Parents Protest Yoga Being Taught in Public Schools

Jan 20, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Inhabitat

Yoga is practiced all over the world because of the health benefits it provides, but can yoga be divorced from its Hindu roots? That's the question that parents began asking in Encinitas, California when they learned that their children were practicing Ashtanga yoga at school as part of a comprehensive fitness program.

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated May 25, 2013
You gotta be kidding

Encinitas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Get a life.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

yes,

Yoga initially for kids and yoga program should be organized into schools. These programs improve their confidence.

Since: Apr 13

Cebu, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

A healthy lifestyle taught early on is bound to stick to you. So I guess kids nowadays are lucky to have yoga integrated into school.
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2013

If it's physical yoga, absolutely no problem. It can be totally divorced from its Hindu origins. But if we are speaking of meditation yoga, I agree with the protesting parents.

All my life I have felt a bitter hate toward Jehovah Witnesses or evangelical Christians trying to force their version of Christianity on me. Now I see a rare case where it is Christians who might possibly be having my heritage slipped like a mickey to their kids. If this is indeed going on, wait a second!

My neighbor's religion is like my neighbor's wife. I will treat her with respect, but will never flirt or get into bed with her. I vehemently will not tolerate anything explicitly promoting Christianity into my house. I have to give others the same respect I demand for my own privacy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

38 Users are viewing the Kids Forum right now

Search the Kids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Hundreds of protests planned this weekend acros... 4 min TRansom 105
Lubbock man says he was fired for being gay; la... 12 min Corbutt of the Joke 106
Desperate need for special guardians in Lee County 1 hr LEO 477 3
US considering refugee status for Honduran chil... 1 hr red oktober 4
7-year-old leukemia patient Jacob Burns, of Osc... (Mar '10) 1 hr Its me Jacob 16
Fantage MEMBER Accounts (May '12) 3 hr pinkstardust 1,565
fantage member accounts or old nons (Jul '11) 4 hr rainshower25 on fantage 277
Moviestarplanet passwords (Jan '12) 22 hr Molly 2,902
•••
•••