Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,515

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
I smell OEA

Springboro, OH

#23442 Feb 15, 2013
Boro Mom wrote:
I wish there were more positive things about our schools on here and in the news. It's a shame the way the kids have to see their parents, teachers, and community leaders behave.
Weren't you the one whispering in the back of the board room all night? I saw you acting like a juvenile last night.
Educate Yourself

Piqua, OH

#23443 Feb 15, 2013
Problems wrote:
So many of the issues mentioned seem to be driven by the states current system. I'm thinking instead of bashing the board and our teachers we should call/write our local officials. I say find a way to pay the teachers a respectable wage and keep them accountable, control spending so that funds are properly used to help educate our students, and work together as a community to raise the bar in Springboro. Most of the people I know in Warren county talk about what a joke our community is due to "rich people" not getting along. We all know this isn't true, so lets work together to fix these problems and stop the bashing, propaganda, and bad will towards each other.
Our reform minded BOE majority elected officials are the local school government problem solvers that are "finding a way to pay the teachers a respectable wage and keep them accountable, while control spending so that funds are properly used to help our students. Working together as a "community" of school board representatives, school district leaders, Springboro parents, and taxpaying homeowners, here are a few highlights from 2012.
Congratulations to our reform minded elected officials on these accomplishments doing what's right for our school children and community. You've stayed the course (in spite of relentless political opposition to publicly embarrass you, discredit your public service, and distract from your winning agenda that is working in the best interest of our children first.
-continued
Educate Yourself

Piqua, OH

#23444 Feb 15, 2013
BOE Highlights from 2012 -
Investments in our classrooms
A renewed focus on individual student success is critical as we adopt higher standards required by Ohio's Common Core Curriculum by 2014-15 ( www.corestandards.org ).
We've invested $350,000 in a highly acclaimed reading curriculum for first through fifth graders, added high school AP and math courses, and reduced some elementary class sizes. And this is just the beginning!
Educate Yourself

Piqua, OH

#23445 Feb 15, 2013
BOE Highlights from 2012-
Keeping pace with technology in 2013
We are focused on preparing our students to be career and college ready, which includes encouraging digital learning. The district is working on its first comprehensive technology plan. Our five year forecast includes $1,100,000 to bring our infrastructure up to date, go wireless in every classroom, build the technology backbone for our schools, and replace 1,1000of the district's aging computers. This is necessary in order to equip our classrooms for the new state tests in 2014.
Educate Yourself

Piqua, OH

#23446 Feb 15, 2013
Innovative problem solving
Our district purchased 20 buses in 2006, however, we have not purchased any since. With no prior plan for bus purchases, we learned that our optimum fleet is 70 buses, and 20 buses will age out of our fleet in the next two to four years. With the administration, we worked to find an affordable solution that will bring 21 new buses to the district over the next five years without placing a disproportionate burden on our budget. And the district is wroking to revise bus routes for 2013-14 to be more efficient and cost-effective.
Educate Yourself

Piqua, OH

#23447 Feb 15, 2013
Connecting the community to our schools
A Board of Education's role is to represent the community within the school district, and transparency with our community is a priority. Our board created three committees in 2012 - budget and finance, policy, and compensation and evaluation. These committees' meetings follow Ohio's Sunshine Laws; they are open to the public with announced meeting times and published minutes.
The bridge with the community has been broadened online and on television as well. Board meeting documents are all available through the district website www.Springboro.org and board meetings are broadcast on EATV Channel 21 through the Miami Valley Communications Council.
Visit www.MVCC.net for the broadcast schedule.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23448 Feb 15, 2013
The presentation by Mr. Malone was interesting in what he did not explain to the public or the board of education.

1) The celebration of "Advanced, Accelerated, and Proficient" continues, how many know the definition of those terms?

When questioned on the definitions of those terms Mr. Malone pled ignorance.

Let me provide him with the information that I gleaned from the ODE website

Ohio Graduation Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands on the 2012 test

Reading
Advanced.......79%-100%
Accelerated.....63.5%-78%
Proficient.........40.6%-63.4%

If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Reading.

