Cove Student Suspended for Talking To Dad in Iraq

Apr 4, 2008 Full story: KXXV-TV Waco 398

“He says that doesn't matter. You're not to have your phone in class and he came back out and wrote me up and sent me to the office”

It could be the last phone call between a father and a son. A parents claims that Copperas Cove High School was out of line for suspending her son for answering a phone call during school hours from his father ... via KXXV-TV Waco

Full Story
Kommunist Kove

United States

#254 Apr 17, 2008
Cove Parent wrote:
The rally will be THIS Saturday. At 10 am at Cove High School so classes will not be interrupted.
Rep Carter and Chet Edwards will be there. The person will be held responsible.
ROTLMAO. Carter and Edwards cannot do anything about CCISD. I'm sure there will be thousands of participants!~! LOL
It's time to admit it - this family is one messed up unit thinking they can be put above an entire class.
Hopefully the kid will learn from this; obviously the parents are too ignorant to understand.
NO WAY

United States

#255 Apr 17, 2008
Cove Parent wrote:
The rally will be THIS Saturday. At 10 am at Cove High School so classes will not be interrupted.

Oh yes this will really help should we bring our torches and pitchforks too?
OH boy an old fasioned lynching Yea!!!!! Who is bringing the rope?
NO WAY

United States

#256 Apr 17, 2008
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Just admit you are heartless.He is in Iraq.
And your point is..........
CCHS students

Belton, TX

#257 Apr 17, 2008
I don't know if anyone is aware, but the newspaper article that was written about the "orange shirt manifesto" in the Killeen daily herald was biased towards the leading principal, Dr. Carol Saxenian. I am a student of Copperas Cove High School, and I have tried my hardest to work with the woman to get things done, but her response is always, "I'll look into it and get back to you." It is now almost May, and I have never gotten her promise, nor have we as seniors gotten any results. She claims she is unaware of any issues of disappointment and anger among the students, which is a lie. Along with a few other students who have respectfully voiced there opinions to her, it would be hard to not realize the negative feelings. Lines of communication? They were stopped on her part. Miscommunication? If a person can miscommunicate that much, it's time perhaps that she needs to learn some people skills and the art of rhetoric.
As for some of you who are speaking about how Cove students are disrespectful to the teachers and that this whole situation is being taken out of proportion, I pity you. You have obviously failed to realize the premise of our protests. Yes, there are the "hoodlems" who go to CCHS just like all the other high schools. However, the people who created the protests are the people who understand what's really going on. We are the students who understand the working of CCHS's crooked system.
We do not bash the teachers, as our general aim is Saxenian. I wore an orage shirt to school because of Carol Saxinian blatant disregard and lack of consideration for me when she has lied to my face all year. When I walked into my first period class my teacher told me to take the shirt off because she said it was disrespectful to her and other teachers. She said that even though we as students are aiming at Saxenian we are representing all of CCHS which affects the teachers as well. I thought about it for a second, and found her statement hypocritical. I am top of my class, and I don't know how many times that teacher has degraded our class by telling us that she didn't know how we were going to make it after high school because we have no drive. Although she was just aiming at a few students who are slacking because graduation is coming up, it still affected us all. As Valedictorian I have to constantly keep up with my grades, and hearing her say we will go nowhere does not sit well with me. Even though she is aiming her statments at a few students, it still gets to us all as we are punished with even more work to get those slackers into "check". Thus I told her that her actions were no different than ours, and why should she be any better than us. She did not respond.
You see, us who understand what is going on cannot account for those at the high school who just jumped on the band wagon. However, we can still push forward our beliefs and get others to see the wrongdoings and the lack of effort put forward by Saxenian.
Saxenian even considered punishment for the 60 students wearing the orange shirts. Why? It complied with all dress code regulations and did not break any kind of rule. I think the real problem on her part was that it exposed her lack of committment to the students of CCHS, and she is now in the red because whether people believe it or not, the defects of CCHS are being revealed, most dealing with Saxenian. So don't be too quick to judge, matters are deeper than what you are seeing on the surface. Try living a day in this high school, with hypocritical rules, and the constant lack of respect for the student body not just the teachers.
NO WAY

United States

#258 Apr 17, 2008
I am impressed with the Valedictorian's comments. I agree there are probably problems. The thing is the AP's have been lumped in with her along with the teachers and other staff. The AP that was following policy has been made the bad guy, by both DR.Sax, the parent and the media. I think had Dr. Sax followed policy and called the parent immediatly none of this would have happened. the cell phone policy is there for a reason. Now what goes for one should go for all so all the students at CCHS should talk on their phones during in class. Don't try in in college though.
DawgDave

United States

#259 Apr 17, 2008
I believe you, CCHS students. My daughter is a junior there at CCHS and she's never gotten in trouble - usually honor roll and plays sports. Yet she has said basically the same thing - this woman is out of touch with the students and the faculty.
I think the School Board messed up hiring her in the first place. She came from Waco ISD where I imagine her strict rules needed to be in place.
NO WAY

