Moms Head to Capitol Hill to Fight Prescription Drug Abuse

Full story: ABC News 11
Doctors believe Misty Fetko's son Carl combined cough syrup with fentanyl, a powerful prescription narcotic for pain, and that led to his death. Full Story
Brian

United States

#1 Aug 1, 2006
I do not understand how this womans loss is the fault of 1.) Alza Pharma, 2.) Medical Doctors treating a person in pain, 3.) The fault of the person prescrobed the medicine for allowing it to get out of their hands/control?

Did her son get ahold of medicine that was stolen from a pharmacy? Wether or not he knew where it was from is not the issue, Ms. Fetko's son injested the cough medicine and fentanyl not alzo or any other drug maker. Here in FL. There are approx 10 pharmacies a month that are knocked over for 1000's of tablets of oxycodone/oxycontin and fentanyl transdermal patches. Who do you hold accountable for thecriminal element violently stealing this medication?

Yes go to capitol hill and criminalize the entire pain community for the willful actions of an individual that happened to be your son. I hope and pray that you will someday come to clouser for this terrible loss but I also hope that you can open your eyes to the fact that it is not the fault of the pharmacutical company for making medicine that it was abused any more than it is the fault of a bullet making factory that their bullet kills someone. It is sold for one reason but can be used for many other reasons.
Halloween jack

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Aug 1, 2006
well sounds like he wanted to die i dont think this was a mistake on his part ....why did he want to take both knowing the fentanyl could have killed him but then throw in codone cough syurp he would sleep forever may be he had depression ..i dont know i just know pain meds work for myself thank you brian....for speaking up
Christine

AOL

#3 Sep 4, 2006
I am very sorry for your loss I lost my son as well
DR KNOW

Kinston, NC

#4 Jan 20, 2007
This woman should be shot to remove her stupidity from our society.
I am tired of people trying to remove something because of what someone uses it on them self for.
Its as stupid as the seatbelt law. The goverment doesn't care about your safety! They only care about that money they get from handing out that ticket.
You idiot people need to stop trying to outlaw everything!

“Wishing all pain free days!”

Since: Jan 07

Lincoln Park, MI

#5 Jan 20, 2007
Hello, I don't know about shooting the lady, lol, but I know what you are saying. It is a tragedy what happened to her son. But, there was obviously already a problem going on with him. I had read it to my 20 year old daughter, and exactly what Starman said, the first thing she said was 'he sounds like he was trying to kill himself'. Why else would you put a strong patch on and then drink a whole bottle of cough syrup? The other alternative is that he was already on drugs and looking for the ultimate high. Either way the patch did not put itself on him. If you drink a couple bottles of cough syrup you can overdose, I don't see these people going after that company. If you step in front of a bus you will probably die, do we stop using and making the buses? No? Why not? Because lots of people take the bus and depend on it for their day to day living for work, etc. There is a safe way to get on the bus. Anyways, you get my point, you could take a thousand things and if you use them the wrong way you could get hurt and/or killed. I read hese to my husband off and I , who has seen what pain can do to someone he loves, how if effests their life and family, and he always says 'heaven help these people if they come to a day they are in pain and have nothing to use to take the pain away for them'...I have to agree with him...
ablaze

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Mar 5, 2007
ANSWER TO DR KNOW ,U ARE RIGHT THE GOV DOES NOT CARE ABOUT WHO GET HARMED BY WHAT, THIS WOMAN LIKE MANY OF US HAS GOT TO GO AFTER THE FDA AND DRUG COMPANYS. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME AND RESEARCH THE DRUGS THAT ARE PERSCRIBED FOR YOU AND FOR WHAT REASON, EXAMPLE: MY HUSB GOT AN ANTIBOTIC, AND ALSO A PAIN MED WHICH IS A NARCOTIC, THE HANDOUT THAT CAME WITH THE DRUGS(FOR PAIN) STATES DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG WITH AN ANTIBOTIC??????? NOW IS THIS DOUBLE TALK OR WHAT? YES IF MORE PEOPLE WOULD FIGHT THESE DISHONEST DRUG COMPANYS WE WOULD HAVE LESS SUICIDES AND INJURYS AND ALL WOULD BE ALOT HEALTHIER. MONEY TALKS, THIS IS THE RULE OF THUMB FOR DRUG CO AND DRS WHERE WOULD THEY BE WITHOUT US????????THINK ABOUT IT. THEY GET RICHER WE GET POORER STAY SAFE DO NOT TAKE ANY DRUG THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES SEARCH IT FOR YOURSELVES SAVE A LIFE DO NOT TAKE ANY DRUGS THE SIDE EFFECTS ARE WORSE , MANY WOULD NOT KNOW A THING IF THE SIDE EFFECTS WERE NOT TOLD TO US THRU TV ADS . DO RESEARCH, THEY EVEN TELL U NOT TO GIVE A CHILD UNDER TWO COUGH SYRUP DOES THIS TELL U ALL SOMETHING.

“Gazing Into The MiddleDistance”

Las Vegas, NV

#7 Mar 5, 2007
Ablaze, sometimes medication is the only answer to pain. Alternatives do not work for all.

And where did she say she was going after the pharma. companies? And like Brian said, on what grounds?
stephanie

AOL

#8 Mar 12, 2007
DR KNOW wrote:
This woman should be shot to remove her stupidity from our society.
I am tired of people trying to remove something because of what someone uses it on them self for.
Its as stupid as the seatbelt law. The goverment doesn't care about your safety! They only care about that money they get from handing out that ticket.
You idiot people need to stop trying to outlaw everything!
So if someone gets a hold of your meds u should be shot people like u is what makes loosing a child the worst u keep helping us do what we already do and thats blame r selve i am not saying the people who r perscribed this drug and there child gets hold of them should not take some of the blame but the drug companies need to take some blame now and for the woman who lost her son i am sorry and i am looking for people to join my fight i lost my 4 yr old son because he thought the patch was a sticker tattoo or a bandaid nothing will bring them back but we can do things to help there memmory and for u i think judgemental people should be taken out and shot u don't know what it feels like apparently to loose a child u should walk a day in r shoes.

“Striving to be better daily”

Zephyrhills, Fl

#9 Mar 13, 2007
stephanie wrote:
<quoted text>So if someone gets a hold of your meds u should be shot people like u is what makes loosing a child the worst u keep helping us do what we already do and thats blame r selve i am not saying the people who r perscribed this drug and there child gets hold of them should not take some of the blame but the drug companies need to take some blame now and for the woman who lost her son i am sorry and i am looking for people to join my fight i lost my 4 yr old son because he thought the patch was a sticker tattoo or a bandaid nothing will bring them back but we can do things to help there memmory and for u i think judgemental people should be taken out and shot u don't know what it feels like apparently to loose a child u should walk a day in r shoes.
WHY WHY WHY should the drug company take some blame?????? They did not open the patch and set it on the counter or table or put it in the garbage can. They printed in every box on the big form that are inside: DISPOSE of this in the TOILET not the garbage.

They hold the responsibility of making a medicine that helps many people live normal and active lives.

I have a 1 year old and I purposely put my patches on in another room and throw away all of the materials in another garbage that he does not see since he saw the plastic backing of one of my patches and thought it was to stick on his arm. That scared the death out of me! It would be my fault if he got a hold of my patch and put it on his little body. They are locked in a safe and do not come out except every 3 days and they get cut to shreds and wrapped in toilet paper and flushed as soon as they come off my body so they neither he nor some addict working at the sewage plant cannot get a hold of it and die because of me.

Yes there is blame but how on earth can someone that made the patch for chronic and unending pain be held accountable for making the patch? It just seems like the new American way, blame everyone not the one.
Stephanie

AOL

#10 Mar 13, 2007
tamadrummer wrote:
<quoted text>
WHY WHY WHY should the drug company take some blame?????? They did not open the patch and set it on the counter or table or put it in the garbage can. They printed in every box on the big form that are inside: DISPOSE of this in the TOILET not the garbage.
They hold the responsibility of making a medicine that helps many people live normal and active lives.
I have a 1 year old and I purposely put my patches on in another room and throw away all of the materials in another garbage that he does not see since he saw the plastic backing of one of my patches and thought it was to stick on his arm. That scared the death out of me! It would be my fault if he got a hold of my patch and put it on his little body. They are locked in a safe and do not come out except every 3 days and they get cut to shreds and wrapped in toilet paper and flushed as soon as they come off my body so they neither he nor some addict working at the sewage plant cannot get a hold of it and die because of me.
Yes there is blame but how on earth can someone that made the patch for chronic and unending pain be held accountable for making the patch? It just seems like the new American way, blame everyone not the one.
I live with pain everyday and i also live with the pain of my illness and just so you all know I blame myself every day
MetalPsyduck

Orange, CA

#12 Jul 7, 2013
MetalPsyduck

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 20 min Doug Wiedeman 31,503
Single mom, 5 kids homeless after fire 50 min ATVrider 4
Resisting reality no way to address pregnancy i... (Nov '06) 1 hr jiv 2
3 reasons Grand Rapids-area Muslims want to ope... 2 hr tom_ 21
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 2 hr dee lightful 162
Court bars kids from Jehovah's Witness activities 5 hr UNchained 31
For Once the Anti-Vaxxers Aren't (Entirely) to ... 14 hr New mom 5
More from around the web