Springboro had 88 students out of 380 students taking the Ohio Graduation test fall in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.

Math
Advanced.......75%-100%
Accelerated....61%-74%
Proficient........42%-60%

If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Math.

Springboro had 40 students our of 380 students taking the Ohio Graduation test fall in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.

They further REDUCED the number of questions correct that you needed to reach the various achievement levels down a question from the 2011 already low levels.

2) We will also celebrate the number of excellent students we have who scored in the top 95% of the entire nation on the ACT test. 58 children in our district accomplished this feat and my hats off to each and every one.

According to our state report card we also had 88 children who failed reading on the OGT and another 40 who failed basic math on the OGT. Let us not brush those children aside in our rush to pat ourselves on the back.

3) According to the weights that our high school has decided to award for successful completion of college courses in the PSEO (post secondary education program)

A...=...95%
B...=...85%
C...=...75%
D...=...65%
F...=...59%

Compare Dr. Malone's criteria for successful completion of a college course grade with that of the OGT results

Math 2012 OGT scoring distribution

Accelerated....61%-74%......D according to Dr. Malone
Proficient........42%-60%..... .F according to Dr. Malone

Reading 2012 OGT scoring distribution

Reading

Accelerated.....63.5%-78%..... .D and C according to Dr. Malone
Proficient.........40.6%-63.4% .......F and D according to Dr. Malone

You can't accept a criteria for accomplishment while taking college level courses without applying it across the board to all classes and tests.

Two separate and mutually convenient scoring criteria serves the best interest of no one.

4) Mr. Malone's pleading of not know how PSEO was weighted in regards to calculating GPA of students seemed rather disingenuous. After all, Mr. Malone participated just the night before in the presentation of the PSEO program to 400-500 interested parents. That and this is not Mr. Malone's first rodeo, he has been doing this for 12 years. It would take an incredible stretch of the imagination to think he had not bothered to acquaint himself with any of the particulars of a program that could save parents and children literally tens of thousands of dollars.

5) Mr. Malone went on endlessly about the A/P courses in our high school, but failed to make the case why a college course would be weighted 15% less than a course taken in his high school.

It is as if Mr. Malone is trying to discourage students from looking outside the high school for advanced opportunities.

6) Mr. Malone also failed to mention why we are so lacking in participation in these advanced classes compared to neighboring districts. Waynesville, Lebanon, Centerville, and Kings Mills have over two times the participation rate in A/P courses.

We do okay, but we can certainly do better.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23449 Feb 15, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Bowman's comments last night, but must take offense at one that insisted the teachers in Springboro were the most important element in a child's success.

If Mr. Bowman's statement is to stand, then the teachers are also the primary reason that 2000 plus of our students are simply not getting the education they deserve.

You cannot imply that they are responsible for the top student's success without taking as much responsibility for the bottom student's failure.

I believe that our teachers in Springboro are only as good as the parents who provide the children to the school system. Springboro is blessed with a multitude of parents who value education and know what it can mean to future success in life.

While teachers are undoubtably important, great parents are more so in the equation. A teacher may be responsible for a child for 6 hours a day, a parent has them for the other 18. A teacher may provide them with the inspiration and knowledge, but the parent provides the platform from which to absorb that knowledge and inspiration.

I don't believe that every teacher in Carlisle is a bad teacher. Or in Dayton, or Cincinnati, or Cleveland, etc, etc. just because we get better marks on the state achievement tests than they do. The difference is in the quality of parents we enjoy in Springboro.

Not all of the parents are great, but enough of them are to make our school district a little better than some others.

I have spoken with a number of my children's teachers through the years and have found some exceptional and some okay, just like every other profession I have ever come in contact with during my life.

You get out of it what you put into it, whether learning or earning.

If we all pull in the same direction our children will be the main beneficiaries of this cooperation.

