Mountain Mission School offers hope i...

Mountain Mission School offers hope in the mountains

There are 230 comments on the Http story from May 3, 2010, titled Mountain Mission School offers hope in the mountains. In it, Http reports that:

GRUNDY, Va. - Claudius says he's among "the chosen few." You wouldn't think that from the circumstances he was raised in: At age 13, he was about to be sent to foster care or to live with a relative who'd harmed him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Http.

been there

United States

#143 Jun 17, 2012
i also knew frank santiago and his sisters they were from central america war torn at that time
doc was a toucher feeler type of guy many a story was told to me from my friends who saw him
been there

United States

#144 Jun 17, 2012
a lot of good has also came from mms things change people change people should forgive and forget
Gary Lowe MMS 1970

Wilmington, DE

#145 Jul 7, 2012
Excuse me, Dr. McDonald along with being a "toucher feeler type" was also a damn "child sexual predator". Why did he train in medical surgery but switch to pediatrics, why was he so active in the Boy Scouts, why did he develop such a close relationship with MMS? He did these things because like any other child sexual predator he desired easy access to children. Furthermore, did he ever have easy access to children at MMS. He had full access to the boy's dorm, and he put a small two bedroom addition on his house where could and did keep the boys overnight, of course, while giving "free medical services" to the entire MMS community. All with the blessing of the owners of MMS. Give me a break!!!
been there wrote:
i also knew frank santiago and his sisters they were from central america war torn at that time
doc was a toucher feeler type of guy many a story was told to me from my friends who saw him
Gary Lowe MMS 1970

Wilmington, DE

#146 Jul 7, 2012
I agree with you - I hope the owners of MMS and the horrible events that took place there and at Dr. McDonald's house/office are revealed. I know that I for one have contacted all of the major news orgainizations in an attempt to get an investigative journalist to investigate MMS, Dr. McDonald and former MMS students to get the true story out. It really is a sad story and so much damage was done to very many children with the knowledge of the owners of MMS, and community leaders (religious, medical, and legal) that were aware of what was going on.
Casey wrote:
<quoted text>
Little by little, God will send for them. McDonald was first. He could not have died a more fitting death. His son got his due too! There were people who tried to expose MMS. Someday, it will come. I hope I live to see that day.
Gary Lowe MMS 1970

Wilmington, DE

#147 Jul 7, 2012
I have contacted ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, NPR, along with specific news shows such as 60 Minutes, Nightline, and any others that I thought would be interested in investigating MMS, Dr. McDoanld, and the Grundy community leaders who allowed the child abuse to go on for literally decades. So far I have had very little response, but as the sayging goes there is strenght in numbers - any other victims should do the same. Speak up!!!!
go national wrote:
someone should try to contact one of the national shows like today show or dateline maybe that would get this stuff broght to light.
Gary Lowe MMS 1970

Wilmington, DE

#148 Jul 7, 2012
Thank you for speaking up and I understand what your brother is going through. We probably know each other as I was there during the same times as you.
powersthatbe wrote:
I attended MMS in the 60s and early 70s. I have many bad memories of MMS. The only good memories were of the friends that I had there. Each of us will have our own memory because of what we experienced. However, to tell someone that they are lying because you never had the same experience is asinine. I spent 13 years there and I pray the times are different now, but I know what I experienced and I don’t know what you experienced. Your experience may be totally different because of the years that you were on campus. My dear family member was abused by Dr. McDonald; the authorities were told and nothing was done! Who in their right mind wants to make something up like this! Several have said Dr. McDonald was a wonderful doctor; maybe he was to some, but he wasn’t to these boys. The fact that he did all of these great deeds -- so what! Look at Sandusky and all of these men now who are being brought out in the public eye on sexual abuse charges -- they did a lot of good deeds too, but it was under criminal pretenses. People like that hide behind their good deeds; they don’t walk around with a banner that says “I’m a pedophile, can I spend the afternoon with your little boy”! They do good deeds to hide their filthy, disgusting obsession! The lesson learned is that if you are an official and the sickening words “sexual abuse” are just hinted or whispered within earshot of you, it is paramount that you follow not only every legal protocol of reporting it, but also follow your heart and do not stop or waiver in your investigation until you turn over every rock and find the truth. Those at MMS who knew about this abuse failed in every way. My family member who was abused has suffered from the memories of this horrific abuse for almost 47 years – 47 years folks! His abuse started as a young little boy. Don’t you think it is time that he deserves to have peace of mind and an answer as to why he wasn’t protected? Is it too much to ask that someone investigate it and find out the truth? For those of you who think this is all made up, I hope that tonight (just for one night) that this topic keeps you awake, that it makes you think, that it makes you ponder, that it makes you toss and turn, that the thought of it keeps you awake, and then think about my family member who has gone through this every single night for the last 47 years!

