years from retirement, but this policy needs to be amended.
I know that the SEA and the administrators will cry bloody murder because these changes would amount to a cut in pay. It is not my fault that prior BOEs were asleep at the wheel and let things get so out of hand. As the former Delphi workers if they regret killing the goose that laid the golden egg. They had a real wake up call when teh @#$@ hit the fan. You see taxpayers refusing to continue to fund these perks and pay levels. I do value teachers and the work that they do, but their payscale combined with their benefits are unsustainable and must be changed. Yes, I have children in the district, and no I am not afraid of losing the best and brightest teachers. Times have changed, and there will not be any districts that can afford to pay folks like they used to.
Had Enough Already? You Betcha!

Now is the time to send a clear message to our double dipping Springboro Schools employees... You Can't CONTINUE Draining the WELL From Which You Already So Heavily Drink.

Now is the time to send a clear message to our BOE president to provide leadership and lead our BOE to reform our budget. Each one of these double dippers should be "let go" from active payroll and efforts made to hire school employees at a more reasonable "beginning their career" fair and substantial salary, plus fair and reasonable benefits. There's a wise old saying to keep in mind during these quickly changing times: Don't put New
Wine in Old Wineskins. In other words, we can't implement NEW Ideas to meet today's educational challenges until we replace leadership with the Same old leadership styles of the past.
Not Kidding

Middletown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

BoroDad wrote:
Hey JC...
Old news. Yawn.
Time to wake up to what's happening now. Enough is Enough of "just trust the educators." Now is the time for voters to demand transparency and full disclosure of nothing but the truth about our state audit; and the half-truths (if even half) that our school district leaders are telling us.

"The Performance Audit conducted by the State Auditor in July 2009 highlights that tax payers “PICK UP” the 10% employee share of each administrator's retirement (STRS) contribution. This is effectively a 10% salary bump since the employee is not making this payment. The Auditor points out that Springboro's administrator salaries exceed those of peer districts, yet the district still provides this benefit for all its administrators.

Eliminating the pick-up benefit for non-senior administrators would save approximately $178,482 (10% of 2011 wages above) per year. In contrast, the district estimates the cost of restoring high school bussing is $150,000 per year. Educate Springboro believes Springboro Schools should adopt the Auditor's recommendation and redirect $170,000 per year to reinstate high school busing or provide another necessary educational service.
May Flower

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

Instead of bashing & knocking Kohls, why don't you take equal time to take the other 4 board members to task?
Those 4 are the ones not doing the very important aspect of their jobs, which is demanding consistant accountability of this district's administration.
So because the other 4 aren't accomplishing their responsibilities to the district taxpayers in this way, Kelly Kohls naturally senses this void, and thus the reason why she unfairly carries almost all of the burden of keeping administrators' various decision making in check.

Unfortunately, X/4 of our current board is underqualified to replicate the same quality of watch dog work Kohls has done & is doing.
The prevailing atmosphere of distortion for so has been that the board is accountable to the administration, not the other way around. In my estimation, this is a Baker-era relic that needs to be remedied before things move forward!
Biblical Truth

Middletown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Hypocrite??? My definition of a hypocrite is an individual who stiffs creditors out of hundreds of thousands of dollars, but then attempts to dictate how a school district spends their money!! That is THE TRUTH!
Judging Others (Matthew 7:1-6 "Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION, Copyright @1973,1978,1984 International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan Bible Publishers."

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way your judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.(verses 1-2)

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother,'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hyprocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.(verses 4-5)

Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." (verse 6)
spam away

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

did you know you have another on the school board that has gone thru bankrupcy? do you care? so, let's get rid of everyone who has files some sort of bankrupcy....kohls, gentry, and.....ANDERSON
what say you now, big mouth?
Tell it like it is

Amelia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

Do you know that Kelly Kohls has a cleaning lady for her own home??
Worth repeating ad nauseum:

This is unbelievable pettiness from both sides. Yes, Ellis is pro-levy and Kohls is anti-levy. Their personal lives are irrelevant. What they do as board members is relevant. Right now, Kohls speaks for the majority of Springboro Schools taxpayers and the majority rules. We need to concentrate on the real issue - the need to cut unnecessary and wasteful spending by the school board, school administration, and the unions. I have made suggestions to that effect and we need to have more suggestions from both sides, and the school board needs to act on these suggestions. We will not get anywhere until we do this. Anything else is just a needless distraction.
Not Kidding

Middletown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

Tell it like it is wrote:
In light of the impending levy vote, it is important to refocus attention on why we are united in our opposition to the levy. I ask others with similar thoughts to state them here as it is unlikely for us to have such an open forum (as contrasted to school board meetings where the deck is stacked) in which to present ideas on how to reduce school overhead in order to use our hard earned tax dollars more effectively. Let's make our vote count by reminding school administration that we don't write blank checks.
brilliant wrote:
<quoted text>
"You are truly clueless. One person cannot possibly do both the treasurer and business manager jobs".
My response:
"I think if you were to look more closely, you would see that all of the support staff do their jobs quite well without George Long sitting beside them holding their hands. The bus drivers have admin staff giving them their marching orders, the lunch room staff have a supervisor at each school with an overall supervisor at the high school. The custodians have a head custodian at each school. The maintenance staff attend to the work orders submitted by other school staff. The IT staff has the technology coordinator supervising only two employees, with him doing computer repairs in the schools on a $90,000 or so salary while his two subordinates sit back at the school administration office doing whatever they do. Not a good use of our taxes and definitely an overpriced computer support technician. What does that leave George Long to do? Well, we have the best paid crossing guard (George Long) to control the school buses as students depart at the end of the school day. Yes, there is a better use of our money,$100,000 or so for George Long's salary. He can do the Treasurer's job when he is not performing crossing guard duty. We have more than enough chief's telling the indians what to do or the chief's doing the indians job for excessive compensation. No more sticking it to Springboro taxpayers!!!!! Tell them the only thing they will listen to. No on the levy!!!!! Maybe then they will get serious on making the cuts that need to be made".
Now is the time to stick to the agenda of "Tell It Like It Is."
Our BOE is in an excellent position to eliminate administrative cost of $103,000 Beavers salary; and combine this Business Manager and Treasurer position. From what is posted on this blog, it appears that George Long does have the certifications needed to be employed as a school treasurer/business manager; but if not; then the BOE should look for a school employee who can serve our school district as Treasurer/Business Manager with the one salary of approximately $100,000. Voters have taken the first step on November 2; but we MUST stay to the task. Remember Tuesday, November 16 is the next scheduled board meeting.
Not Kidding

Middletown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

Now is the time to focus on the tremendous debt that our school district leaders have deceived local taxpayers into supporting all these years; all the while telling voters that "we do it all for the kids."

One step at a time, please, at the appropriate time to fix our BOE problems. NOW is the time to o expose, NOT the PERSONAL FINANCIAL WEAKNESSES,BUT the weak leadership FINANCIAL skills of BOE members Anderson, Ellis, Kruse, and Miller in NOT standing up to the greedy teachers union activists, who are seeking to control our school districts finances to the union's financial advantage, instead of childrens' educational advantages.

Too much of our school tax money is being spent on administrative costs that are not necessary to our children's education. TOO much of our time on this blog is being spent on union activists who are on this blog defending their same old tactics of "divide and conquer" that we saw acted out in our school board meetings during the November 2 levy season.

Please step up and offer support and constructive suggestions as modeled for us by Tell It Like It Is.
Not Kidding

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

Did you know that according to Warren County Board of Elections sources:

FACT: 19 levy requests (ie. one every 7 months (on average) since 1998

we have voted to RAISE or MAINTAIN (renew) taxes for schools EIGHT times since the new high school was proposed.

Seven times in the last 12 years (or once about every 18 months and FOUR of those were for new money).

Did you know that the NFSS little yellow card that came in the mail urged voters to consider this FACT:

"Springboro's family-friendly quality and strong schools continue to attract newcomers who keep our community economically vital, sharing the tax burden and driving taxes down for the rest of us."

Why then are we constantly badgered by our pro levy neighbors that because new families have bought homes and are now paying taxes in our school district; that it is NOW time to gather new taxes from everyone and redistribute them?
Tell it like it is

Amelia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

Springboro BOE, I have summarized suggested cost saving ideas here for your review and consideration. I invite both pro and anti levy Springboro taxpayers to join me here in adding to this list so that we both can get beyond our differences. These proposals, along with those of "Educate Springboro", and the pro and con levy Springboro taxpayers, will go a long way in making this community whole again.

1. Include in the contract of the new Superintendent a clause tying compensation to cost reduction and academic performance. Even with reduced compensation, there will be plenty of willing and able administrators happy to get the opportunity to show they are competent enough to turn out a quality product at minimal cost. Why? Because that administrator will be in even more demand when they are ready to move on. To see this in action, all you have to do is track the careers of corporate CEO's who have cut costs, increased market share and quality, and increased the value of stockholders investments, the analogy being taxpayers are the equivalent of stockholders. As a superintendent, imagine putting that on your resume. It is more important than ever that education be run with the same discipline as a business in light of the negative consequences when that business fails.

