Mountain Mission School offers hope in the mountains

May 3, 2010 Full story: Http 221

GRUNDY, Va. - Claudius says he's among "the chosen few." You wouldn't think that from the circumstances he was raised in: At age 13, he was about to be sent to foster care or to live with a relative who'd harmed him.

Full Story
Power

United States

#186 Nov 22, 2012
The power has gone to Mr Slone head
Power

United States

#187 Nov 22, 2012
To spend on IPads for everyone
Out Of Buch wrote:
I needed a good laugh and that article gave it to me. If anyone has ever tried to volunteer their time, money, or items to Mountain Mission they know how it really is there. No one appreciates anything you try to do for them there. Look at the so called administrators of the place. Where does the money the so called orphanage really go?
Beza student at MMS

Bristol, VA

#189 Dec 6, 2012
Terrible wrote:
The place should be made operate on private funds that they receive from tuitions or what ever. All donations should be stopped.The dam place is a private school with mostly rich children from out of the country. Why in the hell should we give donations to help educate rich peoples children? The dam bunch at MMS does nothing for this county but live like kings and snub the poor.
I can tell u none of us are rich. my family couldn't take care of me and my 3 brothers we had gone bankrupt 3 times, MMS saved us now all my brothers are in college or already finished you need to think before you speak now your facts before you judge.
Beza student at MMS

Bristol, VA

#190 Dec 6, 2012
I can tell u none of us are rich. my family couldn't take care of me and my 3 brothers we had gone bankrupt 3 times, MMS saved us now all my brothers are in college or already finished you need to think before you speak now your facts before you judge.
Beza student at MMS

Bristol, VA

#191 Dec 6, 2012
Power wrote:
Do you even know who he is ? You are very rude and ignorant.
wHat

Grundy, VA

#192 Dec 7, 2012
I wonder how many tractor trailer loads of Christmas presents, have arrived at MMS.

They are kept in the church, until Christmas.

How many Church of Christ, have bought presents, for these less fortunate ''rich'' kids at MMS, and forgot about the coal miner's kids and other poor children in Buchanan County.

I have never seen any Church of Christ or any other churches in this county, bring presents to poor and needy kids here.

The presents are loaded into the dining room, and then they receive them Christmas morning.

If you have this world's goods and see a brother hath need, and shut your bowels of compassion up againist him,how dwelleth the love God in you.

MMS and the other rich Churches of Christ, time to spread the wealth to ''all of Buchanan County'', and not a privately run boarding school, masquerading as an orphanage.
Power

United States

#193 Dec 19, 2012
Beza student at MMS wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even know who he is ? You are very rude and ignorant.
You don't have a clue and yes I do know who he is and what he is !!!!!!!!! And you will find out soon that he is trash trying hard to be somebody for once in his life, he is the rude one and just ignorant enough to turn something good into nothing but a dictators dream. Don't be fooled by this evil serpent .
Standby

United States

#194 Dec 19, 2012
Power wrote:
Looks to me like he has a big head for spending, rumor has it he won't be around long.
Standby

United States

#195 Dec 19, 2012
wHat wrote:
I wonder how many tractor trailer loads of Christmas presents, have arrived at MMS.
They are kept in the church, until Christmas.
How many Church of Christ, have bought presents, for these less fortunate ''rich'' kids at MMS, and forgot about the coal miner's kids and other poor children in Buchanan County.
I have never seen any Church of Christ or any other churches in this county, bring presents to poor and needy kids here.
The presents are loaded into the dining room, and then they receive them Christmas morning.
If you have this world's goods and see a brother hath need, and shut your bowels of compassion up againist him,how dwelleth the love God in you.
MMS and the other rich Churches of Christ, time to spread the wealth to ''all of Buchanan County'', and not a privately run boarding school, masquerading as an orphanage.
Yes with big flat screen TVs in every room
Don Bloomfield

Portsmouth, OH

#196 Jan 27, 2013
regina steele marrs wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband was there for almost 3yrs and ran away over 80times and hated that place.In the 1960's if the welfare took a family's kids,they'd be there until 18yrs of age.My husband spent over 2yrs in a reform school and would rather be there then MMS.There was child abuse in no certain times in MMS in the 1960's.
I will challenge anyone to show me a poor American kid at MMS now and in the future.They are either from Africa or rich American kids,no orphans any more.
My brother in law teaches there and my brother doesn't visit him.Marvin Swiney,turned into a non-orphan school when he first became President there.Go ask Ron Heller and his wife why they left MMS when Marvin became President,Ron was the smartest teacher to ever teach there.
My husband testified in a trial concerning MMMS in the 1980's and Speedy Dotson if he had not defended himself,would have been a millionaire now.
Lets see if any of this was abuse..being whipped with a hot wheels race track..shaving of the head...being whipped so hard you couldn't sit down to eat lunch.If you was late for breakfast/lunch/supper..you stood up to eat.Being chained to a bed with dog chains..for running away from MMS.So before you speak good of something about MMS...ask someone who knows what went on there and on record in a trial.
My family spent up to 18yrs in there and wasn't orphans...MMS got their Social Security checks from their dad..where did it go.
As for religion...they teach one doctrine there..Church of Christ.No other doctrine is taught there..I wonder how many Africans who are there are Muslims or were they converted.
My husband's name is Johnny Marrs,ask any old MMS teacher..if he knows what he's talking about.Another idea...ask Ron Heller or his wife...why they left.My husband said Ron Heller always said when Marvin Swiney became preident of MMS..he was gone.On the day Marvin became president of MMS...all you seen was Ron Heller's tailights as he left MMS.
ok I was brought there when I was 3 and I stayed there for 11 yrs ,and I remember Johnny so well ,they couldn't keep him there ,he was chained outside on the boys dormitory,and yes if you got out of line you had to stand up to eat and get beat with hot tracks or switches,I ended rheumatic fever there because they didn't recognize strep throat something an antibotic would of took care of ,I've had 3 heart surgerys ,but hey I'm not knocking the school too much ,but back in them days they made you do things a human wouldn't do today,I would love to go back and see it now ,but back then that swineys and his wife where there to take over and get rich ,my theory,but hey for kids that have no place to go,it would work,just watch your back,I seen them sing at Bristol motor speedway,NASCAR,they was good,just hope they don't do things that they use to do,tell Johnny I said hey,and ask him if he remembers my brother Carl he ran away about 30 times,I was young.
Don Bloomfield

Portsmouth, OH

#197 Jan 27, 2013
Former Student wrote:
I would like to clarify a few things that was said by Mrs Marrs. First, I know your husband and went to school with him. I liked him and his family very much. I'm sorry that he has such bad memories but for myself the good out ways the bad. Second, my brother and I were orphans and received social security checks. A portion (very small)of that was taken for our care and we were given an allowance every month and the rest was put into a savings account by Mrs.Sublett. If we wanted extra money for choir trips, clothes,etc. We only had to ask. After graduation we were given the savings account books to get our money.
Third, Johnny Dotson was a troubled young man. I knew him personally and he was only being led by a horrible man who had it in for MMS. I was personally approched by JD and this man and offered money to tell lies. Fourth, at the time of the whippings that you described, parents everywhere were whipping their children. I received more whipping at the hands of foster parents than at MMS. You need to remember that every child is precious and in need of a loving environment. No its not the same as being in a loving home with a mother and father but most times that was not possible. Society has changed since MMS was conceived. Now the state steps in and puts the area children in foster care. I personally know of several people who only takes these kids for the money. Are they any better? "Judge not lest you be judged" I thank God every day that I was chosen by him to attend this wonderful school. I was taught values that have remained with me and make me a better person for having been a part of the MMS family. I am PROUD to be an alumni of this fine school and would want my kids or grandkids to be there if for some reason we were unable to care for them.
,god is good since you know Johnny,whowould you be,remember mr platt how he would beat you or pull your hair if you didn't like something,it was unreal back in the 60's
Don Bloomfield

Portsmouth, OH

#198 Jan 27, 2013
Former Student wrote:
Johnny, I was there in the 70's and the incidents with the shaving of the heads was to discourage the kids from running away. The hot wheels track was only used by Mrs Grannert who was an old woman and couldn't chase you guys around. My brother has told me of these things and yes he had his head shaved too. He denys anyone ever using chains to tie anyone in bed. I'm not brainwashed by anyone. Believe me I didn't like the place when I was there either but upon becoming an adult and having children of my own I have realized that the teachers there had more patience than I gave them credit for. No they were not perfect just as you and I are not perfect. As for the religious doctrines that you keep talking about, several of my friends were catholic and they will tell you that they were not discouraged from practicing their religion. As the school is sponsored by church of christ, its only logical that this be the domination that is preached wouldn't you agree? It is our job as parents to lead our children not have them lead us.
Johnny you need to let go of the past and live in the present. I do know you and your family and I hope that you will let this go and as you are suppose to be a preacher now maybe you should ask the lord to help you forgive whatever trangressions you feel were done to you. Remember the lords prayer? We said it every morning. Love your family and the lord and move forward. God bless you.
now you would be you,I remember they chained him up outside all night long,but hey I let the past go ,I wished I never went there,didn't teach me what life was about on the outside,like god says turn the other cheek
Don Bloomfield

Portsmouth, OH

#199 Jan 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Go and do some research on MMS...did you know?
Mountain Mission first charter was for white kids only of either sex.Not my words...it's in the history.For the record,no black kids attended MMS until the 1970's.I wonder if MMS was a racist place?
I wonder if they ever changed their charter?
it was all white in the 60's and 70's, I don't remember one black,yellow or African
Don Bloomfield

Portsmouth, OH

#200 Jan 27, 2013
wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, Ernie is not principal and does not have a brother at MMS
he was the basketball coach and baseball ,I helped make the ballpark behind the school
Don Bloomfield

Portsmouth, OH

#201 Jan 27, 2013
JES wrote:
<quoted text>
Who was the first black kid to go to MMS? A lot of people thought the Santiago kids were black. They got there in the 60's. Are you referring the the kids that Sam Hurley hid and educated back behind the school when it was illegal to educate blacks?
i remember santiagos but they where Hispanic ,not black

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Since: Jun 11

Big Rock,Va

#202 Jan 27, 2013
Don Bloomfield wrote:
<quoted text>i remember santiagos but they where Hispanic ,not black
I remember you Don , long time since we've saw each other. You were there when I was there and can verify the truth.

