Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
23,001 - 23,020 of 31,119 Comments Last updated 51 min ago
reality

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
Right now all we have is the amount the school district is spending. We have no idea, however, if that is the correct amount, too low or too high.
Without evaluating the entire product, from results, to delivery system, to the changing modes of communication available to us all, physical plant, etc, it is quite simply impossible to make any definitive statements regarding our underlying cost structure that have any relevance to the quality of product we are delivering to our ultimate consumer, the child.
Those parents of gifted students will claim it is working perfectly, those 2000 plus students rated "Proficient" or below may claim otherwise.
re: the 2000 students rated "proficient" or below in OAA testing

It is easy to fantasize that each and every Springboro parent pays an equal amount of attention to the quality of their respective child's education. In reality nothing is further from the truth.

A certain percentage of households today are completely dysfunctional, often so much so that children find themselves running the show to a certain extent. A lot of families today are pieces put together from former families that were torn apart by domestic violence and or substance abuse. Especially if they have some type of support outside of the home, some kids find the resilency to not let a really bad home situation defeat their scholastic progress. There are rare examples of students that thrive under such tough circumstances, giving real life meaning to... "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger". Unfortunately, other kids end up quitting high school because they can no longer deal with the stresses of school, combined with the hell they are forced to deal with every day at home.
Proficient

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Is proficient basically considered being an average student? I want my kid to do the best possible and have a great education, but not everyone's going to have the same access to resources and opportunities to improve. I'm privileged to be able to get my daughter tutoring when needed, but I don't blame her teachers for her not understanding everything. I personally struggled with some lessons and skills and I expect my child to do so as well ....no matter who taught it and their education. The main issue seems to be the state's test and what they consider a good score. Is the test designed so that students only perform at 40% or better? I'm thinking a good measure would be a student taking the test in August and then again in May to see how much they learned. That would seem fair.
Why no answers

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Proficient wrote:
Is proficient basically considered being an average student? I want my kid to do the best possible and have a great education, but not everyone's going to have the same access to resources and opportunities to improve. I'm privileged to be able to get my daughter tutoring when needed, but I don't blame her teachers for her not understanding everything. I personally struggled with some lessons and skills and I expect my child to do so as well ....no matter who taught it and their education. The main issue seems to be the state's test and what they consider a good score. Is the test designed so that students only perform at 40% or better? I'm thinking a good measure would be a student taking the test in August and then again in May to see how much they learned. That would seem fair.
If comprehending just half of the material being covered is considered Proficient, then I am filthy rich because I make $54,000 per year.

I don't think me or anybody else believes the above statement.
Stay Focused

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Finding ways to methodically advance student achievement should always be everyone’s goal. Implementing academic reforms will, for example, reduce the present need for so many of our students needing to take college remediation courses. This, of course, will immediately translate into money saved for parents whose students attend Ohio’s colleges. And, in order to meet this challenge of higher academic quality, the current school Board of Education and District are, or already have plans to, invest heavily in technology, professional development for teachers, new textbooks, as well as new computers for every teacher, plus much more.

All this being said, there is a lot of work yet to be done to assure you (parents) that we will strive to do more than meet the minimum state requirements. The current Board of Education is dedicated to being advocates for every student striving to push the bar higher than other districts.

Some say there’s no need to change because our district achieved an “excellent with Distinction” rating for our most recent school year. But we live in a world that is dynamic, a world of ever-evolving expectations and realities that require our constant attention. What once was an acceptable level of achievement is now a relic of the past that will ill serve our children and our taxpayers in the future.

As parents, we all desire that our children be provided the best we can afford. We constantly challenge our children with the hope that doing so will help prepare them for the world and better lives than we ourselves enjoy. We are also highly cognizant of the importance of true learning and greatly value education and the promise of what it may bring.