United States

#260 Apr 17, 2008
Cove Parent wrote:
The rally is a political rally for this is a voting year. I really doubt this insignificant issue will be the center, When we have say: inflation, high gas prices, the housing mess, the war. this rally was already planned. You make it sound as if they are just for this. Get your facts straight. You might make yourself look like an idiot,
Kommunist Kove

United States

#261 Apr 17, 2008
NO WAY wrote:
<quoted text>
The rally is a political rally for this is a voting year. I really doubt this insignificant issue will be the center, When we have say: inflation, high gas prices, the housing mess, the war. this rally was already planned. You make it sound as if they are just for this. Get your facts straight. You might make yourself look like an idiot,
Well, it's kind of along these lines. If it looks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, smells like an idiot, then it is an idiot.
CenTex Dave

United States

#262 Apr 17, 2008
The latest media article from the Cove Herald:
http://www.thecoveherald.com/news/story.aspx...

It's obvious the students do not like or care for the principal, Dr. Saxenian. Read carefully what she has changed at the school. What stuck in my mind was she did away reciting the Pledge of Allegiance during the morning's first class.
This woman is doing no good at this school and should be replaced.
To all Cove residents: There is a City Council and School Board Candidate forum at the VFW on Veterans Ave at 10AM (city council) and 12PM (school board candidates) on Sat, Apr 26. If I were you I'd attend and ask these candidates, if they have the courage to attend, some tough questions concerning this.
Kommunist Kove

United States

#263 Apr 17, 2008
I have already planned on being there to slam dunk the city council. This gives me more ammo.
There's another interesting article concerning the students' protest wearing their orange T-shirts:

http://www.thecoveherald.com/news/story.aspx...

I agree with some others - this principal needs to be carefully evaluated at the end of this school year which is only 6 weeks away. I truly believe the CCISD School Board needs to get rid of her.
Tonya

Killeen, TX

#264 Apr 17, 2008
Kommunist Kove wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTLMAO. Carter and Edwards cannot do anything about CCISD. I'm sure there will be thousands of participants!~! LOL
It's time to admit it - this family is one messed up unit thinking they can be put above an entire class.
Hopefully the kid will learn from this; obviously the parents are too ignorant to understand.
Great!
Tonya

Killeen, TX

#265 Apr 17, 2008
No the Principal for suspending him, I hope :)
Tonya

Killeen, TX

#266 Apr 17, 2008
NO WAY wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes this will really help should we bring our torches and pitchforks too?
OH boy an old fasioned lynching Yea!!!!! Who is bringing the rope?
Hell yea! A lynching for the person who suspended him.
Tonya

Killeen, TX

#267 Apr 17, 2008
Kommunist Kove wrote:
<quoted text>
BFD. I spent two tours in Vietnam. We got to call home, using shortwave radio (MARS) about once a month.
That was then...This is now.
Tonya

Killeen, TX

#268 Apr 17, 2008
NO WAY wrote:
I am impressed with the Valedictorian's comments. I agree there are probably problems. The thing is the AP's have been lumped in with her along with the teachers and other staff. The AP that was following policy has been made the bad guy, by both DR.Sax, the parent and the media. I think had Dr. Sax followed policy and called the parent immediatly none of this would have happened. the cell phone policy is there for a reason. Now what goes for one should go for all so all the students at CCHS should talk on their phones during in class. Don't try in in college though.
Most professors in college in military towns would allow you to answer a call from Iraq if you leave the classroom.

Since: Apr 08

Copperas Cove

#269 Apr 17, 2008
NO WAY wrote:
<quoted text>
I contacted there offices and they will be here for this. They both are strong supporters of the military family and disagree with what the school did.
Dan

Killeen, TX

#270 Apr 17, 2008
Guess there are morons with no common sense running schools everywhere. Ease up on the kid. I can't imagine going without a loved one like that who is fighting in that mess this government has created.
Dan

Killeen, TX

#271 Apr 17, 2008
Cove Parent wrote:
I am there with all of you!
NO WAY

United States

#272 Apr 17, 2008
Tonya wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell yea! A lynching for the person who suspended him.
You are a idiot. Get the facts this family has manipulated public opinion and the media get what they wanted. They got it. This is a tiny problem in the big picture. If people running for office take this on they need more to do.

Since: Apr 08

Harker Heights

#273 Apr 17, 2008
cove parent wrote:
<quoted text>I contacted there offices and they will be here for this. They both are strong supporters of the military family and disagree with what the school did.
I took your advice and called both their offices. They will NOT be in attendance for the rally nor are they sending anyone to represent their offices.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 13 min Just Asking 31,423
how to hack person on moviestarplanet get there... (Jun '13) 19 hr prettychick24 62
dizzywood accounts (Dec '09) 20 hr Annabell 231
Unwanted "Stardoll" Accounts (May '10) Wed Demoliton Grenade 1,284
Forest Lake residents to vote on district's lev... (May '14) Wed Oh bit 5
moviestarplanet free account! (Jul '13) Wed dfg 139
After Trayvon Martin, Chilling Ad Offers Bullet... Wed yep at u two 4

Kids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE