Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
22,881 - 22,900 of 31,143 Comments Last updated 8 hrs ago
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

A Tale of Two Cities

A city called Reality

January 10, 2013

Springboro Board of Education requests to open labor negotiations with The Springboro Education As

http://local.cincinnati.com/share/story/20072...

http://www.abc22now.com/shared/news/top-stori...

http://www.fox45now.com/shared/news/top-stori...

And a city called Obfuscation

January 30, 2013

OEA/SEA decline Springboro Board of Education's request to open negotiations

http://local.cincinnati.com/share/story/20136...

The union then filed an unfair labor practices lawsuit against the Board of Education for having the effrontery to tell the public what the issues were as they see them in this negotiation.

The union wants negotiations in the dark back room.

The populace should want them out in the sunshine, since its the public's money they will be wrangling over.
certainly worth repeating

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
January 30, 2013
OEA/SEA decline Springboro Board of Education's request to open negotiations.

The union then filed an unfair labor practices lawsuit against the Board of Education for having the effrontery to tell the public what the issues were as they see them in this negotiation.
The populace should want them out in the sunshine, since its the public's money they will be wrangling over.
January 30, 2013
OEA/SEA decline Springboro Board of Education's request to open negotiations.

nobama for this mama

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the factual info!
sos to boe...big brother lurking on this website has clearly shown us "Why We Need A Conversion School." Let's rally
together to Bring It On! We need a contract!
Queen for the Day

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

you are kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
levy "ladies" ? Babb, Carlisle, Jobe ?....you must have low standards..they are not ladies, but B*****S.
Let's make this perfectly clear - Jobe is the Queen B****!
All Talk

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Carlisle is all talk and no action! She was heard stating that IF Petroni and Rigano got on the school board that she would put her house on the market and move. To my knowledge she is still here and no, her house is not on the market - all talk and no action!
no turning back Tiff

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

All Talk wrote:
Carlisle is all talk and no action! She was heard stating that IF Petroni and Rigano got on the school board that she would put her house on the market and move. To my knowledge she is still here and no, her house is not on the market - all talk and no action!
Next time have Tiff record this sort of statement with use of pen and paper.
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

life is rough wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone anywhere in this sucky econony making the same money for the past two years ought to be counting their blessings. While you've been able to maintain the "same" salary while working only 9 months out of the year, many of your private sector peers have been leveraged out of their jobs or have had to deal with drastic reductions in their benefits.
So sorry you've got to pay an additional 4% to PERS, so YOU have 4% more saved to spend in your retirement! You know what they say - life's a b!tch and then you die.
Stop blaming the state of Ohio! Priority numero uno for our schools is to wean ourselves away from the evil of State and Federal influence. The budget "cuts" made in Springboro schools hasn't negatively affected our students one iota.
Thank you very much for bringing up the topic of charter schools.
Yes, charter schools have had a spotty history, particularly in urban areas. However there are many examples of conversion school success especially in areas that generally mirror the demographics of Springboro.
How can parents of this district's school children learn about conversion schools when Boro teachers (revved up by still-sore loser Babbs) do everything they can possibly can to throw stop-sticks under it's wheels?
Can you please name the districts conversion schools have been successful?
not working

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

You know what is so funny, David Bowman writes a blogg about Kohls speaking to community groups that invite her. Fills his blog with insane lies and the next community group got hundreds of people in the crowd to listen to her. Isn't that what we don't want people listening to her? People love controversy and you just got a few hundred more to listen to her message.

Kinda like when Tiffany ranted at the podium of a board meeting and the Kohls web site got 20,000 hits that month. So much for minimizing impact. Thanks guys it's not working for you either.
I have been to one of her presentations and she talks about none of what the Bownam blogg says. Mr. Bowman have you ever been to one, have you ever talked to her, have you ever pulled your head out?
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your definition of successful?

What was going on before the school got there? The educational conditions, how long prevailing, students, demographics of the community, etc, etc.?

Without knowing any of the above criteria and background, your question is entirely too vague to be answered in any relevant context to the ongoing discussion in Springboro.