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Since: Jun 11

Big Rock,Va

#149 Jul 8, 2012
Doctor McDonald was a ''feeler type of guy'', is a misrepresentation of a accused child molestor. I have heard stories from reputable people about his bedside manner.

The shame in all of this, is people in Buchanan County, have shut their eyes/ears/mind/soul to all the accusations/facts brought out on here. Anyone can be like an ostrich and bury their heads in the sand and hear/see/know no evil has happened.

MR. SWINEY and his family and all other teachers and associates owe all former MMS students an apology. Which will never come from him, hopefully he has repented of the sins he has committed at MMS. The beating of children and tying a nine yr old child to a bed.Allowing an accused child molestor access to children.

MR. RON HELLER for not having the guts to admit something wrong was going on at MMS. Admitting to tying a nine year old child to a bed. Taking over the Boy Scout Troop of MMS, from an accused child molestor.

I SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST

FORMER MMS STUDENTS for hiding the truth and denying the things that happened there. Especially Randal Lee Marrs, who forsook his birth family for a place like MMS. Someone with the guts who has access to Randal Lee Marrs, ask ''ChickenHawk'', why he doesn't call his family. I wonder if Randy knows what ''ChickenHawk'' really means, I'd change me nickname quickly.

So all you former MMS students, go and tell Mr. Hertzog I mentioned his name here. Go tell Marlene hello for me, works in Buchanan County Social Services ( used to be a friend of mine, until I started here). A good way to cover up the truth, infiltrate the places, that govern a school like MMS.

Posted by

Johnny H. Marrs
Gary Lowe - MMS 1970

Wilmington, DE

#150 Jul 9, 2012
Well I have to defend some of the MMS teachers. Ron Heller did confront Dr. McDonald about the rumors of sexual misconduct. He did this because the owners of the school would not do it. He also took over the Boy Scout Troop in an attempt to keep Dr. McDonald away from the boys. However like Mr. Heller said - Dr. McDonald got around that by having some of the boys come up to his house and do work. In addition, because the owners of the school would not stop Dr. McDonald's contact with the school Dr. McDonald was still able to see the students as patients whenever they needed medical assistance. Mr. Heller came to work at MMS because he wanted to help people unlike the owners of the school who only want to protect the reputation of the school at the expense of the children and to keep the support rolling in from good people all over the country. The owners of the school still say that none of these horrible things happened but these things did happen and the victims are still suffering.
regina steele marrs wrote:
Doctor McDonald was a ''feeler type of guy'', is a misrepresentation of a accused child molestor. I have heard stories from reputable people about his bedside manner.
The shame in all of this, is people in Buchanan County, have shut their eyes/ears/mind/soul to all the accusations/facts brought out on here. Anyone can be like an ostrich and bury their heads in the sand and hear/see/know no evil has happened.
MR. SWINEY and his family and all other teachers and associates owe all former MMS students an apology. Which will never come from him, hopefully he has repented of the sins he has committed at MMS. The beating of children and tying a nine yr old child to a bed.Allowing an accused child molestor access to children.
MR. RON HELLER for not having the guts to admit something wrong was going on at MMS. Admitting to tying a nine year old child to a bed. Taking over the Boy Scout Troop of MMS, from an accused child molestor.
I SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST
FORMER MMS STUDENTS for hiding the truth and denying the things that happened there. Especially Randal Lee Marrs, who forsook his birth family for a place like MMS. Someone with the guts who has access to Randal Lee Marrs, ask ''ChickenHawk'', why he doesn't call his family. I wonder if Randy knows what ''ChickenHawk'' really means, I'd change me nickname quickly.
So all you former MMS students, go and tell Mr. Hertzog I mentioned his name here. Go tell Marlene hello for me, works in Buchanan County Social Services ( used to be a friend of mine, until I started here). A good way to cover up the truth, infiltrate the places, that govern a school like MMS.
Posted by
Johnny H. Marrs

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#151 Jul 9, 2012
Gary Lowe - MMS 1970 wrote:
Well I have to defend some of the MMS teachers. Ron Heller did confront Dr. McDonald about the rumors of sexual misconduct. He did this because the owners of the school would not do it. He also took over the Boy Scout Troop in an attempt to keep Dr. McDonald away from the boys. However like Mr. Heller said - Dr. McDonald got around that by having some of the boys come up to his house and do work. In addition, because the owners of the school would not stop Dr. McDonald's contact with the school Dr. McDonald was still able to see the students as patients whenever they needed medical assistance. Mr. Heller came to work at MMS because he wanted to help people unlike the owners of the school who only want to protect the reputation of the school at the expense of the children and to keep the support rolling in from good people all over the country. The owners of the school still say that none of these horrible things happened but these things did happen and the victims are still suffering.
<quoted text>
I still respect Mr. Heller and applaud him for sticking to his word, when he left MMS after Marvin Swiney became President. Him and his wife were dedicated to the work they did. He has retired from working at a Camp in Ky.

Still today, the teachers will not admit any wrongdoing on MMS's part and the worse part, some former students will not admit what happened to them.

MMS has money coming in all the time, even students driving real nice cars. These students are suppose to be poor and have no money to spend. I will admit economic times are different now , then when I was there. I am not a racist either.

I hear stories about Dr.McDonald alot in Buchanan County, and no one will admit, he was a pedophile and an accused child molestor. I have encouraged many former students to voice their opinions about MMS, whether they were abused/mistreated/ or treated well there.

I have heard of former students, taking horror stories to their graves and afraid to tell their stories. I have seen former students who accused MMS of abuse, attend MMS's Reunion ( gag me with a fork). I heard a story of another baby adopted out of MMS , to a family in Tennesse and took over 20yrs to find her.

Rest is peace Faron Wade, Tommy Dunford, and other former students who have passed away and I knew them.

Posted by
Johnny Marrs
comment

Richlands, VA

#152 Jul 9, 2012
<quoted text>
I still respect Mr. Heller and applaud him for sticking to his word, when he left MMS after Marvin Swiney became President. Him and his wife were dedicated to the work they did. He has retired from working at a Camp in Ky.
Still today, the teachers will not admit any wrongdoing on MMS's part and the worse part, some former students will not admit what happened to them.
MMS has money coming in all the time, even students driving real nice cars. These students are suppose to be poor and have no money to spend. I will admit economic times are different now , then when I was there. I am not a racist either.
I hear stories about Dr.McDonald alot in Buchanan County, and no one will admit, he was a pedophile and an accused child molestor. I have encouraged many former students to voice their opinions about MMS, whether they were abused/mistreated/ or treated well there.
I have heard of former students, taking horror stories to their graves and afraid to tell their stories. I have seen former students who accused MMS of abuse, attend MMS's Reunion ( gag me with a fork). I heard a story of another baby adopted out of MMS , to a family in Tennesse and took over 20yrs to find her.
Rest is peace Faron Wade, Tommy Dunford, and other former students who have passed away and I knew them.
Posted by
Johnny Marrs
Maybe some former students find it easier to keep their mouths shut. Maybe they see how you have been ridiculed and don't want to expose themselves to the same verbal abuse that you've gone through since you spoke out. Who wants to be called a LIAR? Who wants to be labeled a "troubled" person? The one person who filed the lawsuit had their character completely assasinated..you know. Think about it....how many years have allegations against McDonald been swirling and not a single thing has been done except to call the accusers LIARS.