In the end, isn't that what we are all after.
SOS to SEA

Piqua, OH

#23450 Feb 15, 2013
Grapevine Schooling wrote:
<quoted text>
At least on this blog, all have rights to post comments or state personal opinions; however, we all have responsibility of presenting a fair and balanced view. Fair and Balanced are two common sense "personal opinions" that bad Babb for Boro, and her bitter Bowman paid community union activist, do not allow in the bully pulpit of the SEA pep squad rallying for status quo.
Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners are desperate for our SEA community activists to show cooperation and mutual respect for all school board representatives and school district voters. Contrary to this,(even after the voters sent a clear message in the 2011 local BOE elections) our SEA president Mr. Maney, is relentless in pursuing his smear campaign against those who oppose his continuing bad Babb for Boro campaign for greater union empowerment, over our children first budgeting BOE majority and our kids' classroom teachers.
Our new board has effectively proved that it does not take more money; it takes accountability. Today our schools enjoy Excellent with Distrinction, Blue Ribbon award, Increased ACT scores, Reduced Remedial rates. This should be celebrated! And we should celebrate that we, as a school district working together, CAN and WILL do more for our children's future; by standing firm in support of our school board representatives and school district leaders district who cooperate with and respect the "Winning Formula" of our children first budgeting philosophy. Our school district and our kids are Winners when every child in our community has opportunity to become all that individual potential allows; NOT because we have the highest "head count for dollars" sitting in our public schools classrooms receiving OEA indoctrination by "a union teacher."
Hey Mr. Maney...Tear Down That "Opposition Wall" that the Springboro Education Association is building with Mr. Bowman's political campaign of character destruction AGAINST hardworking Springboro families/taxpaying homeowners who stand firmly in support of our Amazingly-Awesome reform minded BOE majority!
What were you

Youngstown, OH

#23451 Feb 15, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Bowman's comments last night, but must take offense at one that insisted the teachers in Springboro were the most important element in a child's success.
If Mr. Bowman's statement is to stand, then the teachers are also the primary reason that 2000 plus of our students are simply not getting the education they deserve.
You cannot imply that they are responsible for the top student's success without taking as much responsibility for the bottom student's failure.
I believe that our teachers in Springboro are only as good as the parents who provide the children to the school system. Springboro is blessed with a multitude of parents who value education and know what it can mean to future success in life.
While teachers are undoubtably important, great parents are more so in the equation. A teacher may be responsible for a child for 6 hours a day, a parent has them for the other 18. A teacher may provide them with the inspiration and knowledge, but the parent provides the platform from which to absorb that knowledge and inspiration.
I don't believe that every teacher in Carlisle is a bad teacher. Or in Dayton, or Cincinnati, or Cleveland, etc, etc. just because we get better marks on the state achievement tests than they do. The difference is in the quality of parents we enjoy in Springboro.
Not all of the parents are great, but enough of them are to make our school district a little better than some others.
I have spoken with a number of my children's teachers through the years and have found some exceptional and some okay, just like every other profession I have ever come in contact with during my life.
You get out of it what you put into it, whether learning or earning.
If we all pull in the same direction our children will be the main beneficiaries of this cooperation.
In the end, isn't that what we are all after.
Just watching sInce every profession has exceptional, bad and just ok employees, what are you or were you in your profession?
What were you

Youngstown, OH

#23452 Feb 15, 2013
What constitutes a "great parent" under your rationale? Clearly 2000 students in our district don't have "great parents" under your logic. I agree that teachers cannot take credit for good students without some responsibility for poor ones. But conversely you cannot blame them for poor ones without giving credit for good students. And what is "pulling in the same direction?". Saying "not all parents are great but enough are....". If you are the moral compass for us to follow, I don't really want to go in whatever direction you are pulling...
Our Money We Earned It

Piqua, OH

#23453 Feb 15, 2013
What were you wrote:
<quoted text>
Just watching sInce every profession has exceptional, bad and just ok employees, what are you or were you in your profession?
Whatever profession, or whatever expertise those of us working in the private sector possess, It is Our Money, and we are the experts in managing our own household budgets, living within our means; and we fully expect those of you in service to our public schools to assure our children a quality education, while living within the means of the Springboro community, in which YOU have chose to work.
Ohios lowered bar