Please bring a little bit more to the dinner party than an empty bowl hidden under a napkin.
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your definition of successful?
What was going on before the school got there? The educational conditions, how long prevailing, students, demographics of the community, etc, etc.?
Without knowing any of the above criteria and background, your question is entirely too vague to be answered in any relevant context to the ongoing discussion in Springboro.
Please bring a little bit more to the dinner party than an empty bowl hidden under a napkin.
Doug, I was asking about this statement "Yes, charter schools have had a spotty history, particularly in urban areas. However there are many examples of conversion school success especially in areas that generally mirror the demographics of Springboro. "

I just wanted the names of the districts referred to in this post.
Panties in a wad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

not working wrote:
You know what is so funny, David Bowman writes a blogg about Kohls speaking to community groups that invite her. Fills his blog with insane lies and the next community group got hundreds of people in the crowd to listen to her. Isn't that what we don't want people listening to her? People love controversy and you just got a few hundred more to listen to her message.
Kinda like when Tiffany ranted at the podium of a board meeting and the Kohls web site got 20,000 hits that month. So much for minimizing impact. Thanks guys it's not working for you either.
I have been to one of her presentations and she talks about none of what the Bownam blogg says. Mr. Bowman have you ever been to one, have you ever talked to her, have you ever pulled your head out?
Please be more specific about these "insane" lies.
Convert Graceland

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
http://wreg.com/2013/02/01/state-board-of-edu...
Number correction

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

not working wrote:
I was in the crowd at that 'road show' of Kohls and there were NO 'hundreds' of people there! At most there were 60 people! Get your numbers and facts straight!
not working

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Panties in a wad wrote:
<quoted text>Please be more specific about these "insane" lies.
Does it matter, he is the best advertising she has.
BTW every sentence is a lie. With this much emotion and fiction he needs to write childrens books.

A I said she does not talk about any of the things he lists. School pride, academic success, being tough on teachers. She does talk about a system failure and that includes several pieces of the system. The difference is that she does not get a pay check for her work but you do. You are paid to try to discredit her. Good luck with that one it has not worked so far and never will because facts and truth are not negotiable.

Union tactics 101 = lie, lie, lie. The truth does not matter in war. Saul Alinsky Rules for Radicles teaches that.
Truth

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

hater wrote:
<quoted text>
If she leaves, we'd have five less Brats to educate. I've heard that her kids are Troublemakers who are barely pass some of their classes. They're probably the ones scoring low on tests and bringing our district scores down! Her high school son was kicked off the cross country team this year, I heard he was suspended twice! Good riddance. Stay home with your kids Tiff, you're a terrible mother!
I am NO Carlisle fan BUT let us be clear - 1) her son was NEVER kicked off the Cross Country team this season and 2) if your issue is with her then so be it BUT leave her kids (or any kids for that matter) out of the equation!
not working

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Number correction wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in the crowd at that 'road show' of Kohls and there were NO 'hundreds' of people there! At most there were 60 people! Get your numbers and facts straight!
Oh so you did not go to the West Chester one? Get your facts straight.
The Scoffer

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Now What wrote:
Just Watching, you certainly like to write your thoughts but as usual there is actually no plan in what you wrote. No specifics, how is any of this going to be accomplished (especially with no budget).
1) Good ideas – how are they accomplished? Should we have more parent-teacher conferences? Better websites for classes/teachers/subjects? How do you make parents better parents?
2) I don’t know anyone that would say “all teachers are great/excellent” although from your point #1 –“It involves the parents backing up and supporting the teachers at home”. Good point. Whether you like the teacher or not, you need to help your students at home. FYI, bashing the unions isn’t helping the students.
3) How is this done? Do we use different tests? Do we test prior to the State tests to make sure we are doing better? This is a good idea but again, how do you do it? Who will be the one to identify what standards need to be raise and how it can be accomplished. I’m looking for specifics, not generalities.
4) What are you suggesting that the students spend more time on their math tables – maybe a good idea. What else? FYI, 70% of students are not in the Honor Society (it’s closer to about 10%).
5) I agree. What environments are you suggesting? STEM, Arts, Language, hands-on learning? Who identifies these learning environments and how are they funded, taught, etc.?
6) Again – lots of pretty words with absolutely no beef behind it. If you want to use your words for good then come up with specific things that this school can do (with basically no budget to do it).
7) Takes a village!
No beef in Now what--just the same old bull--that all our Springboro students need is a village full of union masters indoctrinating our K-12 students into Radical Rules of Unionism;
protesting for self-interest greedy empowerment over our kids' classroom teachers and our school tax dollars. The SEA should go away and teachers should be allowed to pursue the work they love to do without being held bondage by big union taxes coming out of their earnings. School teachers who perform a good day's work
should be paid a good day's wage--and why should teachers have to pay the union master for the right to work in their chosen profession?
Hold On

Amelia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

hater wrote:
<quoted text>If she leaves, we'd have five less Brats to educate. I've heard that her kids are Troublemakers who are barely pass some of their classes. They're probably the ones scoring low on tests and bringing our district scores down! Her high school son was kicked off the cross country team this year, I heard he was suspended twice! Good riddance. Stay home with your kids Tiff, you're a terrible mother!
I have never commented on anything; only been here to read. Couldn't let this one go. Why do you think it's ok to speak of children this way? How awful! And calling someone a terrible mother? Wow. Really bad post.
Private Sector

