Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31968 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

sold a bill of goods

Dayton, OH

#21730 Sep 4, 2012
Let Us Stay Focused wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse Me, but why is the BOE being bashed because businesses are closing and the economy is down? And what does the down economy have to do with the criminal case of our coaches stealing money from our kids school athletics program (which is now under scrutiny by community members and now under criminal investigation?)
Springboro city homeowners and Clearcreek township homeowners have recently been "ripped of by school, city and township leaders working together" to indebt property owners to cover Wade Field with "artificial" turf; NOT because this was in the best interest of our KIDS needs; but because of the COACHES WANTS!
If you've been to a lot of varsity soccer games at Wade prior to this year you'd understand the general reasoning behind installing artificial sports turf. Whenever it rained, the center of the natural grass playing field turned into a mudpit, sometimes resulting in a rainout. In my opinion this problem alone was in no way enough to justify hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of artificial turf installation. True, alot of the time games can still be played on today's fake turf. However, if adressed a number of years ago, Wade's subsoil problems could have been addressed MUCH less expensively than the receipt we're being asked to finance now. Obviously, this didn't happen. Why? The underlying reason for Wade's recent transformation is because this district has lacked experienced personnel properly trained in maintaining natural grass sports playing surfaces. This problem continues.
The installation of artificial sports turf keeps Springboro up to par with neighboring districts that also have installed fake sports turf, such as Lebanon HS just a few miles away. "The Star Bell Sneeches had bellies with stars, the Plain Belly Sneeches had none upon thars" is the perfect foot-in-the-door for the Dr. Seuss' opportunist Sylvester McMonkey McBean. This same angle works wonders each and every day of the week for salesmen of artificial sports field turf.

Managers of certain school districts in the area such as West Carrolton and Sidney understand the secret to maintaining very nice natural grass varsity fields. If one were to ask the managers of these fields, or any other well-maintained natural grass high school playing field they would probably tell you all about the intangible values of natural grass. Intangiable numero uno is player safety.
Really Really

Cincinnati, OH

#21731 Sep 4, 2012
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
You have know idea what you are talking about!! Don't state opinions that aren't fact!! You are lying to those reading topix. Every organization has been called in to talk about fundraising. It is so sad that you people on topix want to rip those who volunteer so much time to help the kids!! You should be ashamed. Although being a KOHLS, RIGANO and PETRONI supporter means you have no shame. You will continue to post lies!! Well liar, liar pants on fire!! You are the thieves now ripping apart our great community and hurting these kids who work so hard.
Really is Really the one spreading lies; And it is Really whose pants are on fire; because Really it is our coaches who are in the hot seat.
It is really our coaches who are on this blog "protesting too much" that doing what's right for our school children and community is the real shame in Springboro!
Only shame in Springboro is that coaches did fool us once; BUT that's not going happen again!
Time for new beginnings and new athletic director and coaches to be hired for the good of our students and school district well-being and reputation.
Sorry coaches... it's been a long time coming..but it's time for you to go. Now don't bring more shame on yourselves by blaming others for your own bad choices. That's the game we grown-ups have to play to prove ourselves "really" winners.
NO WAY

United States

#21732 Sep 4, 2012
Another Moo wrote:
<quoted text>
I Agree With You.
A new organization chart of our local school government workers is now posted on the school website.
Only thing is... the School District Taxpayer should be shown as the head of the Springboro School district. As voters we elect the board representatives; who then have the responsibility to hire the the best Superintendent and Treasurer who will put our children's best interest first in all financial decisions.
While it's true that Mr. Petrey came on board, with Mr. Creager already on board as school Athletic Director, It is NOW Mr. Petrey's responsibility to Springboro families and taxpaying homewoners (who are paying Mr. Creager to properly lead our school athletic program) to dismiss Mr. Creager from his duties because, simply put, Mr. Creager's inept leadership has failed our children's best interest; and simply put, Mr. Creager and ALL
school employees (yes, even the great ones) who FAIL OUR CHILDREN now have to go.
Our school district and community will not begin healing as long as this "reasoning process" continues (by our close-knit community bullies and school employees slandering our school district leaders and district taxpayers) by protesting...
...there is a Boro coach way to do wrong the right way and get by with it.
These lies and false accusations being made against our strong school and community supporters (including Kohls, Petroni, and Rigano) by SCHOOL EMPLOYEES throughout our schools hallways, parking lots, community and sports events, public meetings, and througout our neighborhoods and business places, WILL only STOP when these school employees are dismissed.
Our school district's legal and ethical authority needs to take that next step toward a better future for our children "first
thing."
How about the lies you are spreading about Mr. Creager?? Do you really know what he has done for our athletic programs?? Get your facts straight and find out about all the wonderful things he is doing or just stop talking!