2. Eliminate one of the two principal positions at both Dennis and Five Points Elementary Schools. Note that there is also no need for an Assistant Principals at either elementary school as they would not have the kinds of issues that are found in either the high school or junior high which would require more supervision.

3. Combine the Treasurer and Business Manager positions under George Long. The Springboro Schools website states that he has both qualifications (if he doesn’t have both licenses, then he needs to be held accountable for his misleading the school district). If some state education law or other legal entity does not allow merging the positions, then eliminate the Business Manager position with George Long assuming the Treasurer position. The Superintendent would then be responsible for overseeing those areas previously under the Business Manager (what a novel thought – the superintendent actually is a supervisor in more than name only). Of course this would not entail much work for the superintendent, as all areas already have supervisory personnel. The bus drivers have someone already supervising them. The bus repair facility has someone supervising its personnel. The school cafeteria’s have a supervisor in overall charge at the high school, with the other schools having their own cafeteria supervisors. Each school has a supervisory custodian in charge. School Maintenance workers have work order requests which determine their work schedules.

4. Eliminate the Technology Coordinator position. Merge Technology Coordinator responsibilities that are unrelated to direct IT support into the Ed Tech’s responsibilities. Keep the remaining two lower paid IT personnel who would collaborate on the remaining responsibilities for IT support. There is precedent for having only two persons in the IT department and that was when we had older and poorer quality computer equipment. We now have expensive new computer equipment that was purchased at a cost of nearly a million dollars. Springboro Schools now has new more efficient and reliable computer equipment which means IT support can be done with fewer personnel which was the case until school administration went on a spending splurge with our taxpayer dollars.

Total Springboro taxpayer dollars saved =$500,000 or more (including benefits, etc.)
Gerald

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

I can’t think of a time in my lifetime when so many different people spoke about the spending problems of government. The problem is at all levels and its each and every person’s responsibility, if you’re a teacher, it’s time to start rearranging your life to something more manageable, because things will not stay the way they have forever. If you’re a superintendent, you need to do the same. In fact if you work for the government in any fashion, you need to make those adjustments now. Get your financial obligations down so you can endure the change.

The tax payers want to pay you well for the service you provide. But the days of blind foolish spending are gone.
Gerald

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

"are you kidding me" seems to be stalking Dr. Kohls. This person and her followers seem to be very knowledgeable about very personal information regarding the Kohls family. Things that are public information are one thing, but things going on inside the Kohls' home are another.

This appears to be stalking. If I were Dr. Kohls I would certainly notify the police about the series of broadcasted information that could only be known by someone following her around. Or someone watching her home.

I, personally, could not tell you anything that my neighbors are doing. I do sit outside or in my window and keep them under surveillance. Someone is doing just that with Dr. Kohls.

It has to be an employee of the district, as they are the only ones with a vested interest so high that they would take the risk.

Dr. Kohls is the only person remotely affiliated with the district that is seeking to do what is best for all concerned.
spam away

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

Not Kidding wrote:
Did you know that according to Warren County Board of Elections sources:
FACT: 19 levy requests (ie. one every 7 months (on average) since 1998
we have voted to RAISE or MAINTAIN (renew) taxes for schools EIGHT times since the new high school was proposed.
Seven times in the last 12 years (or once about every 18 months and FOUR of those were for new money).
Did you know that the NFSS little yellow card that came in the mail urged voters to consider this FACT:
"Springboro's family-friendly quality and strong schools continue to attract newcomers who keep our community economically vital, sharing the tax burden and driving taxes down for the rest of us."
Why then are we constantly badgered by our pro levy neighbors that because new families have bought homes and are now paying taxes in our school district; that it is NOW time to gather new taxes from everyone and redistribute them?
add up all those levies at about 20k each and see how much the schools are throwing away our hard earned tax dollars...ENOUGH IS ENOUGH..
Gerald

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Should be, "I do "NOT" sit outside etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

54 Users are viewing the Kids Forum right now

Search the Kids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Hundreds of protests planned this weekend acros... 17 min Rem223 45
Anti-Immigration Rally Blows Up in Teaparty's Face 22 min wild child 5
Fantage Members Passwords (Aug '11) 44 min SHI-SHI 1,900
Moviestarplanet passwords (Jan '12) 51 min WANNA KNOW PUMPCHKINS PAS 2,874
Fantage MEMBER Accounts (May '12) 1 hr _Dakota_ 1,560
ROC building to house immigrant kids? 1 hr K whopper 20
After the Catch: Has Captain Elliott's obsessio... (Aug '12) 3 hr Changes 3
Unwanted REAL Member Fantage Accounts FOR GIRLS (Jul '12) 3 hr baam 748
•••