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#153 Jul 9, 2012
Many former students live every day with the realization, that they saw atrocities being done and have refused to say anything.

In my opinion, if this is the case. The former students who witnessed abuse (whether molestation or physical), have not earned the right to condemn someone who was abused and speaks out about it.

Yes I testified in one trial againist MMS and would do so again, I repeat Johnny Dotson wasn't a troubled young man or a psycho. He had the guts to open his mouth and tell the truth, whether anyone believed him or not.

MMS could think less of anyone living in this county.

A challenge to anyone on here... find me someone from Buchanan County in the 1960's, 70's , until now. Who was a legitimate orphan and had no family and needed to be in MMS. About 99.9% of kids there, were put into MMS by an corrupt Welfare System. I can not recall a child , that was an orphan and went to MMS. Though they thought my brother was, they adopted him out.

A former friend works at BCDSS and denies any wrongdoing by MMS, and works in Administration. They never put kids in orphanages any more and have foster homes for kids.

Posted by
Johnny H. Marrs
My Experience

Winchester, MA

#155 Aug 27, 2012
Many former students live every day with the realization, that they saw atrocities being done and have refused to say anything.
In my opinion, if this is the case. The former students who witnessed abuse (whether molestation or physical), have not earned the right to condemn someone who was abused and speaks out about it.
Yes I testified in one trial againist MMS and would do so again, I repeat Johnny Dotson wasn't a troubled young man or a psycho. He had the guts to open his mouth and tell the truth, whether anyone believed him or not.
MMS could think less of anyone living in this county.
A challenge to anyone on here... find me someone from Buchanan County in the 1960's, 70's , until now. Who was a legitimate orphan and had no family and needed to be in MMS. About 99.9% of kids there, were put into MMS by an corrupt Welfare System. I can not recall a child , that was an orphan and went to MMS. Though they thought my brother was, they adopted him out.
A former friend works at BCDSS and denies any wrongdoing by MMS, and works in Administration. They never put kids in orphanages any more and have foster homes for kids.
Posted by
Johnny H. Marrs
I just wanted to add my experience when I was at MMS in early-mid 1950's. When my family fell on hard times my Dad left Grundy (mill branch) for Florida to find work, because the Coal Mines were starting to play out, while he was gone my Mom fell ill and my grandmother placed all of us kids (8 of us)in MMS while she looked after Mom.
I was very young and had to watch over my younger sister and baby brother in the girls domatory, my baby brother wet the bed one nite and the next day a very old man who either worked there or just lived there, I don't remember his name but he always had on a black suit and carried a long blacksnake whip that I was petridfied of because I was so afraid of snakes it was real shiny, anyway before you know it it was wraped around my neck and he was yelling at me that it was my duty to make sure the kids went to the bathroom durning the nite, I ended up having to washing out the sheets by hand myself, I was only maybe 5-6 years old.

My Dad got word of us being there and rushed home and we moved to Florida.

I condenced my story to keep it short but just wanted to say that I believe every word that has been printed in these threads about MMS.

God Bless You All!