Since: Aug 12

Bellefontaine, OH

#21733 Sep 4, 2012
worried wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, the donation is up to $1.01 million now. Keep making things up - this is good stuff.
Sorry I should have formed that in a question, that was my take on the June 27 minutes, does anyone have the voting results or the amount to be donated if it is donated?
the great one

Dayton, OH

#21734 Sep 4, 2012
the great one wrote:
<quoted text>
city residents are part of the township.
add approximately another 18,000 from the city. Then your total would approx be 27,000 township residents.
disgusted

Lebanon, OH

#21735 Sep 4, 2012
When I look at all the money moving around this district away from the kids I get sick. If we took in all the money that was supposed to go to our kids we would have enough to run all our programs with money to spare. I have seen emails asking why the youth basketball program has not paid up for four years.
How many of these sweetheart deals are we the taxpayers going to have to pay for? If the schools don't get it from them they are going to have to ask us for it.

I pay enough already, I don't need to be subsidizing other people because they don't want to pay or just take the money and run.
edumacated

Dayton, OH

#21736 Sep 4, 2012
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not against the coaches working for profit, but let's face facts, Springboro kids attend Coach Wilhite's football camp because he is the head coach at the High School. I doubt if you audited the attendance of his past camps you would find many kids from out of the area. The same goes for basketball, those kids attend because the camp is put on by the High School coach. Put that camp anywhere else and attendance falls to near zero. The coaches have a more or less captive market here in there own backyard.
The coaches should be paid a percentage of the NET profit that the camps take in each year. This gives the coaches the incentive to work them and grow them in levels of participation. The excess money should find its way to the athletic fund to help defray the costs of the programs these kids one day hope to participate in. It is a better program than continually asking the parents for more money, more money, and more money as dollars are continually siphoned off into the mists of nebulous accounts with no oversight.
The coaches abilities to command respect and the stamina building perspective of football baseball and basketball camps isn't exactly what's being debated? Agree?

The report from the State auditor will very likely detail all sorts of recent and not so recent infractions involving skimming of receipts. The now infamous Booster donation could have been a thwarted attempt to mend some or all of this. The BOE is aware of a certain amount of slush funding practices among some of the coaches. Although this is not technically illegal, slush funding clearly goes directly against district policy.
Another Moo

Cincinnati, OH

#21737 Sep 4, 2012
NO WAY wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the lies you are spreading about Mr. Creager?? Do you really know what he has done for our athletic programs?? Get your facts straight and find out about all the wonderful things he is doing or just stop talking!
What lies are being spread about Mr. Creager?

Yes, I really know what he has done for our athletic programs; since now his coach has refused to tell the truth about what has been done to our athletic program; but, instead of telling the truth, has lawyered up behind a wall of arrogance toward school district authority and disrespect to school district taxpayers.

Is it not a fact that the school athletic director is the "head" of the coaches? Isn't there about four coaches who now are hiding behind legal defense and refusing to answer questions such as: Where Is the Money?

Does employment on our school staff (whose salaries are paid by district taxpayers) not mean that the athletic director should hold accountable the legal and ethical financial practices of the school coaches? Wouldn't that have been some kind of Wonderful for Mr. Creager to do for our athletic program during the years of his employment?
That wonderful thing didn't happen.
And, who but Mr. Creager should take responsibility of failing to put our kids best interest FIRST in every decision that he made made as a school administrator?
Isn't it Mr. Creager's job to strengthen our school's athletic program as a whole; instead of just financially strengthening individual sport coaches?
Is it not true that our coaches are in the hot seat NOW because they were not held accountable by their athletic director to follow legal by laws and policies; that were already set in place to protect our wonderful school coaches from drifting into self-interest financial pursuits?

Now to my understanding from what is reported in the news, there are no questions being asked whether or not Mr. Creager has done wonderful things. The question remains in our community on whether or not school employees, including the athletic director, are practicing proper procedure in the handling of their administrative financial duties and coaching jobs.

Obviously the answer is NO.(Oh, by the way, NO is also the answer to your suggestion that average citizens like another moo Just Stop Talking. That could only happen AFTER school employees Just Tell the Truth:
WHERE IS THE MONEY?)
NO WAY

United States

#21738 Sep 4, 2012
Another Moo wrote:
<quoted text>
What lies are being spread about Mr. Creager?
Yes, I really know what he has done for our athletic programs; since now his coach has refused to tell the truth about what has been done to our athletic program; but, instead of telling the truth, has lawyered up behind a wall of arrogance toward school district authority and disrespect to school district taxpayers.
Is it not a fact that the school athletic director is the "head" of the coaches? Isn't there about four coaches who now are hiding behind legal defense and refusing to answer questions such as: Where Is the Money?
Does employment on our school staff (whose salaries are paid by district taxpayers) not mean that the athletic director should hold accountable the legal and ethical financial practices of the school coaches? Wouldn't that have been some kind of Wonderful for Mr. Creager to do for our athletic program during the years of his employment?
That wonderful thing didn't happen.
And, who but Mr. Creager should take responsibility of failing to put our kids best interest FIRST in every decision that he made made as a school administrator?
Isn't it Mr. Creager's job to strengthen our school's athletic program as a whole; instead of just financially strengthening individual sport coaches?
Is it not true that our coaches are in the hot seat NOW because they were not held accountable by their athletic director to follow legal by laws and policies; that were already set in place to protect our wonderful school coaches from drifting into self-interest financial pursuits?
Now to my understanding from what is reported in the news, there are no questions being asked whether or not Mr. Creager has done wonderful things. The question remains in our community on whether or not school employees, including the athletic director, are practicing proper procedure in the handling of their administrative financial duties and coaching jobs.
Obviously the answer is NO.(Oh, by the way, NO is also the answer to your suggestion that average citizens like another moo Just Stop Talking. That could only happen AFTER school employees Just Tell the Truth:
WHERE IS THE MONEY?)
When the truth comes out, you will eat your words! Mr. Creager has done nothing but improve all our athletic programs! Get off your high horse!
We R Not Powerless

Cincinnati, OH

#21739 Sep 4, 2012
disgusted wrote:
When I look at all the money moving around this district away from the kids I get sick. If we took in all the money that was supposed to go to our kids we would have enough to run all our programs with money to spare. I have seen emails asking why the youth basketball program has not paid up for four years.
How many of these sweetheart deals are we the taxpayers going to have to pay for? If the schools don't get it from them they are going to have to ask us for it.
I pay enough already, I don't need to be subsidizing other people because they don't want to pay or just take the money and run.
We the People are voting No New Taxes in 2013!
We Must Take a Stand!
Send a Message to local schools, county, state and federal government agencies to Help Save America! Stop the Spending!
No New Taxes!
No Way is Stupid

Cincinnati, OH

#21740 Sep 4, 2012
NO WAY wrote:
<quoted text>
When the truth comes out, you will eat your words! Mr. Creager has done nothing but improve all our athletic programs! Get off your high horse!
“I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid. I really thought you already knew”– Anon
Higher Ground

Cincinnati, OH

#21741 Sep 4, 2012
NO WAY wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like the timing for the truth to come out is NOW!
Why hold back the truth when credibility is losing ground?
immature

United States

#21742 Sep 4, 2012
No Way is Stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
“I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid. I really thought you already knew”– Anon
You are very immature, GROW UP!
Higher Ground

Cincinnati, OH

#21743 Sep 4, 2012
immature wrote:
<quoted text>
You are very immature, GROW UP!
You are protesting too much. But why so, immature?

Accepting responsibility for one's "missteps" and wrong decisions is a basic principle for growing up and growing into an ethical leader.
But seldom do we see leaders take responsibility for their actions when they get caught in wrong doing. Too often people in positions of authority (such as our Springboro schools sports leaders) respond to their actions under scrutiny as if these "things just happened to them."
Yet, our school employees know that taking responsibility and admitting they made a mistake is the right thing to do in the best interest of the greater good of our school children.
We cannot help but question WHY our coaches will not do the right thing and stop hurting others by slinging "mud" in defense of their own dirty deeds.
what is going to happen

Dayton, OH

#21744 Sep 5, 2012
Higher Ground wrote:
<quoted text>
Accepting responsibility for one's "missteps" and wrong decisions is a basic principle for growing up and growing into an ethical leader.
But seldom do we see leaders take responsibility for their actions when they get caught in wrong doing. Too often people in positions of authority (such as our Springboro schools sports leaders) respond to their actions under scrutiny as if these "things just happened to them."
Yeah, your're right. These days a lot of people like to strategically place themselves to be victims so that they can be the pity-party recipients of "things happenning to them". However, Creager's general profile doesn't fit this "welfare mould".

Typically what ends up happening in these types of circumstances is a transfer to a similar position within another school district.
If you put some thought to it, significant damage has already been done regardless of guilt, innocence, or "things happening".
BoroFutureBright

Dayton, OH

#21745 Sep 5, 2012
What would these same adminstrators do to a student for the same poor decision? I think there is a universal "zero tolerance" policy for kids(which I totally disagree with). Same rules should apply to leaders if guilty.
Rated R 4 Grown Ups

Cincinnati, OH

#21746 Sep 5, 2012
what is going to happen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, your're right. These days a lot of people like to strategically place themselves to be victims so that they can be the pity-party recipients of "things happenning to them". However, Creager's general profile doesn't fit this "welfare mould".
Typically what ends up happening in these types of circumstances is a transfer to a similar position within another school district.
If you put some thought to it, significant damage has already been
done regardless of guilt, innocence, or "things happening".
This post is Rated R for RESPONSIBLE grown-ups.