Girard, OH

#23454 Feb 15, 2013
who="Just Watching"]Another popular Springboro blog with a certain set is trumpeting the Performance Index as evidence of our AWSOMENESS in our education system in the Springboro School District.
The Performance Index (PI) is a calculation that measures achievement/OGT test performance at the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 10th (OGT) grade levels based upon the number of students at each performance level.
The PI is calculated by assigning a weighted score to each performance level in the following manner:
• Untested students - 0 points
• Below Basic/Limited - 0.3 points
• Basic - 0.6 points
• Proficient - 1.0 points
• Accelerated – 1.1 points
• Advanced - 1.2
The percentage of students at each performance level is then multiplied by their respective weight, and the totals for each performance level are summed to get the building’s overall Performance Index score.
A perfect score would be to have everyone in the advanced classification in the school district. That score would be 120.
Springboro sits at 107.2 which seems marvelous until you look behind the numbers that support this rating.
As we know from past discussions, "Proficient" and below are essentially failing scores. Thus if you had everyone in the "Proficient" range, you would score 100.0 and everyone would effectively be failing.
Some of the "Accelerated" scores are also failing grades, yet they assign these 1.1 weighting. So if everyone in our school system were "Accelerated", we would score a rating of 110.0
Since we only come in at 107.2, those 2000 plus students not getting the education we promise really weights our school system down.
The Performance Index is another semantic sleight of hand provided by the state to make you feel warm and fuzzy about the fraud being committed in your name.
A look at the actual definition of each of the academic assessment level is telling in its brevity.

8th grade 2011 OAA Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands
(Springboro Class of ’15)
READING
Advanced.......83%-100%
Accelerated.....71%-82%
Proficient.........48%-70%
If a student was able to answer 23 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
In 8th grade READING, Springboro had 136 students out of 443 students (31%) fall in the Proficient or below category.
_____
MATH
Advanced.......78%-100%
Accelerated....61%-77%
Proficient........35%-60%
If a student was able to answer 16 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
In 8th grade MATH, Springboro had 203 students out of 443 students (46%) fall the Proficient or below category.
http://www.ode.state.oh.us/reportcardfiles/20...
The state of Ohio loves to trumpet out reports such as this in order to attempt to wow districts and parents alike. This is our state of Ohio's report card showing "glowing" numbers as to how many students scored "proficient" or above.
Don't be fooled.
Pay close attention to the detail in this link, or rather, the lack thereof.
There is absolutely NO, ZERO, ZILCH mention of the fact that in order to attain "proficient", any given student only needs to attain a minimum scores in the range of 32%-48%

For example - For 8th grade math, each member of Boro's 2011 class needed only to attain 35%...(yes, I said 35%!!!) on their Ohio Achievement Test in order to be "proficient" on this Ohio report card.
The Ohio math standards get even lower for the class after that!
The same testing year (2011) Ohio 7th graders only needed to attain a minimum grade of 32%(uh huh! that's thirty two percent!)on the math portion of their Ohio Achievement Assessment!
What were you

Youngstown, OH

#23455 Feb 15, 2013
You might be an expert in your household budget but just because you pay taxes does not mean you are an expert in public finance. And thanks but I am not a teacher as you assume. If anyone question or disagrees, they HAVE to be teachers? I mean there can't possibly be taxpayers that support public education and teachers....
Our Money Our Kids

Piqua, OH

#23456 Feb 15, 2013
What were you wrote:
What constitutes a "great parent" under your rationale? Clearly 2000 students in our district don't have "great parents" under your logic. I agree that teachers cannot take credit for good students without some responsibility for poor ones. But conversely you cannot blame them for poor ones without giving credit for good students. And what is "pulling in the same direction?". Saying "not all parents are great but enough are....". If you are the moral compass for us to follow, I don't really want to go in whatever direction you are pulling...
Clearly there is none perfect; but If there was a "three-sided moral compass" ... as for me and my household, we would follow the model of professionalism and good citizenship seen projected at our school board meetings by our reform-minded Amazingly-Awesome board representatives, who are doing what's right for our schools and our children, first.
It was absolutely inspiring and just heartwarming to see our board members respond with dignity and professionalism to this grandstanding bully, offering respect and consideration to Mr. Bowman, when neither was offered in return.
What were you