Everyone in the school community has more in common than they have differences. Let us meld that commonality to push forth a better school system than we enjoy today. We owe it to our children. Let us come together to push for real achievement and higher standards that we currently demand.

http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/2013/0...
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Proficient wrote:
The main issue is what our children are learning or not learning. 3/8 of our kids are not getting the education we are all funding. While some kids may indeed never get "it", you cannot make me believe in a community like Springboro that we are to accept such low results.
Proficient means failure. See what percentage of the state assessment tests it takes to be considered Proficient, Accelerated, or Advanced. The standards and semantics are an affront to every taxpayer and parent in the state.
A look at the actual definition of each of the academic assessment level is telling in its brevity.
6th grade 2011 OAA Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands
(This represents Springboro Class of ’17)
READING
Advanced.......76%-100%
Accelerated.....61%-75%
Proficient.........35%-60%
If a student was able to answer 17 out of 49 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
In 6th grade READING, Springboro had 172 students out of 502 students (34%) fall in the Proficient or below category
______
MATH
Advanced.......68%-100%
Accelerated....58%-67%
Proficient........40%-57%
If a student was able to answer 20 out of 50 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
In 6th grade MATH, Springboro had 127 students our of 502 students ( 25%) falling the Proficient or below category
Advanced 81%-100%
Accelerated 66%-80%
Proficient 45%-65%(45%=Proficient)
In 7th grade READING, Springboro had 172 students out of 413 students (42%) fall in the Proficient or below category
_____
MATH
Advanced 72%-100%
Accelerated 58%-71%
Proficient 32%-57%(32%=Proficient)
In 7th grade MATH, Springboro had 140 students out of 413 students (34%) fall in the Proficient or below categories.
8th grade 2011 OAA Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands
(Springboro Class of ’15)
READING
Advanced.......83%-100%
Accelerated.....71%-82%
Proficient.........48%-70%
If a student was able to answer 23 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
In 8th grade READING, Springboro had 136 students out of 443 students (31%) fall in the Proficient or below category.
MATH
Advanced.......78%-100%
Accelerated....61%-77%
Proficient........35%-60%
If a student was able to answer 16 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
In 8th grade MATH, Springboro had 203 students out of 443 students (46%) fall the Proficient or below category.
aint got good learnin

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Why no answers wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think me or anybody else believes the above statement.
I trust you didn't pick up this eloquent style of grammar here in Springboro?
Our recommendation Spring

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Happy 5th Birthday, thread!(one day late)
Divided or Determined

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Sunday brunch wrote:
Do not blame guns.
Guns are not the problem.
The real problem is what drives people to want to kill in the first place.
Anger and envy are being encouraged by the entertainment and news media.
Video games teach foolish people that death isn't even permanent because the victim gets up and walks away.
Our real societal problem is a lack of self discipline or self control.
The real blame for any kiling goes to the psychologists who told us to express our anger and all of our emotions: "Let it all hang out". So today we have mass shootings, road rage, and muffin tops.
The ugliest truth is the fact that we don't care much about our children. We'll have them killed before they are born if they are viewed as inconvenient in our lives. After we allow them to be born we warehouse them in human kennels a.k.a. daycare centers. Then we send them to government run indoctrination centers where they are taught to hate and envy because there is no god. Before kids hit puberty, schools are teaching them sexual propaganda and we stand around sratching our heads wondering why our adult children are developing into such awful dysfunctional parents.
Meantime the schools continue to teach reading with methods they have known do not work for more than 50 years.
Again, do not blame guns.
A gun can not make a conscious decision.
A gun cannot pull its own trigger.
The key to ending this kind of violence is as an entire society, gradually changing the way we treat and view ourselves.
For the past year, we have seen the results of our "Let It All Hang Out" indoctrination of our students by the trickle-down-leadership of the Springboro Education Association and president Mr. Scott Maney. Mr. Maney has led our students in all-out rebellion against the authority of our newly elected reform minded Springboro Board of Education elected officials; and the will of the voters in our school district by filing this latest law suit against all hard working Springboro families and taxpaying hoeowners, in Mr.Maney's legal efforts to take more money out of our household budgets and add more to the pockets of the Springbroo Education Association.
The voters of our community stand determined, through five failed unnecessary school levy requests from Mr. Maney; AND two cycles of free elections of new reform-minded board representatives; in the voter's determination to break the financially-dysfunctional cycle of continuous streams of levies, while reforming our budget and problem solving levy alternatives for our children's future; which by-the-way, IS the real REASON for the DIVISION of "union activists vs common sense voters" that we are seeing played out in some blogs and in our public school board meetings; spreading lies and false accusations against our hard working reform-minded BOE elected officials.
Stay Alert Voters! We cannot allow the status quo mantra of board member Don Miller and the Babb and Bowman babblers drown out the GOOD NEWS of our fiscally responsible reform-minded BOE members! It is time to celebrate the Achievements of our Successful children first budgeting board respresentatives, after just one year of hard work prioritizing our kids in every decision!
Isn't it time for our status quo board member Don Miller and his status quo community union activists to get on board with determined common sense voters? Isn't it time for SEA president, Mr. Maney, to stop wasting our money and time with his continuing season of "Silly Politics?"
Our Schools Our Money

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners need to speak up in appreciation of our reform-minded school board representatives and offer special thanks for their good work being accomplished by "accelerating student achievement through innovation and policy."

Should concerned citizens not speak up against the status quo leadership of SEA president Mr. Maney, respectfully asking Mr. Maney to offer due respect to Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners; who are committed to ensuring that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education, while keeping costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending?
Why doesn't Mr. Maney stop wasting taxpayers time and money and drop this law suit; and just respect the will of the people by cooperating with Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners,
who are faced with this big expense of school renewal levy coming up this November?

Before reform-minded board member Kelly Kohls was elected to the board, our district projected a $30 million deficit. Now, our district projects a $5 million surplus after replacing many things taken from the children during the levy campaigns.
Under the leadership of our current school board president, Kelly Kohls, our school district has now added many curriculum and safety measures for the children of our district. AND all of this without new money. WHAT CHANGED?
Our BOE president and reform minded board representatives have become much more efficient, our new board is holding people accountable and
making ALL decisions using what is good for education and ALL our children as FIRST priority.
Bad to the Core

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Who wrote the article in the February 7, 2013, Star Press:
-Teachers union say no to beginning
contract negotitions?
-Without renegotiation, district will pay additional $11.3 million in costs
-The board's current financial forecast presents a balanced budget; however, it assumes no overall increases in payroll and no overall increase in medical insurance costs for the next five years.

Don't know much about legal rights of the Springboro Education Association; but based on this Star Press article, is it correct the SEA is suing already heavily tax-burdened Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners (who already pay generous salaries and great benefits to our school employees) for $11.3 million worth of increased taxes, so that our school employees can financially benefit?
Or, does this lawsuit against our Springboro community suggest that SEA president Mr. Maney is so reform-minded challenged, that he thinks the SEA can legally force down the throats of community wide voters, the union's out-dated tunnel vision of status quo for our children's education?
No More Status Quo

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Bestowing the label of excellence on districts that do little to provide for students beyond basic proficiency helps no one. Even in elite, affluent suburbs, communities are lulled into complacent acceptance of the status quo even as their children perform at a level nowhere near excellent. This phenomenon is nicely explained by Jay Greene, coauthor of
When the Best Is Mediocre:

State accountability systems and the desire to rationalize the lack of quality options have encouraged the elites to compare their affluent suburban districts to the large urban ones in their state. These inappropriate comparisons have falsely reassured them that their own school districts are doing well. This false reassurance has also perhaps undermined the desire among the elites to engage in dramatic education reform. As long as the elites hold onto the belief that their own school districts are excellent, they have little desire to push for the kinds of significant systemic reforms that might improve their districts as well as the large urban districts. They may wish the urban districts well and hope matters improve, but their taste for bold reform is limited by a false contentment with their own situation.