Warning: If you are of the Saul Alinsky "victim-minded" close- knit community kind, you may experience hot flashes of anger, resentment and grievances, jealousy and envy, and intense desires to covet what your neighbors have (not because YOU need more; but just because you think your neighbor should NOT have MORE).
If that occurs while reading Responsible grown up posts on this blog, just take a deep breath and repeat 13 times these healing words: NO NEW TAXES.

Have thought about "what's going to happen.
It is understood that IF our local school government leaders are not working for us in the best interest of our school children
and our community, then we the people can fire these school employees who, after all, are employed by the local taxpayers.
We do have a renewal school levy coming up next year.
We have just hired a new superintendent to manange our school's finances in the best interest of our children first while living within the means of our community resources.
It is understood that taxpayers are paying about $54 million for our children's education in our Springboro school district.
It is understood by taxpayers that our schools sports programs are to be "fully financially supported by the Boosters fundraising business and NOT paid for from our school taxes collected for our Children's Classroom Education first.
We learn from the local newspapers that this school superintendent is earning the largest salary ever paid in this school district; because he is the best. And, Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners will settle for only the best for our children's future.
We have confidence that our new district leadership will do the right thing in supervising ALL administrative employees (including the new athletic director when he comes on board).
Tough circumstances which our athletic director and coaches have created in our school district NOW demand Tough decisions on the part of our school district's highly paid administrative leaders.
Our future looks bright!
But, we always have to have a plan set in place for storm clouds a-brewing for our children's future and get on board supporting our new school leadership and our new philosophy of putting our children's best interest first in each decision made.
Who are you talking about

Springfield, OH

#21747 Sep 5, 2012
what is going to happen wrote:
<quoted text>
If you put some thought to it, significant damage has already been done regardless of guilt, innocence, or "things happening".
This is true for the BOE as well. This BOE has been brutalized for doing the right thing, however, that is not what the election losers have said. They tell people that this board is out of control, micromanaging, meddling etc... Why would they say this? To hurt the reputation of these hard workers on our BOE. Are they guilty of doing their job? YES and all the NFSS gals and Athletic boosters tell people is that they are bad people doing ridiculous things for some personal agenda. Really? Haven't they saved us poor taxpayers millions? What have they done- save the children, that's what.
the reason

Dayton, OH

#21748 Sep 5, 2012
Who are you talking about wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true for the BOE as well. This BOE has been brutalized for doing the right thing, however, that is not what the election losers have said. They tell people that this board is out of control, micromanaging, meddling etc... Why would they say this?
At the end of the day, "the kids" aren't priority number one for the levy losers. Their agenda is their wages and benefits, and nothing but their wages and benefits. They scour the front seats of each and every BOE meeting in order to seek out potential weak spots they feel they may be able to infiltrate.
Where Is the Respect

Cincinnati, OH

#21749 Sep 5, 2012
the reason wrote:
<quoted text>
At the end of the day, "the kids" aren't priority number one for the levy losers. Their agenda is their wages and benefits, and nothing but their wages and benefits. They scour the front seats of each and every BOE meeting in order to seek out potential weak spots they feel they may be able to infiltrate.
What the eye of the camera does not see is SEA official, Sarah Thornbury,(backing up the levy losers a few seats behind, in the school hallways and parking lots)loudly and publicly critizing our school district and community members who won't pass levies, blaming the new board for getting rid of Boro's best and complaining "why would anyone want to work in this school district?"

Question is: Why would Ms. Thornbury, who chooses to work in the school district, constantly "tear down" the reputation of her own students' school and community?
It this acceptable behavior of an educator?
What would she do if her students spread lies about her the same way that Sarah Thornbury spreads lies about good hard working supporters of our schools and community, including our school board representatives, who are doing what's right for our school children and our community.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chicago kids are bringing education to girls (a... 2 hr MillenialsNeedTuneUp 3
News New center shows surge in demand for children's... 6 hr Humanspirit 1
News Step-Dad Accused of Smuggling Cocaine With 3 Ki... 10 hr Dave frasier 1
News Felony charges for North Adams man after kids e... 10 hr turnip 13
News Missouri bill would limit transgender school ba... 12 hr Shoney 2
how to get somone elses account on msp (Jun '15) 22 hr Isdhadowlady09 7
Unwanted Wizard101 accounts (Jun '10) Tue wizard101lover 2,798
More from around the web