Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments (Page 1,148)

Showing posts 22,941 - 22,960 of31,007
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
In The News

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

-from Springboro Sun news article, January 10, 2013.

Why consider a conversion school?

JIM RIGANO
Springboro Board of Education member

The Springboro School Board is examining the opportunity of re-opening the Jonathan Wright building as a Conversion School.
A Conversion School is Ohio's term for a charter school sponsored by a public school.The Springboro School board and the Warren County Educational Service Center are the only entities that can sponsor a Conversion School in the Springboro School District. A Conversion School is not a private school. Its existence and funding comes from the public school system.
So why do it? We have an excellent school system already.
Let's answer that with some questions. Why do we allow Springboro HS students to attend the Warren County Career Center? Why do we suggest some kids attend the Warren County Alternative school? Why do Miamisburg and West Carrollton School Districts sponsor conversion schools?
The answer in each case is those schools offer either a different curriculum or a different environment than the traditional public school, and the parents believe the alternative is better for their child. So even in an excellent school district like Springboro, some students and parents are looking for alternatives. One size doesn't fit all.
What might this school offer? That's a matter for an extended discussion with the community. One possibility that intrigues me is to create a classical education program as some private schools offer. Another idea might be to move away from traditional grade levels and promote children to the next level once they have mastered the skill or subject. After all, kids don't all learn and develop at the same pace. There are many other possibilities and considerations.
Would a Springboro conversion school drain resources and put our excellent system at risk? We simply can't allow that to happen. The conversion school concept only works if 1) it is cost neutral, 2) it meets a need that can't be better addressed by a change in the traditional school, and 3) it does no harm to our already outstanding schools.
Can it be done? At this point we don't know. Initial indications are that it may be financially feasible, but many questions remain. Perhaps Springboro Schools will be able to offer another alternative for students and parents without increasing taxes. We need a thorough evaluation and that would be the purpose for establishing a committee and hiring a consultant if the board is inclined to do that. We won't know until somebody looks at it, and I believe it is worth a look!
I've heard the rumors about shutting down half of the high school curriculum to fund the conversion school and allegations that a board member might financially benefit from a conversion school. These are nonsense. There is a big state and national debate around charter schools and school choice. However, the decision about this school is a local one and our focus needs to be on our schools, community, and our kids. We can't be afraid to investigate a change that could potentially benefit many students and parents.

Get Real

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Tiff, It's good to have you back. You are 100% correct in one regard. No one in their right mind takes down someone else's children as part of an overall ad hominem attack on one of their parents.
Regarding your perception of "bully" and /or "union activist", I'm quite confident I can speak for the majority of Springboro when I state that you most certainly are in need of a check-up from the neck-up.
You don't speak for me!
Get Real

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

In The News wrote:
-from Springboro Sun news article, January 10, 2013.
Why consider a conversion school?...
This is an old article, and not really worth repeating. But a question remains. If the board is truly looking out for the students' best interest then they would identify what needs there are and then try to fill those needs with the conversion school (or come up with some other approach). However, this board is looking first at the financial end of things, figuring out if we can afford the converstion school and then if we can't scrapping the whole idea. So I ask you, how is that putting children's education first?
Fly Swat

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't speak for me!
pesky little flies, nasty little droppings,
swat, swat.
reality

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't speak for me!
(note to self)..."Get Real" elects to sympathize with the words and actions of union activists, and bullies.
right back at ya

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an old article, and not really worth repeating. But a question remains. If the board is truly looking out for the students' best interest then they would identify what needs there are and then try to fill those needs with the conversion school (or come up with some other approach). However, this board is looking first at the financial end of things, figuring out if we can afford the converstion school and then if we can't scrapping the whole idea. So I ask you, how is that putting children's education first?
Are you making the assumption that the prime motivator for our board's request to enter into contract negotiations with the union is to free up money in order to begin a conversion school in Springboro?
No OEA Indoctrination

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

no budget wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone has a great sense of humor. I will rebut your comments here;
See # 1 Springboro is blessed with the bast of the best parents. Education indoctrination and bullies have taken parent responsibility away and said never mind I will take your child. Examples= the 365 policy, preschool truancy laws.
#2 Bashing the union isn't helping the students", yes it does because we can identify the problem and that is the first step toward fixing education.
3. Keep the test we have now just make sure it is traditional math, traditional History, Traditional science and so on. We have revised all of these faster than we have revised the tests.
5. Yes funded with the $50 million we currently have. We have the money to teach we don't have the money to waste. Teaching kids is why we all pay property taxes State taxes and federal taxes, not to make some adults more comfortable.
#6 basically, no budget". Funny. So the $50 million or so is "no budget". I think this community has been enormously generous.
7. That "Village" is part of the let me raise your kid government spouts. This village is not raising my kids, I am. "It takes a Village" is a union stand so they can be the village taking responsibility away from parents. The village needs to get out of our home, they are just creepy.
Where is education? Education is a business that is paid well to educate kids it is not a charity, the complaints are that they are not doing what they are being paid to do. What happens in business if the client or customer does not like the job the business they hired is doing? They get fired and the client chooses another business. Parents need to be able to chose another business of education. There I just solved the whole problem of uninvolved parents. If the business they chose does not preform it is their duty to pick another. If the child does not learn than it is the fault of the parent because they did not pick the right school for their kid.
Just say No to the village.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
One only has so many resources at their disposal. Not having enough to make it work correctly would seem to doom the concept. Unlike the Feds, we can't just print more money, we have to work within the constraints of the budget we have.