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#156 Aug 27, 2012
My Experience wrote:
<quoted text>
I just wanted to add my experience when I was at MMS in early-mid 1950's. When my family fell on hard times my Dad left Grundy (mill branch) for Florida to find work, because the Coal Mines were starting to play out, while he was gone my Mom fell ill and my grandmother placed all of us kids (8 of us)in MMS while she looked after Mom.
I was very young and had to watch over my younger sister and baby brother in the girls domatory, my baby brother wet the bed one nite and the next day a very old man who either worked there or just lived there, I don't remember his name but he always had on a black suit and carried a long blacksnake whip that I was petridfied of because I was so afraid of snakes it was real shiny, anyway before you know it it was wraped around my neck and he was yelling at me that it was my duty to make sure the kids went to the bathroom durning the nite, I ended up having to washing out the sheets by hand myself, I was only maybe 5-6 years old.
My Dad got word of us being there and rushed home and we moved to Florida.
I condenced my story to keep it short but just wanted to say that I believe every word that has been printed in these threads about MMS.
God Bless You All!
I know this to be pretty accurate, as young children were left in the girls side for up to five years of age. They were cared for , by the older girls who lived on the girls side.

I believe more people will come forward and tell of their experiences.

Posted by
Johnny Marrs
still trying to rebuild

Helmsburg, IN

#157 Aug 29, 2012
I had no idea this forum was available and active. I worked at MMS... If anyone is able to truly get ahold of someone with the ability to legally infiltrate the "hedge of protection" the powers that be have built around themselves, I have a lot to share. I have first hand knowledge of sexual abuse, extramarital affairs with students and incest that was covered up by the administration. I died spiritually while working there and will never go back unless God provides a way to protect the children there from the lies of the evil one. There is a lot of "good", but it will never be enough to replace the lifelong negative affects of what is really going on beneath the surface.
still trying to rebuild

Helmsburg, IN

#158 Aug 29, 2012
I also know the state has tried numerous times to get into MMS to investigate and because of some law in the books from a long time ago, the state has no juridiction there. An "internal" investigation was all that happened and of course showed no reason for concern. If someone does find a loophole or way around this, please share on here so those of us with information can finally share it and provide some answers for what has happened.

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#159 Aug 31, 2012
still trying to rebuild wrote:
I also know the state has tried numerous times to get into MMS to investigate and because of some law in the books from a long time ago, the state has no juridiction there. An "internal" investigation was all that happened and of course showed no reason for concern. If someone does find a loophole or way around this, please share on here so those of us with information can finally share it and provide some answers for what has happened.
The reason the state has no juridiction, it was written into the first charter for the school. I am researching and trying to find out when they changed the charter , from a whites only school, to a private school.

Posted by
Johnny Marrs
been there

Alpena, MI

#160 Sep 1, 2012
hey j marrs what happened t o faron wade and tom dunford? i went to mms from 70 till 76 and was friends with faron wade and your brother willie.
been there

Alpena, MI

#161 Sep 1, 2012
hey still trying to rebuild,
we should talk ! you will remember me and i you
i know many avenues to explore and a lot of info
to share. please contact me

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#162 Sep 1, 2012
been there wrote:
hey j marrs what happened t o faron wade and tom dunford? i went to mms from 70 till 76 and was friends with faron wade and your brother willie.
Faron Wade has passed away and Tommy Dunford has passed away also. My brother Willie passed away in 1977, auto accident.

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news.

Posted by
Johnny Marrs

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#163 Sep 1, 2012
been there wrote:
hey still trying to rebuild,
we should talk ! you will remember me and i you
i know many avenues to explore and a lot of info
to share. please contact me
My email is marchen6@hotmail.com , send me an emai first. I am willing to discuss MMS.

I have a good memory of students of MMS.

Posted by
Johnny Marrs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LGBTQ advocates turn Victoria SOGI protest into... 2 hr Gremlin 4
News Halton Region invests over $2M for community pr... 8 hr Food 4 Life eh 1
News 'So many other Tinas out there:' Caregiver call... 22 hr CTNelson 7
News First-grader channels her civil rights heroes a... 23 hr sesostrus 1
News Gay teacher says coworkers told him to 'find a ... Mon Tiny Emolument Hands 2
News Jim Carrey apologizes for using photos kids' ph... (Jul '15) Sun C Kersey 2
News Intelligent Design's One Valid Scientific Point Sun Davidjayjordan 98