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Grass is Always Greener wrote:
While Save our Students may be right about some things from the past, these conditions are not true for the present.
For the record, as a teacher, I have NEVER received a 5 to 6 percent annual pay raise; the largest increase I ever saw at one time was 3 percent, but I haven't seen that for 5 years. My salary has also been the same for the past two years.
Also, the State Teachers Retirement System has changed greatly. Teachers have been paying 10 percent of their paycheck toward retirement; now they'll be paying 14 percent. To retire with full benefits, you have to teach for 35 years and be at least 60 years old. There is also to be no added benefit to teaching beyond this time.
I will say, however, that I disagree with his comments on spending being the problem. The problem is that when the Governor cuts state funding, the schools have to get the money from somewhere else (ergo, the tax payers through property taxes--which I agree is an unconstitutional method). Most districts (including Springboro) have already made drastic cuts to lessen the impact on the community. Unfortunately, books and supplies and personnel still cost money. You can only cut off so much your body off before you begin to kill yourself. Our Governor is placing more of the burden on the shoulders of local communities while at the same time funneling our money to for-profit charter schools, which have no oversight whatsoever.
Tell me how fair is that to a community and district that is already sacrificing together?
Perfect example of a public sector employee being totally out of touch with reality. At least you make what you did 5 years ago and have a job. Many in the private sector don't. I would love to retire at 60 but I have to save most of my own retirement as a business owner. I don't get 20% plus contributed for me like you.
Small Town Pride

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
The first thing we need to do is disabuse ourselves of the notion that we are the best thing since sliced bread. We have some deep systemic issues that need to be dealt with in this community in regards to educating our children.
1) We need to realistically evaluate where our deficiencies exist, both inside and outside the classroom. Education is not a drop your child off for 7 hours and they return educated. It involves the parents backing up and supporting the teachers at home, Requiring and helping with homework to make sure it is done. Not all parents are created equal, so we need to make sure that the parents have the resources to learn the material being taught so they can help the children learn. There seems to be a need for a study island for parents who wish to help their children but have been away from school for many years.
2) Just like there are no two children who are alike in their abilities, we need to recognize that teachers are much the same. Not all teachers are created equal, some are excellent, some are good, some are mediocre, and some are bad. Nodding our head at the union mantra that all teachers are excellent is a bit too Animal Farm for me. Let us begin to call a spade a spade and utilize our resources in house to bring those less talented up to speed or show them the door. The ones paying the price for mediocre or less ability are the very ones we are here for, the children.
3) Raising the standards by which we choose to operate and then enforcing those standards will pay huge dividends for all involved, from administrators, to teachers, to parents, to children, to taxpayers. We are not condemned to troll the base standards that the state employs, we are perfectly free to aim so much higher.
4) Real achievement that can be measured and quantified. While some may call that teaching to the test, I call that basic knowledge required to function productively in this society. Feasting on semantics to cover up failure is no substitute for actual learning and academic achievement. Rote learning of your math tables may seem boring, but the results are undeniable. Build self esteem with actual accomplishment, not with a false Honor Society where the top 70% of your class is recognized as deserving that accolade.
5) Recognize that not all children learn in the same environment and realize that other choices may be necessary. Some may thrive under a more rigorous discipline setting, while different children wilt under the same authority. Build programs that allow parents the choice of where their child should attempt to succeed.
6) We are not fated to repeat the past in hopes of gaining an alternate ending. We are free to reinvent the system, let us grasp this opportunity and move both our school district and our children forward now.
7) Speak up against the status quo and demand true excellence throughout the school district. Only the vox populi can stem this tide of mediocrity.
How fortunate are we in Springboro to have good caring neighbors willing to share their concerns for all children; investing time to research these flaws in our system; and suggesting actions to be taken for further insight. After all we have learned, isn't it time for our school district leaders/taxpayers to take that next step toward higher a professional group to help us pursue answers to why springboro should consider a conversion school?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

54 Users are viewing the Kids Forum right now

Search the Kids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Lubbock man says he was fired for being gay; la... 5 min WasteWater 256
Unwanted "Stardoll" Accounts (May '10) 27 min amanda cute girl 1,226
Moviestarplanet passwords (Jan '12) 1 hr kisses1232 2,937
Guest column: Anti-vaccination movement threate... 3 hr yellow PU - RUMBLIN 23
Fisherman's wharf restaurant fields angry calls... 3 hr Phyllis Schlafly s Stain 4
Smoking around children becoming illegal 3 hr Smokers Suck Blow 4
Fantage MEMBER Accounts (May '12) 6 hr idc whatever 1,566
Fantage Members Passwords (Aug '11) Thu makenzie 1,911
Unwanted REAL Member Fantage Accounts FOR GIRLS (Jul '12) Jul 29 Michelle 751
•••
•••