A private tutor for every child for every subject would be ideal, unfortunately we don't have that kind of money to expend.

You simply must live within your means and maximize every resource you can afford.
longhauler

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

How about saying yes to David Petroni's leadership as president of the Springboro BOE?
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Ohio Graduation Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands on the 2012 test

Reading
Advanced.......79%-100%
Accelerated.....63.5%-78%
Proficient.........40.6%-63.4%

If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Reading.

Springboro had 88 students out of 380 students taking the Ohio Graduation test fall in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.

Math
Advanced.......75%-100%
Accelerated....61%-74%
Proficient........42%-60%

If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Math.

Springboro had 40 students our of 380 students taking the Ohio Graduation test fall in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.

They further REDUCED the number of questions correct that you needed to reach the various achievement levels down a question from the 2011 already low levels.
Genius

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
Reading
Advanced.......79%-100%
If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Reading.
Springboro had 88 students out of 380 students taking the Ohio Graduation test fall in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.
Math
Advanced.......75%-100%
Accelerated....61%-74%
If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Math.
Springboro had 40 students our of 380 students taking the Ohio Graduation test fall in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.
They further REDUCED the number of questions correct that you needed to reach the various achievement levels down a question from the 2011 already low levels.
Mark Witsken is my hero! Sycammore Trails is the place to be ladies and gents! All the righteous ones hang here. And Kudos to lady Hurley too.
GED

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
Mark Witsken is my hero! Sycammore Trails is the place to be ladies and gents! All the righteous ones hang here. And Kudos to lady Hurley too.
Unlike you, I'm thinking either one of those people are capable of accurately spelling the name of the street on which they live.
OH NO

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Tiff, It's good to have you back. You are 100% correct in one regard. No one in their right mind takes down someone else's children as part of an overall ad hominem attack on one of their parents.
Regarding your perception of "bully" and /or "union activist", I'm quite confident I can speak for the majority of Springboro when I state that you most certainly are in need of a check-up from the neck-up.
Hey reality, you don't speak for me and you really don't speak for the majority of Springboro. Keep dreaming!!! I love your post Tiffany! Your comments are right on!! Your children are wonderful!
praise be

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

OH NO wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey reality, you don't speak for me and you really don't speak for the majority of Springboro. Keep dreaming!!! I love your post Tiffany! Your comments are right on!! Your children are wonderful!
All hail Tiffany's wonderful children!
Fly Swat

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

longhauler wrote:
How about saying yes to David Petroni's leadership as president of the Springboro BOE?
pesky little fly, leaving bitter droppings of ignorant
ridicule. swat, swat.
Proper Perspective

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

OH NO wrote:
<quoted text>
"We are all something, but none of us are everything."
Blaise Pascal
Reality

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
Let me know when anyone wants to see the 2012 report card?
While all of these little weasel attacks on one another seem to be great fun for none and all, they fail to address the systemic issues we have within our educational system that allows us to pass on 2000 plus students a year who simply aren't getting the education the taxpayer's are funding.
Perhaps some of the union members have solutions to these problems that fit within the constraints of our physical, fiscal, and cultural issues.
Someone on here keeps asking you to identify what groups of students a charter or conversion school would help. Please put up district proficiency scores again and please show how district special ed and gifted students did not make Average Yearly Progress AYP two years ago. Nothing has changed so I'll bet they just barely made progress this year. Show them how poorly this district ranks on the US News report because not enough AP courses and poor scores on them. Go ahead show them again and again. I don't understand the statements "Springboro is already fabulous and perfect and does not need any changes-Ignores the data and the truth."
Those people that stand up at the podium should just get informed first before they grandstand and are embarrassed by their own ignorance. Do they know they have a lot of egg on their faces when the rest of us watch the video? Stephanie Bindemann, Spencer Smith, David Bowman, Linda Bowman, Judy Miller, Jonelle Cripe, Lisa Babb, Tiffany Carlisle, Mike Webber, Amy Walker, Lynn Greenberg. Great performances but no prize. Did any of you ask questions before you got up on stage and camera? I bet not. Did any of you see the data about Springboro before you got your 5 minutes of fame. You are but vessels. Are you denying that Springboro has room to improve?
Please, Just Watching, for these people, print the proficient cut scores and how many of our students get D's and below on the State standardized tests and see if they can still look parents in the face and say "we are so great you don't need to worry". "We need you to stop paying attention because if we are great we don't need to change and lord knows we don't want to rock our gravy train to improve. For a population with 40% gifted students why would this district have one in 7 needing remedial courses to get in to college? If almost half are gifted are the rest just that deficient? If 40% at the top and 45% in the middle that means that at least 15% can't get into college, At Springboro, really?
Go to the facebook postings of these people and see what they are really about. They claim to be at WAR with this board not trying to improve, not trying to make things better for the kids but at war. WHY? See which ones are paid by the teachers union and which ones currently work for and are members of the teachers union. Follow the money.
A concerned parent? Paychecks tell the truth. Let's see yours.
Who helped and funded your campaign? Where does your spouse work now?
redundant but necessary