Radio audiences laugh at the imaginary Lake Wobegon, where ALL students are above average, but Ohio has taken things to a level that some have described as Lake Wobegon on steroids, and the damage to the educational system is becoming evident. It is Time to take an honest look at state standards and to see how these “excellent” districts are truly performing. Parents, policymakers, and the general public no longer can afford to pretend that the emperor is clothed. It is time to take a look at the ugly, naked truth about the accountability system in Ohio.– www.oagc.com
Interesting

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

start using ginkgo biloba wrote:
<quoted text>
Your memory isn't very good. The evening of Jan 10, there were speakers who spoke in favor of the concept of a conversion school for struggling and/or gifted students, ultimately for the benefit of this ENTIRE district.
Most of the rest of that 1/10 docket was filled with "those" parents whose concerns by and large are limited to that of the everyday welfare of their OWN children. It is unfortunate there are children in this district who are forced to have to deal with such myopic, closed-minded parents.
..."MY gifted child will NEVER set foot in any school that's run by NON-union teachers!"...
Funnier, was that so many people or should I say sheeple clapped like fools to that statement. So we know exactly who was in the audience, don't we. A room full of union thugs acting like thugs does not make for "the whole community". DUHHHH
I was there and I saw who they were they were union reps. clapping with their whole bodies, disgusting.
Schooling

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Wow this one is so cool.

Look at spending and then look at math, English, Science , SAT scores. OMG. Why didn't someone tell me we were being lied to? Someone was taking all the money and telling us lies about how well our kids were doing.Oh ya they did and the whole Community" shouted them down. The whole community should shut, up and sit down and get schooled.

Here is the chart: http://www.cato.org/blog/public-school-spendi...
Schooling

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

I bet you won't see these charts on D Bowmans blog. He is only going to be a cheerleader for mediocrity.
reality

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

No More Status Quo wrote:
Radio audiences laugh at the imaginary Lake Wobegon, where ALL students are above average, but Ohio has taken things to a level that some have described as Lake Wobegon on steroids, and the damage to the educational system is becoming evident.
Even the quite liberal, quite funny Mr. Garrison Keillor probably wouldn't see much sanity in the current state of Ohio's public schools where 60%+ of the school districts are rated "above average" (a.k.a. excellent / excellent w/distiction). At the same time Ohio can't keep it's businesses from closing or being offshored, so it's tougher to keep young people from moving to up-and-coming places, like Minnesota.
Blah

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

So much gloom and doom on this thread...

I wanted to check out topix due to a co-worker mentioning it. It seems like four or five people relentlessly bickering.
Blah vs Common Sense

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

So exactly why are the Boro Blah blabbers so strongly oppossing the leadership of our BOE
majority's common sense agenda of children first budgeting?
As stated in an earlier post on this blog, before Kelly Kohls got on this school board our district projected a $30 million deficit. Now, we project a $5 million surplus after replacing many things taken from the children during the levy campaigns. We have now added many curriculum and safety measures for the children of our district. All of this without new money. What changed? Our new BOE majority have become much more efficient, holding people accountable, and making all decisions using what is good for education and our children as first priority.

Now, WHY would anyone oppose the board's decisions doing what is good for education and our children first?

There are embedded organized units that desperately need to prove that our reform-minded board members are wrong and that more money is imperative, because they see a collapse of their SYSTEM if it is proven that it is not about the
money after all. IF the money stops, then this organized opposition is no longer necessary and no longer maintains control of education and more importantly, THE MONEY. Do you understand?
Blah vs Common Sense

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

It is very important that common sense voters fully understand the “Three Fold Purpose” of those who oppose the leadership of our reform minded BOE majority representatives.

FIRST – Their hope is that if they fill you with enough negative sound bites, vastly untrue, you will think of this board as ineffective and will not vote to maintain the kids first philosophy.(Now we all know that WE are smarter than that).

SECOND – Maintain the appearance of the necessity to membership. They must prove their worth to membership.(I certainly would no longer pay for a membership if I did not see the value.)

