State sues to revoke Sunwest license, exclude top executives

Last October, California's Department of Social Services filed a scathing action against Sunwest Management, an Oregon-based corporation that manages residential health care facilities for the elderly and it's ... Full Story
First Prev
of 126
Next Last
Linda Timmons

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 May 28, 2007
I worked at a Sunwest Management facility, i know this is true because i witnessed a lot of the same things at the facility where i worked for quite a while.
Jeannine Ryan

United States

#2 Jun 10, 2007
Patients are not cared for. Left without caregivers. Not given medication. Oxygen not given properly. REAL LACK OF CARE. DANGEROUS.
Nephew

Rochester, NY

#3 Jul 28, 2007
I am a former employee also! Bad news, great liers they are! Don't live there, don't work there!
Nephew

Rochester, NY

#4 Jul 28, 2007
Linda Timmons wrote:
I worked at a Sunwest Management facility, i know this is true because i witnessed a lot of the same things at the facility where i worked for quite a while.
Don't live at any one of the facilities and don't work for them! Bad people!
Doris

Edmond, OK

#5 Oct 1, 2007
Sun West hires predorminantly spouses, families, inlaws and close relatives and friends, doing this allow them to violates residents rights and hide safety violations. They also violates hiring blacks and immigrants to any management positions.
Lots of emmbazzlement. One of the ring leaders is JoEllen Rogers vice president of operations.
CDK

AOL

#6 Oct 10, 2007
Sunwest is the absolute worst company I have ever worked for and I am ashamed to have them on my resume. They treat residents and employees with humiliation and general disrespect. This is a company culture that is supported and rewarded by upper managment. I agree with Nephew- don't work there, don't live there! Doris- you are right on-- and right under JoEllen is Lynn Smith and Ange Fletcher.
dink

Canton, GA

#7 Oct 14, 2007
working there now everyone is leaving there are not enough caregiver for the residents and will not let spouse take food to sick wife in their room what the hell is wrong with this company i plan to find out and report it
Jane

Rochester, NY

#8 Oct 15, 2007
good for you dink! this company should be banned in all states!
John Boy

Clifford, Canada

#9 Oct 15, 2007
How about those Red Sox!
Nephew

Rochester, NY

#10 Nov 1, 2007
payroll checks are bouncing AGAIN at Victorian Manor, Batavia, NY owned by Sunwest! Where the hell is the money going?
Marsharella

Peoria, AZ

#11 Nov 5, 2007
I have just given my two week notice at a community owned by Sunwest Management. Why? To start with they do not pay their bills. Zerox would not come out and fix the copier because the company owed them money. Office Depot put our office account on hold for non payment. The steamer in the kitchen is broken and no vender will come out and fix it because Sunwest hasn't paid the last repair bill. They are understaffed and demand that each department stays under budget. I am embarrassed to say that I placed seniors in this environment. The only thing Sunwest cares about is profit. There is a caring staff at this community but they are so over worked and brow beaten that it's disgusting. Salaried emplyees are asked to work six and seven days in a row without time off to make up for the hours given. I was pounded on three times a week for numbers,,,,move-ins....numbers ... I was even asked to take the nurse to the hospital and do an assessment on a possible resident without the family's permission. When I refused I was told that I wasn't being cooperative. These people DO NOT CARE about our residents, they only want profit. DO NOT WORK THERE OR PLACE A LOVED ONE THERE. Our move in numbers run in the negative because our residents are moving out faster that we can place them in our communities, NO THANKS!
I want to look at myself in the mirror and know that I care and will do what is best for the resident. Thank God...goodbye Sunwest.
Answer to LH Charlotte

Gastonia, NC

#12 Nov 6, 2007
POOR MANAGEMENT- POOR LEADERS!! KEEP LOOSING GREAT EMPLOYEES!!
WOW - sounds like I am not the only one that feels the same way about Sunwest. First they hire incompitent leaders that do not have the proper leadership style to motivate staff - Lynn Smith, Katherine Maynard to only name a few. Second, they only try to find the wrong in what you do and never reconize the efforts that are put forth from thier dedicated employees. Training - I don't think they even know the definition. Vendor's are not paid so services that are needed in the facilities are denied. Resident's are not the priority of the company - the bottom line is they do not care. Alot of staff that were employed at our facility has left since Sunwest took over in December - I know there is some turnover but the amount of turn over is unreal!! Like they say you are as strong as your weakest link - weakest link being the administrator. I can say that I would never work for a company again that treats the employees with disrespect that Sunwest does. Just sums up what kind of people are running the company. Would you want your loved one in a place like this?
sunwest stinks