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, Just Watching, for these people, print the proficient cut scores and how many of our students get D's and below on the State standardized tests and see if they can still look parents in the face and say "we are so great you don't need to worry". "We need you to stop paying attention because if we are great we don't need to change and lord knows we don't want to rock our gravy train to improve.
See page 12 for key
http://www.oagc.com/files/OAGC_Grading_On_A_C...

6th grade 2011 OAA Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands
(This represents Springboro Class of ’17)

READING
Advanced.......76%-100%
Accelerated.....61%-75%
Proficient.........35%-60%

If a student was able to answer 17 out of 49 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
In 6th grade READING, Springboro had 172 students out of 502 students (34%) fall in the Proficient or below category
______
MATH
Advanced.......68%-100%
Accelerated....58%-67%
Proficient........40%-57%

If a student was able to answer 20 out of 50 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
In 6th grade MATH, Springboro had 127 students our of 502 students ( 25%) falling the Proficient or below category

7th grade 2011 OAA Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands
(This is Springboro’s Class of ’16)

READING
Advanced 81%-100%
Accelerated 66%-80%
Proficient 45%-65%(45%=Proficient)

In 7th grade READING, Springboro had 172 students out of 413 students (42%) fall in the Proficient or below category
_____
MATH
Advanced 72%-100%
Accelerated 58%-71%
Proficient 32%-57%(32%=Proficient)

In 7th grade MATH, Springboro had 140 students out of 413 students (34%) fall in the Proficient or below categories.

8th grade 2011 OAA Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands
(Springboro Class of ’15)

READING
Advanced.......83%-100%
Accelerated.....71%-82%
Proficient.........48%-70%

If a student was able to answer 23 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
In 8th grade READING, Springboro had 136 students out of 443 students (31%) fall in the Proficient or below category.

MATH
Advanced.......78%-100%
Accelerated....61%-77%
Proficient........35%-60%

If a student was able to answer 16 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
In 8th grade MATH, Springboro had 203 students out of 443 students (46%) fall the Proficient or below category.

READING
Advanced.......79%-100%

If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.

Of the 380 Springboro sophomores who took the READING portion of the Ohio Graduation Test, 88 students (23%) fell in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.

MATH
Advanced.......75%-100%
Accelerated....61%-74%

If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.

Of the 380 Springboro sophomores who took the MATH portion of the Ohio Graduation Test, 40 students (10%) fell in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.

All knowing

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Fly Swat wrote:
<quoted text>
ridicule. swat, swat.
I don't know what this means.

I think Obama is on here talking to Americans he wants to squash.
All knowing

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Fly Swat wrote:
<quoted text>
ridicule. swat, swat.
Trying to figure out what all of your fly swatting nonsense means. Maybe you are eating fly droppings and they make you hallucinate?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 22,941 - 22,960 of31,007
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

38 Users are viewing the Kids Forum right now

Search the Kids Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Columbus recreation centers safe, data show 1 hr yeah baby yeah 1
No Bailout for the Border Kids 1 hr Go Blue Forever 63
House chairman: $3.7B border request 'too much' 1 hr Le Jimbo 2
US official at border: 'We'll send you back' 1 hr RustyS 1
Unwanted REAL Member Fantage Accounts FOR GIRLS (Jul '12) 1 hr harrystyle 733
Wally's Frozen Custard in St. Clair Shores 5 hr Lai 157
Fantage MEMBER Accounts (May '12) 8 hr polkadotcute 1,553
Moviestarplanet passwords (Jan '12) 13 hr Youngg_kidd_Famous 2,823
•••