Children reap lessons from year's fin...

Children reap lessons from year's final Wee Waddie Rodeo

There are 5 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Feb 12, 2011, titled Children reap lessons from year's final Wee Waddie Rodeo. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Cade Sells, 5, sat alongside his cousin Brad Moreno, 9, chomping on Doritos Tortilla Chips on Saturday outside Memorial Colosseum at McGee Park in Farmington.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

eric mills

Fort Bragg, CA

#1 Feb 13, 2011
Here's a lesson the kids are failing to learn, sadly.

EVERY major animal welfare organizations in the country (ASPCA, American Humane, Humane Society of the U.S., Animal Welfare Institute, etc.) condemns all rodeos due to their inherent cruelty, AND FOR THE NEGATIVE MESSAGE THAT SUCH MISTREATMENT OF ANIMALS SENDS TO IMPRESSIONABLE YOUNG CHILDREN. Not to mention insensitive adults.

For most of the animals, rodeo is merely a detour en route to the slaughterhouse. Rodeo is a macho anachronism which belong in the dustbin of history. We can do better.

Boycott all rodeos.
just readin stuff

Farmington, NM

#2 Feb 13, 2011
Oh brother
Billie

Huntsville, AL

#3 Oct 12, 2012
Eric, I just came across this tonight as I'm trying to look up my kids standings in their rodeo association. My first reaction was just to get mad at you speaking of something you know nothing about. Then I realized that it's hard for people that aren't around rodeo and that don't see behind the scenes to know what all happens, and
why. Here is a little bit of information on a fe events. For the Muttin Bustin (sheep riding), there is a weight limit. It's kindof
like a 3rd or 4th grader carrying a book bag with some of their school books. The weight ratio would compare to that. As for the flank strap on bulls for bull riding, theflank strap feels to a bull, like being tickled feels to us. It doesn't touch
their testicles in any way, lilke I have heard a lot of people say. Mostly, to get a bull to buck is in it's genetics. That's the main factor in determining a bulls desire and ability to buck Often times, bulls won't buck with the flank straps. As for spurs, with bull riding,
they are required to wear dull, loosely locked rowels. It is to help the cowboy maintain balance by giving him added grip with his feet. You have to remember that a bulls skin is 7 times thicker than a humans so they dont cut or scratch a
bulls hide. If a rodeo rider were to ever cut or hurt an animal, they would be disqualified and get a huge fine. As for spurs with horses, a person should absolutally know the proper way to use spurs before ever riding a horse with
them. Properly used, spurs don't hurt the horse, but suppliment the other ways in which the rider controls the horse, through voice commands and body position. Otherwise, they can hurt, spook, or make a horse insensitive to spurs. As for
roping, that is the oldest "cowboy way" around. When you are out on a ranch, and you have cattle that needs doctored, vaccinated or any kind of treatment, you have to rope the cattle and treat them. When being roped in the rodeo, they wrap
their horns in leather or nylon so they don't get rope burn, and there is a limit as to how many times one can be roped. You have to keep in mind that animals are made to withstand so much more than humans and what might hurt us, might not hurt them. Rodeo stock are a group of fine athletes. At rodeos, there are vets there same as there are paramedics. The animals are on the best of
diets to get all the nutrients they need. They are always up to date on vaccinations and are watched closely by veternarians. They are excercised
regularly. They are very well taken care of. If they do by chance get hurt,they have time off same as people do. Rodeo livestock aren't treated like the Matador Bullfighters, who bleed out the bulls first and kill them. Most rodeo livestock end up retiring to a nice, green pasture to live out their days. I have been around rodeo my whole entire life. The livestock are well cared for
and not abused. At the rodeo's my kids ride in, there are all of the events. Their horses love their job. They work as a team. It might be good if you ever wanted to, spend
time with a stock contractor, and other rodeo people to see behind the scenes.
Billie

Huntsville, AL

#4 Oct 12, 2012
Eric, I just came across this tonight as I'm trying to look up my kids standings in their rodeo association. My first reaction was just to get mad at you speaking of something you know nothing about. Then I realized that it's hard for people that aren't around rodeo and that don't see behind the scenes to know what all happens, and
why. Here is a little bit of information on a fe events. For the Muttin Bustin (sheep riding), there is a weight limit. It's kindof
like a 3rd or 4th grader carrying a book bag with some of their school books. The weight ratio would compare to that. As for the flank strap on bulls for bull riding, theflank strap feels to a bull, like being tickled feels to us. It doesn't touch
their testicles in any way, lilke I have heard a lot of people say. Mostly, to get a bull to buck is in it's genetics. That's the main factor in determining a bulls desire and ability to buck Often times, bulls won't buck with the flank straps. As for spurs, with bull riding,
they are required to wear dull, loosely locked rowels. It is to help the cowboy maintain balance by giving him added grip with his feet. You have to remember that a bulls skin is 7 times thicker than a humans so they dont cut or scratch a
bulls hide. If a rodeo rider were to ever cut or hurt an animal, they would be disqualified and get a huge fine. As for spurs with horses, a person should absolutally know the proper way to use spurs before ever riding a horse with
them. Properly used, spurs don't hurt the horse, but suppliment the other ways in which the rider controls the horse, through voice commands and body position. Otherwise, they can hurt, spook, or make a horse insensitive to spurs. As for
roping, that is the oldest "cowboy way" around. When you are out on a ranch, and you have cattle that needs doctored, vaccinated or any kind of treatment, you have to rope the cattle and treat them. When being roped in the rodeo, they wrap
their horns in leather or nylon so they don't get rope burn, and there is a limit as to how many times one can be roped. You have to keep in mind that animals are made to withstand so much more than humans and what might hurt us, might not hurt them. Rodeo stock are a group of fine athletes. At rodeos, there are vets there same as there are paramedics. The animals are on the best of
diets to get all the nutrients they need. They are always up to date on vaccinations and are watched closely by veternarians. They are excercised
regularly. They are very well taken care of. If they do by chance get hurt,they have time off same as people do. Rodeo livestock aren't treated like the Matador Bullfighters, who bleed out the bulls first and kill them. Most rodeo livestock end up retiring to a nice, green pasture to live out their days. I have been around rodeo my whole entire life. The livestock are well cared for
and not abused. At the rodeo's my kids ride in, there are all of the events. Their horses love their job. They work as a team. It might be good if you ever wanted to, spend
time with a stock contractor, and other rodeo people to see behind the scenes
Billie

Huntsville, AL

#5 Dec 10, 2012
time with a stock contractor, and other rodeo people to see behind the scenes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Few kids receiving mental health care - Zeni (Jul '08) 36 min risk-of-early-death 20
News Kylie Jenner is pregnant 11 hr Geezer 1
News Jennifer Michelle Arnold 12 hr guest 11
News Milton Fall Fair: Celebrating - the rural way:W... Sat Mac 1
News Man accused of stalking mom, masturbating in vi... Sat weapon X 10
News Cool activities are happening at the Library (Jul '12) Fri stay Kool eh 2
News Free car seat safety event scheduled - Fri aintnew 1
More from around the web