Youngstown, OH

#23457 Feb 15, 2013
Our Money Our Kids wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly there is none perfect; but If there was a "three-sided moral compass" ... as for me and my household, we would follow the model of professionalism and good citizenship seen projected at our school board meetings by our reform-minded Amazingly-Awesome board representatives, who are doing what's right for our schools and our children, first.
It was absolutely inspiring and just heartwarming to see our board members respond with dignity and professionalism to this grandstanding bully, offering respect and consideration to Mr. Bowman, when neither was offered in return.
Funny the board that you worship is not the ones I have witnessed - lecturing taxpayers about comments they are well within their rights to say! Not Permitting a give and take with the residents they serve. The board serves all taxpayers, not just the ones that agree with them.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23458 Feb 15, 2013
What were you wrote:
<quoted text>
By my own estimation, Less than stellar, but good enough. If any of the Fortune 100 companies we do work for wishes to fire us, they certainly would without a second thought. If we don't perform above average we will be dropped without a word. My customers don't need me, I need them. I explain to my employees everyday that I am not the boss, our customer is the boss. Without them to give us money for doing good work, we are dead. No customers, no jobs, no work, no money, gone. It really is as simple as that.

I have to compete with other companies many multiples of my size. We are a small, small company who does work that Fortune 100 companies covet. So by their estimation we are pretty good.

The larger companies vote every day with their checkbooks, do the job right just 63% of the time and you will have a good view of the Sheriff's Sale.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23459 Feb 15, 2013
What were you wrote:
I do not believe that I have ever written that the good students in Springboro are created in a vacuum without the aid of a teacher. It takes the combined effort of the teacher, the parents, the students, and the community to provide the resources necessary to produce the outstanding scholars that populate our district. No one person is responsible for the good or the bad, it is a collective success and an equally collective failure.

As John Kennedy said after the Bay of Pigs, "Success has many fathers, while failure is an orphan."

I do not claim to be anyone's moral compass, that is your moniker, not mine. If you need guidance in which direction to go, do your own research and by all means share it with the rest of the community. Just be sure to include the annotation on sources, mere feelings don't count as a reasoned argument.

I also do not claim to have all the answers, but I will ask the questions that may lead me to some of them.
Triple A Rating

Piqua, OH

#23460 Feb 15, 2013
Our Money Our Kids wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally agree that the response to Mr. Bowman from the Springboro
Board of Education members is rated Absolutely Amazingly Awesome.
The purpose of public participation to discuss school board business was stated, by the board president, respectfully and clearly; but Mr. Bowman rambled all over the place in what appeared to be an accusation that the board president did not have the same right of free speech to voice opinions; that was somewhat confusing to those of us who had no idea what Mr. Bowman was complaining about; but we could understand the patience practiced by the board members and their interest in responding to the citizen's concerns. Now we all know that Mr. Bowman actually has no concerns; but just shows up to be top performer for the union, while the hecklers for the unions planted in the "audience" join the jeering in efforts to disrupt the board meeting.
Our Springboro school board members are to be commended for refusing to allow Mr. Bowman to pull them into his fiery "ring of ridicule." Mr. Bowman's tactics of intimidation are typical of those outlined in the union masters "bible" Rules for Radicals
by Saul Alinsky.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23461 Feb 15, 2013
What were you wrote:
If you are the moral compass for us to follow, I don't really want to go in whatever direction you are pulling...
What direction am I pulling? With what facts specifically do you disagree? Would you be so kind as to elaborate on that statement?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how to hack person on moviestarplanet get there... (Jun '13) 55 min sweet but dark me 102
Court bars kids from Jehovah's Witness activities 2 hr UNchained 61
Fantage Members Passwords (Aug '11) 19 hr cupcake55003 1,953
Jim Bob Duggar Says Petition To Cancel '19 Kids... 22 hr Lawrence 13
Creationism coming to Ohio classrooms? Not with... 22 hr nobody 7
New Wife Staying at Ex-Wife's House 23 hr Feeling Misunders... 1
Single mom, 5 kids homeless after fire Sat CSM1 10
More from around the web