Monroe, NC

#13 Nov 7, 2007
Check this site out:

http://local.yahoo.com/details...
North Carolina

Charlotte, NC

#14 Nov 9, 2007
The Sunwest building I worked in did not pay their utilities until the disconnect notices came. Petty cash checks periodically could not be cashed at the bank due to lack of funds. An occasional payroll check could not be cashed. Salem, Oregon home office employees were aggressive and demanding--surely from working under the same horrible conditions we did at the community level. At a meeting with upset families and residents, the regional manager - Lynn Smith -told them this was the Sunwest way and they certainly had other options if they didn't want to embrace Sunwest. Oh boy, did they exercise those options too!
sunwest stinks

Monroe, NC

#15 Nov 9, 2007
Absolutely no communication within the facility. I couldn't find one of my residents anywhere in the building and then I find out he had been in the hospital for 2 days. There's a communication log, but no one writes anything in it. Another resident didn't come down to 2 meals-no one checks on him (yep, that meal roll call really works, huh?). Now he's in the hospital with Pneumonia-it's a great place.
sick of sunwest

Gastonia, NC

#16 Nov 10, 2007
Why doesn't the local agency do anyhting? Are they on the take by Sunwest and Lynn Smith?? He rules North Carolina like a general at war. He and Ange Fletcher think they can bully staff into doin what they want and not rporting violations. they trump up charge, vioaltions and intimidate employees into not telling. Any employee that is not as knowledgeable backs down, the others quit. In my building I am told to look the other way. I work in Charlotte and our community is run by a male tyrant. He bows to Lynn and kisses his feet. That is the only way to survive. Our residents have poor care suffer poor quality of food and lack of supplies because Sunest is too chep to buy things. I remember the office manager saying our power was about to be cut off. WHY DOESN'T THE STATE DO ANYTHING>>
Sunwest sux

Gastonia, NC

#17 Nov 10, 2007
I agree! Sunwest is devious and inderhanded. They get away with poor care, not paying bills and treating staff terrible. At my place the heat never works and they won't get it fixed. I have trouble finding another job that I can get to when thye hear sunwest they don'tt like me any more. The demened residents get the worst. no activities. Families are made fake promises. DON'T PUT ANYONE HERE! Anywhere Sunwest is they lie
Nephew

Rochester, NY

#18 Nov 10, 2007
why can't all of us ban together to try to stop this company from taking on anymore properties? I am sur a lawyer somewhere would love to take on this one! Let me know at my email tipper4994@yahoo.com
New Yorker

Gastonia, NC

#19 Nov 10, 2007
I think something should be done. How can a company be considered for banning n California, and not have other states looking? The company does not pay bills, employee’s checks bounce and the resident’s suffer because of this. They are made to pay high fees and get nothing n return.
Buildings that aren’t fixed, unqualified employees, administrators that are given no training. This is just the beginning. I hope someone takes action. It is time someone look out for the people living there. They have nowhere else to go. Some of them have no one to help them.
When food is rationed and there isn’t enough to go around …enough is enough. And those placed that have Alzheimer’s patients leave them to sit in their urine because they don’t have enough staff to take them to the bathroom. Weekends and nights are worse. I asked a manager why they get to sleep on the job. My mom walked in the hall to get help because no one answered her call bell and found 3 people sleeping. When it was brought to management attention they pretty much said she was a liar. She is not crazy nor demented. She handles her own meds…..after that the staff refused to give her proper care and retaliated…isn’t that illegal??????????
I’m game for hopping in!
Answer to LH Charlotte

Gastonia, NC

#20 Nov 11, 2007
sick of sunwest wrote:
Why doesn't the local agency do anyhting? Are they on the take by Sunwest and Lynn Smith?? He rules North Carolina like a general at war. He and Ange Fletcher think they can bully staff into doin what they want and not rporting violations. they trump up charge, vioaltions and intimidate employees into not telling. Any employee that is not as knowledgeable backs down, the others quit. In my building I am told to look the other way. I work in Charlotte and our community is run by a male tyrant. He bows to Lynn and kisses his feet. That is the only way to survive. Our residents have poor care suffer poor quality of food and lack of supplies because Sunest is too chep to buy things. I remember the office manager saying our power was about to be cut off. WHY DOESN'T THE STATE DO ANYTHING>>
The administrator at the other Charlotte facility does not only kiss his feet she kisses other areas as well.........they are all in it for the $$- and I recall a time when we had a notice that they were going to cutt off the water at our building. It is a shame they are allowed to manage any property - they probably couln't manage a kennel properly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 126
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elderly Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lack of Long Term Care Insurance Leaves Women V... Dec 16 Alaine Black 1
The marketing of home care shifts into high gear Dec 15 Karen Lorenzo 1
What's the best way to help an elderly dog? (May '09) Dec 15 Laura Struthers 16
For Long-Term Care's Future, 2 Dates Loom Dec 13 Jay bhatt 2
Legal Corner: Protecting the elderly from abuse... Dec 13 Worse in Ohio 1
Elderly mother making noises (Nov '10) Dec 13 pat 4
Improving Long-Term Care in Wisconsin Dec 9 kurtcooksalot16 2
More from around the web