THIRD – An unprofessional need to discredit comes from a lack of facts to back their positions. A need to portray a VICTIM so that citizens can feel empowered to be “Hero” and vote against their common sense convictions. Keep the pressure on so your opponents give up. All play on emotion rather than providing proof or data on positions. A good distraction to be sure, but hopefully, ineffective in Springboro.

PLEASE read the real truth and not some paid blogger bad mouthing this board because, clearly, they think of the kids first. Our adults have representation with their unions. This board IS making sure there are
no victims here as there were in the past, OUR KIDS!

In the past, if districts ran short of money a cookbook of pressure techniques were used to get the levy passed. This board has proven that these tactics hurt the kids and they were unnecessary. That can’t stand if the agenda is control and money driven. Do you understand?
Grapevine Schooling

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Judged:

Schooling wrote:
I bet you won't see these charts on D Bowmans blog. He is only going to be a cheerleader for mediocrity.
At least on this blog, all have rights to post comments or state personal opinions; however, we all have responsibility of presenting a fair and balanced view. Fair and Balanced are two common sense "personal opinions" that bad Babb for Boro, and her bitter Bowman paid community union activist, do not allow in the bully pulpit of the SEA pep squad rallying for status quo.
Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners are desperate for our SEA community activists to show cooperation and mutual respect for all school board representatives and school district voters. Contrary to this,(even after the voters sent a clear message in the 2011 local BOE elections) our SEA president Mr. Maney, is relentless in pursuing his smear campaign against those who oppose his continuing bad Babb for Boro campaign for greater union empowerment, over our children first budgeting BOE majority and our kids' classroom teachers.

Our new board has effectively proved that it does not take more money; it takes accountability. Today our schools enjoy Excellent with Distrinction, Blue Ribbon award, Increased ACT scores, Reduced Remedial rates. This should be celebrated! And we should celebrate that we, as a school district working together, CAN and WILL do more for our children's future; by standing firm in support of our school board representatives and school district leaders district who cooperate with and respect the "Winning Formula" of our children first budgeting philosophy. Our school district and our kids are Winners when every child in our community has opportunity to become all that individual potential allows; NOT because we have the highest "head count for dollars" sitting in our public schools classrooms receiving OEA indoctrination by "a union teacher."
Worth Remembering

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Judged:

Due U Know wrote:
During 2012 property values in our school district went down; but our personal property taxes increased because of a MRDD levy; Clearcreek Twp government collected MORE taxes from homewoners than the government needed; but refused to give homeowners a tax holiday in 2013; but instead spent over $10,000 to conduct a community survey of "customer satisfaction" with the manner in which the Clearcreek Twp government spends our tax dollars; so that the customer satisfaction survey could be promoted to prove that voters in Springboro/Clearcreek Twp wants a fire levy on the 2013 ballot.
Due U Know that the only thing proven by our local government actions is EXCESSIVE SPENDING and we all know that EXCESSIVE SPENDING proves the words of Ronald Reagan to be true:
"Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."
Again, isn't the only thing proven by this silly SEA legal action against Springboro board representatives/community members is the EXCESSIVE SPENDING of our hard earned tax dollars that the union collects from our classroom teachers; and then uses our kids school tax dollars to line the pockets of teachers union lawyers, like Mr. Doll, who is both a union lawyer and a Centerville school board representative.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

39 Users are viewing the Kids Forum right now

Search the Kids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Moviestarplanet passwords (Jan '12) 57 min Leo247 2,883
Lots of blame to go around for immigration crisis 1 hr Tea Party Supporter 2
Bullying, shame, suicide - why is masturbation ... 2 hr achyfi 3
More than 500 migrant kids sent to Pennsylvania 3 hr rex remes 4
Hundreds of protests planned this weekend acros... 4 hr Captain Yesterday 52
moviestarplanet free account! (Jul '13) 5 hr crystale danielle pittman 94
Tweet Gets Family Booted Off Plane 5 hr Leroy The Babtist 2
Unwanted REAL Member Fantage Accounts FOR GIRLS (Jul '12) 7 hr i want to put out a acc 749
•••
•••