I have done a lot of research on MMS, and you'd be shocked at what I've found.

Posted by

Johnny Marrs
bloomfield

Portsmouth, OH

#203 Jan 27, 2013
<quoted text>
I remember you Don , long time since we've saw each other. You were there when I was there and can verify the truth.
I have done a lot of research on MMS, and you'd be shocked at what I've found.
Posted by
Johnny Marrs
hey johnny i just hope they treat the kids better than they use to, mr platt and granny and the swinneys, they loved beating on ya i believe, but hey sometimes it was fun trying to get away from granny, that school didnt teach me nothing about the outside world like they should of, i just hope that aint a place for people too get rich from families, but hey johnny hope your doing good never forget all the times the cops was looking for ya and bring you back in chains, it was a prison back then, i agree,

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#204 Jan 28, 2013
bloomfield wrote:
<quoted text>hey johnny i just hope they treat the kids better than they use to, mr platt and granny and the swinneys, they loved beating on ya i believe, but hey sometimes it was fun trying to get away from granny, that school didnt teach me nothing about the outside world like they should of, i just hope that aint a place for people too get rich from families, but hey johnny hope your doing good never forget all the times the cops was looking for ya and bring you back in chains, it was a prison back then, i agree,
The only kids up there now , are African immigrant kids or something like that.
I remember Mr. Swiney very well and his switches and unable to sit down and eat after he quit beating me. I also remember Granny and her hot wheel race car tracks , Mr. Platt, locking the dining room doors if we were late and no food.
I am doing great, I am on Facebook as Johnny Marrs , add me if you have it , love to hear from you.

Posted by
Johnny Marrs
Charlie Babes

Roanoke, VA

#205 Jan 28, 2013
Painful but true wrote:
I believe that the students are not abused now. But I was a student after the 80's and early 90's and I was abused. I am a female beaten by male teachers with a paddle swung like a baseball batt. I was told to bend over and touch my toes. I have back broblems now because of this. I too was seperated from my family and not allowed to be in the same room. The only time I could spend with my family was at the dinning room table. I was abused emotionally and physically. I know that abuse doesnt go on today at the School now but back in the day I cried myself many nights wishing I would die.
I remember Miss Abbot beating me with that big paddle of hers in 5th grade. That big, fat dyke never liked me. Platt liked to pull up on boys pants so that they would be tight on their butts and offer no cushion when he beat them. He also liked to make the boys bend over and grab their ankles so they exposed more butt to hit. But the baddest of all was Sublett. I saw him whip a boy with his belt until the boy had blood welts all over his butt and legs. That was a brutal beating and took that boy a long time to heal. It was criminal. When I heard he had Parkinsons, I didn't feel a bit sorry for him. That man was brutal. He ran that place like a prison camp. But his sons had lots of fun with the girls there...

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#206 Jan 28, 2013
Charlie Babes wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember Miss Abbot beating me with that big paddle of hers in 5th grade. That big, fat dyke never liked me. Platt liked to pull up on boys pants so that they would be tight on their butts and offer no cushion when he beat them. He also liked to make the boys bend over and grab their ankles so they exposed more butt to hit. But the baddest of all was Sublett. I saw him whip a boy with his belt until the boy had blood welts all over his butt and legs. That was a brutal beating and took that boy a long time to heal. It was criminal. When I heard he had Parkinsons, I didn't feel a bit sorry for him. That man was brutal. He ran that place like a prison camp. But his sons had lots of fun with the girls there...
Hate to say it , but Parkinson disease couldn't happen to someone worse then Swiney.

Everyone should read some of the Johnny Dotson's trial and what happened afterward. MMS was never found innocent , Johnny Dotson's lawyers filed the Appeal too late.

People of Buchanan County, should be ASHAMED of theirselves, for allowing such an institution to cover up CHILD ABUSE/CHILD MOLESTATION/FORCED ADOPTIONS to occur and no one answers. I hope people sleep good at night , when so many innocent children were abused and taken from their homes.

Posted by
Johnny Marrs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how to hack person on moviestarplanet get there... (Jun '13) 4 hr oliviademe 103
Camp E-Ma-Etu An Eckerd Youth Alternatives camp... (May '07) 6 hr Monteego Alpachino 244
On Craigslist, ghosts of Christmases past 7 hr Tom 1
This Diwali let us light up a smile not a cracker 8 hr sivakasideal 1
Political holiday cards of 2014 - " and some fl... 12 hr many scary flashb... 1
Cops go Christmas shopping with kids 13 hr no joke 3
Free Fantage Accounts (for real!) (Jul '13) 15 hr alyssa781150 59
More from around the web